Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ASPECT OF RATIOS  (Read 21397 times)

Ginny

Re: THE ASPECT OF RATIOS
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »

I have folded my laundry, walked 'round & 'round the basement, and had my lunch.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »

And, I found page 2!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »

We (meaning Manhattan) are preparing for the worst storm in the history of all storms including Noah's flood. They are talking about closing the Subways and stopping buses, all commuter trains (Metro North and LIRR) will be stopped and bridges will be closed if winds get too high. Nothing but grey skies are here currently but they say it will all start tonight and tomorrow. Part of me wants to take it seriously but part of me is just thinking overkill. I went to Trader Joe's this morning, which is a usual errand, and on Saturday mornings at 9:30 or 10:am they are not crowded and there is plenty on the shelves. Well, this morning it was a madhouse with a line almost out the door and shelves looking pretty picked over. I don't know what's going to happen but I know if they close my office on Monday (which they might do if there is no public transportation) unless it is pouring rain and the wind is unbearable, I will just walk down the block and if my building is open, I will go to my desk and work. We are too close to deadline not to do it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »

I am home, can't stop coughing, and it's driving me mad.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »

We (meaning Manhattan) are preparing for the worst storm in the history of all storms including Noah's flood. They are talking about closing the Subways and stopping buses, all commuter trains (Metro North and LIRR) will be stopped and bridges will be closed if winds get too high. Nothing but grey skies are here currently but they say it will all start tonight and tomorrow. Part of me wants to take it seriously but part of me is just thinking overkill. I went to Trader Joe's this morning, which is a usual errand, and on Saturday mornings at 9:30 or 10:am they are not crowded and there is plenty on the shelves. Well, this morning it was a madhouse with a line almost out the door and shelves looking pretty picked over. I don't know what's going to happen but I know if they close my office on Monday (which they might do if there is no public transportation) unless it is pouring rain and the wind is unbearable, I will just walk down the block and if my building is open, I will go to my desk and work. We are too close to deadline not to do it.

As you know, we have had many dire predictions of this nature recently, none of which has come to pass - I hope that will be the case here and should it be, all the dire predictors will either disappear into the good night with nary a word, or find some way not to look foolish.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »

I moved to Florida just before Hurricane Andrew hit. It was headed straight for Sarasota, and I remember my friends evacuating me from my apartment to their house because it was on higher ground. My evacuation kit contained a bottle of 18-year-old scotch, a couple of tins of anchovies and some almond butter. '

Andrew veered off course and ending up destroying the area south of Miami.

A year or so after I moved out of Florida, Hurricane Charley slammed into the town I was living in then, Port Charlotte. My old house was not hit, but the rest of the street south of it was fairly leveled.

You never know path these things will take. So, be safe and have the Glenfiddich handy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »

My allergies are in overdrive today. I can't stop sneezing. And I had to interview someone from Camp Shane over lunch. I felt miserable and I think she got tired of looking at what a horrible condition I was in. So, I've picked up some Zyrtec and hope it works.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »

BK and everyone:

I just got off the phone with former DR MattH who got home at 11 a.m. EDT today.  His flight home left LAX around midnight last night.  He spent all day at Paramount Studios with his group yesterday, getting back to his hotel at 6 p.m.  He had a message waiting from the shuttle service with which he had scheduled a 9 p.m. pickup to take him to LAX.  They would not be able to pick him up at 9 p.m.  In fact, they needed him to be ready for a 6:45 p.m. pickup.

MattH rushed around getting everything together and then found Adam Gregorich, a co-owner of Home Theater Forum, and told him that he was having to leave and would miss the Twilight Time presentation...something he had been looking forward to but which was now impossible.  Adam then begged him to at least go and say hello to Nick and Julie and Brian (Nick's partner in Twilight Time?) who were at the bar.  Matt was rushed in, said hi, explained his predicament and then rushed out.  The shuttle fee was $25.  Taking a taxi later on would have cost him $100.

It had nothing to do with anything else or anyone else.  It just was what it was.

He had a very full week, most days starting at 6 a.m. and ending around 11 p.m.  He's tired but had a wonderful time.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:21:44 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »

Thankfully they have reduced the rain prediction here drastically. Still have my fingers crossed for Halloween.

Laura

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »

It reminds me of people driving when there are various lanes and someone signals and needs to switch lanes. Here nobody will let that person switch. I always let someone signalling switch. I mean if they are in front of you and they need to switch lanes, why not let them? (and i'm not talking about a long line of cars that need to get in a turning lane and the cars that drive right up to the front so they don't have to wait).

This is how we drive in Phoenix. A turn signal seems to mean "speed up just a bit so he can't move over."  I am always a polite driver. But I think sometimes I'm the only one.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »

Maybe this will help?

A man was walking home alone late one foggy night...

when behind him he heard:

Bump...

BUMP...

BUMP...

Walking faster, he looked back and through the fog he made out the image of an upright casket banging its way down the middle of the street toward him.

BUMP...

BUMP...

BUMP...

Terrified, the man began to run toward his home, the casket bouncing quickly behind him

FASTER...

FASTER...

