Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: QUE SERA SERA, WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE  (Read 5609 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: QUE SERA SERA, WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2020, 10:00:38 AM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2020, 10:15:56 AM »

My oral history session was a lot of fun.  I hope it turns out well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2020, 10:22:01 AM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings. 

As if 2020 hadn’t already been bad enough, I learned this morning that my friend Rebecca’s husband died on Friday.  He had broken the same hip twice since August 6 and undergone 2 surgeries while battling Parkinson’s and other health issues.  She wasn’t in any shape to share details on the phone this morning, but I did pick up that they were at a hospital (rather than the rehab where he’d been) and that their minister was with them.  He had just turned 74 on Tuesday.

RIP, James.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2020, 10:22:16 AM »

Today it is raining and colder.  The last few days have been beautiful.

We’re under drought restrictions. Send that rain my way.

Sorry.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2020, 10:23:41 AM »

Oh Ginny, that is very sad news.  My sympathy to your friend Rebecca and all those who loved her husband.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2020, 10:26:17 AM »

It has been many years since since my last viewing of  The Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2020, 10:28:14 AM »

Thank you, DR Jane.  I’m on my way to the florist to have something sent to her.  Then we’re picking up groceries and coming home to wait out Election Day.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2020, 10:43:05 AM »

So sorry for your loss, Ginny.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »

I just reviewed the liner notes in the 1995 Amahl and the Night Visitors DVD, and am reminded that the 1964 version was hated by Menotti, which I suppose is the main reason it's never been released. I must learn more about that.

Here ya go! I met Kurt Yaghjian in 1973.  He was a very nice man who is in the film Jesus Christ Superstar. His father was a Cincinnati Symphony conductor with Max Rudolf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPAjNu4WW0I

Ah, thank you, sir! Much appreciated!

Also, to my horror, I saw that I'd typed 1995 instead of 1955 in that previous post, and I've now corrected the original for posterity. Future historians will thank me for being diligent.

ChasSmith

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »

Oh man, that is rough, DR Ginny. Very sorry to hear it. My condolences to you and your friend.

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »

What a day!  Already!

I decided I wanted to do my weekly shopping, but I forgot that this is also a day that other OLD PEOPLE get their Social Security $$$.

So it was traffic and crowds.....lots of folks in the driving carts blocking the aisles, lots of folks standing in the aisles texting and talking on their phones......etc etc etc.

DR Jrand70, I'm just curious:  Do your Social Security payments arrive on the same or on different days each month? Mine are different, ranging from the 15th to 21st, and there was a note to that effect when I first signed up to begin taking it. I can certainly see staggering the millions of recipients, but I have no idea why it would constantly vary for each individual. But there it is. I log onto the website somewhere around the end of the month to see what that month's date is going to be.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2020, 10:54:03 AM »

Thank you, DR Jane.  I’m on my way to the florist to have something sent to her.  Then we’re picking up groceries and coming home to wait out Election Day.

I like that you can go to the shop and choose the flowers in person.  I haven't done that since we left Ashland.

ChasSmith

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2020, 10:56:13 AM »

Vodka (or the poison of one's choice) definitely sounds like the way to go tonight. 

(I only ever drink it in Bloody Marys, myself. James Bond be damned, my Martinis are gin, thank you very much.)

ChasSmith

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2020, 10:57:55 AM »

I began looking online for pill cutters last year when we had to break large ones up for Poe's thyroid prescription. As it happened, Nathan, who had once had a job as am assistant in a medical office, looked at them and said he could break them just fine by hand...and he was right. Of course, being able to do that depends on the size and makeup of the pill itself.

I did wonder how well the cutters are able to split the pill without splintering it.

I can't recal a pill ever splintering.  Some pills are easy to break by hand while others need the pill cutter.

Splintering or crumbling -- that's what my poor attempts resulted in when trying to do it (very carefully) with a knife. I'm sure the actual pill cutters work much better.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2020, 11:09:59 AM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2020, 11:13:19 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - seven hours of sleep.  Up at ten and had to run to the mail place to retrieve two packages, one of which contained perishables.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2020, 11:14:23 AM »

Now I'm back and there are no two ways about it.  I'm tempted to eat one of the perishables today, but that means I'd have to toss out the ground beef, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, I suppose.  We shall see.

ChasSmith

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2020, 11:17:07 AM »

Is it time for another order from Katz's? Or is that too risky while watching the calories. I know *I* wouldn't have the requisite self-control.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2020, 11:23:43 AM »

Got an e-mail from someone I've had no contact with since 2006 when we did the original staged reading of the Brain.  I need a favor, write me back ASAP.  Of course I didn't respond but I copied the message and put it into Google and of course it's a scam.  If you respond, you're asked to buy gift cards for the person.  Of course, the scammer has no way of knowing that I would never get an e-mail like this consisting of one line from someone I haven't heard from in fourteen years.

KevinH

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2020, 11:27:52 AM »

Good afternoon!

KevinH

« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, DR Ginny.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »

What a day!  Already!

I decided I wanted to do my weekly shopping, but I forgot that this is also a day that other OLD PEOPLE get their Social Security $$$.

So it was traffic and crowds.....lots of folks in the driving carts blocking the aisles, lots of folks standing in the aisles texting and talking on their phones......etc etc etc.

DR Jrand70, I'm just curious:  Do your Social Security payments arrive on the same or on different days each month? Mine are different, ranging from the 15th to 21st, and there was a note to that effect when I first signed up to begin taking it. I can certainly see staggering the millions of recipients, but I have no idea why it would constantly vary for each individual. But there it is. I log onto the website somewhere around the end of the month to see what that month's date is going to be.

Social Security payments are based on your birthday. Read the bottom of the calendar:
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031-2020.pdf
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2020, 11:37:05 AM »

DR Ginny, I'm sorry to hear of your friend Rebecca's  husband's death.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »

Here's a better copy of Pied Piper, obviously taken from a 16mm Tech print and in sync - the other one is out of sync. https://youtu.be/mVJSnwyP2Pc

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2020, 11:38:07 AM »

I like this:

Laura

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »

I'm so sorry for your bad news, Ginny.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

ChasSmith

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »

Here's a better copy of Pied Piper, obviously taken from a 16mm Tech print and in sync - the other one is out of sync. https://youtu.be/mVJSnwyP2Pc

Excellent, thanks.

ChasSmith

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »

What a day!  Already!

Social Security payments are based on your birthday. Read the bottom of the calendar:
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031-2020.pdf

Third Wednesday of the month for me. That explains the whole thing. I hadn't seen that before. Thank you, sir!

Jane

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »

Got an e-mail from someone I've had no contact with since 2006 when we did the original staged reading of the Brain.  I need a favor, write me back ASAP.  Of course I didn't respond but I copied the message and put it into Google and of course it's a scam.  If you respond, you're asked to buy gift cards for the person.  Of course, the scammer has no way of knowing that I would never get an e-mail like this consisting of one line from someone I haven't heard from in fourteen years.

If you reply to confirm it is forwarded to a different account to fool you into thinking you are conversing with your friend.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »

Bruce & Jeanne did you see this :(

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up