Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOCKEY PUCK OF LIFE  (Read 38121 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE HOCKEY PUCK OF LIFE
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2005, 08:36:11 PM »

Here is my ask BK (or any DR) question:

Do you ever start a movie on DVD only to get interrupted so you stop it...and then days go by and you watch a little of it...then you stop for one reason or other...then in a few weeks/months you find that still haven't watched it all and, in fact, there is a stack of DVDs that you have started but never finished?

I currently have about 4 DVDs like that...just can't seem to get them finished!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2005, 08:36:45 PM »

Here's a thought....jump-start your weekend and get that dreaded/hated/spiteful kitchen floor mopped today, too!

:D

No way. I have a system of a room each day, and if I go off it, cleaning becomes even more of a chore than it already is because it eats up too much time all at once. One room a day - from five to thirty minutes depending on the size of the room - keeps it less like work and makes it just another part of my daily routine.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2005, 08:37:49 PM »

...and a page 11 dance!

Matt H.

« Reply #303 on: August 31, 2005, 08:41:37 PM »

Which poses the question:  Just how messy can one person be that cleaning is required weekly?

;)

An easy trap to fall into for me because if I wait and not do it by the schedule I have, I start putting it off more and more and more, and I end up like I did when I was working which was I almost NEVER did more than a quick once over and was ashamed to ever have anyone drop by.

In my defense, however, I have a very old house which seems to breathe dust, and there is also a condo construction site right across the side street which causes much more dirt and dust to come filtering my way.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2005, 08:47:55 PM »

Good Evening!

Hmm... Pizza!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #305 on: August 31, 2005, 08:51:03 PM »

I finished DARLING, and I have to say the transfer continued to look very sharp and the image was artifact free as well. Why oh why would MGM not have gone that extra measure to make this an enhanced transfer. They had such a GREAT element to work with. Just plain stupid!

Matt H.

« Reply #306 on: August 31, 2005, 08:53:43 PM »

Then, I put in LITTLE MISS BROADWAY which looked much better than I was expecting. I only got 7 or 8 minutes into it before VERONICA MARS came on, so I'll finish it tomorrow, but so far, so good.

I would rather Fox have saved the money on the enclosed charm bracelets and produced some documentaries or something for these films instead of those trinkets.

Matt H.

« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2005, 08:56:28 PM »

VERONICA MARS was less a mystery series tonight (though, of course, more clues were spilled about the BIG season-long mystery she's been trying to solve), so I didn't like it as much as previous episodes. Still, she's a plucky kid that I would love to have had on my side when I was in high school.

There was finally a gay student shown on the show tonight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2005, 09:00:54 PM »

I always check out transfers as soon as I get a DVD.  But I rarely start watching then stop - the only time I watch in spurts is in the bedroom before sleep.  I've been watching The Magic Sword of Bert I. Gordon in ten minute increments - the best way to see it.

Matt H.

« Reply #309 on: August 31, 2005, 09:08:30 PM »

BK, do you remember if the sound on THE STING was just mono or a stereo/surround/5.1 new soundtrack? THanks.

Matt H.

« Reply #310 on: August 31, 2005, 09:08:55 PM »

I'm talking about the new DVD of THE STING, of course.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #311 on: August 31, 2005, 09:15:54 PM »

Tried something different for dinner tonight.  I roasted a chicken.

I didn't do much that was all that special, really.  I stuffed a quartered lemon in the cavity, seasoned the bird inside and out, set it in my cast iron skillet on top of a bed of celery and onions, and let it roast for maybe fifty/fifty-five minutes at 450 degrees.  The meat was fall-off-the-bone tender and juicy.

And there's lots of leftovers for der B to enjoy.

Good thing we bought two birds at the same time; they were on sale at 70 cents per pound.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #312 on: August 31, 2005, 09:19:13 PM »

DR TCB, that is a striking picture for your avatar. I really like it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #313 on: August 31, 2005, 09:20:52 PM »

DR FJL, Jane et al...

I will be taking a final headcount for the food and walking tour in a week or so.

Right now, the plan is to start on the Lower East Side (LES) at The Donut Plant, and end a couple of hours on the Upper West Side (UWS), most likely at Artie's.

My preliminary plan calls for stops in six neighborhoods/areas.  I have one or two places in each area picked out for "sampling", and there will be about an hour in each area to explore and shop.

The day will start around 8:00 or 9:00, and we'll be sitting down to dinner around 6:30 or 7:00.

I'll be doing a few test runs of the route over the next couple of weeks.  And I'll be taking notes on where the public bathrooms are along the way.  :)

Yes, going walking from the LES to the UWS may seem like a lot of ground to cover - literally - but spread over the span of at least six hours, it should be very manageable.  And there should be time to freshen up a bit once we're back in midtown.  Just remember to wear your comfortable shoes and bring your umbrella.  -So, it won't rain.

*And as I hinted to DR Jane in an e-mail, there may even be a special guest or two along the way.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #314 on: August 31, 2005, 09:24:22 PM »

Tried something different for dinner tonight.  I roasted a chicken.

I didn't do much that was all that special, really.  I stuffed a quartered lemon in the cavity, seasoned the bird inside and out, set it in my cast iron skillet on top of a bed of celery and onions, and let it roast for maybe fifty/fifty-five minutes at 450 degrees.  The meat was fall-off-the-bone tender and juicy.

And there's lots of leftovers for der B to enjoy.

Good thing we bought two birds at the same time; they were on sale at 70 cents per pound.

