Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXY BUILDUP  (Read 28925 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WAXY BUILDUP
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2007, 05:03:42 PM »

I had quite a good time at the show.  I knew quite a few people there, but the best thing was finally, at long last, meeting Mr. Bert I. Gordon in person.  As most of you know, I'm responsible for having gotten him to finally do the show, and when I arrived at eleven he had quite a few people at his table and he seemed to be having a good time.  I introduced myself and we had a nice chat.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2007, 05:08:39 PM »

Back from a fun Ray Courts show.  First off, not one Brain order was awaiting me.  SOMEONE order this thing, will ya?

Done!  Skipped Ms. Ryan for now... but only for now!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »

I wandered the room from pillar to post, and saw the likes of Pee Wee Herman (Paul Reubens - he had a big line all day long), my pal Lynne Stewart (who played Miss Yvonne on Pee Wee's Playhouse - fellow LACC alum), Julie Newmar, Gogi Grant, Nastasia Kinski (huge line all day - she doesn't really even look like she used to), Tonya Harding (sitting directly behind Mr. Gordon), David Ankrum (Totally Hidden Video alum, but more importantly, the fellow who played Adam in the second Tabitha pilot and then series - so both Adams were in the room today), Pat Carroll (arrived very late - I'll say hey tomorrow), Bill (Jose Jimenez) Dana, Francine York, Sally Struthers, Adam West and Burt Ward, Jane Russell, Rick Lenz, John Kerr, Neile McQueen Toffell, June Kenny, and many others I'm not remembering.  Oh, yes, Mariette Hartley, Edd "Kookie" Byrnes, Joe Turkel.  The ubiquitous Chuck McCann was wandering the room saying hey to his pals, as was Gary Owens.    

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »

This afternoon, Mae-Ling and Wae-Ling Goldstein "helped"me plant some flowers. They are very cute and very loud.

We watched the hummingbirds and we noticed that the caterpillar made himself into a chrysalis today.

It takes a village and all that.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2007, 05:12:34 PM »

I saw many of my dealer friends and did a little trading with them, which is always fun.  At six-thirty, Mr. B.I.G., his eighteen year old daughter Christina, and I will be supping at Genghis Cohen.  At dinner I will broach the idea of a little project I have that I'm hoping will interest him.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2007, 05:12:51 PM »

Will we never get to page eight?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2007, 05:13:18 PM »

Did MBarnum ever get an answer about why the review button isn't on the Brain page?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2007, 05:13:35 PM »

I just heard that Ray Evans died. I'm very sad.

I'm glad we got to interview him a few months ago. He was amazingly sharp and I was looking forward to being able to talk to him more, but it's not to be.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2007, 05:13:49 PM »

BK, please say hello to Mr. Gordon's daughter for me.

Ginny

« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »

My "office" is temporarily on my dining room table....

That's where DH Richard's "study" is in our house!

Congratulations on your new computer.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »

Hit songwriter Ray Evans dies at 92

Ray Evans, whose long collaboration with songwriting partner Jay Livingston produced a string of hits that included the Oscar-winning "Buttons and Bows," "Mona Lisa" and "Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)," has died. He was 92.

Evans, who teamed up with Livingston in the late 1930s, died of an apparent heart attack at UCLA Medical Center on Thursday evening, Frederick Nicholas, Evans' lawyer and the trustee of his estate, said today.

Considered among Hollywood's greatest songwriters, Livingston and Evans wrote songs for dozens of movies, most of them at Paramount, where they were under contract from 1945 to 1955.

With Livingston providing the melodies and Evans writing the lyrics, the team wrote 26 songs that reportedly sold more than 1 million copies each.

"Ray Evans, along with his late partner Jay Livingston, gave us some of the most enduring songs in the great American songbook," lyricist Alan Bergman told The Times today. "We will miss him but know that his songs will live on."

In addition to their three Oscar-winning songs, Livingston and Evans earned four other Oscar nominations — for "The Cat and the Canary" from "Why Girls Leave Home" (1945); "Tammy," sung by Debbie Reynolds in "Tammy and the Bachelor" (1957); "Almost in Your Arms" from "Houseboat" (1958), and "Dear Heart" from the movie of the same name (1964).

"Dear Heart," with lyrics credited to Livingston and Evans and music by Henry Mancini, became a big hit for Andy Williams.

"I just loved the record I made of 'Dear Heart,'." Williams told The Times today. "Livingston and Evans were really part of the generation of songwriters that I loved, and I sang a lot of their songs over the years. I wasn't as close to them like I was to Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini, but I certainly recognized their talent and how good they were at their craft of putting out great songs."

