Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CHICKEN SALAD  (Read 17488 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:CHICKEN SALAD
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2006, 01:29:26 PM »

Once again, MGM managed to slip in a couple of water ballets for Esther, two numbers for Jimmy Durante, the three aforementioned Charisse numbers, and a couple of Xavier Cugat numbers, too. A typical Joe Pasternack production.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2006, 01:31:39 PM »

Page Four Mowgli Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2006, 01:32:36 PM »

Next I put in GYPSY (the Rosalind Russell version). Due to several phone calls and other interruptions, I only got to the end of "Everything's Coming Up Roses." I'll finish it when I go back down.

François de Paris

« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2006, 01:45:34 PM »

Next I put in GYPSY (the Rosalind Russell version). Due to several phone calls and other interruptions, I only got to the end of "Everything's Coming Up Roses." I'll finish it when I go back down.

S P O I L E R !

NOT everything comes up roses in the end! ;D ;D

Ben

« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »

François,

Hooray for you, you French radical. Downloading software. I'm proud of you ;)

Do you listen to anything besides Friday Night is Music Night? I listened to Beverley last week also.

Her show on Radio Wales has moved to Saturday night (Welsh time). It's now on at 10pm (5pm New York time). It's harder to listen live but I've been able to do it so far. It used to be on at 2pm Wednesday afternoon (NY time) so I could listen at work. I haven't been on with a review since August 10th. Oh, well. It gives me time to get some new reviews over the pond, although she still has a few unaired reviews that could be played like Jersey Boys and The Color Purple and Tarzan. They won't play Sweeney or Threepenny or Light in the Piazza since those shows have closed. I'll be sending reviews of The Fantasticks, Mary Poppins and Grey Gardens soon so she'll have a batch to choose from.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2006, 02:07:15 PM »

Or Bobby from the MM Club!

Yes, he's the same person, but the kid doesn't remind me of Bobby from Mickey Mouse Club...he wasn't all prancy and showy back then.

It was his later gig as Cissy's partner and the competition the two had for biggest moves and widest arm swings and highest leg kicks that the kid brought to mind.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:10:03 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2006, 02:07:43 PM »

I shall shortly be on my way to LACC.  I forgot I was invited to a reading of the first act of a new musical - I really don't want to go, but I may have to.  Unless, of course, rehearsal should go to seven - then I can't.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2006, 02:08:35 PM »

A HOME AWAY FROM HOME
Associated Pressder Brucer

If anyone goes to Pompeii, take the opportunity to use a certified guide.

The guides have keys to secret rooms where statuary and other paintings not generally meant for public exhibition are kept.

It's eye-opening, mind-boggling and obscene as all get-out.

François de Paris

« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2006, 02:28:10 PM »

François,

Hooray for you, you French radical. Downloading software. I'm proud of you ;)

Do you listen to anything besides Friday Night is Music Night? I listened to Beverley last week also.

Her show on Radio Wales has moved to Saturday night (Welsh time). It's now on at 10pm (5pm New York time). It's harder to listen live but I've been able to do it so far. It used to be on at 2pm Wednesday afternoon (NY time) so I could listen at work. I haven't been on with a review since August 10th. Oh, well. It gives me time to get some new reviews over the pond, although she still has a few unaired reviews that could be played like Jersey Boys and The Color Purple and Tarzan. They won't play Sweeney or Threepenny or Light in the Piazza since those shows have closed. I'll be sending reviews of The Fantasticks, Mary Poppins and Grey Gardens soon so she'll have a batch to choose from.

Me, Radical?! :D

No, my downloading is too recent (Hope they don't find out!! ;)) but I also like Stage and Screen (great interviews!) Miss Paige's radio show, even though her voice tires me a little... I wonder if Michael Ball still has his show too!

I'm going to listen to Beverley and FridayNight tonight! That BBC Concert Orchestra is one of the best; I'd like to attend a live recording of it, because a dead recording would be gashtly... or unseemly! :D

Ben; an alternative for you is to record the shows. As you know, they stay online for one week!