A simple and simply roasted chicken is always amazingly satisfying.  For your next venture, try putting a few strips of bacon across the breast, and maybe even rub some compound butter of your own making under the skin.  -That bacon gets damn tasty!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #315 on: August 31, 2005, 09:24:33 PM »

Good evening!  I've just delivered Charlotte safely to her home and I'm reporting in on TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA, which is the first revival of a show I"ve enjoyed almost as much as the original production,  which I saw in March, 1972, I believe.  I found the cast very good, and I liked Rosario Dawson a lot more than some of the reviewers did.   My friend Don Stephenson was wonderful in "Thurio's Samba" and Oscar Isaac sounded a lot like Raul Julia but held better pitch in his singing.  Norm Lewis was great as Valentine, and John Cariani, whom I love as Beck on LAW AND ORDER, was quite a hoot.  I want to go back!

It was Charlotte's first Delacorte Theatre show, and the elements did not fail us:  during the title song, while Julia and Lucetta were changing into men's clothing, the rain began.  The show stopped for a mopping and drying of the stage floor.  The rains began again, and the band kept ad libbing Beatles songs.  The band was really great and the conductor, the beautiful Kimberly Grigsby, played keyboards and boogied sinuously.  She's quite lovely and looked radiant in her 70s skirt.  After about 30 minutes of the band ad libbing, the rain stopped.  The stage was once again mopped and dried, the audience was told the cast wouold be marking some of the dancing, and the show resumed after about a 45-60 minute delay.  The rest of the two acts flew by, and the audience had a great time.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #316 on: August 31, 2005, 09:27:49 PM »

...And then there's the whole "Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic" variation... Sooo good, and the garlic sweetens up as it roasts in the oven with the chicken.  Just be sure to have lots of slices of crusty french bread on which to spread all that roasted garlic goodness.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #317 on: August 31, 2005, 09:29:50 PM »

I was always sorry I didn't take the opportunity to see the show during its original run. Glad to hear this new version does the material proud.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #318 on: August 31, 2005, 09:30:36 PM »

Meanwhile, at work, I'm looking forward to this weekend more and more.  IT'S THE END OF THE SUMMER SEASON!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the learning experience of the past three months, but it can get intense after a certain point.  Lately, I've been getting just one day off per week.  Today, in the middle of my shift, I was asked if I "could" stay on for a couple of extra hours, up from six to eight (eight and a half if you count the manditory added lunch break) (I of course said "sure," and handed der Brucer the shopping list when he showed up to pick me up at the previously understood end of my shift; thus he picked out the birds, and did a good job of it, too).

I'm looking forward to a bit less pressure, to having maybe two days off during the week, possibly even back-to-back.

The really good news is that I've been told by more than a couple of co-workers how nice I am, and that they're glad I'm part of the team now.  When I told der B about this, he just chortled in a suspicious manner, like he knows something they don't.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #319 on: August 31, 2005, 09:31:03 PM »

And I didn't think the TWO GENTLEMEN cast album was EVER going to be released on CD. Finally we got it, but it took seemingly forever.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #320 on: August 31, 2005, 09:34:38 PM »

A simple and simply roasted chicken is always amazingly satisfying.  For your next venture, try putting a few strips of bacon across the breast, and maybe even rub some compound butter of your own making under the skin.  -That bacon gets damn tasty!
Bacon acrost the breast...that's either "barding" or very kinky!

As for slipping something under the skin, James Peterson has a recipe where he stuffs the breast with spinach and ricotta!  (He also butterflies the bird in this version, something Julia Child and someone known as AB have also done.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #321 on: August 31, 2005, 09:35:28 PM »

Jrand 1 1/2.  ;D

I am on the left - I never had MORE hair.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #322 on: August 31, 2005, 09:37:06 PM »

DRMBARNUM - Nancy Sinatra AND Chad Everett!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #323 on: August 31, 2005, 09:37:36 PM »

...And then there's the whole "Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic" variation... Sooo good, and the garlic sweetens up as it roasts in the oven with the chicken.  Just be sure to have lots of slices of crusty french bread on which to spread all that roasted garlic goodness.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #324 on: August 31, 2005, 09:38:19 PM »

Jrand17 -   ;D

I think I used this as my avatar for about 24 hours.  8)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #325 on: August 31, 2005, 09:38:40 PM »

Bacon acrost the breast...that's either "barding" or very kinky!

As for slipping something under the skin, James Peterson has a recipe where he stuffs the breast with spinach and ricotta!  (He also butterflies the bird in this version, something Julia Child and someone known as AB have also done.)

A spatchcocked bird can be quite delicious too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #326 on: August 31, 2005, 09:41:03 PM »

Maybe for April Fool's Day next year, we can all change our avatars for a day - make them as silly or as wishful thinking as could be. Might be fun.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #327 on: August 31, 2005, 09:43:26 PM »

Maybe for April Fool's Day next year, we can all change our avatars for a day - make them as silly or as wishful thinking as could be. Might be fun.

Well, funny you should say that...

A new month has already begun here on the East Coast... So, new month, new avatar...  Well, at least back to an oldie but a goodie.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:43:49 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #328 on: August 31, 2005, 09:45:08 PM »

I've been thinking about shaving off the goatee. If and when I do, I'll put on a new avatar to reflect the change.

Matt H.

« Reply #329 on: August 31, 2005, 09:46:11 PM »

And now as the hour inches closer to 1 a.m., I am heading for bed.

Good night, all.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up