Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: OLD MAN RIVER  (Read 17523 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OLD MAN RIVER
« on: June 17, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you jes' keep rollin' along readin' the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come rollin' along home.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 11:58:25 PM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:OLD MAN RIVER
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 12:03:30 AM »

DVD:  Guys and Dolls
CD:  "The Lonely Surfer"  Jack Nitzsche
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 12:08:53 AM »

And the word of the day is: SCHLEMIEL!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 12:16:40 AM »

CD: the advance copy of the new Guy Haines Album, NEW GUY IN TOWN, of course!

Tomovoz, Jack Nitzsche, if it is the same Jack Nitzsche who wrote movie scores and was married to Buffy St. Marie (won an Oscar, I believe) bought my old house in Beachwood Canyon under the shadow of the Hollywood sign.  I had to leave a round bed I had as part of the deal.   I think he used it for his Hollywood pied a terre when working here.  He was a very weird guy.  There was an episode of the TV show COPS, showing the Hollywood division, pulling him over when he was drunk, cruising Hollywood Blvd, with a gun, looking for unsavory types.  Alas, I believe he passed away a few years back.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 12:24:14 AM »

That's the one.  He died in 2000. MBarnum will no doubt know that he arranged Bob Lind's "Elusive Butterfly"  and co-wrote "Needles And Pins".

Scores included "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" and "Officer And A Gentleman"..

For those fans of "The Big Chill", Nitzsche did choral arrangements for the Rolling Stones "You Can't always Get what You Want".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 12:41:45 AM »

I will buy the house if you leave the round bed.  That's something I have never heard on House Hunters on HGTV!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 12:42:24 AM »

I almost ordered the classic musicals collection for my DVD budget this month, I opted instead for the Gary Cooper Collection....could not resist.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 12:44:25 AM »

DVD: Aventurera! I can't get it out of the player - it has me in its grip...Ninon Sevilla AKA Senor Wences is hypnotic....or hipnotic as the case may be when she is dancing.

CD: Still Doris Day the 1960's Singles

VCR: STAGESTRUCK with Christopher Plummer, Susan Strasberg, Henry Fonda and NEW YORK CITY!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 12:45:09 AM »

DR CP - I remember that episode of COPS, but I had never identified the man....it was a sad episode.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 04:00:29 AM »

DVD: PS Your Cat Is Dead
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 04:13:54 AM »

Music: Kris Phillips (Thanks again Larry!)
           Bill McKinley
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 04:19:11 AM »

Nothing in the DVD or VCR but since the weather has cooled, I will probably watch more Sopranos episodes this weekend.

CD Player: In honor of Anthony's opening tonight, I've got A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (the Bay Cities reissue from Mr. BK's early company)

I also have Stop the World, I Want to Get Off OCR, Sugar OCR, Sweeney Todd OCR, the Rodgers and Hammerstein revue by the Roundabout Theatre, It's a Grand Night for Singing, produced by the inimitable BK and finally, the OCR of one of the best musicals ever written, Follies

And that, my friends, is my listening material for the morning. In the afternoon, at 2pm, I will listen to Ball Over Broadway on BBC Radio 2 and then 90 minutes after that I will head home to change and prepare for a friend's birthday outing. Just a simple dinner and since it's summer and stays light till around 8:30, we may go over to the West Side and walk along the Hudson River.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 05:18:19 AM »

Good morning, all!  This blast of cool weather has me very lethargic and lazy today.  I've got a lot of things to do:  the recording office, some DARLING OF THE DAY work here, and then THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA tonight.  When I get home, I have to wrap a few Christmas gifts that have been sitting here since December; I'm seeing their recipients tonight at the theatre, so we'll have Christmas in June.

TOD:
  DVD:  I got three Netflix movies still waiting for me
  CD:  French operetta, BEGGAR'S OPERA (Britten version), SEVENTEEN, ALICE IN WONDERLAND (Bambi Linn/Eva Le Gallienne), UP IN CENTRAL PARK
  VCR:  I'm waiting for Jed's shaving video
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 05:34:40 AM »

Sorry I have been errant and truant this week; I have felt like Ol' Man River this week, and it has even gone through my head several times (usually the "Sick of trying..." line but sometimes just the rollin' along).

CD:  Original (as in the first and real one) cast of "Flower Drum Song,"   Sally Mayes' "Boys and Girls" among others.

DVD- "The Aviator"  I'm not a Leonardo DiCapprio, but he's going a better job than I expected.  The movie is quite gorgeous to watch, though.

VCR--"Andy's Gang" with Froggie the Gremlin ("Hiya Kids, Hiya!  I feel good, I do; I do.")

I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 05:46:49 AM »

I almost ordered the classic musicals collection for my DVD budget this month, I opted instead for the Gary Cooper Collection....could not resist.
I've got to slow down when reading these posts...somehow, I misread this as the classic Gary Cooper musicals collection...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 05:49:26 AM »

Nothing special in the players...the lads have watched Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat several times already...but der B has promised me that a new shipment is due in any day now...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 05:50:59 AM »

Good morning to all and sundried.  And Good night.  It's bedtime in the land of OZ.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 05:51:41 AM »

Yesterday DR George joked that we (der B and myself) should kidnap his daughter and take her to a Log Cabin meeting.  Thing is, der B has already taken her to a meeting, a few years ago.  He took her husband, as well.  Everyone thought her husband was with der B.  They thought der B's daughter was a lesbian.  

Her husband enjoyed himself.

::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 05:52:03 AM »

Time to go to work!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 05:53:49 AM »

mediaCheck

iPod -- I am currently uploading Sweet Charity and 1776 OCR's and Enya's Shepherd Moons for today's listening pleasures.

DVD Player:  Tintypes

VCR:  Hopefully, The World of Henry Orient.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 06:20:27 AM »

20% off EVERYTHING at deepdiscountdvd plus free shipping.  You have to enter "Supersale" as the promotional code.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 06:32:16 AM »

Doggone it DTM, now I am going to have to buy some stuff!

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 06:35:19 AM »

Media Check:

CD: BK's wonderful CD CINDERELLA: SONGS FROM THE CLASSIC FAIRY TALE

VHS: It would have been the 1930 classic MAD LOVE if I had remembered to set the timer last night.

DVD: OKLAHOMA starring Hugh Jackman, courtesy of DR Elmore3003 who for some reason thinks I need a little bit of culture. I don't know where he comes up with that! .....Well, I must now go finish watching my double feature of TEST TUBE BABIES (1948) and HELL IS A PLACE CALLED HOLLYWOOD (1950).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 06:45:05 AM »

There was a movie about test tube babies in 1948?!?
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 06:48:13 AM »

There was a movie about test tube babies in 1948?!?

Yep!

And much of the cast/crew of this picture went on to work with Ed Wood. LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 06:49:18 AM »

And of course I would NEVER miss a film with a title like that! LOL!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 06:55:05 AM »

TOD;

DVD:Porgy and Bess (I have looked forward to watching it for a long long time and I’ve finally got the DVD, with Japanese captions, produced by BBC and EMI in 1993, from market-place on amazon.co.jp)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 07:12:37 AM »

Yep!

And much of the cast/crew of this picture went on to work with Ed Wood. LOL!

It's--it's so--lurid!  

I must see it with my own eyes!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 07:13:02 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2005, 07:16:53 AM »

It's--it's so--lurid!  

I must see it with my own eyes!

And you can for just $5.99 at Oldies.com! LOL!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2005, 07:25:57 AM »

And you can for just $5.99 at Oldies.com! LOL!

Already added to my swelling DeepDiscountDVD order.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up