Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: BAFFLED  (Read 33334 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:BAFFLED
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »

All this talk about traffic this morning...

I Love New York!  ;)

And another hundred people....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2008, 09:29:22 AM »

Two other variables can also contribute to the disruption of traffic: Weather and man-made accidents
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »

Huz and zah!

[size=8] PAGE 5[/size][/color][/shadow]

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:34:21 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »

In this area on rural roads: Farm Equipment.... There are times you will clip along at a fast speed of 25mph
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »

I feel like living in this building is a Joseph McCarthy time capsule: last night after the Fed Ex cartons had departed, my neighbor Steve, who's paranoid as Jaymie about a bedbug infestation, asked me last night if I'd been using the laundry in the basement.  Maria on the fourth floor had told him there were bedbugs in the washers.  

So, this morning, I ran wash cycles of heavy bleach and detergent with no clothes through both washers before doing my laundry.  I think it's all crap, but I also am concerned about what appears to be a bedbug witch hunt.

I just spoke to a friend, an opera singer in a town outside Manhattan, who just went through a lice scare with her daughter: she said it was a complete madhouse with children ostracized and madness of neighbors. Oy!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:39:20 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »

On my way to storage

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »

I feel like living in this building is a Joseph McCarthy time capsule: last night after the Fed Ex cartons had departed, my neighbor Steve, who's paranoid as Jaymie about a bedbug infestation, asked me last night if I'd been using the laundry in the basement.  Maria on the fourth floor had told him there were bedbugs in the washers.  

So, this morning, I ran wash cycles of heavy bleach and detergent with no clothes through both washers before doing my laubdry.  I think it's all crap, but I also am concerned about what appears to be a bedbug witch hunt.

I just spoke to a friend, an opera singer in a town outside Manhattan, who just went through a lice scare with her daughter: she said it was a complete madhouse with children ostracized and madness of neighbors. Oy!

If you have a friend who is a lawyer, you might consider having some sort of "cease and desist" order issued to various tenants about their coming to you about this bed bug business.

This is clearly NOT your fault and they need to understand that any infestation THEY may encounter will have derived from a source similar to the one that caused yours.  It's a building management issue and it needs to be removed from your shoulders immediately, even if legal action is necessary.

Your neighbors are shit-heels and don't deserve any further consideration from you.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2008, 09:39:48 AM »

DR elmore - What about the other tenants in the building who had bed bugs BEFORE you?  Are they getting the same type of paranoia-prompted treatment?

*And if anyone can find a totally bug-free - bed bugs or otherwise - laundry room in NYC, well... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »

If you have a friend who is a lawyer, you might consider having some sort of "cease and desist" order issued to various tenants about their coming to you about this bed bug business.

This is clearly NOT your fault and they need to understand that any infestation THEY may encounter will have derived from a source similar to the one that caused yours.  It's a building management issue and it needs to be removed from your shoulders immediately, even if legal action is necessary.

Your neighbors are shit-heels and don't deserve any further consideration from you.

I will draft a letter to the building management.  It's all so ridiculous.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2008, 09:41:20 AM »

Good luck vibes to Karen...

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »

I will draft a letter to the building management.  It's all so ridiculous.

DR Elmore - in your letter, use that middle paragraph from DR Ron's post.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

I agree Elmore...

I also concur with RLP's suggestion of acquiring a cease and desist order concerning your neighbors
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:45:12 AM by DakotaCelt »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »

DR elmore - What about the other tenants in the building who had bed bugs BEFORE you?  Are they getting the same type of paranoia-prompted treatment?

*And if anyone can find a totally bug-free - bed bugs or otherwise - laundry room in NYC, well... ;)

That's a good question, and I don't know the answer.  I'm both amused and concerned over all of this anxiety.

When I was at the height of the problem here, one morning at the large laundromat down the street where I was washing verything daily I watched a homeless lady putting everything in her bags into the dryers to dry them off from the damp and cold.  I was paranoid about head and crab lice for over a week afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:54:50 AM by elmore3003 »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »

(((((Elmore))))

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2008, 09:48:32 AM »

Both of my opportunities to be fascinating today have been cancelled.  My morning database coaching appointment cancelled because she's sick and the class from Cedarville University is not allowed to leave campus in a snowstorm.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2008, 09:49:55 AM »

Maybe Karma will strike and the paranoid neighbors will get it and you can shake your head at them..

A person can get anything at anytime. The mobility of Americans makes such infestation much easier to happen.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:51:43 AM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »

Another day will come Ginny <G>

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2008, 09:57:16 AM »

OOH!!!!

