Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR  (Read 43537 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2005, 10:43:19 AM »

JRand54, most of the furniture in our house is either mission/craftsman style or vaguely southwestern.  I like heavy comfortable furniture that one is not afraid to put their feet up on.  Our coffee table is a chunky, weathered old mission door.

A theatre book I love is Daniel Blum's A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF AMERICAN THEATRE.  I eventually bought a revised edition from the first one I bought, that took the history up to 1980...but I've still got  the original edition too.

Oddly enough, I don't have any theatre posters other than from productions I was in or wrote.  I do have a rather extensive collection of vintage film posters though.  In the front hall is a seven foot high Gunga Din poster.  Over the the steps is a massive poster from THE SCARLET CLAW, a Rathbone Sherlock Holmes film.  It must be 5' by 7'.  Several smaller ones of Olivier's Hamlet, Sleuth, Prisoner of Zenda (Colman); Lives of a Bengal Lancer.  A great Spanish Becket with beautiful artwork hangs in the bedroom.  Three different Viking posters hang downstairs (in American, Polish, and Italian).  There are a few others around and a bunch more I've yet to frame because I have no wall space for them...a great MAN IN THE IRON MASK (Louis Hayward and a SCARAMOUCHE signed by Janet Leigh.  I like ones that have artwork rather than photographic representations.

The most theatrical poster I have is a large portrait-photo poster of John Barrymore, along side it is a large photograph (taken from the original negative) of Barrymore as Svengali.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 10:46:19 AM by Charles Pogue »

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2005, 10:46:47 AM »

My favorite piece of furniture is an antique pie safe that belonged to my grandmother.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2005, 11:10:35 AM »

Today's peculiar eBay message department:  I just got an official email from eBay (you can tell they're official when they "know" your name) alerting me to the fact that an auction I had bid on was "null and void" because the seller had been suspended.  One little problem:  the auction closed 2 months ago and I received my items probably a month and a half ago.  Are these all former phone company employees?

And don't even ask me what happened when Betsy (who does the books because it's "fun"--I kid you not) tried to change the address of the synagogue at our bank last week.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2005, 11:17:18 AM »

And just to show how smart and informed you are, MR BK, you can inform the writer of the email that the hair of Miss Allison Hayes in the 1958 Canadian-American film WOLF DOG was done by Mrs. Mabel Douglas in her beauty shop in the back of her husband's Shell gas station on location in Markdale, Ontario, Canada, in August, 1957!

During a recent drive in Bayfield, Ontario (a couple of hours from Markdale) I saw this sign in front of a log house: "Peg's Beauty Shop and Maple Syrup."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2005, 11:21:04 AM »

It was nice to see the little blurb in this week's Entertainment Weekly regarding DR Mr. Pogue's televsion film HERCULES.  It would have been nicer if they had mentioned who wrote the screenplay, but no such luck.  

Oh, this is Wednesday, Ask BK Day, I better change my post to a question.

BK --Did you see the little blurb in this week's Entertainment Weekly regarding DR Mr. Pogue's televsion film HERCULES?  Would it have been nicer if they had mentioned who wrote the screenplay?

There, much better.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2005, 11:26:38 AM »

I did not see the little blurb as I don't ever have occasion to look at Entertainment Weekly.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2005, 11:33:57 AM »

I guess I'll have to go out and buy Entertainment Weekly, even if they don't mention who wrote the screenplay.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2005, 11:44:43 AM »

In response to DTM's question about theatre art. My favorites are by Morrow. I think the SHE LOVES ME poster totally captures the flavor of that musical. Another favorite is Morrow's work on PROMENADE - as zany and witty as the show itself. Generally speaking, I think the ugliest pieces of poster art were executed for David Merrick. PROMISES PROMISES is probably the worst.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2005, 11:45:38 AM »

Did anyone catch the losers of The Amazing Race on this morning's Early Show?  We forgot to watch.  I can't find a vid clip on the CBS site anywhere.  Can you PM me and tell me what they said?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2005, 12:02:18 PM »

DtM maybe that is why Allison's hair looked that way in WOLF DOG.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2005, 12:05:16 PM »

Did anyone catch the losers of The Amazing Race on this morning's Early Show?  We forgot to watch.  I can't find a vid clip on the CBS site anywhere.  Can you PM me and tell me what they said?

I know they were promoting it last night, but I didn't see them.

Not sure if it aired in all markets. But check out this site:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID20/2097.shtml

Great news, TAR7 to debut march 1st.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3190
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 12:06:33 PM by Jennifer »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2005, 12:09:27 PM »

Oh I forgot A TERRIBLE LIAR by Hume Cronyn
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2005, 12:12:40 PM »

Question for Anyone:

Am I the only one who constantly gets an image of GWB in their mind everytime they hear the song  "Dancing Through Life" ?  

I'm listening to  the Wicked CD now, and it happened again!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2005, 12:19:58 PM »

Another question for the day.

What movies do you like that the rest of the world (including even the movie's own stars, writer and/or director) hates? In my case, it's SHE DEVIL. I've enjoyed it each time I've seen it - in fact, I think it's one of Meryl Streep's best.

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »

I did watch TAR last night! I think if I had been in a race with Jonathan for several weeks I too would wig out like Victoria was doing! LOL!

I expected Jonathan to blame Victoria for them losing the race, however, but he was actually fairly human for a change.

I found the hosts remark about Bollo and what's her name not smelling too good to be rather amusing!

And how many of you just knew that Bollo would mispronounce the city Nice?! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2005, 12:21:12 PM »

Another question for the day.

What movies do you like that the rest of the world (including even the movie's own stars, writer and/or director) hates? In my case, it's SHE DEVIL. I've enjoyed it each time I've seen it - in fact, I think it's one of Meryl Streep's best.

