Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROUSING NOTES  (Read 22409 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE ROUSING NOTES
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2006, 06:45:07 PM »

'night

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2006, 06:45:30 PM »

I shall now be on my way to the theater for this evening's performance.  Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

Jed

« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2006, 06:49:35 PM »

I have tomorrow off, then work on Saturday, and have Sunday and Monday off.  Then I'll get a day off for Presidents Day sometime between next Friday and the Saturday a week after that.  The library branch I will normally be working runs on a Tuesday through Saturday week, so will be closed Tuesday, BUT the library I'm training at will be open Tuesday, so I will be there, and then they have to give me a day off to make up for it sometime later in the two-week pay period.  Basically, I have no clue what's going on, but as long as they're paying me, I'll show up when they want me there! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: February 16, 2006, 07:04:18 PM »

I have tomorrow off, then work on Saturday, and have Sunday and Monday off.  Then I'll get a day off for Presidents Day sometime between next Friday and the Saturday a week after that.  The library branch I will normally be working runs on a Tuesday through Saturday week, so will be closed Tuesday, BUT the library I'm training at will be open Tuesday, so I will be there, and then they have to give me a day off to make up for it sometime later in the two-week pay period.  Basically, I have no clue what's going on, but as long as they're paying me, I'll show up when they want me there! :D

You're working as a bouncer at a library?  What does that entail?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2006, 07:04:55 PM »

Gotta love the confusion but you are right, it is a paycheck!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2006, 07:05:32 PM »

You're working as a bouncer at a library?  What does that entail?

And he bounces well ...  ;D
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jed

« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2006, 07:10:01 PM »

Oh, DakotaCelt, in response to your question a couple weeks ago about handling of patrons with cell phones...  They're simply not allowed to be used in any branch of our library system!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2006, 07:11:56 PM »

DR Jennifer,  I certainly wouldn't worry about it, I am sure I will survive.  However, I don't believe that saying that the three cowboys got booted off (pun intended) is being vague.  I was particularly fond of the young cowboy who sang to his turkey; and although he was too untrained to survive on Idol, I would have preferred to find out that he was gone by watching the tape rather than from you spilling the beans.

I am sorry if I spoiled it for you. But I actually did not say that they got the boot. I asked if anybody else found it sad when the 3 cowboys said goodbye (meaning to each other).  That was the sad part, and that is what I meant. I purposely didn't write if they were off the show. BUt i'm sorry.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 07:13:08 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2006, 07:15:45 PM »

No spoilers.

I've already seen the skating on CBC, but I"m gonna watch the final 6 on NBC just to see what they say about each.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #219 on: February 16, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »

I am sorry if I spoiled it for you. But I actually did not say that they got the boot. I asked if anybody else found it sad when the 3 cowboys said goodbye (meaning to each other).  That was the sad part, and that is what I meant. I purposely didn't write if they were off the show. BUt i'm sorry.

As I said, Jennifer, it was no big deal; but thanks for the apology.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #220 on: February 16, 2006, 07:18:19 PM »

Very vague skating spoiler re: what DR RLP wrote.

I thought the winner was quite good.  And I disagree that #2 and 3 were not good (although they weren't fantastic).

I still do not understand the new voting.  There is one skater in particular (that i will mention tomorrow). The Canadian commentators thought it would be close for this person to win the bronze. But the scores were WAY below that!

Jennifer

« Reply #221 on: February 16, 2006, 07:19:34 PM »

As I said, Jennifer, it was no big deal; but thanks for the apology.

I would have apologized before, but I wasn't sure if you were joking or being serious.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #222 on: February 16, 2006, 07:29:52 PM »

Congratulations on number 23, DR JANE.....please report when it is seen and heard.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #223 on: February 16, 2006, 07:30:53 PM »

Tornado warnings lapsed, some wind and rain, but not much here.  

Much Cross Snowboarding which doesn't seem like an Olympic Calibre sport to me - but as long as they don't include baton twirling (there is a serious lobby for it, you know) - I will be happy.

Jennifer

« Reply #224 on: February 16, 2006, 07:30:55 PM »

For DR RLP re: last night's LOST. SPOILERS.

http://www.tvrules.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=9813

Here is an exerpt that confirms what you said earlier.

"An Army truck moves Sayid and some soldiers somewhere. One random guy asks Sayid if he has a wife or kids, but Sayid says no. The guy looks at his picture, which is of a very, very young Kate. As in, as young as they could make her and still be recognizable as Kate. So this must be Kate’s dad. "

I wonder how many people missed this. When I mentioned it to my sis today she had no idea!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2006, 07:35:11 PM »

DRJOSE I watched Letterman the night you were on and they didn't show the audience, they used that snowboarding guy for ALL the bumpers between the commercials.  It was very distressing!

