Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: IN SEARCH OF A BON MOT  (Read 23275 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:IN SEARCH OF A BON MOT
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2006, 03:56:17 PM »

DR MBArnum,

Did you see the Bollywood clip i told you about?

Under a different writer it wouldhave been good.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2006, 04:02:24 PM »

Phew!!!

I think I am caught up reading.... Taking a few minute break at work and I thought I would read a bit....

My favorite art movies:

Unter Solen
My Life as a Dog
Somewhere Tomorrow
Like Water for Chocolate....  The book is just as good!!
Chocolat
The return of Martin Guerre
Jean de Florette / Manons of Spring
Playboy of the Western World (the 1963 Irish release)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 04:03:10 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2006, 04:10:14 PM »

Yes, Jose - brilliant suggestion.  I must now view tapes aimed at two to five year olds.

Well, I bet Jose could help you with that task, too.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2006, 04:15:39 PM »

The Brothers Four rule.

That is my statement at this time.

The Brothers Four were originally from the University of Washington in Seattle.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »

Thanks for the SOM link, DRDAKOTA CELT.

Where is DRJANE today?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2006, 04:16:30 PM »

The Brothers Four were originally from the University of Washington in Seattle.

They are still from there....they're just not there now.  ::)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2006, 04:20:30 PM »

Mark Forest page 5 dance!
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

I saw that movie at the drive-in.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »

DR DakotaCelt - re Playboy of the Western World.

I can thoroughly recommend "The Empress of Ireland" by Christopher Robbins.  It is about the life of Director Brian Desmond Hurst" - funny, informative and at times very moving.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2006, 04:24:19 PM »

Just had a lovely, touching and funny phone call from Mr. Richard Sherman.  He just finished reading Rewind and absolutely loved it.  He thought the plot was most interesting and he said it made lots of things make sense to him, and it was just a wonderful call.

Supercalifragaslisticexpialidocious!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2006, 04:25:22 PM »

Phew!!!

I think I am caught up reading.... Taking a few minute break at work and I thought I would read a bit....

My favorite art movies:

Unter Solen
My Life as a Dog
Somewhere Tomorrow
Like Water for Chocolate....  The book is just as good!!
Chocolat
The return of Martin Guerre
Jean de Florette / Manons of Spring
Playboy of the Western World (the 1963 Irish release)

I forgot two more:

CYRANO DE BERGERAC with Gerard Depardieu
LA REINE MARGOT
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2006, 04:26:09 PM »

I saw that movie at the drive-in.

Were you car-hopping?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2006, 04:35:48 PM »

Well, Mr Hamill was definitely a student of the casting couch school of drama, along with several others I know but won't name.

I can't even find John Hamill listed in the credits for TOWER OF EVIL.  I assume he is not the star.  I did see that Jill Haworth is listed as being in the film.

Obviously, Mr. Hamill must now be in his seventies, or Mr. Barnum would not have been watching the film.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2006, 04:42:39 PM »

I can't even find John Hamill listed in the credits for TOWER OF EVIL.  I assume he is not the star.  I did see that Jill Haworth is listed as being in the film.

Obviously, Mr. Hamill must now be in his seventies, or Mr. Barnum would not have been watching the film.

I suspect that many of DR MBarnum's film obsessions were students of the casting couch school of drama!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2006, 04:44:33 PM »

I'm now officially on a pre-"Time to Say Goodbye" Sarah Brightman kick.  All the pop music, the ALW recordings, The Songs That Got Away, etc.. she was so much better before she went - ummm - legit?   LOL

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2006, 04:45:02 PM »

Eleven users and six GUESTS!  That's what I'M talkin' about.

Waiting to finally (it's been a four-month journey) get my new bamboo blinds to replace the broken ones in the dining room.  It will be ever so lovely to be able to raise them and let the sun shine in.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2006, 04:45:30 PM »

OH!

J&R has had first-day-of-release sales in the past.  So, I have a feeling that the $5.99 The Color Purple OCR is not a mistake.  I guess they're hoping that people will go ahead and buy something else while they're there.  -And, actually, I usually stock up at J&R since their regular prices are equivalent to Tower's and Virgin's sale prices.  And they tend to be well-stocked at all time in all categories of music and DVDs.

