Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUTHERN FRIED NOTES  (Read 24179 times)

Ben

Re:SOUTHERN FRIED NOTES
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 06:05:00 AM »

I'm having trouble with the Radio Show. It gets to the point where Donald is going to play selections from Promises, Promises (one of my favorite shows from that time period) and it just quits! I will try later.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 06:25:06 AM »

Ben-
You read Reidel's column in the Post today? Lays it all out in Black and white about Daniel D. He and Beach haven't been speaking, etc. Cast was going to mutiny if he stayed on.
All I know is he made a friend of mine cry on the phone. Twice!

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/41900.htm

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 06:29:36 AM »

Kern-
I'm not even going to try to be clever and think of something obscure.  "The Folks Who Live On the Hill", "Poor Pierrot," "I've Told Ev'ry Little Star", "Ol' Man River". Pure brilliance.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 06:34:34 AM »

Thanks for the link Rodzinski. I looked for Mr. Reidel's column this morning but couldn't find it. Too bad about his behavior. Theatre should be fun. You're on Broadway getting more money in a week than most people get in a month! I know that it can be stressful but come on. It's especially sad because it seems to have destroyed (according to the column) a friendship. Maybe the reviews did go to his head.

Moving on, I am listening to the Radio Show. It takes an unseemly amount of time to load each clip, longer than usual but at least it's working. I'm listening to Mr. Orbach sing the title song from PP.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 07:02:36 AM »

DR JANE: the close up the male turkey picture was impressive. Was he demonstrating his love for the female?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 07:33:35 AM »

Vixmom/Deb, did you ever see the recommendations I made for possibly hooking up to listen to Donald's show and my show on line even though you don't have speakers at work? I had sent you a pm about the CD but the other suggestions were made as a post. I just can't remember which day I posted them so I can't direct you to where they are if you haven't seen them.

Thanks, by the way, for the kind comments about my CD.

Yes I did, unfortunately headphones at work is absolutely not an option and our home computer is so slow that the real player won't work, it just keep timing out.. we may get the occassional word but it just doesn't work as a m,thod for listening to the  show.  If anyone has the urge or the capability to record the radio show for me I would be happy to pay the cost of the CD or tape and the postage :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 07:36:07 AM »

It's taken me a long time to warm up to Kern's music, but I've learned to love all of "Show Boat" and most of the other songs that all the DR's have mentioned.  Including "I Won't Dance".  Chat was fun last evening, too bad SOME of you missed it.  :P

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 07:36:08 AM »

Like most of the great composers, there are so many favorites of Jerome Kern, and my tip-top favorite varies with my mood. But how could one not list the entire SHOW BOAT score as it contains such classics. The man was a musical genius.

However, if I had to choose one song right this second, I'd chose "I'm Old Fashioned." Julie Andrews did a lovely version of it on one of her early recordings, and Nan Wynn's version on the soundtrack (singing for Rita Hayworth) of YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER is steller, too. It's such a great song that it can be sung as a ballad or as a swing tune with equal effectiveness.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 07:41:23 AM »

Thanks for the link to the NY Post story about Daniel Davis. COnfirms some of what I had already been told by others.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2005, 07:42:42 AM »

Any comments about last night's MEDIUM? I haven't seen it yet, but I know there are a few fans here and was wondering if anyone wanted to comment.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2005, 07:53:23 AM »

TOD - I can't contribute any Kern titles that haven't already been mentioned, but my favorite versions of many of them are by Joan Morris.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2005, 07:55:47 AM »

There is a live chat tonight (three hours) with the folks From Warner Home Video at the HTF. Since I will be watching AMERICAN IDOL, HOUSE, and THE SHIELD, I won't have those three hours free, but I look forward to the transcript of the chat. Hopefully, they'll give information about potential DVD releases that I'd like to see including LILI, THE PIRATE, and IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER.

Ben

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2005, 08:20:47 AM »

Another Joan Morris fan! We love her. Anthony and I saw her with her husband, William Bolcolm and Max Morath at the Lucille Lortel theatre this past summer. We spoke to them after the performance and they were very generous with their time. Anthony brought a CD which they kindly autographed and we spoke about music and performing with them for almost a half hour. It was a wonderful experience. Ginny, I know you're from Michigan. Did you go to U of M at Ann Arbor? Joan Morris is on the faculty there (I assume you already know that).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2005, 08:31:37 AM »

DR ELMORE - I bought the SHOWBOAT 3-disc set on LP oh so many years ago.  I love it.  We were doing a production of the show and it was invaluable to all of us (I was playing Frank and loved having the dance music to the songs & all the movie songs as well)!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2005, 08:35:52 AM »

I couldn't be at the chat becasue I was a memorial service for my friend's dad.  No fair keeping all the good dirt to yourselves.  As the Vixter said when she was a  very little girl... "I don't want to be teased anymore"  :'(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 08:36:21 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2005, 08:41:10 AM »

I saw last night's MEDIUM.  It was a good episode.  A bit more gritty and violent to me than the others.  We got to see her kids a fair bit.  ANd there were two stories playing simultaneously.  As I said, it was good, but not one of my favorites.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2005, 08:42:09 AM »

We've also seen Juliet Stephenson on stage .. in a wonderful play with Frank Langella at the Ahmanson, the name of which I don't recall, though she played a female artist during the Renaissance.  Both she and Langella were terrific in it!  A very interesting play too...wish I could remember the name!

