Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW YORK ADVENTURE  (Read 20936 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:NEW YORK ADVENTURE
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »

Do they also get stuff from the telly shows?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2006, 11:37:13 AM »

A guy in Fargo a few years ago bough a pair of Elvis's pants at teh same shop. That made the news.

DerBrucer, I wonder if it is the same place that Fargo Community Theatre and NDSU have gotten a few costumes.

I know when I was in a high school production they ordered a couple of costumes from a Theatre costume operation out of Chicago.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2006, 11:40:05 AM »

Oucha Magoucha.

Feelin' out of sorts today.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2006, 11:40:54 AM »

JOin the club...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2006, 11:41:13 AM »

I watched, and LOVED, NBC's "Heroes" last night.

Extremely interesting, well-written and acted, beautifully produced/paced....an intriguing debut for a show that has had little press, to my knowledge.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2006, 11:41:58 AM »

I liked "Studio 60"...a lot...but Aaron Sorkin tires me out.  Too much is happening and too much is being said in too short a period of time.

At the end of a long day, I just don't want to work that hard.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2006, 11:42:07 AM »

Feel better vibes to DR RLP.

Maybe they need another look at the cover, MR BK.  Books of short stories have always been my favorite reading!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2006, 11:42:36 AM »

I watched, and LOVED, NBC's "Heroes" last night.

Extremely interesting, well-written and acted, beautifully produced/paced....an intriguing debut for a show that has had little press, to my knowledge.

I may have to tape it

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2006, 11:43:17 AM »

DR DAKOTACELT - I think that most of the Dynasty costumes have been redone or remade for other shows.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2006, 11:44:49 AM »

And as DR derBRUCER said, I think a lot of companies sell them to Costume Houses like Western Costume and Berman's where they get a second life in the rental market.....I think.

Vincent Price's cape!  Wow!

FJL

« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2006, 11:50:04 AM »

Re the HHW get-together for Saturday night at 8 - Joe Allen's is able to give us a large table for all of us together.  

Bruce, I put it under your name, but gave my telephone number as the contact number.  I just have to call on Friday to re-confirm, which seems to be their standard procedure for large parties.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2006, 11:51:10 AM »

LOL..and what terrific design!  ;D

How can you resist Hans Conreid being dressed by half a dozen men in powder blue tuxedos showering him with rose petals? And the lyrics:

Come on and dress me, dress me, dress me in my finest array, 'Cause just in case you haven't heard, today is do-mi-do day. Dress me in my silver garters, dress me in my diamond studs, 'Cause I'm going do-mi-do-ing in my do-mi-do duds!

I want my undulating undies with the marabou frills. I want my beautiful bolero with the porcupine quills. I want my purple nylon girdle with the orange-blossom buds, 'Cause I'm going, do-mi-do-ing, in my do-mi-do duds!

Come on and dress me, dress me, dress me in my peekaboo blouse With the lovely interlining made of Chesapeake mouse. I want my polka-dotted dickie with the crinoline fringe, For I'm going do-mi-do-ing on a do-mi-do binge!

I want my lavender spats, and in addition to them I want my honey-colored gusset with the herringbone hem. I want my softest little jacket made of watermelon suede And my long persimmon placket with the platinum braid.

I want my leg-of-mutton sleeves, and in addition to those I want my cutie chamois booties with the leopard-skin bows. I want by pink-brocaded bodice with the fluffy fuzzy ruffs And my gorgeous bright blue bloomers with the monkey-feather cuffs.

I want my organdy snood, and in addition to that I want my chiffon Mother Hubbard lined with Hudson Bay rat! Dress me up from top to bottom, dress me up from tip to toe, Dress me up in silk and spinach for today is do-mi-do. Do-mi-do day! Do-mi-do day!

So come and dress me in the blossoms of a million pink trees! Come on and dress me up in liverwurst and camembert cheese! Come on and dress me up in pretzels, Dress me up in Bock beer suds, 'Cause I'm going. Do-mi-do-ing. In my do-oh oh-oh-oh oh-oh-oh oh do-mi-do Duds!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2006, 11:51:20 AM »

As for tomorrow's T.O.D.... I haven't a clue because I can't get into the f%##^%$ notes!

Actually, you can...it's just that today's notes have yesterday's date. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2006, 11:52:04 AM »

I liked "Studio 60"...a lot...but Aaron Sorkin tires me out.  Too much is happening and too much is being said in too short a period of time.

At the end of a long day, I just don't want to work that hard.

I LOVED "Studio 60" because of all the dialogue.  I also LOVED "Sports Night" (but never watched "The West Wing") for the same reason.  "Studio 60" is just really different from anything that I usually watch. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2006, 11:59:02 AM »

Television ABOUT television is not very interesting to me.  

NIP/TUCK tonight!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2006, 11:59:42 AM »

interesting turn of events about Pwoject Wunway.....did one of the finalists cheat to get his/her designs on the boards during Fashion Week?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »

I have often wondered what has happened to clothing from the movies and televisions shows. Dynasty had some wonderful dresses as did the soaps for certain storylines.