Among Livingston and Evans' songs, which reportedly have sold a total of nearly 500 million copies, is the Christmas standard "Silver Bells." Introduced in the 1951 Bob Hope-Marilyn Maxwell comedy "The Lemon Drop Kid," "Silver Bells" is said to have been recorded by nearly 150 artists and has sold more than 160 million copies.

The songwriting duo also wrote the memorable themes for the TV series "Bonanza" and "Mr. Ed."

"Ray had a great ear for language, for the vernacular, which is something he had in common with many of the great lyricists," singer-pianist Michael Feinstein, who in 2002 released an album devoted to the Evans and Livingston songbook, told The Times a few years ago.

"He was able to distill a mood or a feeling into a song without it sounding clichéd," Feinstein said. "He did not consider himself a sophisticated writer, but he knew how to express the thoughts, feelings and emotions of the common man in an eloquent way."

The son of a secondhand paper, string and burlap dealer, Evans was born in Salamanca, N.Y., on Feb. 4, 1915.

After graduating from high school, where he played clarinet in the school band and served as valedictorian, Evans earned a degree in economics from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

While at the university, he met Livingston, a journalism major from Pennsylvania who had studied piano as a child. Evans joined Livingston's band, which played college dances and parties, and during school vacations they played together on cruise ship bands.

After graduating in 1937, Evans and Livingston continued to work on cruise ships before moving to New York City, where they began their songwriting collaboration.

They had their first success in 1941 when their song "G'Bye Now" was incorporated into Olsen and Johnson's zany Broadway revue "Hellzapoppin'." and landed on "Your Hit Parade."

In 1944, the two songwriters came out to Hollywood, where they had a hit with Betty Hutton's recording of "Stuff Like That There."

They earned their first Oscar nomination with "The Cat and the Canary." Under contract to Paramount, the duo wrote one of the biggest hits of 1946: the title song for the Olivia de Havilland movie "To Each His Own," the basic framework of which began with Evans' phrase "two lips must insist on two more to be kissed."

For one week in 1946, five versions of "To Each His Own" were listed on Billboard's Top 10 list, with recordings by Eddy Howard (No. 1), Tony Martin, Freddy Martin, the Modernaires and the Ink Spots.

Livingston and Evans picked up their first Oscar for the bouncy "Buttons and Bows," which was introduced by Bob Hope in the 1948 comedy western "The Paleface" and was recorded by Dinah Shore, among others.

While at Paramount, the songwriting duo even made a cameo appearance playing themselves in Billy Wilder's 1950 classic "Sunset Boulevard."

Although they were born only six weeks apart, Livingston and Evans were "not the least bit alike," Evans told The Times in 1985.

"I'm nuts about sports, play baseball and tennis every weekend. Jay couldn't care less. He's restrained and quiet. I'm more outward going. Jay is a marvelous musician. I have a tin ear."

But, he said, "Our tastes are similar, and we both like good music and song."

The Oscar-winning "Mona Lisa," which they wrote for "Captain Carey, U.S.A.," a 1950 drama starring Alan Ladd, remained Evans' favorite song.

The song originally was called "Prima Donna," but they changed the title at the suggestion of Evans' wife, Wyn, who thought "Mona Lisa" sounded much nicer.

In the movie, the song is sung by a blind Italian street singer to send a signal to Italian partisans during World War II and is heard only in fragments.

But Evans and Livingston felt that if they could play the song for Nat King Cole, they might be able to convince him to record it.

"So Paramount Studio, who owned the song, pulled some strings and [Cole] allowed us to come to his home and play it for him, in 1950," Evans recalled in a 1993 interview with the Buffalo News. "He recorded it, and in 1951 Capitol Records decided not to release it. They said it wouldn't ever be a hit."

Capitol eventually used the song, but only as the flip side of a Cole single the record company felt would become a hit, "The Greatest Inventor of Them All."

"Eventually, we had the last laugh," said Evans. "Mona Lisa" became an enormous hit. "It was so different and so unusual," Evans said. "It's hardly ever dropped in popularity and it's given me a lot of credit and ego."

Livingston and Evans also made television history when they wrote the songs for the first 90-minute color television "spectacular," "Satins and Spurs," starring Betty Hutton, on NBC in 1954.

After leaving Paramount to work as freelancers in 1955, Livingston and Evans won their third Oscar for "Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)," which was sung by Doris Day in Alfred Hitchcock's 1956 thriller "The Man Who Knew Too Much."