Well, I thought I had some auditions to play this afternoon, but after taking a look at my iCalendar, and realizing I had not fully updated it since the last volley of e-mails, well... Another day off. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »

So... DR elmore - Since I'm off today...  Movie?  Dinner?  Ringing neighbor's doorbells and running?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2008, 10:00:58 AM »

I really don't have a lot of experience of heavy urban traffic for it tends to be a non-issue up here.  My experiences have been limited to the Twin Cities and Winnipeg.  The funniest experience was when DBF and I were coming back from the cities Memorial Day weekend last year... It was entertaining to say the least... We went to Albertville, an outlet mall, on the way back and when left to head back to FArgo there was a 10 mile backup of traffic going east towards the Twin Cities on I94... It was amusing.

The only other time DBF and I experienced heavier traffic was when we went to a freinds wedding in Stevens Point, WI this past October.  We tried to avoid I 94 going into through the cities for a lot of traffic was re-routed on that due to the I35W bridge being out. We also got to the Cities about the time rush hour was starting. Trying to be a helpful navigator I suggested another route to take us to the northern suburbs to avoid Mpls and St. Paul. We were trucking along merrily until we ran into a construction accident near White Bear Lake.  After the person got his bobcat extricated from the spot he was in, we continued right along.  I was pleasantly surprised at how fast we actually moved. We picked up I-94 at the Woodbury interchange and continued east.

I will say one thing, some North Dakotans from rural areas are clueless of how to drive in a more urban setting.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2008, 10:05:57 AM »

One thing that baffled me when I was in the Boston area visiting freinds a number of years ago was the penchant of double parking in South Boston.

They had a small nor'easter when I was there and people pulled chairs, couches, trash cans and anything else to hold their cleaned parking spot after they pulled out in South Boston neighborhoods.

Ginny

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2008, 10:07:07 AM »

Another day will come Ginny <G>

Yup, midday tomorrow when I'm the scheduled speaker for the Dayton chapter of SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives).  I'm taking all my materials and handouts with me tonight, in case we have a delayed opening tomorrow like we had last Friday.  Then I could go directly to the venue to start my workday.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »

DR Jose, I'm waiting to hear from Charlotte about possibly doing something this afternoon.  Later, I have a date for dinner with my friend Val.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2008, 10:14:23 AM »

DR Jose, I'm waiting to hear from Charlotte about possibly doing something this afternoon.  Later, I have a date for dinner with my friend Val.

OK... I thought Charlotte flew off somewhere on Sunday?  Or was she flying into NYC?  Color me confused.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2008, 10:14:55 AM »

Knock 'em dead Ginny!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2008, 10:21:26 AM »

Hmmm.... This could be interesting....

Don't miss this unforgettable theatrical experience in the world's most famous park!
Ladies and Gents
A Live Noir Thriller
Two weeks only! Special Discount for Smarttix Email Subscribers.

Direct from Dublin and Edinburgh, the North American premiere of an unforgettable award-winning theatrical event in the Bethesda Fountain Toilets of Central Park!

A site-specific noir thriller performed inside the heated public bathrooms of the world's most famous park, Ladies and Gents has shocked and delighted audiences and critics alike from Dublin to Edinburgh.

"A Thrilling Theatrical Experience"
-The Scotsman

"Visceral Little Shocker, Brilliantly Detailed"
-The Guardian

"Chilling and Wonderfully Entertaining"
-Evening Herald

Winner of the Edinburgh Fringe First Award

Written and Directed by Paul Walker, Original Direction by Karl Shiels

Limited Engagement March 17th - 29th ONLY Performances at 7PM, 8PM, and 9PM nightly

Running time: 40 minutes

Tickets General Sale: $25

I guess I should start working on my companion piece, Reservoir Jogs.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »

OK... I thought Charlotte flew off somewhere on Sunday?  Or was she flying into NYC?  Color me confused.

She's in NYC. Break from Ann Arbor.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2008, 10:27:43 AM »

And a gentle reminder for any Starbucks-inclined DRs...

All Starbucks locations will be closed today from 5:30-8:30 for "corporate re-training".

*I'm tempted to head down to Times Square just to see all the people bumping into the locked doors.  ;)  -As well, as the extra business at Dunkin' Donuts - which happens to be offering extra perks today as a sort of counter-promotion.

The Press Release
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:29:55 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2008, 10:42:27 AM »

Elmore, I hope you and the fair Charlotte have a lovely afternoon.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2008, 10:43:30 AM »

NOt a big fan of Starbucks... Prefer Dunn Bros., Gloria Jeans or Bear Claw... There is a local shop I like really well, Atomic Coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up