Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIED FOODS  (Read 25241 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:FRIED FOODS
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2004, 10:53:11 AM »

I'm having a wierd day at work.  Everyone keeps coming into my office with issues or problems that they can easily handle themselves.  It's at the point where the next person who asks me somthing is either going to get a Joan Crawford bitch slapping or a John Wayne powerhouse that propels them down the length of the saloon bar.  The problem with the latter is the lack of a saloon bar here in our department, an indication of the deplorable conditions under which I'm forced to deal with every day.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2004, 10:59:03 AM »

I love tempura!

And I could live off of french fries.

But my pants are getting tight again, so diet and exercise for me! (and no more fried foods :))

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2004, 10:59:23 AM »

DR Dan (the Man): The Joan Crawford "bitch-slap" sounds like the ticket to me!

Either that, or waving a wire hanger in the air when someone looks as if he is about to enter your office.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 11:01:01 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2004, 11:00:18 AM »

You could also put a sign on your door:

"Welcome to Mommie Dearest Day Care!"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2004, 11:02:36 AM »

The Joan Crawford Bitch Slap Dance

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2004, 11:08:01 AM »

I still have never eaten fried chicken.

But that totally makes me think of DR Jason.  Does anyone know where he is?  He had started posting so often, and then poof he was gone again. :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2004, 11:09:16 AM »

That Joan, she was a caution....and a cham-peen Charleston dancer!

DtM you don't have a bar where you work?  I think there is a law against that.

And now my question is:  What, MR BK, were you doing in Lebanon, Ohio?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2004, 11:17:07 AM »

Wow, it has been so long since I've had fried clams.  But OMG do I love those.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2004, 11:25:10 AM »

I was touring in a show in 1966, I believe (maybe it was early '67) with two other people.  We played all over the US and were driving from Cincinatti to Cleveland.  We stopped in Lebanon for some reason.  The Golden Lamb is a very famous hotel - presidents stayed there and they've kept the rooms kind of the way they were, as a museum.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2004, 11:31:50 AM »

I still have never eaten fried chicken.

But that totally makes me think of DR Jason.  Does anyone know where he is?  He had started posting so often, and then poof he was gone again. :(

I remember he was upset about being forced to take an unpaid vacation from MTI, but that wasn't supposed to happen until the GOP Convention.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2004, 11:34:09 AM »

Any other BB watchers waiting for tonight's show when Natalie is revealed. Should be funny.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2004, 11:35:39 AM »

...or, Jason could be making time with the dude he met through Craiglest.com, in which case, more power to him!
-- Anaïs Nin

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2004, 11:53:18 AM »

The Blue Bayou restaurant at Disneyland makes the BEST Monte Cristo Sandwhich ever.  Basically, a ham and cheese sandwhich dipped in batter and deep fried, sprinkled with powdered sugar. and served with some sort of jam.  It's to die for.  I love Apple Fritters, too, and good fries.  But the Monte Cristo takes the cake.  Also, I'd love to try a Deep Fried Twinkie.  You can get them at  County Fairs and places like Las Vegas.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2004, 11:55:50 AM »

Hello, all!  I'm sorry I was E&T yesterday I had a really bad health day, back to the doctor for a new perscription and most of the day in bed.  He recommended a surgeon to lance this abscess and when I called to schedule an appointment, I was told the surgeon was no longer taking HIP referrals!  So, today I'm waiting for a new referral.  It looks like I missed a lively time, so I'll have to check out the posts.

But enough of my health, I'd rather talk about Bruce's show or fried foods:
Fried shrimp
Fried chicken
Fried oysters
Fried potatoes
Fried onion rings
Fried chicken livers
Doughnuts

I meant to welcome Bruce's lighting person, but I've forgotten his name!  Welcome anyway.  The folk here are wonderful.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2004, 11:56:27 AM »

Now I am hungry again.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2004, 11:57:57 AM »

oh, okay....as good a reason to be in Ohio as any, I guess.  At least you got some good fried chicken.

Another treat now at county fairs are fried Snickers Bars.

Does anyone know what is in a drink called Blood in the Snow?  It was ordered by a character in a movie from 1948, and I am baffled.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »

Any other BB watchers waiting for tonight's show when Natalie is revealed. Should be funny.

You know I am looking forward to that.....!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2004, 12:12:40 PM »

Panni every time now I shove pills down Echo I think of you and your experience with the barrette.

You could make a sitcom of your writing days, shades of Dick Van Dyke if Laura were also on the staff. :)

Ben

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2004, 12:13:03 PM »

Second closing announcement from Playbill On-Line

Frozen is out of ice as of August 22nd.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/87753.html

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2004, 12:14:10 PM »

DtM you don't have a bar where you work?  I think there is a law against that.

There Oughta Be A Law!

-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2004, 12:18:10 PM »

WEL, nice story.  Enjoy your renewed friendship. :)

And where are Maya and Swishy Sara?

DearReaderLaura, love the pictures.  Did you see the wildflowers I posted on Saturday?  You are the one who inspired me to take my camera.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2004, 12:21:24 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~^~^~^~^  VIBES O'HEALTH FOR DR Elmore ^~^~^~^~[/move]

I was told the surgeon was no longer taking HIP referrals!

That jive doctor is so squares-ville, man!  You gotta find a doc who's a cool cat who takes hip referrals! Ya dig where I'm commin' from, Daddy-Oh?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 12:28:55 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2004, 12:21:24 PM »

Good Morning!

Speaking of fried... I was a bit fried after rehearsal last night.  Which was/is a good thing.  I still have some of my own kinks to work out, but we're in great shape, and everything is progressing nicely as BK has been stating.

