Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH AND LOW  (Read 70096 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:HIGH AND LOW
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2005, 10:52:39 AM »

I have nothing to say, but to avoid any unnecessary slappage, I'm here posting.

OK, that's all I have for you today. I'm going to retire to my futon with a Cherry Coke now.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2005, 11:05:37 AM »

Lovely pictures, DRPANNI.  I am thinking Abie must be imagining it took one BIG dog to do that!

DR CP - do you get to see a screening of your HERCULES mini series before it is broadcast?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2005, 11:06:51 AM »

Let's see if this works as the link for the Lost Horizon: The Musical's trailer.

http://videodetective.com/home.asp?PublishedID=480476
OK, I've watched it.

As Peter Finch would later yell, "I'm mad as HELL, and I'm NOT GOING TO SING ABOUT IT ANY MORE!!!!!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2005, 11:10:29 AM »

JRand-that little red x is why I stopped doing page dances, got tired of the dance turning into an x.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2005, 11:26:52 AM »

Jan. 4: Residents survey a downtown street after 17 inches of snow fell in Flagstaff, Ariz

Gee, I thought it was another ad for Meet the Flockers.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2005, 11:29:58 AM »

LOL.....deleted my RED X dance.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2005, 11:30:58 AM »

..and then we laughed some more!

I think someone should come up with a new dance craze called the Cameltoe Limbo...Don't ask me to describe it!  DansssseSsssalome!
New ad campaign:

"I did the Cameltoe Limbo in my Maidenform Bra!"

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2005, 11:32:35 AM »

Der B and I have some travelling to do later.  I'm taking the Kimmel-produced Burt Bacharach Album along, just in case...

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2005, 12:09:54 PM »

Just got back from BB Bargoon's - an upscalish decorating/fabric store (with bargoon prices). While I waited on line, a little boy was screaming, "I want cowboys! I want cowboys!" His mother ignored him and approached the cashier with a long length of bedspread fabric. The kid kept bawling. Then the cashier told the mom, nicely, that she couldn't sell her the material since her son obviously didn't want it and they had nothing in the store with a cowboy motif.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 12:10:21 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2005, 12:30:39 PM »

Too bad for the cashier if the bedspread was for the boy's sister's bed!

:o

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2005, 12:47:26 PM »

TOTD: They Don't Give Medals to Yesterday's Heroes
           The Green Grass Starts To Grow
           Odds and Ends
            Paper Mache
            Where There's a Heartache
            Knowing Wehn To Leave
            Whoever You Are

I don't really like any of the Bayer Sager or Costello lyrics much - I do not like "They're Playing Our Song" - the musical nor the songs from it. (Don't like CBS as a lyric writer at all).  I like Costello's lyrics but he is a difficult voice to lisen to for long.

I Like all the Dionne Warwick recordings and not surpisingly, my favourite Cd of Bacharach/David songs is the "Songbook" by Dusty Springfield.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:19:16 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2005, 12:49:57 PM »

Well folks, tonight I am going into Indy to celebrate my cousins birthday since I have not seen her since her last birthday. (Don't ask me how we managed this especially when we only lived two miles away from each other this summer.) We are going to go to Giorgio's Pizza downtown which I've heard good things about, and then we are going to go see The Rocky Horror Picture Show. They actualy have a digital transfer from what I've heard. I know that used to be rare, but not sure if it is anymore. I'll let everyone know what I think though I am decidedly amateur at things like these compared to the rest of you. :)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2005, 12:51:53 PM »

The Green Grass Starts To Grow

I don't really like any of the Bayer Sager or Costello lyrics much - I do not like "They're Playing Our Song" - the musical nor the songs from it.

There's a nice version of "Green Grass" on the latest Percy Faith reissue, I Think I Love You.

Don't know if you meant to imply this, but Playing our Song is Hamlisch, not Bacharach.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2005, 12:54:12 PM »

DR JOEY you must be going to the Hollywood Bar & Film Works!  Have fun - it is a wild experience....it's kind of a dinner theatre-movie experience!

I just watched THE LETTER again today, and I think I was a bit rough on Bette Davis' performance earlier this week.  Watching it again....it is one of her best....remarkable.  The DVD is released this week with an Alternate Ending!  Some sites say that Jeanne Eagels 1929 version is also included on the disk, but other sites say NOTHING about it.

So - if anyone gets it - let us know right away!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2005, 12:54:13 PM »

I'm reading the notes as I put all the Overtures (not preludes!!) from my entire Cast Recording collection on my iPod... I'm on "C".  However, I was surprised that "Allegro" didn't have an Overture.  Is there one and it didn't get recorded?

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2005, 01:07:17 PM »

No one, and I mean no one, should be allowed to watch the musical LOST HORIZON on a full stomach!

.. but TCB ~ it's so much fun to watch the faces of 'unsuspecting' visitors at the occasional dinner party ... (and sometimes a sure way of getting them to leave early ....!)  :)
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

ozderek

« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2005, 01:10:37 PM »

I just notice the AIDS activist and playwright Larry Krammer (The Normal Heart) wrote the screenplay for Lost Horizon.

