Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMAGINE MY SURPRISE  (Read 32196 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:IMAGINE MY SURPRISE
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2004, 09:42:19 AM »

The term "diegetic" has been taken up by some in the musical theatre.  A diegetic song in a show is something like say "Cabaret" or "Let Me Entertain You", where the characters are actually singing in their real lives, as opposed to "book songs"  (there is surely a fancy Greek word for that too?).  You could say all the songs in The Dead and the film of Cabaret are diegetic.

It's actually a useful term, although before I heard it, I used to speak of a "song-song", which conveys the same meaning.

Now who can define "synectoche"?  Any scholars of Aristotle's Poetics out there?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2004, 09:43:36 AM »

Doesn't everybody?  ;D

MR BK mentions THE ASPHALT JUNGLE in the notes today....one of my favorite movies.  Mr Louis Calhern (who for a time was married to Lovey aka Natalie Schafer) is so wonderful in that movie.....  :D

My other favorite Calhern role is in EXECUTIVE SUITE.... speaking of which...wasn't THAT a television series for a tiny bit of a season?   ???
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 09:44:15 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2004, 09:45:10 AM »

Wait....did I read that someone is no longer hosting our site?

I missed something.....to quote Fred Willard in A MIGHTY WIND:

Wha' happened?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2004, 09:49:17 AM »

HUZZAH!  (Oh, a Kean reference!)

PAGE 3!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D                         ;D                         ;D[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                         ;D                         ;D                         ;D[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                                                 ;D                         ;D                         ;D[/move]
--Wayland Flowers

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2004, 09:52:51 AM »

LOL, Jrand!

Don't forget, he pronounces it "Wha' HOP-pened??" just to maximize the idiocy (something at which Fred Willard is expert).

Janet Leigh on Columbo in T-minus 8 minutes!  Bravo channel!  Fire up those VCR/TIVOs!!  Be there or be square!
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2004, 09:54:23 AM »

I pulled this from rec.arts.theatre.musicals (back in the days when it was good)...

"Diegetic means that the characters in the play are aware that they are singing, instead of using song as a different form of communication.  For example, the nightclub acts in Guys & Dolls are diegetic, whereas Sarah and Sky's love duets are not."
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2004, 10:08:28 AM »

I'm on a diegetic right now - I've lost about ten pounds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2004, 10:19:47 AM »

It is going to be a quiet weekend / week for my electronic audio-visual devices, with the exception of my cassette player.

DVD:  Empty
VCR:  Empty
CD (car): Empty
CD (living room): Empty
CD (computer): Empty
Cassette Player:  All of my music for next week’s gala.  Most of it I have under control, with the exception of SUNDAY from SITPWG.  The next person I hear say that Sondheim is easy is going to get bitch-slapped.

It is heartening to hear so many of the regulars here at HHW speaking out against the proposed constitutional amendment regarding the sanctity of marriage.  This is not a gay rights issue, but, rather, a human rights issue.  When the political leaders of this country begin to consider passing laws that restrict the civil rights of some or all of its citizens, then it is time for all of us to stand up against these abuses.

I can’t remember which is which (diegetic or non-diegetic), but I want a background score to my real life, too.  When I enter a room, I want that reprise of I COULD HAVE DANCED ALL NIGHT that happens at the end of MY FAIR LADY after Henry asks Eliza for his slippers.  I know, I should probably have something a little more butch, like THEME from TRUE GRIT or THE BALLAD OF THE GREEN BERETS, but hey, My life, my score.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Lulu

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2004, 10:28:10 AM »

TCB: Oh, I disagree.  I definitely think we need to do everything humanly possible to outlaw people loving, cherishing, and honoring each other until death do they part.   What kinds of weirdos would want to engage in such deviant behavior, anyway???

Yeesh.

Lulu

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2004, 10:28:48 AM »

BK: Careful you don't get dehydrated.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2004, 10:42:09 AM »

Re: American Idol and the Wild Card show.

This is what someone (a member not anything official) posted on the website. Not sure if it's true:

They are going to have 12 wildcards this time around and have them tested for a week with the judges.  At the end of the week 8 will be on the wildcard show and we will vote on one, and the judges will pick one each and that makes 4.