Was it "Les Liaisons Dangereuses"? - Langella played  it at the Ahmanason in the fall of 1988 with Lynn Redgrave and Kathleen Quinlan; Juliet was nominated for an Olivier for a role in the same play in 1986, perhaps she had a role at the Ahmanson.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2005, 08:44:51 AM »

Watching EASTER PARADE a couple of times last weekend - I really like Fred Astaire's solo "Drum Crazy" and I especially like the way it's orchestrated when Fred and Judy walk into the Ziegfeld Roof and it's played.  Lovely melody.

And it's funny how a bit of the staging seemed to turn up in SITR a few years later.  I mean the fiddle playing routine and the stacked boxes from "Drum Happy" as the finale of "Moses Supposes".....interesting.  Maybe Gene had already done some work on EASTER PARADE before he broke his ankle.  At least we know he saw it.

Of course they are NOT exactly the same!  But they have similar ideas behind them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 09:22:56 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2005, 08:45:30 AM »

Vixmom - how are those bids going?

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2005, 08:46:09 AM »

Ben - Yes, I went to Michigan, but was gone from there before William Bolcom joined the faculty in 1973 (the year I left) and Joan Morris in 1981.  It was actually Elmore who introduced me to their recordings when we worked together on a local production of Look Homeward, Angel.  I've only seen them perform once, here at the Sorg Opera House in Middletown, in 1985.  We had an experience similar to yours, talking to them afterward.  Very gracious and down-to-earth.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2005, 08:47:48 AM »

Good Morning!

WOW!  What a difference a day - and a change of city can make!

It is SUNNY(!!!!!!!) here in Memphis.  It's 70 degrees right now, and supposed to get a few degrees warmer!  So...

I slept well.  The keyboard should be set up by 2:00, and sound check is at 3:30.  I'm gonna head in early to get some hands-on practicing in before the sound check, and stay a little bit after the sound check too.   Then most likely, I'll head back here to the hotel before the show.  -A nap may be in order.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2005, 08:48:25 AM »

I couldn't be at the chat becasue I was a memorial service for my friend's dad.

...and you were missed!  It was such fun - hope there's another soon that we can both attend!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2005, 08:48:58 AM »

DR Pogue - The Duck Parade at The Peabody takes place daily at 11:00 and 5:00.  I believe I shall go to the 5:00 "showing".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2005, 08:52:57 AM »

Bolcom & Morris - William Bolcom's Gershwin Songbook record was one of the first records I remember checking out of the library.  And I believe it was one of the first CDs I bought - as soon as it got released (if it got released - I have a couple Bolcom & Morris discs).  And Bolcom's "Graceful Ghost Rag" - and his other piano rags - is a favorite.

Joan Morris' performance/recording of her husband's two set of cabaret songs are truly quintessential.

They gave a concert at my alma mater when I was a sophomore in college.  A wonderful evening.  A little bit of this, a little bit of that.  And they were both very gracious and generous with their time after their recital.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2005, 08:53:36 AM »

DR Jose, I must have missed it, but what are you working on in Memphis?

Keep a look out for some Country stars!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2005, 08:54:25 AM »

Well, time for me to get myself together and head out for a while...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2005, 08:55:21 AM »

OH!!!

DANGER!!!  DANGER!!!!

Krispy Kreme is just three blocks away.
Fat City Beignet is too.

Hmmm...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2005, 09:01:20 AM »

DR MBARNUM - DR JOSE is starting his MAMMA MIA! engagement that will include Indianapolis next week!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2005, 09:01:36 AM »

Yesterday Jose posed:

Well.... Remember, I have been living in Richmond, VA - The Capitol of the Confederacy - off and on for the past 17 years...
...Or was it the "The CapitAl..."

You say capital, I say capitol...

They seem to be used interchangeably (by mistake) nowadays.  I remember being taught the difference back in fourth grade... But I still get confused.  And I've forgotten the nemonic device to remember the difference/proper usage.

You have your choice of at least two memory aides:

1. Congress with an O meets in the Capitol with another O.

2. Remember the "o" in dome. The capitol has a dome.

Now I know the South has a hard time accepting the fact, but Richmond is NOT the "The Capitol Capitalof the Confederacy"! The war is over - the south lost - there is no more "Confederacy"!  (You could get away with "erstwhile Capital".)

der Brucer

PS While researching capitol/capital issue I stumbled on a website by Paul Brians, Professor of English at Washington State University, author of Common Errors in English Usage wherein he gives aid and comfort to the miscreants who insist that a preposition is an OK thing to end a sentence with.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2005, 09:08:03 AM »

DR Jrand, I promise, I am NOT nit-picking, especially at you, but for the sake of accuracy, the number's title is "Drum Crazy." I agree with you completely, and I especially like the orchestration of it on the Amsterdam Roof set.

I meant to re-watch EASTER PARADE all weekend, this time to watch the movie and listen to it rather than to the commentary, but I never got around to it. Now, I have a stack of DVDs selected for this week, and it's not in the stack!

Too many DVDs, too little time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up