Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: BREEZY  (Read 40948 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: BREEZY
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 10:20:16 AM »

Page 3!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »

Off to see Dr. Gerber - bye for now!

Shouldn't Dr. Gerber be a baby doctor?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »

And here's the 42nd Street subway station.

Wow! 

Indeed.  Not only empty, but clean!
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2012, 10:25:43 AM »

From TheaterMania:

Victor Herbert: Eileen (New World Records) A thorough job of detective work has resulted in this impressive first full-scale recording of Victor Herbert's 1916 operetta, set against the backdrop of Irish rebellions at the end of the eighteenth century. Herbert's felicity for lush melodies is in boundless evidence here. But what might be most extraordinary about his work is how it not only presupposes work by Jerome Kern and George Gershwin, but also draws on Irish airs and even John Philip Sousa. Backed by the Orchestra of Ireland, the principals all deliver robust performances, particularly tenor Eamonn Mulhall as the show's hero.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »

Hmmm... the worst weather I have been in that is a curious question.

Since I live in an area of the country where do not have a lot of earthquakes and hurricanes, we get floods, snowstorms, windstorms and thunderstorms.

There are so many to choose from...  The winter of 1996-97 was not a fun winter... AT ALL!

A quick geography lesson. The Red River of the North flows north and is at the bottom of an ancient glacial lake called Lake Agassiz. There fore a lot of things flow into the valley, including overland flooding.

I would have to say one of the worst was in March 1997. During the winter we had over 140 inches of snow and that is way above our normal amount of snow. It was very dangerous for driving in towns as one could not see another vehicle approaching from an intersection. There were places where the snowbanks were so high you could on them from a second story window. We had a lot of blizzards that winter and including three in one week.  Due to the amount of snow we received that winter, they were already telling people to prepare for a severe spring flood. The entire Red River Basin had between 90 to 140 inches of snow and all the water had to go somewhere. One report of snow cores from different areas had the water level in the snow at over 8 inches and as high as 15 inches of melted moisture.

In March 1997, we had an ice storm just as the rivers were starting to rise. The rain melted a lot of the snow and the rivers were full. In the Wahpeton area they were sandbagging in a blizzard. The ice storm brought 50 tp 70 mile an hour winds in addition to precipitation creating interesting patterns on houses. The power and phone lines snapped from the weight of the ice on the lines. We did not have power for nearly a week in Thompson. Temperatures were in the 20s and I wore many layers of clothes. The river did go down a little and left ice shelves on the trees in the Wahpeton area. It was rather cool looking. Less than a week after the storm it started to warm up rapidly and the rivers were on the rise and fast. Fargo was within two inches of being lost due to the height of the river. Water started to flow in from the tributaries  and overland flooding as the Red River is the lowest spot in the area.

I was in Grand Forks the day the city went under. The sirens sounded about 6 am as water started to top the dikes in Lincoln Park. It was surreal.

The flood of 2009 in Fargo was another surreal esperience. We had heavy snow in the winter but not to the level of 1997 and heavy rain that spring. The river rose rapidly and again Fargo barely survived as we had a blizzard and it created ice chunks on the river. Ice chunks are not good for earthen dikes.

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »

The surreal thing about overland flooding is that it makes the country side look like something out of the Louisiana Bayou country or a sea...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »

Irene looks dwarfed in that photo

ChasSmith

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2012, 10:35:42 AM »

I bought a few cases of those 16- or 20-oz bottles of drinking water, too.  Good stuff to have around anyway, and I still have a few gallons of spring water that need to be used up.  The filled tubs will take care of all other needs.  Necessities.  "Rhode Island's out visiting the necessary."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »

Chas darling, when are we hearing about your marvelous trip?  Stories were promised you know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »

Helper has come and gone.

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »

You are *this* close to hearing stories.  Trust me on that.

ChasSmith

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »

I just know that as soon as I start in on something, the lights are going to go off......

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »

From TheaterMania:

Victor Herbert: Eileen (New World Records) A thorough job of detective work has resulted in this impressive first full-scale recording of Victor Herbert's 1916 operetta, set against the backdrop of Irish rebellions at the end of the eighteenth century. Herbert's felicity for lush melodies is in boundless evidence here. But what might be most extraordinary about his work is how it not only presupposes work by Jerome Kern and George Gershwin, but also draws on Irish airs and even John Philip Sousa. Backed by the Orchestra of Ireland, the principals all deliver robust performances, particularly tenor Eamonn Mulhall as the show's hero.

Fantastic! Thanks for posting that, DR JohnG!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »

Off to see Dr. Gerber - bye for now!

Shouldn't Dr. Gerber be a baby doctor?

LOL!

He and I have a date for a week from Thursday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »

Damn.  Power just did a little blinky thing.

ChasSmith

« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »

Signing off, just so I can unplug laptop and conserve battery power.  Hopefully back later!!

KevinH

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »

Success!  I found 3 bags of ice.  They fit in my freezer for now --in the (apparently inevitable) power outage I can put two of them in my coolers.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »

The weather's been pretty much the same in my neck of the woods in the South of Jersey for the past 12 hours--blustery wind and a constant pouring rain.  While I know it's going to get much worse (core of the storm will pass just south of here), I'm not overly worried.  My house is brick and the roof structure was reinforced a few years ago when I put on a new roof.  If anything, I'll keep an eye on the aluminum awning and bay window in the front of the house (fortunately, the wind seems to be blowing at the back.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2012, 11:38:32 AM »

Yesterday morning I ran out to a supermarket to do my panic buying.  In spite of my dislike of bottled water (on environmental grounds), I did wind up buying two 24-packs. I also bought some more Halloween candy (it was on sale…)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Doug R

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2012, 11:42:09 AM »

Back from a reunion pub lunch. Round the corner from the pub, a smart new fish and chip takeaway plus fish restaurant has opened which I must try out some time.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »

What drove me crazy while driving back and forth to the store was seeing how many households were not hurricane-proofed.  People had trash cans and recycling containers out on the curbs, large halloween decorations on their lawns, chairs and rockers and planters on porches.  I saw one woman blowing a huge pile of leaves into the street gutter, where they will most likely help clog up the storm drains. A house on the next block from me had a huge pile of junk piled for trash pick-up (the township sent out phone messages informing residents that trash pick-up has been cancelled this week.)  And believe it or not, I saw one family setting up a yard sale!  What is wrong with these people!
-- Anaïs Nin

KevinH

« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »

TOD: It would have to be the "Blizzard of '77," Buffalo, NY.  There was already a lot of snow on the ground when the blizzard hit.  People were stranded in offices since it hit so suddenly.  The average snow for a Buffalo winter is about 100 inches--that year the count was 199.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »

From TheaterMania:

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing, John G., and Congrats to Elmore!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »

Apparently, "I'm Still Here".

Doug R

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »

TOD

That's easy. No question about it, The worst weather I've ever experienced is what became known as "The Great Storm of 1987". This affected mainly the south of England and was the worst storm to affect Britain for several hundred years. I awoke about 1.00 in the morning to the sound of the wind and of roof tiles falling to the ground and the sound of all kinds of things being blown about. In the morning, many of my tiles had gone as had most of my fences, with rubbish and branches strewn everywhere. By 10.00 in the morning the winds had lessened to the extent that I could still cycle to work - although not many people turned up. On the roads I passed and manouvered around numerous fallen trees and other debris. I had no electricity for over two days so I couldn't even see the news coverage of the devastation.  

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »

My sister's boyfriend sent me this link:  "For all the details on Mitt Romney's 5 trillion dollar tax plan visit ROMNEYTAXPLAN.COM"

LOL!!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »

My sister's boyfriend sent me this link:  "For all the details on Mitt Romney's 5 trillion dollar tax plan visit ROMNEYTAXPLAN.COM"

LOL!!!!

Vixmom, are you at home?
“One thing’s universal,

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »

home from the office -- stopped and got soem more groceries -- I already had all the necessities decided to get some treats - apples, grapes, cheese crackers, chips and sourcream  to make dip
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2012, 12:30:11 PM »

Hmm, I am the only Left Coaster who is posting.  Apparently, the rest of them are out shopping for hurricane supplies.  Just in case.
“One thing’s universal,

ChasSmith

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »

Off to watch some more TV, as though I'll actually be learning something new.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up