Me:  Also, they need more men in the Top 12.  So I'll bet at least half of the wildcards will be male.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 10:43:45 AM by Jennifer »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2004, 10:46:23 AM »

No particular tales to tell about last night's din-din with Harlan and Neil Gaiman, though the conversation was bright and scintillating as always.  Much of the time they told tales about a fellow scribe of theirs, Norman Spinrad. And I broke my passenger side mirror on Harlan's curbside cactus.  I was pulling tight up alongside the curb.  It was a plant, I thought it would give.  It was like a wall and the damned cactus just ripped my mirror off. My mirrors are not the type that fold in when they meet an irresistible object.

Speaking of all this animal illness, our black cocker, Cully, whom BK has written about here...filching gum out of ladies' purses (we also call him Hoover, because with his muzzle to the floor, he can suck up any foodstuff...and other questionable edibles...right off the floor)...is going blind.  This has come on (or at least become noticeable) only since the first of February.  It's a degenerative retinal thing apparently and his eyesight seems to be down to pin-points.  All peripheral vision seems gone and it's sad to see the old guy bumping into stuff and losing his bearings.  And, of course, steps must be sequestered off, etc.  He's better in the daytime than the night, of course, but despite this and his almost twelve years (which is old for a cocker) he's in otherwise excellent health.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2004, 10:51:09 AM »

A Seeing Eye Human....what a wonderful concept!

DR TCB - At least once you must say Que sera, Seurat!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2004, 10:57:21 AM »

I apologize up front for this post if anyone finds it offensive, but my gallows humor just got a nice jolt--did anyone else get the CASTRECL notice that Jerome Robbins' sister died of a heart attack in the theater right before Fiddler opened.  It was either divine providence, or some kind of psychic premonition of the "deadly" reviews.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2004, 11:00:18 AM »

Re:  The Secret of Dr. Kildare.  Well I know I personally was shocked....SHOCKED to discover that Richard Chamberlain was.....

(finish as you will)
...Hiding all this time that his first name is really George.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2004, 11:01:27 AM »

It seems the FIDDLER reviews (which I read after my prior posting) were all comparing this version to the Robbins version.  I'd like to read a review from someone seeing the show for the first time.  I get the impression that this is a FIDDLER for people who never saw it in its original staging.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2004, 11:08:32 AM »

So far I have refrained from commenting on President Bush's intention to win an election by protecting my neighbors' families from mine.  My experiences have been pretty good since Joe contracted EMS in 1989.  Doctors, nurses, and other hospital personnel have accepted me as his partner almost without exception--and that is before we did the paper-work which right-wingers tell me "gives us all the rights" that Britney Spears got at the shake of a booty--and for a mere $2,500 in lawyers fees.

Well, since he has been in the Medical Unit of the County Hoosgow, things have been different.  "I'm sorry, I can't discuss a patient's condition with you."  "I cannot violate the patient's right of privacy." (Ha!  As if they cared about his rights!)

Our attorney has just sent the Warden (via messenger and overnight-delivery certified mail) copies of our Health Care Proxy, Power of Attorney, and Living Will.  Still, when I called Dr. Ratched (she has been promoted due to her bedside manner and Academy Award), "I cannot discuss a patient with you.  I do not know who this patient is.  I have over 1600 inmates to care for.  I do not know who you are."  Sixteen hundred inmates, and there is no medical staff on duty at night?  And the "Med Unit" is the nursery.

The interesting news in Newsday this week is that an inmate was brought into the Med Unit on Friday with difficulty breathing.  They brought him to the hospital.  He was released and sent back to his cell.  He died Saturday of a pulmonary embolism.  And he didn't even write Rent.  The State Commission of Corrections is "investigating".  Our attorney has also contacted them.

So back to marriage.  I thank God that we have a President who believes in the sanctity of Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire.
--Wayland Flowers

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2004, 11:13:10 AM »

It seems the FIDDLER reviews (which I read after my prior posting) were all comparing this version to the Robbins version.  I'd like to read a review from someone seeing the show for the first time.  I get the impression that this is a FIDDLER for people who never saw it in its original staging.

