Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BEATING A HASTY RETREAT  (Read 20597 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BEATING A HASTY RETREAT
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2003, 10:14:51 AM »

bk, I adore GUY HAINES - His Way and I like that song. Believe it or not, I had never been curious enough to investigate who wrote the songs of the ones on the album I wasn't familiar with, well, except "Chinese Food in Bed" which I like also quite a bit. So, now I can say I DO really like ONE of Mr. Legrand's tunes.

If you don't believe I liked the CD, just read my review of it at Amazon.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 10:28:25 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2003, 10:48:54 AM »

I'm rather partial to Legrand's Picasso Suite.  I managed to catch the film, Picasso Summer, on late night television some time ago, and found it strange and enchanting.  I can understand why it didn't get much of a theatrical release, but it's the sort of film insomniacs need to see more often in the wee hours.  (I understand the animation of the Picasso paintings was done by the Hubleys.)

Of course, I mentioned "Windmills of Your Mind" yesterday as one of my favorite Oscar winners.

And thanks to all for reminding me of Amour, which I really should seek out.  I've got it on my must-get list now!

Oh, as for retreats being hasty, and not slow, if retreats aren't hasty they lack a beat and you can't dance to them.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2003, 11:05:41 AM »

By the way, I would have joined in the late-nite posting, but der Brucer heard me clattering about in the kitchen, got up, and took over the computer.  I finally gave up and went to bed, which was very crowded since Marty, Mikey, Buster and Bonnie all curled up around me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2003, 11:19:49 AM »

Tomorrow, Sunday December 14, DW Joy and I will be appearing at the free holiday concert at the Donnell Library, 20 W. 53rd, NYC, at 2:30.

This is a concert devoted to new holiday songs by living, working, musical theatre writers.  So it's not like your typical holiday concert.

We'll be singing Say Amen! from Our Wedding - The Musical with Joy singing the part originally sung by the Right Reverend Matthew Simms Hamel.  I'll be doing the choir part.

If you purchase the CD today at www.WeddingMusical.com it should arrive in time for Christmas.

In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Michael

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2003, 12:31:26 PM »

I had mentioned earlier that the song The Summer Knows (The Love Theme From Summer of '42} was written after the theme became popular. I am looking for songs that used the original film composers music. Not looking for songs that were inspired by movies like " Heartlight (Inspired by ET)  The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde (Inspired by Bonnie and Clyde and the poem by Bonnie Parker. Also songs that were released prior to the films' release, but not in them in order to help promote film like Sink the Bismark and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

Here are some other songs. Can you add to them?

Doctor Zhivago
Somewhere My Love (Lara's Theme)

The Go-Between
I Still See You

The Godfather
Speak Soflty Love (The Love Theme From the The Godfather)
Come Live Your Life With Me (The Godfather Waltz)

Gone With the Wind
My Own True Love (Theme From Tara)

Laura
Laura

Love Story
Where Do I Begin? (The Love The From Love Story)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallence
The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallence (Written for the film and recorded but not used. It was released after the film and theme music became popular)

Modern Times
Smile

Nuts
Two People

Out of Africa
The Music of Goodbye

Romeo and Julliet
A Time For Us

Somewhere In Time
Somewhere In Time

The Summer of '42
The Summer Knows (The Love Theme From Summer of '42}

and
Around the World In 80 Days
In which a musical was written based on themes of Victor Young

and a very round about way

2001: A Space Odyssey
'Also Sprach Zarathustra' (see Debbie Gravitte's MGM Album)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 02:26:36 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2003, 12:40:27 PM »

DR Jrand wrote:
I was up early to go to WalMart at 3 a.m. with my sister Molly...home at 4:20 a.m. back to WalMart with my Mom....home at 5:35...off to Kroger home by 6:15!  Whew!

Okay I won't even ask why Walmart is open at 3am.  But why on earth would you get up that early to go there?  I've heard of trying to avoid Christmas crowds. But you could not pay me to get out of my warm bed to shop at 3am.  And this is from someone who was shopping today for 5 hours (and whose feet are killing her).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 12:44:03 PM by Jennifer »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2003, 12:42:45 PM »

She of the Evil Eye is gone and I am back and rather amazed that many people are still off in tarnation.  Shocking, do you hear me?  After we gave them such a good head start.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2003, 12:45:50 PM »

I am so tired. My feet are literally throbbing. I hate that.