Cillaliz

« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2006, 08:01:10 PM »

Johnny Weir's coach's name is Priscilla. Gotta love that!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2006, 08:11:10 PM »

Good evening, fellow Dear Readers.

That's about it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2006, 08:15:35 PM »

Had a nice evening fully loaded with CSI of various falvors and SMALLVILLE. First up, CSI from Season 5 DVD set. It was the episode that featured FOUR cases, all of which were too brief to rank it as one of the great episodes. I suppose it was interesting to see the different interviewing techinques and personality variables among the ciminalists on the team, but we mostly knew those already, so the four cases were kind of unsatisfying since not enough time was available to delve fully into each one. Or maybe the writers couldn't devise enough red herrings for the cases should they have tried to let them stand on their own. Regardless, it wasn't a great episode in the series.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »

Johnny Weir's coach's name is Priscilla. Gotta love that!

She skated in the senior ladies division as Priscilla Hill and she was very good, usually finishing second or third to Dorothy Hamill in the nationals.

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2006, 08:19:41 PM »

Next up was SMALLVILLE, a good but not great episode of the series.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2006, 08:21:11 PM »

Next up was CSI, a fascinating case with William Petersen taking center stage for much of the hour. With so many on the team now, he has not had to be the focus of the show all that much in recent years, but these last two or three weeks, he's been front and center, and I've always liked him. Great to see him flexing his acting muscles.

Matt H.

« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2006, 08:23:20 PM »

Finished up with last night's CSI: NY, a rerun which I remembered having seen when it originally aired earlier this season. There were two cases, one of which I remembered clearly and one I didn't, so I sped through the one I remembered and concentrated this time on the one that was vague in my mind.

The show was started to mesh together well this season after a topsy-turvy first season (CSI: MIAMI had a similar laborious first season.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #233 on: February 16, 2006, 08:25:15 PM »

Good Evening!

How does that song go in Robber Bridegrooom.... "Been a busy day..."

And, yes, indeed it has.

Whew!

-And eight pages of posts to catch up on...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2006, 08:29:07 PM »

I flipped over to NBC and was able to see the gold medal performance for the men.

spoiler - - - - -

I must say I was totally unimpressed. Yep, there were jumps but not landed smoothly or effortlessly. Everything was stiff, forced, hectic. A triple flip was downgraded to a double. The triple axel had only a double toe loop connected, not a triple as so many of the men now do. No artistry in the skating, no passion or connection to the audience. Just a jumping automaton with music playing in the background.

True, everything was landed on one foot including a quad-triple-double, but the ideal for me is skating with technique and artistry, and this had solid technique with ZERO artistry.

I missed Evan Lysechek's heralded performance, but I'll tune in to the figure skating hour tomorrow (already have the DVR set) where I'm sure it'll get replayed.

Matt H.

« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2006, 08:35:25 PM »

And a word about the new scoring system. Though people howled in protest about the old 6.0 system, it was nirvana compared to the thoroughly camouflaged and open to gross overscoring and underscoring that can be present now.

Under the old scoring system, some argued that skaters could be "held up": that is, a skater with an international reputation could be given overly generous marks that were not earned in actual performance. When that happened, however, it was plain for all to see as the scores of the nine judges would flash across the screen for technical merit and artistic presentation.

Now, holding up a skater is effortless for the judges because they can award bonus points, they can artificially pad a score with artistic scores and hide behind anonymity because all we see is a combined number of points in technical and presentation.

It has totally destroyed my interest in competative skating.

MBarnum

« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2006, 08:47:37 PM »

Just watched a fantastic little pre-code film called WOMAN IN THE SHADOWS (a.k.a Woman in the Dark) starring Fay Wray and a very young Ralph Bellamy and Melvyn Douglas and written by Dashiell Hammett. Another one from that Dark Crimes 50 movie set which I keep harping on...but gosh these movies are great, and there are some rare titles!

Fay Wray was her regular gorgeous self, and much more interesting then she often times is. I think she is a bit dull in some of her movies, but not in this one...and doesn't Fay Wray EVER wear a bra??  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2006, 08:50:15 PM »

rodz wuz heer

Matt H.

« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2006, 08:50:52 PM »

Going to head for bed now. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the evening.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »

And a word about the new scoring system. Though people howled in protest about the old 6.0 system, it was nirvana compared to the thoroughly camouflaged and open to gross overscoring and underscoring that can be present now.

Under the old scoring system, some argued that skaters could be "held up": that is, a skater with an international reputation could be given overly generous marks that were not earned in actual performance. When that happened, however, it was plain for all to see as the scores of the nine judges would flash across the screen for technical merit and artistic presentation.

Now, holding up a skater is effortless for the judges because they can award bonus points, they can artificially pad a score with artistic scores and hide behind anonymity because all we see is a combined number of points in technical and presentation.

It has totally destroyed my interest in competative skating.

I have been turned off it also... in addition to the Tonya Harding-Nancy Kerrigan episode
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up