Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PEOPLE ARE FUNNY  (Read 17173 times)

Laura

Re: PEOPLE ARE FUNNY
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 08:07:19 AM »

TOD: People texting. Everywhere. While driving, while sitting in restaurants, during church ...
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 08:08:05 AM »

I buy the Sunday paper to get the weekly television listings - since TV Guide is now useless and has turned into a People Magazine clone.

That's one of the things I'd miss if we didn't get a paper.  Also, the coupons and the crossword puzzles, which I save in a folder.  I'm so far behind I will never need to buy a puzzle book!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »

TOD:

Things that annoy me most about people today.

Hmmmm.   For one, people unleash the most horrific torrent of profanity in public in regular conversation.  Lots of F-bombs, and s***s, and so on.  I don't want to hear it, and I sure don't want anyone I'm with to hear it.

Bicyclists!  I kid you not!   Bicyclist's "rights" have become a major consideration in the Bay area, and there is a profusion of bicycle only lanes and shared lanes for bicyclists.  Trouble is, bicyclists, by and large, don't have any respect for the rules of the road or for the dangers they throw into the paths of vehicular traffic.  It's a rare bicyclist who will stop for a traffic light or a "Stop" sign.  This morning, pedestrians were in the crosswalk and I slowed to a stop.  A bicyclist -- in her own lane -- came up beside me and then swerved in front of me and swooped around the back side of the pedestrians.   When it was clear, I drove up beside her and gave her a piece of my mind.  She gave me the finger.

THE most annoying thing, to me that is, is the cell phone user (while using).  Total disregard for his or her surroundings.  I was once speaking with a co-worker in an elevator when a woman got on.  She was on her cell phone.  She stopped talking and looked at me with disdain and said, "Can't you see I'm on the phone?"  To which I replied, "Can't you see you're in a public elevator and that there are people on board with the same rights to talk as you?"   She placed her free hand on the other ear and continued talking on her cell phone.  They're in the aisles of stores and supermarkets...chattering away like those ladies in New York City who go out in the late summer with fried eggs on their heads.  And despite the state law -- and despite the enormous fine they'd pay if stopped -- folks still use hand-held cell phones in their automobiles while on the road.  And NO...they CANNOT drive perfectly well when they're using the cell phone.   And then there are the cell phones people should be turning off when they're in the theater or in a restaurant or in a lecture or at a concert/symphony/ballet.  And the phones go off...and they sit there pretending no one can hear the phone that they have decided to ignore while it rings loudly and intrusively.  Or, they answer it right away and start jabbering as if they were in an isolation booth.  These people need to be tarred and feathered.

I'm sure these people are perfectly wonderful individuals if you know them and socialize with them.  But out in public among stragners, they're quite wretched.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:21:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 08:25:33 AM »

So, how to they know how many articles you read?

Cookies.

Laura

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »

So, how to they know how many articles you read?

Cookies.

Exactly. Delete them.

Laura

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 08:58:23 AM »

I agree with Ron about bicyclists. And I will add jaywalkers. Jaywalkers out here are really bad.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »

Hmmm.  I just came across this article...This May Be the Real Cast List for the Into the Woods Film.

My first question was...can Nina Arianda sing?

I believe that was the cast for a reading of the script, but that Meryl is still a go for the witch.

I'm excited for Meryl as the witch.  I feel she's one of our more versatile screen actress's that would do well in musicals.  I really liked her singing in Mamma Mia, she's also one of those actress's that can do no wrong.  She's my pick for Norma in the movie version of ALW's Sunset Blvd if that ever gets made.  I have hopes....   Oh, and Paul Bogaev was the MD for the Broadway production of Sunset Blvd and many Disney movies, so maybe.... 

Matthew

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »

Oh, and I'm awake.

Matthew

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »

And we have a visitor this week.  It's going to be a long week, just sayin'...

Matthew

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »

TOD - people seem to just walk in the middle of the street without looking both ways anymore.  They also don't seem to be aware of their surroundings, and i don't mean because they are looking at their phones, but just in general.  People do have the right of way, in CROSSWALKS, at least that's my knowledge of the law.  My favorite is when you are trying to back out of a parking space, and people walk right toward your car as you do so, so if you are not watching, you hit them.  I don't understand where that sort of idea comes from.  Might as well stem from everyone's "sense of entitlement" - if they want to be walking toward a moving vehicle, they can, I guess. 

I could go on.....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 09:29:58 AM »

Agreed, Matthew.