Question for DRs.  If you have to return something to an online store such as amazon (i don't need to but I am curious), do you have to pay to have it shipped back. Or can you simply "return to sender".

Tomovoz

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2003, 12:46:10 PM »

Michael I think "Eternally" (Limelight) was not used in the film, and "Race To The End" (Chariots Of Fire) and "Can You Read My Mind" (Superman). There are lyrics written for "Never On Sunday" and "Zorba The Greek" which were written after the movies too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2003, 12:49:01 PM »

Add "Stranger in The Night" to the list too (I think!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2003, 12:51:03 PM »

I just realized that I will be at my aunt's tomorrow all day baking cookies. How crappy is that gonna be since I won't be able to eat any of them :(

I have a craving for a Harvey's hamburger (which i could eat minus the bun). But it is so cold outside.  I can't believe that it rained just a few days ago, and now we have frigid temps again.

Michael

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2003, 12:52:10 PM »

Michael I think "Eternally" (Limelight) was not used in the film, and "Race To The End" (Chariots Of Fire) and "Can You Read My Mind" (Superman). There are lyrics written for "Never On Sunday" and "Zorba The Greek" which were written after the movies too.

Actually Can You Read My Mind (Superman) is in the film, but it is spoken rather the sung and that is why it was not eligable for an oscar nomination.

Never On a Sunday was in the movie and it won an Oscar for it. I am not familar with the song for Zorba the Greek.

I just added a couple of more to the list.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 12:52:30 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2003, 12:53:27 PM »

Oh my gosh, I am so out of it. I could not figure out who was being referred to when someone mentioned "tomovoz".  Why the change, it confuses me! :)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2003, 12:54:27 PM »

"Can You Read My Mind" (Superman). There are lyrics written for "Never On Sunday" and "Zorba The Greek" which were written after the movies too.

My memory is that those embarrassing lyrics to Can You Read My Mind (a tune John Williams cadged from Franz Schubert) were indeed in the film - spoken by Margo Kidder.

Or this could have been a bad dream I once had.

www.WeddingMusical.com
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2003, 01:00:28 PM »

I think "Love Story" and "Romeo And Juliet" also were later provided with lyrics for their themes.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2003, 01:00:53 PM »

My memory is that those embarrassing lyrics to Can You Read My Mind (a tune John Williams cadged from Franz Schubert) were indeed in the film - spoken by Margo Kidder.

Or this could have been a bad dream I once had.

www.WeddingMusical.com

No it wasn't a bad dream. It was during the flying ballet sequence
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 01:01:20 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2003, 01:02:55 PM »

I think "Love Story" and "Romeo And Juliet" also were later provided with lyrics for their themes.

You right. I forgot to post Romeo and Julliet even thought I had it on my list. Love Story is there as Where Do I Begin
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2003, 01:04:31 PM »

I am so tired. My feet are literally throbbing. I hate that.

Question for DRs.  If you have to return something to an online store such as amazon (i don't need to but I am curious), do you have to pay to have it shipped back. Or can you simply "return to sender".

DR Jenn:

You can find the answer to this question by logging on to the site itself.  Amazon will answer your question if you simply look for the information.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2003, 01:08:56 PM »

I think there was one for Earthquake

"I Feel The Earth Move"

I feel the earth move
Under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down
I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2003, 01:26:57 PM »

DR Michael. I was in fact quite aware of the oscar going to "Never On Sunday" but they were Greek lyrics. There were other sets of lyrics (not translations) that were popularised by singers such as Eydie Gorme  and The Chordettes. Connie Francis attacked "Zorba" with "Dance the Night Away". Somehow did not remember you had listed "Love Story" - distracted by breakfast tea and toast.

