Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: BAFFLED  (Read 33328 times)

brian

• What is it, fish?
Re:BAFFLED
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »

Belated post; Fave Hitchcock is NOTORIOUS...Driving pattern I like is long highway trip where one can listen to lots of plays and music.  The Oscar Broadcast was so dull, I kept switching over to the L&O SUV Marathon. They recently added some rotaries here in the Ann Arbor area, which has some people freaked out, but I got practice driving in and out of Boston as a teenager...I hope at next years Oscars the film IN BRUGES gets some notice. About two Irish hit men stranded in Belgium,it contains lotsa violence and off color language, including a word that I gather pops up in Mrs Ensler's MONOLOGUES, but in Brit films seems to be used  mostlyy gangsters(male)shouting it at one another.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2008, 10:51:04 AM »

II also concur with RLP's suggestion of acquiring a cease and desist order concerning your neighbors

A waste of money - an unenforceable piece of paper with which the neighbors will litter the hallways.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

singdaw

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2008, 10:51:31 AM »

DR Jane - at $14.95, here is a slightly less expensive option for DS Bryan...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »

Worst Traffic Ever:  Naples, Italy.  I suppose it's no better now than it ever was, but it was particularly wacky and wild in the 1970s.  Most Italians drove cars the size (or smaller) of VW Beetles.  Four-lane roads in busy areas routinely (that's ROUTINELY) became a maze of six or seven lanes going in EACH direction...including lanes of cars "passing" on the sidewalks.

It had a funky kind of rhythm to it...and no one ever got more than scraped or dented in the hustle/bustle of it all.

But you had to seriously adapt your brain to the uniqueness of it or you were apt to freak out.

And learning to cross the street in that environment is a challenge - best tactic - stand on the curb; look straight ahead; step out smartly, and DON'T look at the traffic - cars will never stop if they know you see them.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2008, 10:57:41 AM »

One thing that baffled me when I was in the Boston area visiting freinds a number of years ago was the penchant of double parking in South Boston.

Many Bostonians often create a third space by utilizing the sidewalk :D

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »

My new chair cushions arrived.  Quite lovely, I must say.

No word from Charlotte.  she may be in dance class o up to Horace Mann to see friends.

I love Fed Ex tracking.  42 of the 43 cartons are in Lewiston, PA at the moment.  It looks as if one got delayed but is now in transit to join the others.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:59:57 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »

And learning to cross the street in that environment is a challenge - best tactic - stand on the curb; look straight ahead; step out smartly, and DON'T look at the traffic - cars will never stop if they know you see them.

der Brucer

That's very much like the driving advice I got from a New York City cab driver: Never use your rear-view mirror.  -As soon as you look to see who's behind you, you will most likely hit the person, car, truck, pole in front of you.  Truly some of the best driving advice I've ever gotten, and when I would drive in the city - and I LOVED driving in NYC (yes, I'm crazy) - just keeping my eyes on what was going on in front of me always made my life easier.  -Oh, and my right hand ever-ready to hit the horn too.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:06:02 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2008, 11:06:48 AM »

I do understand the problems of snow and urban parking.

Just the other day, I came home to find the street spot that I always park in, and had spent considerable time "clearing" from last week's storm, occupied by an unfamiliar car.

singdaw

« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »

I'm so glad that Maureen McGovern's new late 60's cabaret set is being recorded!

singdaw

« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - you would have us believe that you met up with DR Jason last night, and not one zany picture of him to show for it?

Or none that you're publishing, anyway...

singdaw

« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2008, 11:16:26 AM »

It looks like Lupone's Gypsy may get recorded.

We'll have to pre-order a copy for DR Tomovoz.   ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »

Big power failures occurring in South Florida this afternoon: eight power plants seem to be out.  Any word about DRs Danise and Michael Shayne?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - you would have us believe that you met up with DR Jason last night, and not one zany picture of him to show for it?

Or none that you're publishing, anyway...

We weren't in a zany mood last night.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »

Big power failures occurring in South Florida this afternoon: eight power plants seem to be out.  Any word about DRs Danise and Michael Shayne?

Yep - Just saw the breaking news myself.  WOW!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2008, 11:20:47 AM »

I'm so glad that Maureen McGovern's new late 60's cabaret set is being recorded!

She was just at the Metropolitan Room here in NYC, and I meant to head down there to catch her new show.  I thought they were going to try to do a live recording of her show at one time, but I guess she's heading into the studio.  -Although, I wouldn't mind a live studio recording like she did for her Gershwin album.
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2008, 11:25:29 AM »

Do the bartenders at Splash! really wear only speedos?  And is that just on Monday nights, or all the time?

Since I'm married, I'm only asking for a...friend.  ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2008, 11:30:38 AM »

Do the bartenders at Splash! really wear only speedos?  And is that just on Monday nights, or all the time?

Since I'm married, I'm only asking for a...friend.  ;)

Always.  It's the carry over from when they used to have actual glass-enclosed shower stalls behind the bar.  Some of the "wandering bartenders" also wear speedos, but some also wear jeans and a tank top or just jeans and no top.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »

And "married" couples are always welcome at Splash. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2008, 11:33:51 AM »

Jose, if you see Ryan again, tell him hey for me, and tell him not to do what most of his generation is doing - becoming hopeless alchoholics.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »

Jose, if you see Ryan again, tell him hey for me, and tell him not to do what most of his generation is doing - becoming hopeless alchoholics.

Well... He already knows he's a "cheap date" so to speak, so... No worries there.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »

I have been to storage, found the chart I was looking for without too much trouble, have had a motor car smog check for the DMV renewal (so different now - even two years ago we had to put the proof of successful smog check AND the insurance in the envelope with the renewal fees, but now insurance and smog check are done electronically directly to the DMV.  So, that's all taken care of and I suppose I'll have my new tags in a couple of weeks, even though they're not really necessary until end of April.  

Ginny

« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »

It appears to me, from what's been appearing in my email all day, that there's a leak in our corporate firewall.  Don't you think the geniuses in IT could figure out how to repair it?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »

there's a leak in our corporate firewall

You mean DR FJL's emails are still getting through?   ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2008, 11:55:20 AM »

OK - I need to take some "away from the computer" time.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2008, 11:56:57 AM »

You mean DR FJL's emails are still getting through?   ;)

Is he selling debt reduction schemes, luxury footwear, pharmaceuticals, business loans, or replica watches?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2008, 12:02:48 PM »

Advice, not schemes - big difference!  :)

Ginny

« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2008, 12:11:47 PM »

Advice, not schemes - big difference!  :)

What I'm getting are definitely schemes, so they must not be from you, DR FJL  ;) !

MBarnum

« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »

www.indiaweekly.com had another one of their 70% off DVD sales...and of course I couldn't resist.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »

DR Jane - at $14.95, here is a slightly less expensive option for DS Bryan...

;D

And you aren't required to attend Gross Anatomy!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »

I do understand the problems of snow and urban parking.

Just the other day, I came home to find the street spot that I always park in, and had spent considerable time "clearing" from last week's storm, occupied by an unfamiliar car.

And where's the REST of the story? Hummm...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up