Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCHEME OF THINGS  (Read 27429 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE SCHEME OF THINGS
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2006, 03:58:08 PM »

It's now almost 2:00 pm and there has been no contact from Doris at all. >:( The neighbors who lent me the steam cleaner said that Doris is not very efficient. ::) She's the only person who takes care of this whole 92-unit complex.  I want to find my purchase papers to see what the previous owners disclosed, because I don't remember seeing anything liket this listed.  AND I don't seem to have any broken pipes!  ALL of my faucets (inside and outside) work fine, as do my dishwasher and washing machine.  I'm hoping that this is not something that I'm going to have to pay for...I hope.

Now...how about that water heater?  Hmmmmm?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2006, 04:00:12 PM »

I'm fresh out of a meeting and I feel as though I'd been cooped up for days.

My sniffles are back, my throat is itchy and I'm sneezing.

[God bless me!]

Oy....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2006, 04:00:58 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Sakes alive, we've hit page 5![/move]

François

« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2006, 04:28:28 PM »

From: http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/index.html

Interview with: Annette Funicello

Of all the Mousketeers, Annette Funicello was unquestionably the best known. Her bright vivacious personality appealed to viewers, and there's no doubt that her wholesome good looks were of more than passing interest to the young boys who watched. She was discovered by Walt himself when she was performing in an amateur program at the Starlight Bowl in Burbank. After her remarkable rise to great fame as a Mouseketeer, she continued to work for Walt for some years in a number of films and television shows. She had featured roles in "The Shaggy Dog," "Babes in Toyland," "The Misadventures of Merlin Jones," and "The Monkey's Uncle." Her memories of Walt are sincere and often touching

Q: You had three auditions before being selected for the Mouse Club. Can you remember when you found out the good news?

Annette: "Somebody from the Studio called and said I was chosen. In fact I was the last one chosen. There were 24 of us, and I was the 24th. So, I made it by the skin of my teeth."

Q: Did you see Walt often?

Annette: "When we were filming, he was there a lot. And of course, when there's 24 kids running here, there and everywhere, we didn't really get to know him all that well. We saw him. He made sure everything was OK. He'd talk to the director to find out if there were any problems.

When I really got to know him was when the Mickey Mouse Club broke up. I thought I was a goner, too. I had no idea I'd be staying on. Somebody came to my mom and said, 'You're going to have to bring Annette up to the office and have her sign some papers. Instead of a three- year contract, we're going to make it seven years.'

Mr. Disney told me that the fan mail coming in was astronomical. Something like 10,000 pieces a week. That was the only idea I had of the popularity of the show."

Q: You called him Mr. Disney?

Annette: "We kids had been told to address him as Uncle Walt. That's what he sort of requested himself. He was everybody's friend. I couldn't do that. I just couldn't do that. It stayed Mr. Disney forever. To this day.
I just had so much respect for him that I preferred to call him Mr. Disney. The gardeners at the Studio and everybody would say, 'Hi Walt,' and he wanted it that way and I couldn't."

Q: What are your memories of the Studio at the time you were there?

Annette: "Working at the Disney Studio is like a family. The grounds were a college campus. Everybody there were the kindest, nicest people. It seemed to be a criteria. And Mr. Disney was so faithful with his people. If he liked you and you did well, he would hire you back time after time. So we all became like family."

Q: How did he treat you, personally?

Annette: "He was so supportive. He knew how painfully shy I was. I have told this story over and over, but it's really the truth: I went to him one day and said, 'I have a problem, Mr. Disney.' And he said, 'Aren't you happy?' And I said,' I am very happy. But nobody can pronounce my last name. I'd like to change it.'
'To what?'
'Turner.'
He said, Young lady, [you are not] going to change your name... It's a fine name and a beautiful name, and people may not know how to pronounce it now, but soon they will remember it.'"

Q: When you had to miss your graduation from school, he was particularly thoughtful, wasn't he?

Annette: "The Studio had asked me to go to New York to work at Radio City Music Hall. I didn't want to go because I was about to graduate from my studio school and I didn't want to leave my family. And this was for six weeks on this enormous stage that was so frightening. I said no. And they kept calling me back and calling back and telling me not to worry. [They said], "you're working with a wonderful singer and he'll carry you." I was close to tears. Mr. Disney called me one day and said, 'I know how upset you are about missing graduating, but I promise you the best graduation you'll ever have here in New York.' I couldn't refuse him. After we finished the show, they brought out all the Rockettes and the superintendent of schools of the New York system, who presented me with my diploma on stage while the Rockettes were doing their high kicks. Who cares about a prom? He came through for me. It was just so thrilling."

