Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIED FOODS  (Read 25143 times)

Jennifer

Re:FRIED FOODS
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2004, 12:48:30 PM »

And what about Krispy Kreme!

Oh and I love mozzarella sticks.

And congrats to DR Jason.  Tell him to come post again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2004, 12:52:42 PM »

Yes, where ARE Swishy Sarah and Swishy Maya?  They come, they go, like Grand Hotel.  Swishy has actually IMd me a few times - she's been very busy with her summer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2004, 12:54:53 PM »

OK... Now that I've caught up on a week's worth of e-mails, business and other various and sundried stuff, it's time for me to get the rest of my day in gear... Back after rehearsal.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2004, 12:56:40 PM »

Yes, Maya and Lulu and Jason and LC and SwishySara and Musicguy and Hapgood and Robin and on and on....Tarnation is so crowded it is spilling out into Sam Hill!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 12:57:14 PM by MBarnum »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2004, 01:01:49 PM »

Yes, Maya and Lulu and Jason and LC and SwishySara and Musicguy and Hapgood and Robin and on and on....Tarnation is so crowded it is spilling out into Sam Hill!

Their story goes on, and on, and on, aaaaand on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2004, 01:15:03 PM »

Geez even Sydney Carton found time to write home now and then.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2004, 01:17:25 PM »

Their story goes on, and on, and on, aaaaand on!

Can I state how odd it is to come upon this to read as Miss Liz Callaway is singing it into my ears?  What a strange coincidence!

But she won't tell then who she voted for.

Perhaps that is because she doesn't know who she voted for!  (In other words, I don't know if all the switches take place in order for A to be the only one of the two of them who votes....)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »

Yes, where in tarnation IS Robin?  They come, they go, like Grand Hotel.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2004, 01:24:17 PM »

People come, people go. people post quotes.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2004, 01:26:39 PM »

I never met Sydney Carton, but I did know his brother Milk.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2004, 01:28:07 PM »

You are too funny, DR RLP.   ;D ROFL

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2004, 01:30:49 PM »

I shall be back after rehearsal.  Keep the home fries burning.  And frying.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2004, 01:31:09 PM »

(I also have to admit that I was a little embarassed to mention fried tofu....I am not vegetarian, by any stretch, but when we lived on Roosevelt Island, there was a take out Chinese place that did Sesame Tofu, along the same lines as Sesame Chicken, by frying nuggets of tofu, and dousing them with the same sauce.  And it was delicious!)

I want this NOW!  It sounds sooooo good.  

The way we talk about food here we need a drooling happy face.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2004, 01:36:01 PM »

You can make tofu taste like a lot of things by dousing it in it - but it is still tofu.  Like putting Ragu on spaghetti squash....why not just have some spaghetti?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2004, 01:36:50 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]***GOOD BACK VIBES TO DR ELMORE!!!***[/move]

Panni

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2004, 01:38:09 PM »

Jane - I was much more outrageous than Laura Petrie. but, yes, it would make a cute sitcom.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 01:41:04 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2004, 01:39:58 PM »

Jennifer - What do you mean you''ve never had fried chicken?! Unless you're a vegetarian, there is NO excuse for missing out on this glorious treat.

MBarnum

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2004, 01:43:59 PM »

Aack! DR Jennifer I hope you aren't talking about tonights BB5 episode! I haven't seen it..don't spoil it for me!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2004, 01:49:43 PM »

I'm thinking it's time for a time out for Dear Reader RLP now.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2004, 01:53:55 PM »

At least RLP didn't bring up the twins Cardboard and Fiberboard.  And then there's the cousin no one talks about...Coke.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2004, 02:05:48 PM »

I think DR Stuart and I shall be fast friends.

DR Jay, I know turnabout is fair play.

JRand53, you're a man after mine own heart.

I also knew the cousins, Egg and Cigarette

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2004, 02:14:36 PM »

Aack! DR Jennifer I hope you aren't talking about tonights BB5 episode! I haven't seen it..don't spoil it for me!

Never fear...there's a site that tracks the doings in the house all day long.  Today, they've each been voting, but folks are being close with the information about whom they voted for.  I believe that's where Jennifer got her information, but there is no danger of results being spilled by those of us who read it.  Plus, the voting results are announced live, east coast time, and that site won't be able to discuss it until the live show reveals the results.  Of course, we all hope our "easter" friends will be thoughtful of us "westers".

Will has told Diane he believes Adria is with the girl alliance (which, natch, includes Will).

There was not supposed to be another switch since the last one (which we witnessed on Tuesday evening's show, but which probably took place over the weekend).