DR Jennifer: Bill Orr wrote my name that way the other day and I thought it was cute! I figured if Michael could change from MDS it was time for me to change name too. But has anyone noticed the new quotes?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 01:36:50 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2003, 01:36:07 PM »

Of course there were songs written too late for inclusion or inspired by the films: Georgie Fame's "Ballad Of Bonnie & Clyde", Johnny Burnette's "Sink the Bismarck", Gene Pitney's "Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and the more complete version of "Mrs Robinson".  I think the Marty Robbins "Ballad Of The Alamo" was after the film too. (At least it got to the soundtrack album). Also "Ballad Of The One-Eyed Jacks" by Johnny Burnette.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 01:44:39 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2003, 01:42:49 PM »

How remiss of me to ignore these in the Topic Of The Day: The Theme From "The Go Between" (I Still See You) and "Sea And Sky" (recorded by Dusty Springfield".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2003, 01:49:35 PM »

Of course there were songs written too late for inclusion or inspired by the films: Georgie Fame's "Ballad Of Bonnie & Clyde", Johnny Burnette's "Sink the Bismarck", Gene Pitney's "Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and the more complete version of "Mrs Robinson".  I think the Marty Robbins "Ballad Of The Alamo" was after the film too. (At least it got to the soundtrack album). Also "Ballad Of The One-Eyed Jacks" by Johnny Burnette.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance is correct. I have never seen the film so did not know that.

Not so sure about the Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde. The music score was by Charles Strouse and I think the song was inspired by the film.

Will look into the other songs. As for Never on Sunday. I think in the English dubbed versions the song is sung in English which I think helped it win the oscar
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2003, 01:55:30 PM »

"Heartlight" was inspired by E.T. too. Mike I did say "or inspired by" in my post.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2003, 02:12:39 PM »

Sink the Bismark actually was recorded and released before the movie was released itself to help promote it. So this does not count. While "Liberty Vallence" had a similar occurance it was released after the film.

I wonder if The Ballad of the Alamo is separate song. The song that was in John Wayne's version of The Alamo was "The Green Leaves pf Summer" which was nominated for an Oscar.

The same goes for The Ballad Of One Eyed Jacks. The song is credited to someone other than film composer Hugo Friedhofer    

Mrs. Robinson doesn't count because it is in the film.

The original queery was Movie Themes (Instrumentals) that became popular that lyrics were added to them afterwards.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2003, 02:20:33 PM »

I have gone back and modified my post so it is clearer what I am looking for. Thank you Tom for all your deligent contributions. You made me know a little more about those songs even if they were not exactly what I was looking for. I love to learn!! It must be the teacher in you.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2003, 02:23:39 PM »

How remiss of me to ignore these in the Topic Of The Day: The Theme From "The Go Between" (I Still See You) and "Sea And Sky" (recorded by Dusty Springfield".

I thought that this was song from The Go-Betwen

TAKE A PAIR OF SPARKLING EYES"
Music by Arthur Seymour Sullivan
Lyrics by William Schwenck Gilbert
 ;D
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2003, 02:26:38 PM »

"North to Alaska" was sung over the titles, but it's still a favorite movie song.  DR Michael your question is very interesting....but it requires me to THINK today, and I am prepared to do that.

DRJENNIFER, I did go that early to beat the crowds....and it was easy because I didn't go to bed on Friday night.  I always go to Kroger's at 5 a.m. on Saturday so it wasn't much a leap to get to WalMart a bit earlier.  And no DRMBARNUM they weren't having any particular sales, just the usual ones.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2003, 02:29:55 PM »

DR I was indeed NOT suggesting that any of the mentioned songs were written from themes from the movies. That was not my point at all. Sorry if I have led you on a wild goose chase when in fact I provided the facts anyway. I was going off on my own tangent! We all have our own agendas and like to "show off" our expertise. The "Ballad Of The Alamo" was included on the initial soundtrack album of the film as an additional track. It had nothing to do with "The Green Leaves Of Summer". Many cinemas used such songs as "playouts" after the movie. "Sink The Bismarck" was used that way too. Drive-In movies very often used a "tie in" song as a playout after the movie had finished. often Pop versions of film themes were used in the same way in the fifties and sixties. It was a chance for the projectionist to be "creative". As there was often a six months lag in the release dates of film in OZ, there was plenty of opportunity to use popular versions of film themes.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2003, 02:32:08 PM »

Yes for the first one. Sea and Sky seemes to be from a film called A Time For Love. Which I can't seem to find anything about it.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up