Q: Can you tell us the story about your sixteenth birthday?

Annette: "He knew I was absolutely crazy about Guy Williams, who was Zorro. And this was common knowledge because I would hide behind corners and watch his every move. Well, Mr. Disney got wind of this, and for my sixteenth birthday, he said, 'Happy sweet sixteen darling. Here are a couple of scripts. I'm going to put you in 'Zorro' with Guy Williams.' They had a big sweet sixteen party. He actually handed me the scripts for my birthday."

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2006, 04:34:07 PM »

Thank you François. I found that quite an emotional read.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2006, 04:39:40 PM »

California travel vibes to DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2006, 06:01:18 PM »

Travel vibes to Larry!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2006, 06:28:25 PM »

I liked it better when it was known as "Come to Me, Bend to Me."

Wow, I knew that song sounded familiar from the first time I heard it...you're right

Cillaliz

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2006, 06:32:49 PM »

Travel Vibes to Larry

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2006, 06:33:05 PM »

TOD - Evita and Joseph, I guess.

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2006, 06:36:15 PM »

I am tired and about to sign off.  I got up at 4:00 AM drove to Des Moines (3 1/2 hours away) went to a seminar for 7 hours and drove back. It was a long day but a good one. Glad to be home, though.

FJL

« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2006, 06:38:37 PM »

And as Billy Crystal's character sort-of pointed out in one of his films, doesn't the beginning of "School Days, School Days" sound like both "Come to Me Bend to Me" and the beginning of "Music of the Night?"

FJL

« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2006, 06:40:14 PM »

Actually, maybe Crystal was only talking about "School Days" and "Music of the Night."

???

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=10]AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!![/size][/move]

When I came home from rehearsal tonight, part of the carpet in my living room (bottom floor) was soaking wet!!  I just moved into this place less than two months ago and my carpet is soaked!  I was able to borrow a steam cleaner from one of my neighbors to vacuum up some of the water, but it's still quite moist.  I can only hope that the wet area doesn't spread too much or I'm totally screwed.  It doesn't look like it's coming in from the back door, so I don't know what's going on. :'(

That stinks!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2006, 06:44:23 PM »

DR RLP, I like Anne Heche.

I also like Anne Heche. I have some edits of her when she was on Another World.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2006, 06:45:14 PM »

Cute avatar DR Laura!

François

« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2006, 06:46:34 PM »

I was told that "Music of the Night", played backwards, sounds exactly like "Bend to me, Come to me", which, translated into French, sounds like a dirty song, backwards or onwards, and vice versa!

I was told!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2006, 06:48:14 PM »

Have a safe trip to LA DR elmoore....

FJL

« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2006, 06:48:34 PM »

Francois - You may be thinking of "Come Bend to Me" from "On A Clear Day You Can See a Funny Girl Singing Hello Dolly Forever."  :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:49:11 PM by FJL »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2006, 06:49:51 PM »

I love CAts and Phantom of the Opera.

I did not care for Sunset. I did not mind Evita. There were a couple of songs that I did like.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2006, 06:50:33 PM »

I also did not like Jesus Christ Superstar. I have not seen Joseph and the Amazing TEchnicolor Dreamcoat.

François

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »

Francois - You may be thinking of "Come Bend to Me" from "On A Clear Day You Can See a Funny Girl Singing Hello Dolly Forever."  :)

You're right... even though I NEVER think!

The French version was simply called "Yentl"! ;)

François

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »

I love CAts and Phantom of the Opera.

I did not care for Sunset. I did not mind Evita. There were a couple of songs that I did like.

I love cats and sunsets but I am not too much into Opera! ;)

François

« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2006, 07:02:11 PM »

TOD - Evita and Joseph, I guess.

Aren't they the parents of Jesus?! :o ;)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2006, 07:04:17 PM »

I love cats and sunsets but I am not too much into Opera! ;)

Yes but Opera is amazing!

François

« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2006, 07:07:37 PM »

For a few nights this month (It's already December here!), Paris will have a production of CANDIDE with Kim Criswell as the Old Lady, and a French actor/singer that DR elmoore and pianoman Jose do not particularly like, so... I won't mention his name!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:16:40 PM by François »

François

« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2006, 07:09:27 PM »

Yes but Opera is amazing!

So is the technicolor dreamcoat!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:10:40 PM by François »

François

« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2006, 07:12:20 PM »

I also did not like Jesus Christ Superstar.

We won't call the Vatican at Nine about it! No!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2006, 07:28:21 PM »

We won't call the Vatican at Nine about it! No!

I would agree on that assessment!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2006, 07:47:27 PM »

Good evening all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up