The duo also wrote the music and lyrics for two Broadway musicals, "Oh Captain!" in 1958 (a Tony nominee for best musical) and "Let It Ride" in 1961. And in 1979, two of their songs were included in the hit Broadway revue "Sugar Babies."

In later years, the songwriting team provided special material for Bob Hope and charity shows.

In 1993, Evans returned to Salamanca, N.Y., which renamed a Main Street theater in his honor. Then 78, Evans told the Buffalo News that he no longer wrote songs. Popular tastes had changed drastically since his and Livingston's heyday, he acknowledged. "There's no way we are going to be heard," he said.

But there was no denying the staying power of Livingston and Evans songs. The year before he and Livingston and their publisher each made $400,000 off the royalties from past hits.

But while they no longer had the "economic pressure" to continue writing, he said, "you don't live on bread alone. There's the excitement and fun that you miss."

After Livingston died in 2001 at age 86, Evans wrote a few songs with other collaborators. But, according to Feinstein, "He said it was a strange experience after being teamed with Jay for over 60 years."

Evans, whose wife died in 2003, is survived by his sister, Doris Feinberg.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2007, 05:19:04 PM »

RIP Ray...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2007, 05:27:13 PM »

I'm late!!  Off to usher!  Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »

Thank you for the Bio DR Edisauras.

Thank you for those wonderful songs Mr Evans.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »

I have always loved Livingston and Evans.  Around the time I recorded Prime Time Musicals, which had a couple of really lesser-known Livingston and Evans tunes from two obscure musicals written for TV, I got a call from Ray thanking me for recording the songs and asking if I was interested in doing a Livingston and Evans album, which, of course, I was.  I couldn't persuade the powers that be that such a thing would sell and soon thereafter I left Varese and started the other label.  And then Michael Feinstein took the idea and did an album, which, sadly, isn't very good and is just piano accompaniment.  I wanted to do it the Kimmel way, with a full orchestra and wonderful B'way singers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2007, 05:44:54 PM »

I suppose I shall now shower.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »

Okay, everyone, favorite Livingston and Evans songs - top o' my list - Whatever Will Be, Will Be.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #197 on: February 16, 2007, 05:48:19 PM »

Um, I don't know that I know any Livingston and Evans songs. I probably do, but I can't name any.

Tomovoz

« Reply #198 on: February 16, 2007, 05:59:53 PM »

Golden Earrings
To Each His Own
Mr Lucky
Mona Lisa
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »

Good Evening!

So... I had dinner at Pietrasanta earlier tonight with former DR Jason.  When I asked what the specials were... "We have a Heart-Shaped Duck Ravioli... A Heart-Shaped Pumpkin Ravioli.... "   -Heart-Shaped?  Guess they didn't sell that much on Valentine's Day.

In any case, what we did end up ordering - Chicken Parmesan and Gnocchi con Funghi - was very good.  And the bread was particularly tasty tonight, surprisingly so.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2007, 06:09:09 PM »

Silver Bells

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2007, 06:12:45 PM »

Gee....Livingston & Evans...so many....

Buttons & Bows....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2007, 06:12:59 PM »

And didn't they do the RED GARTERS score?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2007, 06:13:31 PM »

Gotta brain in my mailbox.
Gonna play at eleven.

Gotta brain in my mailbox
And I'm on my way to heaven.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2007, 06:14:01 PM »

MR BK - you wrote June Kenney - did you mean June Wilkinson, or did the elusive Ms Kenney finally show her face after all these years?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2007, 06:14:21 PM »

DR RLP - I am very happy for your entry into the HD AGE....I will follow eventually.

FJL

« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2007, 06:37:55 PM »

Actor Daniel McDonald, who starred in STEEL PIER, has died at 46.  (He lived in our building.)

FJL

« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2007, 06:39:41 PM »

Obit for Daniel McDonald on Broadway.com:

http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=544049

MBarnum

« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2007, 06:41:56 PM »

MR BK - you wrote June Kenney - did you mean June Wilkinson, or did the elusive Ms Kenney finally show her face after all these years?

I think he meant Laura June Kenny...a one time Little Rascal who was scheduled for the show. Not to be confused with June Kenney, star of Attack of the Puppet People.

At least I hope that is who it was. Otherwise I will be in Burbank on the morning plane.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2007, 06:42:31 PM »

Will we never get to page eight?

The Magic-8 Ball says:

"Most assuredly!"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up