I'm eager to know what you think of Mary Poppins on Broadway! That blond BK singer is in the cast!( Mrs Bank) What a wonderful voice she has!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:29:56 PM by François »

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2006, 02:29:44 PM »

Guess I'll get started on mopping the kitchen floor. I dread it. Then back to GYPSY and perhaps some network TV (e.g. VANISHED and/or 1 VS. 100).

WBBL.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2006, 02:29:52 PM »

Off to Ikea!

Until later! :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2006, 02:29:55 PM »

If anyone goes to Pompeii, take the opportunity to use a certified guide.

The guides have keys to secret rooms where statuary and other paintings not generally meant for public exhibition are kept.

It's eye-opening, mind-boggling and obscene as all get-out.

And when I visited, they had a "trinket" store where you could buy roach clips shapped like the giant phallus statue!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

François de Paris

« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2006, 02:31:01 PM »

Guess I'll get started on mopping the kitchen floor. I dread it. Then back to GYPSY and perhaps some network TV (e.g. VANISHED and/or 1 VS. 100).

WBBL.

Wherever we go
We mop the floor
Together! :D

François de Paris

« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2006, 02:31:49 PM »

Off to Ikea!

Until later! :)

... the wonderful wizard of Ikea?! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2006, 02:35:31 PM »

And when I visited, they had a "trinket" store where you could buy roach clips shapped like the giant phallus statue!

der Brucer

:o :o :o :o :o :D

Michael

« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2006, 03:02:25 PM »

Ah, Orlando! I've spent 6 years of my life there! (Kissimmee, precisely!) Those were the days!

When I stop of at the French pavillion I will give them a big BONJOUR from you.
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2006, 03:03:02 PM »

Well, I've just finished my afternoon chores. (Is that line copy-protected?)

I wanted to gather together Woody's files of the essays he had posted on Sondheim.com and put them on a flash drive for safety.

First I had to pull his "Tales of Bonnie and Clyde" off of his computer (This is a series of 15 short chapters - 17 pages- that detail how we came to add two new dogs to our house; it ends with Clyde's renaming to Buster.) There is also the start of "Driving Towards Orion" - his Journal of our cross country drive from CA to DE (only the first two days are finished, with detailed notes for the rest for the trip - notes containing the really vital stuff - like every CD we played, and every radio show listened to.) Next I went to find copies of his "Track By Track Columns" he had written - but couldn't find any copies. I had to revisit the Sondheim site and pull off all the files -  64 pages of detailed track-by track discussions/comparisons of recordings for: Do I Hear A Waltz, West Side Story, Gypsy - Original Casts, Gypsy -Divas In Concert, Saturday Night, and  A Funny Thing Happened... I also pulled off his 13 page essay on "Company" - An Opinionated and Irreverent Revue of the Differences Between the Original 1970 and Revised 1996 Scripts of Stephen Sondheim and George Furth's Musical Comedy.

Lordy, he writes almost as much as I criticize!

We now have 640K Bytes on Flash-Drive for posterity (together with the data bases of all the CDs and DVDs).

der Brucer

Hmmm...he was scheduled to be let off at 4:15 - looks like he got held-over again - better chill the Manhattan glass.

François de Paris

« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2006, 03:21:23 PM »

Some of you might enjoy reading this!

"Sister Act" musical signals the start of a major Menken resurgence

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/10/24/6405.aspx

François de Paris

« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »

When I stop of at the French pavillion I will give them a big BONJOUR from you.

Oh, they have forgotten about me, if they're still there!

Actually, I mostly worked for one of the restaurants there (Bistro de Paris; I "opened" it) then as a Guest Relations Host and then as a Backstage Studio Tour Guide at Disney/MGM....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:24:25 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2006, 03:52:22 PM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2006, 03:56:49 PM »

And now, blimey, a word about Bert!

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=539388

When BBC Radio 3 broadcast my restoration of JUBILEE in Dec. 1999, Gavin played the Prince.   I found him, unlike most of the cast, not particularly friendly.  When JUBILEE was premiered 20 years ago at Town Hall, Rebecca Luker played the Princess.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:58:04 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2006, 04:13:10 PM »

When BBC Radio 3 broadcast my restoration of JUBILEE in Dec. 1999, Gavin played the Prince.   I found him, unlike most of the cast, not particularly friendly.  When JUBILEE was premiered 20 years ago at Town Hall, Rebecca Luker played the Princess.