Tonight we shall be treated to the introduction of both twins and all sorts of "heck" should erupt among the "Four Horsemen" -- :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 02:17:40 PM by RLP »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2004, 02:27:27 PM »

Love tearjerker movies, and all of the ones named thus far from IMITATION OF LIFE to NOW VOYAGER and TERMS OF ENDEARMENT are top favorites of mine. I'd add DARK VICTORY and ALL THIS AND HEAVEN, TOO as a couple more Bette Davis tearjerkers that always work their spell on me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 02:27:54 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2004, 02:31:12 PM »

LOL RLP!  I forgot about those two!

I am now off to rehearsal myself.  But first I am doing the display case for NUNSENSE.  The director has decided that the display case in the lobby of the theatre should be for Grease! since this is the show that the Little Sisters are doing....or at least they are on the set of their production of Grease at Mount St Helens School.....I think that perhaps a few patrons will be startled and confused especially when they see said case and then walk in to the theatre and see the thrust stage with the GREASE set on it....they will start looking at their tickets and talking and will come back to the box office to make sure that they are seeing NUNSENSE.  But that is what this director wants...so before rehearsal, I am doing a display case for GREASE!

Tonight we are rehearsing the infamous  "shoes and socks" scene in THE NERD!  "I don't want to say anything, but somebody hasn't even found his eyehole yet."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2004, 02:32:33 PM »

I only got about 30 minutes of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT watched this afternoon. Had a late lunch with friends and then went to renew my driver's license, always a long line to contend with.

I did notice the PG (rather than R) rating on the keepcase, so I'm sure DR TD was correct last night when saying the "offensive" language was gone. Of course, Babs uses every epithet imaginable to call George Segal gay within the first two minutes of meeting him, and I found that OUTRAGEOUSLY OFFENSIVE, but not worthy of an R rating.

The MPAA, you gotta love 'em (not).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François de Paris

« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2004, 03:06:23 PM »

PBS and Musicals...... continued!

July 2004 (www.thirteen.org)
PBS Stages An Unprecedented History Of "The Great White Way" With Broadway: The American Musical, Premiering In October
Landmark Six-Part Series, Hosted By Julie Andrews, Brings Alive The Epic Story Of Musical Theater And Its Inextricable Link To 20th-Century American Life

With Mel Brooks, Carol Channing, Betty Comden, Joel Grey, Kitty Carlisle Hart, John Lahr, Arthur Laurents, Harold Prince, Stephen Sondheim, Tommy Tune, Ben Vereen, George C. Wolfe, And Many More, Includes An Extraordinary Collection Of Rare Archival Footage, Private Home Movies, And Original Cast Recordings

Today, with new musicals such as Wicked enjoying phenomenal success with 10 recent Tony Award nominations, revivals like Fiddler on the Roof filling the house, and the Hollywood adaptation of Chicago winning the 2003 Oscar for Best Picture, Broadway is proving once again that its vitality and magic endures. Now, Thirteen/WNET New York presents BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL, an unprecedented six-part, six-hour PBS documentary series premiering Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, October 19, 20 and 21 at 9 p.m. (ET) (check local listings).

The first comprehensive documentary series on the history of the American musical ever created for television, BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL is a co-production of Ghost Light Films, Thirteen/WNET New York, NHK, and BBC in association with Carlton International. A signature event this fall on PBS, the series was produced by Michael Kantor, who recently created Quincy Jones: In the Pocket for the American Masters series, and who has worked on PBS long-form series such as Ken Burns' The West and Ric Burns' New York: A Documentary Film.
Julie Andrews, Academy Award-winning star of stage, film and television - and public television's unofficial "ambassador for the Broadway musical" - will serve as series host.

BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL tells two stories: the 100-year history of musical theater, and the story of its relationship to 20th-century American life. Kantor's chronological approach begins with the immigrant experience at the turn of the century, when a melting pot of voices and styles gave rise to a popular new form of entertainment. The series ends with today's Broadway, where big budget new productions and revivals of classic favorites compete side by side for box office success.

Peppered throughout are legendary moments in Broadway history: George Gershwin's sojourn to Folly Island, where he began to compose his legendary score for Porgy and Bess; the thrill of Oklahoma!'s opening night; comedienne Fanny Brice's heart-grabbing performance of "My Man." From the titillating yet artful spectacle of The Ziegfeld Follies to Ethel Merman's brassy rendition of "I've Got Rhythm," and from Julie Taymor's visionary staging of The Lion King to a behind-the-scenes look at Wicked's opening night, the series enlightens, educates and offers unique insight into this truly American art form.

BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL assembled first-person accounts from dozens of theater luminaries ®¢ among them late greats such as Adolph Green, Brendan Gill, Peter Stone, "Ziegfeld Girl" Dana O'Connell, Al Hirschfeld, and Frances Gershwin Godowsky. The whole of Broadway is represented: writers, lyricists, producers, performers, directors, and scholars. Among them are Mel Brooks, Carol Channing, Betty Comden, Kitty Carlisle Hart, Jerry Herman, Margo Jefferson, John Kander and Fred Ebb, Joel Grey, Harvey Fierstein, Robert Kimball, Chita Rivera, John Lahr, Rocco Landesman, Jerry Orbach, Arthur Laurents, Harold Prince, Gerald Schoenfeld, Stephen Sondheim, Tommy Tune, Ben Vereen, George Wolfe, and many others.

"There's no place in the world like Broadway - it's where the American dream is realized eight times a week, and even though it's become an expensive ticket, it continues to embody the optimistic heartbeat of American culture," says Kantor. "As Times Square celebrates its 100th anniversary, it's crucial to hear from the key Broadway figures who actually had a role in shaping the course of American culture - to document the stories of these creative legends in their own words - before it's too late."

Executive producer Jac Venza says the series is a sterling addition to Thirteen's four-decade tradition of showcasing musical theater and its creative talents on PBS with such series as Great Performances, Theater in America, Dance in America, and Stage on Screen. "With offices just a few blocks from the heart of Broadway, it's not surprising that Thirteen is in a unique position to bring this ambitious project to a national television audience," Venza says. "Our long history of collaboration with the theater community, as well as our extensive track record in performance programming, has provided us with the access and relationships necessary to tell the complete, epic story of Broadway."

The series traverses a century of national events with seismic reverberations on the Broadway stage, including recorded sound, the rise of Hollywood, the Great Depression, both World Wars, labor relations, the advent of television, civil rights, the sexual revolution, and AIDS. Each of the six films demonstrates how America's ever-changing cultural landscape is reflected back from the Broadway stage.

To bring this story to life, BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL will use an extraordinary collection of archival footage, newsreels, private home movies, original cast recordings, still photos, diary excerpts, personal correspondences, rare television and audio archives, and autobiographical material.

BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL is geared toward audiences of all ages, offering insights from Irving Berlin, Bert Williams and Yip Harburg through to Agnes DeMille, Hal Prince and George C. Wolfe, while spanning a century of musical productions from Show Boat, Anything Goes and On the Town to Company, Hair and The Producers.

"With this series, we not only showcase the magic of the musical theater, we discover its underlying connection to history," says executive producer David Horn. "And it's a history underscored by some of the most memorable music ever written - songs that are brash, unforgettably passionate and indelibly American."

To complement and expand the reach of the series, Kantor is creating a lavishly illustrated companion book with co-writer Laurence Maslon, to be published by Bulfinch Press in conjunction with the PBS premiere. Maslon wrote the 2001 American Masters special, Richard Rodgers: The Sweetest Sounds. The series will be released on home video and DVD by PBS Home Video. A companion five-CD box set, a dynamic Web site and a variety of educational outreach activities are also in development.

BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL is a co-production of Ghost Light Films, Thirteen/WNET New York, NHK, and BBC in association with Carlton International. Michael Kantor is series producer-director. Bill O'Donnell is supervising producer. Jac Venza and David Horn are executive producers.

Funding for the series was provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the National Endowment for the Humanities, Dorothy and Lewis Cullman, the Shubert Organization, the LuEsther T. Mertz Charitable Trust, the National Endowment for the Arts, the Ira and Leonore Gershwin Philanthropic Fund, Judith B. Resnick, Vivian Milstein, Rosalind P. Walter, Bob Boyett, the Harold and Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust, the Max and Victoria Dreyfus Foundation Inc., Mary and Marvin Davidson, Allen & Company, the DuBose and Dorothy Heyward Memorial Fund, the Karen A. and Kevin W. Kennedy Foundation, Mary Rodgers and Henry Guettel, public television viewers, and PBS.

François de Paris

« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2004, 03:14:39 PM »

Dear reader Elmore, do feel better soon!

I listened to my copy of A Tale Of Cinderella yesterday and noticed that dear reader Elmore did the orchestrations for that show!
Aren't we in good company here, folks?!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 03:48:59 PM by François de Paris »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2004, 03:17:17 PM »

DR MattH:  "The Owl and the Pussycat" original R rating may have been downgraded over the years.

Of course, you may be right that some of the language has been tamed, but let us know for certain.

I'm thinking that "Midnight Cowboy" no longer carries an "X" rating, but the content remains as it was (I think).

Jennifer

« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2004, 03:21:31 PM »

Well DR Stuart and I are just speculating.  Because of course we haven't seen it either.

Although Julie Chen said last week that Natalie was coming in the house today.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2004, 03:23:36 PM »

Of course, you may be right that some of the language has been tamed, but let us know for certain.

Talk about language being tamed. I caught Anger Management on TV last weekend. Not one coarse word. I wonder how "testicle" sneaked by the censors.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up