Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES  (Read 41185 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES
« Reply #330 on: December 29, 2006, 10:06:56 PM »

JOURNEY BENEATH THE DESERT was a lot of fun although major characters would vanish from the plot and then later you would have someone say that they had been killed. That was sort of odd.

Now on to my Bollywood movie:

IZZAT (1968) starring Dharmendra and Tanuja.

I haven't a clue what the plot is about.

François

« Reply #331 on: December 29, 2006, 10:07:33 PM »

Please...the man has an MBA from Harvard!

der Brucer

Yes, and he's even President of the United States!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #332 on: December 29, 2006, 10:15:30 PM »

Finished the docu-drama, which was really well done and, as I said, riveting.  More about it later.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #333 on: December 29, 2006, 10:17:35 PM »

They certainly bulldozed that one through!  I believe one of the purposes of this immoral Iraq invasion was to accomplish what was just performed.  Saddam was not my dictator - I dislike the one we have - and I believe this execution should never have happened.

Word.

We have invited members of anti-death penalty groups to our Sacco and Vanzetti screenings. In Arizona, which is close to abolishing it (if they get a new governor!) we had great speakers with very depressing statistics about the number of wrongful convictions.

"Deadline", a documentary dealing with the death penalty, has compiled a state-by-state rundown of information on their website. See where your state stands:
http://deadlinethemovie.com/state/

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #334 on: December 29, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »

Poll: Most Favor Execution

A Harris Interactive study for broadcaster France 24 and the Le Monde newspaper found that large majorities in six countries supported the enforcement of Saddam’s death sentence and favor the withdrawal of troops in Iraq.

Apart from Italy (46 percent), majorities of adults in each of the countries support Saddam's execution, the Harris poll found:

United States: 82 percent.
Great Britain: 69 percent.
France: 58 percent.
Germany 53 percent.
Spain: 51 percent.
Italy: 46 percent.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #335 on: December 29, 2006, 10:28:13 PM »

Well...  I want to get at least one or two more boxes packed up before I head to bed... -I'll be taking some out to my parents' house in the morning - I'll be stashing them there next week before I head back up to NYC.  So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

François

« Reply #336 on: December 29, 2006, 10:30:58 PM »

Poll: Most Favor Executionder Brucer

What can I do if "my" country's sick too???

(Prividing those polls mean something too!)

Edisaurus

« Reply #337 on: December 29, 2006, 10:31:27 PM »

George Harrison was a big uke fan. Here is my favorite uke player, who got to know George before he died. George and his family became instant fans. I saw him on tour opening for Jamie Cullum. I told him about my grandmother---he said he'd love to see the picture I mentioned. Oh well...

Check him out; he's known as the Jimi Hendrix of the uke, a dynamic performer and a sweet guy as well. Ladies and gentlemen, I present Jake Shimabukuro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #338 on: December 29, 2006, 10:32:10 PM »

Finished the docu-drama, which was really well done and, as I said, riveting.  More about it later.

I would love to see that!

Edisaurus

« Reply #339 on: December 29, 2006, 10:40:55 PM »

DR Miss Karen, it's about time! Happy to have you here. Set a spell!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #340 on: December 29, 2006, 10:43:57 PM »

This is the one I remember:

der Brucer

Even better than Tiny Tim 8)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #341 on: December 29, 2006, 10:51:46 PM »

Welcome, DR MissKaren. Glad you joined us!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

François

« Reply #342 on: December 29, 2006, 10:52:38 PM »

Divers - Agadou Dou Dou Lyrics

{refrain:}
Agadou dou dou pouss' l'ananas et mouds
l'café {2x}
Tap' la pomm' tap' la
poir' pouss' l'ananas et mouds l'café
{2x}

L'an dernier à tahiti
Une jolie
vahiné
Avec son ukulélé
M'a vraiment ukulélé
Ell'vendait de forts beaux fruits
Avec son
ukulélé
Quand on les avait choisis
Y avait plus
qu'à les manger
{au refrain}

Accusé
d'avoir goûté
Aux pomm' de ma vahiné
Paraît-il sans permission
On me jeta en prison
Je
dus payer au papa
Comme une poir' mon ananas
Et
puis le dédommager
D'un ukulélé très laid
{au
refrain}

Si tu vas à tahiti
Prends garde au
ukuklélé
Dis-toi que ces fruits si beaux
Sont destinés
aux gogos !
{au refrain, 2x}

François

« Reply #343 on: December 29, 2006, 10:53:31 PM »

Oh... welcome Miss  Karen!

Did you bring your ukulele along?!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #344 on: December 29, 2006, 10:53:57 PM »

On our trip to Las Vegas, we were speeding along until five miles before Hoover Dam. Then we came to a dead stop. It took us almost three hours to go those five miles. I don't know if you can see it, but the line goes over the mountain.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Edisaurus

« Reply #345 on: December 29, 2006, 10:55:37 PM »

And I can't believe that other people in the place you're leaving would allow that sort of construction to happen!  That's just wrong!

It's hard to fight it because when the city puts an overlay on historic property it makes the ground more valuable than the structures sitting on it. My town calls itself "Historic Marietta" yet has repeatedly refused to enact a state certified preservation ordinance. The councilman (in office since he was in his early 20's and pretty much runs the city) who is so anti-preservation owns most of the buidlings downtown, including a gorgeous art deco theatre that he has let rot and has a lifetime demolition permit. A group has been trying to save the theatre but they can't raise the money because the councilman is willing to lease the theatre but not sell it to the group. So any money put into the building will just be making capital improvments to the despised councilman's property.

