Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RIBS ON FRIDAY  (Read 21597 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RIBS ON FRIDAY
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes spoke of ribs and Friday, and now it is time for you to post until the Friday cows come home.  They don't want to know from ribs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: RIBS ON FRIDAY
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:20:10 AM »

And the word of the day is: PARTURIENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:20:58 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway birthday to former dear reader Jed, married to occasional dear reader Ann.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 03:16:08 AM »

happy good morning to all.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:16:44 AM »

it's windy and rainy here in south florida
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:09:51 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:32:24 AM »

Good morning, all.

Still having to deal with computers that have horrible keyboards. So, I'm going to buy another today Best Buy has a good deal on a Toshiba, so I'm paying half of what I paid the last one for a laptop that has twice as much memory and more features.

Book signing tonight at my favorite sushi bar and Japanese restaurant. Should be a fun party.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:34:21 AM »

Just make sure you don't get Windows 8. From what I hear it will be worse than Vista ever was.

John G.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:34:43 AM »

TOD:

DVD: The Trouble with Tolstoy, Yankee Doodle Dandy

CD: The Girl Most Likely To, Queen of the Mist
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 04:36:15 AM »

No Windows 8. I tested that at work and know it's going to make a lot of people unhappy. But the Best Buy store is having a launching party for it.
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 05:00:23 AM »

John G - I was thinking that a tablet would be mainly of use when travelling and would save me taking my laptop around.

Doug R

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 05:02:50 AM »

I’ve just received DIAL M FOR MURDER from Amazon.com but for the first time in years I got caught by Customs. Goods of a value over the equivalent of about $24 are subject to tax. The package value was $31.47 including postage so I was landed with an additional charge of about $19, most of which was the Post Office handling charge, making it a very expensive BD indeed. Annoyingly a few days after I ordered it, Warner Bros announced a UK release date of Nov 12. So there was no need to import it at all.   >:(

Doug R

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 05:03:30 AM »

TOD:

Blu - DIAL M FOR MURDER (see above).

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 05:34:10 AM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 05:34:42 AM »

Morning.

Happy Friday.

Yea for the weekend.  ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 05:35:08 AM »

LATE AGAIN.   :-[

Ben

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »

A tablet is great replacement for a laptop when you're traveling (unless you have real work that must be done like at a conference). It's small and easy to use and excels in doing things like checking e-mail, surfing the net, using social media, etc. The problem comes when people interpret ease of use with a tablet to mean that it can replace a laptop or a PC for real, dedicated work. I can't do the daily work I do on a tablet, even if it has a keyboard. It would be excruciating to try and manipulate all the data I handle day to day using an iPad or one of the other tablets. I need a dedicated PC with a real keyboard and a monitor and real software programs, not a bunch of apps that approximate programs that run on a PC. Things seem to be changing from month to month but I don't see PCs or Macs (at least in business situations) going away any time soon.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 05:42:35 AM »

DR Cillaliz, if you don't want to watch political ads why not just PVR/DVR your shows and fast forward thru the commercials?

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 05:44:31 AM »

Also, DR Cillaliz, re: the new/fired cat sitter.

You had mentioned that you knew many people who had used her and said she was great. Did she clean/reorganize for these people? Did none of these people have cats that needed meds?

I think she meant well. So I could see why people might like her if there were no problems. But not calling you ... and you coming back to a hysterical cat. Not good. She is experienced. She should have known better.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 05:44:55 AM »

Happy Birthday to Jed!

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »

It's Friday.  I think every bone in my body knows it's Friday at last.
I like boat races.

John G.

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 06:30:39 AM »

Doug R, I need something I can write with, more than anything. As a result, the keyboard on the nook was a nightmare (and it kept changing the spelling of words it didn't recognize). It took three times as long to get a sentence typed. A friend loaned me her notebook, but typing on it also presents its challenges.

If you don't need to write as much, a tablet would probably be really good.
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 06:36:22 AM »

A tablet is great replacement for a laptop when you're traveling (unless you have real work that must be done like at a conference). It's small and easy to use and excels in doing things like checking e-mail, surfing the net, using social media, etc. The problem comes when people interpret ease of use with a tablet to mean that it can replace a laptop or a PC for real, dedicated work. I can't do the daily work I do on a tablet, even if it has a keyboard. It would be excruciating to try and manipulate all the data I handle day to day using an iPad or one of the other tablets. I need a dedicated PC with a real keyboard and a monitor and real software programs, not a bunch of apps that approximate programs that run on a PC. Things seem to be changing from month to month but I don't see PCs or Macs (at least in business situations) going away any time soon.

Thanks Ben that's helpful. I certainly wouldn't expect a tablet to take the place of what I can do on a laptop.

Doug R

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »

Doug R, I need something I can write with, more than anything. As a result, the keyboard on the nook was a nightmare (and it kept changing the spelling of words it didn't recognize). It took three times as long to get a sentence typed. A friend loaned me her notebook, but typing on it also presents its challenges.

If you don't need to write as much, a tablet would probably be really good.

Thanks for the advice John G. I wouldn't expect or want to do a lot of writing on a tablet but I think it will be useful for surfing the internet and checking email when travelling or away, rather than using my phone or laptop and as I like gadgets it will add to my collection 

John G.

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 06:44:16 AM »

MBarnum, the Indian food at lunch let me to watch Monsoon Wedding again last night. Great movie. Definitely not Bollywood, more like a Punjabi Robert Altman.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 06:56:23 AM »

Also, a tablet is MUCH cheaper to use than a phone when you're traveling. You can usually find wi-fi easily and you don't incur those dreaded roaming charges or other unexpected financial problems you might encounter when using a phone to check e-mail or surf the net.

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 07:20:02 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  I slept like a rock for 9 hours last night and what woke me up was my aching legs.  Too much sitting yesterday.  I imagine Mom and Dolores are pretty wiped out today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 07:27:29 AM »

The conversations going on here about tablets are both very accurate, based on Richard's experience, and helpful as we explore him buying me an iPad this Christmas as I did for him last year.  He concurs with DRs Ben and John G about productivity using the tablet.  At last week's conference, I sat with a woman using a keyboard case like the ones described in THIS ARTICLE.  We think we'll invest in one of these to share, assuming we can find one that works with both iPads.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 08:03:51 AM »

FRIDAY!!!

Very excited about the premiere of the new Outside the Box.....sounds like a perfect time/place for the PREMIERE. I hope you have a red carpet!!!

DR CILLA LIZ - great new avatar....whew!  What a story.  I hope Miss Callie is doing better today.

Yesterday sister Molly and husband Austin visited for awhile with one of their doggies....Lulu....a miniature Boston terrier....who is VERY FAT....didn't get pictures darn it!    Precious looked her over and then went and hid until Lulu went home.  I am thinking maybe her former owners got a new dog and that's when she was given the heave ho.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:20 AM »

I am starting my new schedule this week....which means I work only on Saturday!!! 
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up