Most went back to WESTERN COSTUME (from whence many had come)

here:

then here:

and now here:

For over 90 years, the motion picture camera has captured legendary roles in timeless film epics. During that time Western Costume's apparel has adorned every star imaginable. Although we reserve the pieces of unique historical value, most of that wardrobe, and thousands of other costumes found in our inventory, is available for rental.

We are constantly adding costumes to our inventory. Single items we find in tiny, out-of-the-way vintage stores, and entire wardrobes purchased from major feature films and television productions equally contribute to our extensive rental collection.

Maybe your favorite film is "Gone With The Wind," "The Sound of Music," "West Side Story," The Godfather," or "Titanic." We love those films, too. After all, we were part of them. With an inventory of over three million costumes filling seven miles of racking, plus an amazing staff of dedicated artisans. When you join the Western Costume family, you'll be in very good company.

Selections include:

They even have costumers' supplies:

(or props for Mommie Dearest)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2006, 12:03:01 PM »

Tim Gunn declares:  "I wasn't born yesterday."

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/tvNews/view.bg?articleid=159253

Don't read if you don't want to know the finalists' names.  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2006, 12:03:49 PM »

Thanks DR derBRUCER.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2006, 12:06:59 PM »

Do they also get stuff from the telly shows?

Make for, rent to, get from!

We probably supply the costumes for your favorite network shows, and most popular world-premier movies and mini-series. As for theatre, well of course Western Costume is used by the biggest Broadway and touring productions, but did you know we are the choice for many community theatre, college and high school productions?

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2006, 12:09:38 PM »

Tonight:

8 PM: New NCIS - new HOUSE
9 PM: New Unit - new LAW & ORDER CI

The new EUReKA also comes on at 9, ( but I can watch the rerun at 11)

The pilot for HELP ME. HELP YOU comes on at 9:30 (maybe Woody can watch in the kitchen while he cooks - says me  in hopeful anticipation)

(I also like STANDOFF, but something's gotta give!)

10 PM: New SMITH, new LAW & ORDER SVU

(Thankfully I'm not hooked on BOSTON LEGAL)

11PM: new EUReKA

Does anybody share my pain!!!!! (well, maybe Matt)

der Brucer

Probably my dad. He watches many of those same shows.

I watch a lot of tv, but none of the ones you listed. Thankfully I mostly only have one show on at a time (or sometimes at 10pm i will tape one and watch one).

Since we have no CW network (and i like many of those shows) our fox network runs them from 10pm to midnight. So tonight i will have gilmore girls at 10pm. And next week i will have veronica mars at 11pm. Yeah.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2006, 12:14:37 PM »

Jrand, reprinting the cover won't help.  Of course, folks like Jane, who were MIA during the many times I posted pix and then announced the book site, don't even know it's available for ordering.  Well, amazon it will be - and unless they get the paperback version, it's more expensive there.

Edisaurus

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2006, 12:17:45 PM »

DR Edisaurus, will your doc be playing in or near Portland, Oregon anytime soon?

I hope so! So far it has sold out every screening, including the one tonight in NY. (They are probably small rooms---the Boston Public Library last week was our biggest, at 300 seats.) I don't know if it will draw such good crowds in places besides the NE, where the story takes place, but I have hopes!

It will have its theatrical release in Jan/Feb 2007 and you can watch for screenings on our website: www.willowpondfilms.com  

Also, if you send me your email address, I'll put you on our mailing list when it hits the west coast!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »

I recorded The Dressing Song with Michelle Nicastro on Reel Imagination.  I also love Just Because We're Kids and the Hynosis number - and the amazing Eugene Loring ballet with the instruments.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2006, 12:32:25 PM »

I know when I was in a high school production they ordered a couple of costumes from a Theatre costume operation out of Chicago.

Probably from Costume Holiday House

A place where you can rent costumes "by the show".

Even specialty stuff like

der Brucer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2006, 12:33:38 PM »

Thanks for the info DerBrucer!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2006, 01:10:09 PM »

One recall it being two dress from Hello Dolly...

and one from Annie Get your Gun.

Edisaurus

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2006, 01:11:19 PM »

I recorded The Dressing Song with Michelle Nicastro on Reel Imagination.  I also love Just Because We're Kids and the Hynosis number - and the amazing Eugene Loring ballet with the instruments.

Must...find..."Reel Imagination"...

I, too, love the ballet in the dungeon with the scratchy violins, squeaky piccolos, etc. etc. etc...  It has to be inspired by Hieronymous Bosch's "Musical Hell".  And those Frederick Hollander arrangments!

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2006, 01:13:09 PM »

JRand, let us hope that those wonderful Vera West gowns are not decaying some place...or being worn out by punk rockers who picked them up at the local thrift.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2006, 01:15:30 PM »

Hollander was a great composer (he wrote Falling In Love Again) and Dr. T is his masterpiece.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up