Meanwhile, It's hard to fight the loft when our neighbor, the 5th generation to live in this antebellum Greek revival, used as a hospital during the war, sold it to a developer so sleazy that even his own mother is suing him for stealing her inheritance money. (He also stole acres of property from my brother through a loophole in a real estate contract.) If it were any other developer, I might have considered sticking with this house. He has basically strip-mined this plantation house by surrounding it with asphalt and is now selling it off after all his talk about preserving it. OK. Rant done.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #346 on: December 29, 2006, 10:58:03 PM »

DamTraffic.JPG

Shouldn't that be DarnTraffic? (The children, you know)

der Brucer

Edisaurus

« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2006, 10:59:37 PM »

The Strand Theatre, before Goldstein, the councilman:

Edisaurus

« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2006, 11:01:10 PM »

And after Goldstein. I think they'd stand a much better chance of raising money if Goldstein would give up his demolition permit!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2006, 11:01:28 PM »

The councilman (in office since he was in his early 20's and pretty much runs the city)...

How does he buy off the voters?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #350 on: December 29, 2006, 11:06:27 PM »

My town calls itself "Historic Marietta"

Seems it survied Sherman and the Carpetbaggers only to  fall victim to good ole homeboy greed.

der Brucer

Edisaurus

« Reply #351 on: December 29, 2006, 11:08:26 PM »

Seems it survied Sherman and the Carpetbaggers only to  fall victim to good ole homeboy greed.

We like to blame Sherman but most historic homes in Atlanta have been destroyed due to greed and/or neglect.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #352 on: December 29, 2006, 11:14:30 PM »

I picked up one of those cheap Naxos CDs - Mr. Howard Hanson - what a composer he was.  It's shocking Hollywood never tapped him because his music SOUNDS like great filmmusic - better than most.  Ridley Scott, of course, angered fans of Mr. Jerry Goldsmith by replacing some Goldsmith with Hanson for the end credits of Alien.  The last ten minutes or so of ET was clearly temp-tracked with the final movement of Mr. Hanson's Romantic Symphony - same rhythms, same harmonic structure, same emotion.

The Naxos disc is marvelous and can be had for about six bucks.  It has his Organ Concerto - I wonder if MusicGuy has heard this wonderful, brilliant piece?  It also has the Nymphs and Satyr Ballet Suite and a bunch of other pieces for solo instrument and string orchestra.  I'd say it's one of the best releases of the year.

We issued the Organ Concerto and the Nymphs and Satyr Ballet Suite on Bay Cities (our classical line was predominantly American composers), but these performances are really good, and the Bay Cities discs are long out of print.  It was our devotion to American classical music that got us our first devoted fans - there was basically only one other label doing it, and they were REALLY tiny.  After we made our splash, I must say other major labels really jumped on the bandwagon.  It was most amusing to watch.  Sort of like what happened when we started up at Varese - Broadway music (and especially B'way vocalists) were dead on CD.  Maybe ten releases a year from ALL the labels put together.  I came out swinging, and in the first year and a half did twenty-seven CDs.  Within six months, all the majors were back into it, gobbling up stuff we were getting, and also getting their feet wet with vocalists.  It was amusing to watch.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #353 on: December 29, 2006, 11:15:02 PM »

Sherman And The Carpetbaggers - wasn't that a UPA cartoon?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #354 on: December 29, 2006, 11:15:38 PM »

We've got a quorum on the forum.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2006, 11:16:45 PM »

It sure doesn't seem like Friday, does it?  She of the Evil Eye is coming tomorrow - can't believe it - have to get up early!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2006, 11:17:03 PM »

Anyone for four hundred postings?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2006, 11:17:23 PM »

What am I, doing a monologue?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2006, 11:18:01 PM »

Maybe with a little elbow-grease Edisaurus could have her new place looking like this:

der Brucer

Edisaurus

« Reply #359 on: December 29, 2006, 11:20:03 PM »

How does he buy off the voters?

There are very few people who vote in his ward. They are mostly immigrants who rent. (He is a slumlord as well...) Most of the buildings are businesses. The established voters are mostly old people. Strangley enough, we've seen city crews coming to edge their lawns, etc. He doesn't pay them off, but he does "take care of them".

No one bothers to run against him because nobody in his ward cares. We found a candidate willing to run against him but when we were campaigning for him, some of our door-to-door people were chased down and harassed by the councilman. Everyone is afraid to get on his bad side because he is so powerful and if they ever want anything like a variance, or permission to do something on their property, they don't want him against them because he badgers the other council members to vote his way.

His support of the loft and pushing to get this developer money is payback for the developer's votes for him as a member of the Downtown Marietta Development Authority, which controls the square. The developer was put on this board when the councilman tried to build a 12 story tower on the square, which consists of 2 story buildings. He was put in place by the councilman when his sister resigned because she wasn't allowed to vote on her brother's tower. Because of the relationship between the developer and the councilman, he didn't get to vote on the tower after all. (This was the basis for our ethics charges.)

I can't wait to get away from small town politics. I don't pretend that Atlanta will be any better, but I am certain we will be less consumed by it!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up