It simply amazes me that some people will walk right up to the rear of a car that is backing out...no sense of anything other than "I dare you to hit me"...or walking down the middle of the driving path in a parking garage.  Yes, that's right.  Right down the middle with no regard for the cars trying to move on.  People think of such places as sidewalks.  No such thought enters their minds of -- oh -- walking along the "SIDE" of that driving path so that cars can go by.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »

And while I'm at it:

Jaywalkers who -- for whatever reason -- won't go directly "across" the road but decide to walk at a slant, keeping them in the road for a longer period of time.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »

And then there are the supermarket aisles that are designed for two-way cart traffic.  Now and then, a special display will be set up that takes up one cart-width section of the aisle.   For whatever reason, that's a magnet for the "I-don't-know-what-I'm-looking-for-so-I'm-going-to-stop-right-here" shopper.  A completely open aisle except that spot and there are always folks who will stop right there and block the entire aisle.   And my-oh-my-! but don't they resent your "excuse me" as you attempt to get by them.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »

TOD:  I agree with most people about cell phone use and would it extend it to any electronic connectedness.  People just can't seem to disconnect for any minimal amount of time.  Just because the phone rings, you don't have to answer it.  If you're having a conversation with someone, you don't need to be scrolling down your emails every thirty seconds.  If you're going to a play or movie, turn off your damn cell phone i-pad, whatever, before you ever enter the theatre.  People are so afraid that they are going to miss something, that they are usually missing the full experience of whatever they are doing at the moment.  Multi-tasking is no way to go through life and it's just attention-deficit rudeness.  Try and give something or someone your undivided attention and connect to the real moments of life rather than the second-hand experiences of a device.

The other thing that pisses me off is what I call the Arrogance of Ignorance.  People who know nothing and are proud of it.  Their assessment of politics is reduced to some sound-bite they hear that merely re-inforces the unresearched, unthought-out opinion they already hold, their review of a movie is reduced to the "cool shot" or what they heard some friend say about it.  Whatever the subject, they cannot articulate their thoughts in a logical, detailed manner and must resort to cliches and dogma or, worse, anger directed at a person who challenges their mentally-bereft beliefs or lack of knowledge.

The rise of ignorance in our society in general appalls me.  I value knowledge, intellect, and intelligence above all.  The fact that we are now re-fighting something like the battle of evolution which I thought was over with the Scopes Trial back in 1925...almost 100 years ago...is frightening.  Does this kind of thing represent the progression of human knowledge in the last 100 years...or does it represent the regression of human knowledge? The refusal to accept proven and acknowledged facts....be they science, social, or political...pretty much infuriates me. And to dismiss it with the canard that "Everybody is entitled to their opinion" infuriates me even more.  As my pal Harlan Ellison says, "You are not entitled to your opinion.  You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion."

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »

You all are answering the TOD very well for me, and far better than I could itemize and articulate these things, especially on a crazy, busy day like today.  I'm pretty sure most everyone here shares in the same general concerns.

But I actually logged in to say something, and now I don't know what it was.  And that right there is probably a thing that annoys someone!    :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »

Well, gotta go pay the property taxes!  (Don't ask.)  (And no, mine aren't escrowed.)

Later.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »

TOD:

Picky eaters and those who will never try anything new or different.

Drivers who do not use their turn signals.

People with a complete ignorance or, even worse, a fear/dislike of other cultures.

People who are rude to service workers (that is, presuming that the service worker is not being rude in the first place).

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 10:33:18 AM »

I have been E & T since Friday afternoon, but I got a lot done around the apartment. Mostly organizing. Hope to continue in this mode for the upcoming 3 day weekend.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »

There is a very intriguing new Bollywood movie coming out next week which has been getting plenty of press. The film is STUDENT OF THE YEAR and features 3 newcomers in the lead roles.

The producer of the film, one of the biggest queens in B-Town, took it upon himself to have the two leading men live at his home for the duration of the filming...helping them learn there lines, etc., etc.

Funny he didn't offer this to the leading lady ;)

I don't know, but would you put these two up on your home for any length of time? Really would be a chore taking care of them 24/7, I would think.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:41:09 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »

Actually, both of the actors are my Facebook friends and it has been fun reading their thoughts and excitment making their first movie. I am looking forward to it.

Here is the trailer:

Caution: beefcake ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrcZoTmDcuU

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: DRAGGLE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SWIMMING SONG

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »

Got up at nine and have been doing stuff on the computer since.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »

CRANBERRIES!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »

UNDERPANTS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 10:46:25 AM »

Page two?

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »

TOD:

Picky eaters and those who will never try anything new or different.

Drivers who do not use their turn signals.

People with a complete ignorance or, even worse, a fear/dislike of other cultures.

People who are rude to service workers (that is, presuming that the service worker is not being rude in the first place).
Thank you for the first and last mentions in particular. Glad to know I'm not alone in these areas. With two nephews who won't eat 95 percent of the food on the planet -- one who is 23 has never willfully eaten a vegetable -- I refuse to take either into account when I have to cook the meal for the whole family.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »

No "Tack," bk?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »

Tack.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »