Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FAT AND THE LEAN  (Read 22119 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE FAT AND THE LEAN
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »

The weather has finally done what was predicted: rained on and off all day long. We really needed this good, soaking rain.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »

derBrucer thank you for the lovely photos of your birds.

Ginny, I think you should return the glasses while they are still guaranteed.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »

Page Five Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2009, 02:10:18 PM »

Well, much against my will, I now have another show to add to my viewing list. I have been eager to pare down my list to open up some more time, and now FLASHPOINT gets added to the weekly list. I watched my first-ever episode while I ate lunch today, and by the end I had tears streaming down my face. I was just expecting a police procedural. It was that but very emotional. I loved last night's episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »

I had time this afternoon to go ahead and watch all of the bonus features on CADILLAC RECORDS (wanted to watch the movie tonight). There was a making of documentary that was really just an EPK puff piece with everyone extolling everyone else's genius on the shoot. There was a more interesting feature on the costumes and production design for the movie (set in the 1950s). There were five deleted scenes none running more that two minutes.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »

So, looks like I'm going to have some time tonight to watch something for fun. Haven't decided yet what it will be because I'll have to leave an hour at the end of the evening to use for writing.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2009, 02:33:02 PM »

OK. I've completed my afternoon surf and am now heading back downstairs to watch CADILLAC RECORDS and then something else for my evening of work/play.

WBBL.

Jane

« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »

Well, much against my will, I now have another show to add to my viewing list. I have been eager to pare down my list to open up some more time, and now FLASHPOINT gets added to the weekly list. I watched my first-ever episode while I ate lunch today, and by the end I had tears streaming down my face. I was just expecting a police procedural. It was that but very emotional. I loved last night's episode.

Did you watch the latest episode or are you beginning from the first season?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »

It had me hooked from the git-go. They spend minimal time on character back-stories for the regular cast (and even that is often tied into the drama at hand). More than most of the procedurals, the event-of-the-week usually has a compelling personal story; in fact, the "procedural" elements are often a minor player.

der Brucer

Have you tried Eleventh Hour yet?
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2009, 02:48:28 PM »

TOD:

I am shocked that no one has mentioned one of my favorite movies about actors, STAGEDOOR.

I am also shocked that DR Elmore did not mention SLINGS AND ARROWS (even though it's a TV series.)

And I am also fond of a Terrance McNally play that tried out in Philly and never opened on Broadway titled BROADWAY, BROADWAY.  It starred Geraldine Fiztgerald and James Coco--I thought it was quite funny.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »

Back from errands and two hours in the editing room - I got a little snippy with the editor, who'd arrived late and had done very little - he sort of wants to have me do the work, I think, but I want him to do the pickups and let me finesse them.  I did a few things for the two hours and then came home - the Handy Man is here and fixing things.  He doesn't expect me to do anything, unlike the editor.  After he's gone, I'll go get something to eat, and then around six I have to deliver a box o' CDs to a dealer.  So, "me" time is not happening today - there's always tomorrow.  I do hope to get to watch a motion picture later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »

I do wish they'd put Those Lips, Those Eyes on DVD one of these days - I don't know that I've ever seen it all the way through.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »

And might I just point out - page FIVE???

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »

derBrucer thank you for the lovely photos of your birds.

Thanx - you can return the favor by posting more Sherlock.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2009, 02:59:35 PM »

I went to peck at some bones at Circuit City today.  I really didn't expect to find anything, but I did come across a network adapter for my Wii and a pair of ethernet cables.  The shelf price stated that they were 19.99 and 28.99 respectively, but when I took them to the register they rang up to 10.99 and 11.99 each.

Still, even though I never had much love for the Circuit City stores, it was rather sad to see it in such a state.  These bigbox stores once reflected the boom economic times and the country's love affair with the very latest technical gadgets.  Today it looked like a big indoor flea market with a lot of junk that no one really wants.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2009, 03:06:16 PM »

It had me hooked from the git-go. They spend minimal time on character back-stories for the regular cast (and even that is often tied into the drama at hand). More than most of the procedurals, the event-of-the-week usually has a compelling personal story; in fact, the "procedural" elements are often a minor player.

der Brucer

I set it to record & see if it grabs us this late in the game.  Unless I'm missing something it isn't on tonight & I'll have to wait until next week to watch.

I also programmed CASTLE to record, a new show Keith beginning March 9th.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »

DR DtM just this morning I was reading many of the non-returnable items from Circuit City are broken & don't work.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »

Ginny, I have the same problem with my progressive lens--I just don't get good reading vision from it. I have a pair of reading glasses that I use on the computer and when doing any desk work or while reading in bed. So much easier! My pal Dave recommended them when I first got the progressive and he was right.

Jane, Ginny's situation may be like mine, where the progressive is the best they can make it. It sounds like der Brucer is also a committed multi-eyeglass person. 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2009, 03:15:52 PM »

TOD:

I am also shocked that DR Elmore did not mention SLINGS AND ARROWS (even though it's a TV series.)

Yes, or anyone else before you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »

And now, because I just don't think it's right to sweep this under the rug any longer.  As most or all of you know, we had a contretemps a couple of weeks ago with someone who only comes here when it serves his purpose - which means he has rarely come here.  He was rude, he was, in my opinion, wrong to harvest e-mail addresses and PMs from this site - very presumptuous if you ask me.  I didn't make a huge deal out of it, but he thought I did, and then it escalated from there, and I refused to play that game, even though I wanted to.  Privately, he e-mailed me several of the rudest e-mails I've ever received and to those, since they were private, I responded in kind, equally as rude.  Fine and dandy.  These sorts of people, however, always show their true colors and their true colors always speak more eloquently than I ever could.  In his case, he kept telling me he'd received all sorts of e-mails supporting him and dissing me - and to prove his point, he forwarded me a PM from a dear reader, who did exactly that.

It wasn't multiple e-mails, so perhaps that was the only one he'd received because I really believe had he received others he would have sent them - that's the sort he is.  I was very upset by the PM, which was very critical of me - knocking books that obviously hadn't been read (my work went downhill after the first book or first couple of books, said this person, even though as far as I know never read any of them post Writer's Block (and I'm not sure he read that).  He went on to state that he never read the notes because he didn't care about my day.  He said I was possessive of the people on this site (say WHAT?), and on and on, including the statement that it was MY fault that we'd lost several dear readers (say WHAT?). 

I wrote him a note saying that his PM had made me sick to my stomach and that I was sorry he felt that way.  As far as I know, he has never bothered to read that PM (this was confirmed to me by someone who's been in touch with him).  Now, you must understand, I have never EVER been anything but supportive and kind to this person dating back to the days of The Real A.  Never an unkind word from me, and total support through various travails.  So, why would he have this horrible attitude towards me, and yet keep coming to the site, taking everyone's support, and getting whatever benefit he got?  To me, that would be like going to a party at someone's home, and you despising the someone whose home it is, but going anyway because you like the guests.  That's a little odd if you ask me.  But ultimately there is a reason for all this and it all stems back, as I mentioned, to the Pogue/Panni debacle.  Somehow I became the villain in that piece, and it continues to this day, I guess.  In reality, I had nothing to do with it, other than trying to calm the waters.  When the waters were finally calmed, one of the parties could not let that be and couldn't stop trying to roil them, and it wasn't Pogue.  I banned the other party for a few hours, until I had a telephonic conversation with her, and I told her I would lift the ban if she promised to stop.  She did, and I lifted the ban.  But hell hath no fury like a woman banned - she basically left the site, and she began a series of "behind the scenes" e-mailing to as many people as she could - basically saying what a horrible person I was and how poorly I treated her.  Now, the latter was entering personal territory and had nothing to do with this site - nor, I may add, was it true.  But I'm not going into that - but her e-mail campaign worked for certain people and we lost wonderful regulars like Jay and Dan-In-Toronto. 

When PennyO did her show in New York and many of us went, the people who attended the post-show dinner all saw first-hand what was really happening, and each and every one of them came to me and told me they'd been e-mailed but that they now saw what it was really about.  I was, at least for those folks, somewhat vindicated, because yes, there are two sides to every tale.  I mention this only because that was, apparently, when the person changed his opinion of me.  In fact, he visited LA and didn't call ME but called her and saw her.  It's pretty obvious to anyone with eyes.  That whole period was a bit upsetting to me because everyone just seemed so willing to believe her, without even asking me if it was true.  But we go on, and life goes on.

But now we've lost another dear reader thanks to all that.  Hopefully he learned a little lesson - not to send PMs to people he doesn't really know and shouldn't trust.  I would have thought some response from him would have been nice, but, alas, it was not to be.  It was not my intention to make him leave the site, but I suppose he was embarrassed that I'd seen what he'd written.  If he would have, at any point, asked me if what he'd been told was true, I could have straightened him out.  But, it's just easier and more fun to believe the lies, I guess.

And so, I'm sure most of you have noticed that tomovoz has left us.  What I want everyone to know, and I mean EVERYONE, including someone who I've known for forty something years, is that I am NOT the villain, I have never been the VILLAIN, and this, in fact, has nothing to do with me, as much as certain types would like to have it be.  All I have ever done in terms of this here site is try to make a positive, wonderful, supportive place for people to come.  Do we have friction occasionally - sure.  Have some of us gotten unnecessarily snippy - sure.  Do we get over it?  Sure.  Because the bottom line is this is a pretty wonderful place.  I'm sorry tomovoz left - I'm more sorry that he feels the way he does, because a lot of that feeling, I think, stems from being told untruths.  I have no doubt there is e-mailing going on behind the scenes still, which is why I felt it necessary to set the record straight.

And that's the way I see it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 03:19:42 PM by bk »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2009, 03:17:32 PM »

Oh, Ginny did say her new glasses are bifocals, so they should be able to give her a good reading Rx.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »

True Jeanne, and similiar to my problem I solved by removing most of the reading section.  I believe the difference between Ginny & us is hers are bifocals vs progressive.  Progressive might solve the computer problem.

I find tilting my head to different angles helps.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »

Wow, that was long.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2009, 03:20:12 PM »

You'd think something that long would have gotten us to page six - but nooooo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2009, 03:20:49 PM »

What to eat - that is the question.  Handy Man is still here fixing things, though, and until that's done I can't leave.

MBarnum

« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »

BK, I don't think you need to explain yourself to us, but I am sure getting it off of your chest felt loads better.

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »

Just back from seeing MILK. Quite a good film and Sean Penn was wonderful. He certainly deserved the honors he got at the Academy Awards.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »

I just watched and reviewed the most G-d-awful ABDUCTION FROM THE SERAGLIO.  Gorgeously sung, beautifully played, and about the most atrocious "rethinking" and set design ever. 
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2009, 03:32:34 PM »

You know you're in trouble when Blondchen is in a miniskirt, lying on a sectional La-Z-Boy couch.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2009, 03:32:42 PM »

You expect me to think clearly at 8:15 am? And, while i love love love the series, it was neither a play, musical, nor movie!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up