Why should this new version of Fiddler on the Roof have to be the same as Jerome Robbins' Fiddler?  After 400+ years, the critics seem to cheer if a Shakespeare production successfully reinvents itself, but if it is a show from our lifetime, the original is apparently sacred.  I agree with you, WEL, I want to know what those who have never seen the show thought of this production.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2004, 11:17:07 AM »

Oh, and since Dear Reader Swishy Sarah has not returned with a review of Mel Gibson's new Blood Fest, can any meaning be read into the report that James Caviezel was struck by lightning during the filming?
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2004, 11:22:33 AM »

I would agree with you 100% DR TCB if I had not once seen Hamlet dressed in black leather hotpants spinning on a wheel yelling "To be or not to be...."

Let me just say this Libby Appel - be afraid be very afraid.....her daughter did the lighting or costumes or something and her son composed the music (both chosen because they were better than other technicians employed at the space) and I swear if she had had another kid who could fit in the hotpants, that kid would have been spinning....

She is a disgrace to theatre audiences everywhere....you have been warned.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 11:30:31 AM by JRand53 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2004, 11:25:07 AM »

Can any meaning be taken from the fact that a woman had a heart attack while watching ["The Passion of Christ"]...and died?  She apparently had the attack during an intense sequence of the film.

I'm waiting for the first reports of people vanishing during a screening.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 11:27:02 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2004, 11:26:44 AM »

DIEGESIS: A narrative's time-space continuum, to borrow a term from Star Trek.
What cra... sorry... What nonsense!  Everybody knows that time-space continuum was stolen by Trek from Dr. Who.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2004, 11:32:15 AM »

Actually Rocky Jones himself leaped across the time-space continuim.  How else to explain the 1953 Ghia?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2004, 11:35:43 AM »

MBarnum you ate peanut butter and butter sandwich!  Haven’t you heard of scrambled eggs, in oil not butter, and dry toast when you are sick?  At least you didn’t have it with mayo.   ;D

And Matt H, I hope you don’t eat that when you are sick.  Between the two of you, I swear I’m going to be sick now.  :D You too Jed, Bruce,  Dan (the man)-who else?

JoseSPiano I expected you to chime in & make me gross out as well, but your version sounds much better & healthier.

Thank you Tomovoz.  You just settled my stomach with that exquisite photo. :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2004, 11:37:41 AM »

Re:  "Survivor: All-Stars"

Things are pretty much on track.  After a very deceptive editing job, it was gratifying to see Richard Hatch get voted OFF the island.  

They made it seem like the ladies were going to team up with Richard and form a coup against the "men" of the tribe.

But, the final vote was all for Hatch, except his vote for Colby.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2004, 11:40:56 AM »

Oh, just to get Jane going:

Butter melted into the toast, then melt the peanut butter a little bit on top of each slice in the toaster oven.  Cover with honey, add sliced onions, slap the bread together.  Heaven!
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2004, 11:43:19 AM »

DR S. Woody, sorry you don't like the score to OLIVER! I think it's magnificent.

I bet he is far more sorry than you are since he, apparently, has to keep listening to it.  :D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2004, 11:43:49 AM »

Now who can define "synectoche"?  Any scholars of Aristotle's Poetics out there?
A scholar of Aristotle I ain't. (Wasn't he married to Jackie Kennedy?) And I haven't read his Poetics since theater school. I still have a marked up copy of it somewhere around here. But, I do believe that synecdoche means a kind of metaphor in which you represent the whole thing by citing one part or vice versa. For example, head of cattle for many cows, or conversely "the law" for one lonely cop.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2004, 11:45:55 AM »

I thought it was something Dorothy Provine advertised....

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2004, 11:47:51 AM »

I'll have to do my media check later, mainly because I don't have anything to report.

Anyway, speaking of Fiddler On the Roof, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (I'm only up to page 2), but Playbill.com reported that Sister of Jerome Robbins Dies at Fiddler's Opening Night.  Shades of 42nd Street.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 11:48:48 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up