I don't think it's a mistake anymore, either.  I've browsed a little through their selections and I spotted the COMPANY re-release at just $7.99.  I think I might do some shopping there later.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: January 24, 2006, 04:45:39 PM »

Quick, if each of the eleven users made fifty postings right now, we'd set a new record.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »

They are still from there....they're just not there now.  ::)

You don't know that!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2006, 04:48:12 PM »

I suspect that many of DR MBarnum's film obsessions were students of the casting couch school of drama!

He just wishes that he had been the couch!
“One thing’s universal,

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #199 on: January 24, 2006, 04:49:10 PM »

DR DakotaCelt - re Playboy of the Western World.

I can thoroughly recommend "The Empress of Ireland" by Christopher Robbins.  It is about the life of Director Brian Desmond Hurst" - funny, informative and at times very moving.

I will check it out...

I love the score from the 1963 version. IT was rather fascinating. It was also great to see one of the greats in Irish pipering, Leo Rowsome.  It was done by Sean O Riada and his group, Ceoltoiri Cualann.  Ceoltoiri Cualann was the forerunner to the Chieftains led by Paddy Moloney. Huge fan of Irish Music, specially the  Chieftains.

It was one of the first movies to incorporate true traditional Irish music from an orchestral point of view. The music is from actual folk melodies and no incorporation of American-Irish vaudevillian influences.

The other movie that incorporated Irish music was Lovespell  (AKA Tristan and Isolde). It was the first movie to use Irish traditional instruments for the score. The Chieftains were involved also in Kubrick's film, Barry Lyndon. They won an Oscar for their work on that one.  They also contributed music to the movie, The Grey Fox, where they won  a Juno award.

DRJRand55, you are welcome!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2006, 04:49:34 PM »

I'm now officially on a pre-"Time to Say Goodbye" Sarah Brightman kick.  All the pop music, the ALW recordings, The Songs That Got Away, etc.. she was so much better before she went - ummm - legit?   LOL

Never legit with that vocal training:  she's aiming for a low-brow audience that thinks she's legit.  White trash or kitsch is my opinion.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2006, 04:50:32 PM »

I forgot two more:

CYRANO DE BERGERAC with Gerard Depardieu
LA REINE MARGOT

I will have to see if I can find a new copy of Cyrano.... My VCR was hungry two weeks ago and ate it....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »

I will have to see if I can find a new copy of Cyrano.... My VCR was hungry two weeks ago and ate it....

The Depardieu is now on DVD, and rather inexpensive when I purchased it.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2006, 05:02:25 PM »

The Depardieu is now on DVD, and rather inexpensive when I purchased it.

Thanks for the heads up!!

It was not fun pulling the tape out of the VCR. Ironically, it was the newer one that did that. The old one has never eaten a tape, oddly...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2006, 05:02:28 PM »

Years ago, I worked with an actress, here in Tacoma, that later went to Hollywood to become a star.  Her first feature film was an art-house film, I believe, because of the nudity.  It was the X-rated version of Pinocchio ("IT'S NOT THE NOSE THAT GROWS")  
“One thing’s universal,

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2006, 05:03:15 PM »

Another interesting movie was Au Revoir Les Enfants

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2006, 05:09:24 PM »

It's not Jojo's Circus - it's called The Doodlebops.  A rock group for the pre-kindergarten set.
I've seen a bit of that show.  It is ugly, obnoxious, and yes, sickeningly sweet.  It's as if someone was trying to recreate the era of Sid and Marty Kroft, but without the imagination...or the drugs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2006, 05:09:39 PM »

Another interesting movie was Au Revoir Les Enfants

I loved it, but I wept for days after and never want to see it again!  Those poor children.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2006, 05:15:42 PM »

I just got a good review of Deceit in the mail - some rag I've never heard of before.  Unfortunately, it's so ineptly written it's an embarrassement.  That, and the fact that the reviewer starts at the beginning of the play and tells the ENTIRE story from start to finish, in detail, with every plot twist there for all to see.  I mean, what IS the matter with these people.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »

ICE STATION ZEBRA ...Yes, it's obviously studio sets (no frosty breath when folks talk), but you expect that with most films of that era. Didn't bother me a bit.
Can you imagine what a location shoot would have been like?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up