It was 1973 - I hope Larry has put all that behind him ....!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2005, 01:10:46 PM »

Finished SOYLENT GREEN this afternoon and then started watching more STAR TREK episodes.

SOYLENT's interiors look as sharp and clear as can be, but the outside street scenes with all the dust and dirt give the DVD encoding major trouble. Other than that and mono sound, you wouldn't guess this movie is over 30 years old (well, maybe the way the folks wear their hair gives it away).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:13:29 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François de Paris

« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2005, 01:10:57 PM »

Surmounting all obstacles, MacMan arrives at Chez Kimmel to install wireless set-up:

That would be funny if that picture were not referring to some recent disaster to which some people do not know how to react.

Besides, as DR Jay recently stated....this is supposed to be a classy site, right?

(I'm giving one more element to the DR's phobia of the French!)  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:16:20 PM by François de Paris »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2005, 01:16:12 PM »

I don't really like any of the Bayer Sager or Costello lyrics much - I do not like "They're Playing Our Song" - the musical nor the songs from it.

Oh, boy, do we ever come to a parting of the ways there. I found the show great fun, and I love the score. Thanks to Guy Haines' wonderful rendition of "Fallin'," it gave me the idea to start using this at auditions. I like it because you seldom hear anyone else ever using it or any of the SONG songs at auditions.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2005, 01:17:45 PM »

There's a nice version of "Green Grass" on the latest Percy Faith reissue, I Think I Love You.

Don't know if you meant to imply this, but Playing our Song is Hamlisch, not Bacharach.
Early for me - wasn't it about Bacharach's romance or something. Was meant to be writing how much I do not like CBS lyrics. Now Should I go back = that is the question.

Did you know that Dusty's "Look Of Love" was only released as a "B" side.  I still prefer it but that's horse racing.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2005, 01:18:09 PM »

Did you notice elmore left without saying hello?  I'm on my way to the Madre of Sierra and will return shortly.  Hopefully some denizens will have arrived by then and hopefully someone will have answered my Mac question by then.

I did?  It wasn't intentional!  I called in sick today from B&N:  headache, upset stomach, all probable side effects of the cold I'm battling, so I slept very late, and I've just been puttering around the apartment.  It took me forever to catch up on last night's posts:  we were on page 12 when I turned off the computer last night and when I dragged my body out of bed around 1:30 this afternoon, I had a heap to posts (sounds like a cereal) to peruse.

Well, which is worse:  Brad and Jennifer, Jen and Ben, Tom and Penelope?  I find it so hard to differentiate show biz romances and publicized nonsense to either protect images or to validate stars' fantasies and egos.

Elvis at 70, like Marilyn at 70, is too scary to contemplate.

Bacharach and David:

I didn't know "Window Wishin'" until I scored it for BK, and it's one of my faves now
ALFIE
DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE?
MESSAGE TO MICHAEL
About 90% of the PROMISES, PROMISES score
TICK TOCK GOES THE CLOCK
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ozderek

« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2005, 01:19:38 PM »

I do not like "They're Playing Our Song" - the musical nor the songs from it.

Shame Tomofoz - Shame !!!!!  

François de Paris

« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2005, 01:20:26 PM »

JRand-that little red x is why I stopped doing page dances, got tired of the dance turning into an x.

But.... "doing the x" is quite a dance too!

Ok! ... a little x rated, but fun! ;)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2005, 01:20:45 PM »

Oh, boy, do we ever come to a parting of the ways there. I found the show great fun, and I love the score. Thanks to Guy Haines' wonderful rendition of "Fallin'," it gave me the idea to start using this at auditions. I like it because you seldom hear anyone else ever using it or any of the SONG songs at auditions.

Hooboy, DR Matt, I can't remember where you live, but definitely don't come to Portland with that song!  I have played that song countless times in auditions here.  Maybe it's a NW thing!

(Still doesn't come close to the auditions I had probably 20 or so years ago where every single one of the sopranos, and I mean every single one, auditioned with Memory, LOL).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

François de Paris

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2005, 01:23:58 PM »

Hummm...

Brad is..... available???

He needs to get rid of all those tattoos!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:35:34 PM by François de Paris »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2005, 01:25:39 PM »

I'm reading the notes as I put all the Overtures (not preludes!!) from my entire Cast Recording collection on my iPod... I'm on "C".  However, I was surprised that "Allegro" didn't have an Overture.  Is there one and it didn't get recorded?

DRMatthew, yes, there was/is an overture to ALLEGRO.  John Mauceri and the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra recorded it on RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN: OPENING NIGHT, a collection of Overtures to all the shows.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2005, 01:28:16 PM »

Hummm...

Brad is..... available???

He needs to get rid of all those tattos!

DRFrancois, where have you been?

François de Paris

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2005, 01:30:12 PM »

Shame Tomofoz - Shame !!!!!  

Tom does not know shame!
He's above shame!
that's why we like him here! ;) :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2005, 01:32:46 PM »

Your question is answered Elmore!!!
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up