-And I allowed myself to sleep in today too!  Didn't get out of bed until 10:45 PDT!  It felt great to sleep in, and I can tell my body appreciated the full night's rest.

As for fried foods... Well, most of them have already been listed, but it couldn't hurt to list them again:

Appetizers and snacks: calamari, mozzarella sticks, jalapeno poppers, french fries, onion rings, zuchinni sticks, sweet potato fries, suppli (those Italian balls of rissotto and cheese), tidbit (this is found on some Thai and Chinese menus under various names - it's traditionally made by scraping off the layer of "stuff" that left on the bottom of the rice cooker after a batch of rice has been made - it's fried, and it puffs up - the original rice cake! - It's can be served with both savory and sweet dipping sauces), potato chips (fresh, warm ones are soooo good!), yucca (with some good salsa verde), okra (I like both deep-fried and cast-iron skillet fried versions), hush puppies (there's a place in Richmond that "coats" artichoke hearts and bits of fontina cheese in hush puppy batter - hmmm...), corn fritters (served with either black bean chili and/or pineapple salsa - another Richmond restaurant favorite)

Main dish foods: Monte Cristo sandwiches, chicken livers, chicken (I usually prefer a batter coating, but I've also had some VERY good "just dipped in flour" fried chicken too), eggrolls (especially the Filipino "lumpia" - much thinner wrapper, more meat filling than wrapper), tacos (yes, I know, it's only the shells), taquitos, shrimp, oysters, "fish and chips", tempura, turkey (the skin usually comes out black and inedible, but the meat is soo tender and not greasy if it's done properly)

Desserts and indulgences: donuts, apple fritters, blueberry fritters, twinkies, oreos, Snickers bars, Mars bars, churros, funnel cakes, "fried" ice cream, and the Citronelle restaurants in DC and Baltimore make a "Hot Chocolate Truffle" for dessert - they basically take some very good, homemade/kitchenmade chocolate truffles, coat them lightly in flour and sugar, chill them, and then give them a brief dip in some hot oil - the coating basically caramelizes around the center... when you pop them in your mouth, you get that wonderful crispy/crunchy bite from the coating, then that warm, melted chocolate, followed by just a bit of some still "solid" chocolate center.  Yummy, indeed!! - One of those "Chefs of..." series on PBS showed the recipe once.)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2004, 12:22:24 PM »

Tofu fried in olive oil-a rather healthy fried food
French fried sweet potatoes
French fries
Pakoras
Falafil, another rather healthy fried food
Onions rings
Fried mashed potato patties topped with golden syrup
Tempura vegetables
Spring rolls

Joey I haven’t had fried mozzarella sticks in years.  Sounds good
RLP fried Buffalo mozzarella sticks in Italy, even better. :D

Brandon, you said you turned veggie- :)  How come you didn’t mention my first choice?

I needed Michael Shayne to remind me of potato latkes.  :-[

Bruce when was the last time you went to the Santa Monica Pier?  I mean fifteen years without a corn dog when the best ones, along with the best lemonade, are right there.  I use to love cheese on a stick, once I gave up the hotdogs.  Now they seem too rich.  I do have frozen soy dogs on a stick. Not the same but they satisfy a craving.

Stuart I forgot about dessert-Apple fritters from Stan’s donuts in Westwood. :-*

Matthew, Keith use to love the Monte Cristo sandwich at the Blue Bayou.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2004, 12:28:30 PM »

OH, and if I may... As for the whereabouts of DR Jason...

Some congratulations are in order, actually.  He ended up starting his new position at MTI as a Licensing Agent (I think) about two weeks ago - it just sort of happened (finally).  A full-fledged, full-time position - with benefits!  Consequently, he will now be getting paid for the week that MTI will be closing down for the RNC.  So, he's basically in training and on the job right now.  And his new position also limits his personal internet access while at work.  Busy boy.  And a tired one.  I'm sure he'll resurface here on HHW once he's acclimated to his new schedule.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2004, 12:32:56 PM »

Thanks for the good news on Jason. :D

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2004, 12:37:16 PM »

Well, good for DR Jason!  Mazel Tov, when you read this!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2004, 12:40:47 PM »

Tofu fried in olive oil-a rather healthy fried food
Pakoras
Falafil, another rather healthy fried food

DR Jane, how did I forget these?  I love falafel!

(I also have to admit that I was a little embarassed to mention fried tofu....I am not vegetarian, by any stretch, but when we lived on Roosevelt Island, there was a take out Chinese place that did Sesame Tofu, along the same lines as Sesame Chicken, by frying nuggets of tofu, and dousing them with the same sauce.  And it was delicious!)

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2004, 12:44:20 PM »

Quote from: Jennifer on Today at 11:34:09am

You know I am looking forward to that.....!

I cannot wait.  Although apparently Girl Power is thinking of turning on Adria, since they think she may have betrayed them (and voted out marvin).  Although now they are thinking she stayed with them and voted out scott.

But she won't tell then who she voted for.

I'm wondering if natalie will be guaranteed safe this week. Otherwise I wonder if the guys (if they win HOH) will put her and A up.  Should be a fun show.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2004, 12:44:51 PM »

Back from lunch....and I had absolutely nothing fried:

Spicy meatloaf, rosemaried roast potatoes and a spinach salad.

Yum.

I ate at the Oakland Art Museum (two blocks from my office building).  We got there before the docents (50, or so, blue-haired or balding senior citizens -- no offense implied for anyone here blue-haired or balding...or "senior"), so we breezed through the line and had leisurely lunch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up