Small world, isn't it?!

François de Paris

« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2006, 04:19:38 PM »

I know some people are going to make faces!

Here's tonight's programme of the radio show:

Friday Night Is Music Night - 27 October 2006

Live From The Mermaid

Conductor Richard Balcombe
Special Guest Josh Groban
Presenter Paul Gambaccini

Friday Night Is Music Night
Williams

Main Theme from Star Wars
John Williams

On Golden Pond
Dave Grusin arr. Langford
Helen Crayford piano

Westminster Waltz
Robert Farnon  

Overture: The Gondoliers
Sullivan

Dance of the Comedians (The Bartered Bride)
Smetana

Dance of the Hours
Ponchielli

Part Two

You Are Loved
Josh Groban

February Song (Let You Down)
Josh Groban

Un Dia Llegara (The O Song)
Josh Groban

Smile
Josh Groban

So She Dances
Josh Groban

Not While I'm Around (Sweeney Todd)
Sondheim
Josh Groban

Machine  
Josh Groban

Friday Night Is Music Night
Williams
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 04:20:55 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2006, 04:22:47 PM »

Petula Clark Live! - Only UK Performance
Petula Clark Live in concert with the BBC Concert Orchestra plus special guests Michael Ball and Tony Hatch, Theatre Royal, Sunday 26 November. This will be her only UK performance in 2006! Tickets on sale now!

François de Paris

« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2006, 04:40:50 PM »

Congratulations to Aimie Atkinson, who has won BBC Radio 2 Voice of Musical Theatre competition.

Name: Aimie Atkinson  http://aimiea.com/

Lives: Stevenage in Hertforshire

She is a qualified Early Stages teacher.

Aimie competed alongside thousands of non-professional singers and performers from across the UK during a UK wide series of auditions by BBC New Talent earlier this summer.

She was one of fifteen people to then be selected to have the unique opportunity to work alongside top industry professionals in a three-day boot camp, which ran from Wednesday 11 – Friday 13 October.

From this, she won a place in the preliminary round of the Voice of Musical Theatre competition, then progressed through the semi finals to the final. Aimie was named the BBC Radio 2 Voice of Musical Theatre on Sunday 22nd October.

"I really think we witnessed the birth of a star. I thought she was extraordinary."
Michael Ball, Voice of Musical Theatre judge

"Aimie is an incredible new talent. She possesses that elusive thing we call star quality. When she came to the BBC New Talent musical theatre bootcamp in Cardiff she got the chance to work with top performance and vocal coaches and she soaked up any notes given to her and incorporated them with ease into her next performance. She completely wowed the audience and the judges in the final to take the professional title - BBC Radio 2 Voice of Musical Theatre 2006. All of us who helped find Aimie and support her are thrilled and know that one day we will be seeing her name in lights in the West End."
Angela Wallis - Executive Producer of BBC New Talent

The BBC Radio 2 Voice of Musical Theatre is an event for professional performers that celebrates the best of musical theatre and is broadcast nationwide.

For the first time, non-professional singers and performers were offered the chance to be a part of it and to showcase their talents to top musical theatre professionals, entitled Be A Musical Theatre Performer.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 04:51:01 PM by François »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2006, 05:00:45 PM »

Some of you might enjoy reading this!

"Sister Act" musical signals the start of a major Menken resurgence

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/10/24/6405.aspx

And we now have DR Edisaurus as our advance-critic in Atlanta!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2006, 05:03:01 PM »

Small world, isn't it?!
No, MouseGuy, It's a Small World, After All!

der Brucer

François de Paris

« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2006, 05:11:20 PM »

No, MouseGuy, It's a Small World, After All!

der Brucer

Yes, true, but I was more in a Merman mood than in a Mermaid one!

François de Paris

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2006, 05:13:02 PM »

I'm listening to Aimie Atkinson singing "Don't Rain On My Parade!"

That girl is a POWER HOUSE! Wow! What a booming voice! 19!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up