Oh, my, that list would take so many pages! LOL!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2005, 12:24:50 PM »

And don't even ask me what happened when Betsy (who does the books because it's "fun"--I kid you not) tried to change the address of the synagogue at our bank last week.  :)

O.K., I'll bite.  What happened when Betsy (who does the books because it's "fun"-you kid me not) tried to change the address of the synagogue at your bank last week.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2005, 12:35:58 PM »

Well, I guess I don't have to say how I feel after last night's TAR.  The maniac is gone, unfortunately without one last egotistic act--he couldn't bare walking up to the pit stop alone (Victoria doesn't count) so he had to gather a parade around him.  What an ass!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2005, 12:41:44 PM »

I just got out of my history class. Most of my classmates are the teacher's "regulars." All of them, as a group, get together and take classes from this teacher. I'm not sure why. They're not history majors. They're just groupies for this one teacher.
Maybe it has to do with...UNDERPANTS!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2005, 12:42:34 PM »

he couldn't bare...  What an ass!

Is this turning into one of those sites?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 12:43:44 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2005, 12:48:55 PM »

...And don't even ask me what happened when Betsy (who does the books because it's "fun"--I kid you not) tried to change the address of the synagogue at our bank last week.  :)
Your bank has it's own synagogue?   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2005, 12:55:32 PM »

I certainly couldn't sit up all night and day and hope to be able to function at my best the next day, but I'm not Dustin Hoffman and wouldn't presume to know his work habits. I know many people in the business consider him a pill to work with and would rather not, but he keeps getting hried and that must count for something. Somebody must think he's worth the effort.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2005, 12:59:22 PM »

Also in this week's ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY is a fantastic essay on what's wrong with WILL & GRACE. In fact, I wrote a letter to the mag this morning praising the critic for his spot-on analysis of what's going wrong over there.

Hopefully the egos of those involved with the show won't be too bruised to set about righting the ship if someone bothers to show them the article.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »

Remembering the original SHE-DEVIL mini-series, I have never bothered to see the movie.  The mini was quite interesting.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2005, 01:05:27 PM »

Speaking of writing about theater recordings, I think Kurt Ganzl's THE BLACKWELL GUIDE TO THE MUSICAL THEATRE ON RECORD is a wonderful book on show recordings. It's in dire need of an update (my copy has a 1990 copyright), but covering recordings up to a year or two before that date, it's excellent.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2005, 01:06:15 PM »

The movie I really like that most people I know loathe is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2005, 01:21:29 PM »

I certainly couldn't sit up all night and day and hope to be able to function at my best the next day, but I'm not Dustin Hoffman and wouldn't presume to know his work habits. I know many people in the business consider him a pill to work with and would rather not, but he keeps getting hried and that must count for something. Somebody must think he's worth the effort.

In 1984, I worked for around 3 weeks as manager of the Minskoff Rehearsal Studios while my manager friend Diane took a Christmas holiday to see family.  During that time, Dustin, John Malkovich, and the group were rehearsing DEATH OF A SASLESMAN.  Every morning around 9:45, Dustin and several actors would arrive together and quietly go into their studio, Arthur Miller would show up, etc.  Everyone in the company was friendly except for Malkovich.  I was working on a recording at the time so every time Dustin came and went, he'd see me working on a score.  After about three days, whenever he'd enter or leave, he would say to me, "Good night, Mr Mozart" or "Good night, Mr Liszt" andI'd yell out "You can call me Wolfgang" or "You can call me Franz." whatever person I was that day.  The last day I ran the studios, there was a birthday party for an actress in DEATH OF A SALESMAN, and Dustin brought me a glass of wine and a piece of cake.  He was a lovely man.

While I was at the Drama Book Shop in the 1990s, the employees of Dustin's production company, Punch Productions, came in regularly for things and I became friendly with several of them.   Dustin came in occasionally and he was friendly but seemed very shy.  I ended up helping them with research on Shylock and Shakespeare when Dustin was doing Peter Hall's production of THE MERCHANT OF VENICE, and received a lovely Christmas gift from Dustin in thanks.  I saw the show when it came to New York and saw a performance on Mr Hoffman's house seats.  It was also that production that introduced me to Ben Browder of FARSCAPE, who was quite friendly when we was in New York with the show.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 01:28:15 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2005, 01:24:28 PM »

Remembering the original SHE-DEVIL mini-series, I have never bothered to see the movie.  The mini was quite interesting.

The mini-series followed the novel quite closely, and I enjoyed both, although the novel was quite angry.  I liked the humor of the American film, which certainly lightened up the lebianism and the anger.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2005, 01:27:06 PM »

Speaking of Dustin Hoffman, there's a very good article about Ben Stiller in the current New Yorker, with references to other actors. At the end of "The Contender," David Denby writes:

And he [Stiller] should relax and stop glaring at the camera like a cornered animal. Dustin Hoffman played an uncomfortable young lover, sixties style, in "The Graduate," then kept growing as an actor. Now, in "Meet the Fockers," he's a joyous, dancing clown, completely at ease in his aging but superb flesh. For an actor about to hit forty, that's a spiritual victory worth imitating."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2005, 01:27:09 PM »

Speaking of writing about theater recordings, I think Kurt Ganzl's THE BLACKWELL GUIDE TO THE MUSICAL THEATRE ON RECORD is a wonderful book on show recordings. It's in dire need of an update (my copy has a 1990 copyright), but covering recordings up to a year or two before that date, it's excellent.

I like the book a lot as well, DRMattH.  Kurt's better on musicals than operetta but his book is certainly a wonderful companion to Alan Blyth's 3-volume OPERA ON RECORD, a set I read over and over.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up