BUMP...

BUMP...

BUMP...

He ran to his door, fumbled with his keys, opened the door, rushed in, and slammed and locked the door behind him.

However, the casket crashed through his door, with the lid of the casket clapping

clappity-BUMP...

clappity-BUMP...

clappity-BUMP...

on his heels, the terrified man ran.

Rushing upstairs to the bathroom, the man locked himself in. His heart was pounding; his head was reeling; his breath was reduced to sobbing gasps.

With a loud CRASH the casket broke down the door.

Bumping and clapping toward him.

The man screamed and reached for something, anything, but all he could find was a bottle of cough syrup!

Desperate, he threw the cough syrup at the casket...

and,

(pay close attention to this, Elmo)

The coffin stopped!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »

Bonjour Tristesse on Blu Ray?  This is wonderful news.  I shall have to start saving my $$$.  I really love this film....

I thought that was a song from BELLS ARE RINGING.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »

SHOULDER & ARM VIBES FOR DR ELMORE!!!

Jane

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 02:13:49 PM »

Yesterday DR TCB Wrote:
Yes, the driver probably did want you to hit them.  As I found out last year, if you are backing up, regardless of any other circumstances involved, the accident is your fault!

I've never been in a car accident. But I"m pretty sure all accidents here are no fault/equal fault.  Which is okay except when one person is wreckless and really at fault!

Michigan was a no fault state.  It came in handy when I was less at fault than the other person.  I really shouldn't have hurried through the green light until I was absolutely positive the car would not make a left turn in front of me.  The guy didn't even inch forward into the intersection & suddenly turned just before I reached him. 

Jane

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »

Good morning, all.

Book signing went well. We sold about 20 copies and signed a dozen or so more from folks who had gotten their copies from amazon or any of the bookstores. But the real pleasure was showing off the restaurant, the best sushi bar in town, to a number of people who had never been there and really enjoyed themselves.

Nice!

Jane

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »

I like that DR RonP is looking at the bright side of things. I'm sure former DR MattH did have to hurry to get his flight.  But given the way he left I can't imagine that he would have wanted to talk to BK.  It would have been nice if he had quickly said hi even if he had to leave.  But maybe he thought that BK saw him when they passed and that BK did not want to say hi to him.  I wish they could have talked and that DR MattH could come back to HHW.  :(

Well said Jennifer.

Matt H doesn't seem to be holding a grudge.  He has said in the past that he is very busy with other projects.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2012, 02:18:20 PM »

We (meaning Manhattan) are preparing for the worst storm in the history of all storms including Noah's flood.

I haven't finished reading but this cracked me up.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »

You never know path these things will take. So, be safe and have the Glenfiddich handy.

So true, still it is a good idea to be prepared.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »

My allergies are in overdrive today. I can't stop sneezing. And I had to interview someone from Camp Shane over lunch. I felt miserable and I think she got tired of looking at what a horrible condition I was in. So, I've picked up some Zyrtec and hope it works.

Good luck it does.  I think I'm coming down with a cold instead of just having allergies.  I took half a Benadryl last night & it didn't do anything so I'll take a whole one tonight.  I've been taking Halls Defense today.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »

BK and everyone:

I just got off the phone with former DR MattH who got home at 11 a.m. EDT today.  His flight home left LAX around midnight last night.  He spent all day at Paramount Studios with his group yesterday, getting back to his hotel at 6 p.m.  He had a message waiting from the shuttle service with which he had scheduled a 9 p.m. pickup to take him to LAX.  They would not be able to pick him up at 9 p.m.  In fact, they needed him to be ready for a 6:45 p.m. pickup.

MattH rushed around getting everything together and then found Adam Gregorich, a co-owner of Home Theater Forum, and told him that he was having to leave and would miss the Twilight Time presentation...something he had been looking forward to but which was now impossible.  Adam then begged him to at least go and say hello to Nick and Julie and Brian (Nick's partner in Twilight Time?) who were at the bar.  Matt was rushed in, said hi, explained his predicament and then rushed out.  The shuttle fee was $25.  Taking a taxi later on would have cost him $100.

It had nothing to do with anything else or anyone else.  It just was what it was.

He had a very full week, most days starting at 6 a.m. and ending around 11 p.m.  He's tired but had a wonderful time.

Thank you so much for this report.  I'm sorry he had to miss the Twilight Time presentation he was looking forward to.  What a shame about the shuttle change. 

Jane

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2012, 02:32:01 PM »

(pay close attention to this, Elmo)

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »

Maybe this will help?

A man was walking home alone late one foggy night...

when behind him he heard:

Ron, couldn't you have stretched this out over 12 posts?
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »

There sure are a lot of leaves falling off the trees.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »

My medical insurance is going up another $16.00 a month.  I guess I shouldn't complain, but I will anyway.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »

New release is prepped, and I went out and picked up one package and had a quesadilla.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »

Glad MattH had a good time.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2012, 02:50:44 PM »

I hope that this storm doesn't turn out to be the "storm to end all storms," but I would rather be warned and have nothing happen than to not be warned at all.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »

Okay, we need to get off of this page.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!