Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MADE FOR TELEVISION  (Read 10912 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: MADE FOR TELEVISION
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »

Does anyone remember what commercial referred to the "Heartbreak of psoriasis"?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »

!!!!! 5 !!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »

My uncle was one of the pilots / navigators used in the STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND in one of the planes used in the movie.  I thought that was really neat when I was a kid.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2012, 05:21:29 PM »

TOD:  I really don't recall watching very many made-for TV movies in the 70's ( r really at any other time).  But during the seventies, I was usually at a rehearsal (in college) or doing a show (professionally) at night...so night-time telly was not something I watched until the late night movie after the evening's theatrical endeavours were over.

That was the same reason that I missed all of the big miniseries in the 70's.  I could almost always see Part 1 on Sunday night, but then I had rehearsals Monday thru Thursday, and performances on Friday and Saturday nights.  So, it was pretty pointless to start watching any of them (i.e. ROOTS; RICH MAN, POOR MAN; SHOGUN).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2012, 05:21:47 PM »

My uncle was one of the pilots / navigators used in the STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND in one of the planes used in the movie.  I thought that was really neat when I was a kid.

It is still neat.

Laura

« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2012, 05:46:33 PM »

Tomorrow is the primary election in Arizona. That explains the nonstop robocalls today.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »

bk - Is the show you're helping Daisy Egan with the one that she'll be performing at Joe's Pub next month?

It is indeed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »

Had a good work session, had a sandwich, had no packages, did some banking and cancelled going to this Sundance thing as I'm just too tired.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2012, 06:07:35 PM »

Good Evening!

And... Around 5:30 I decided to take a "power nap". A short power nap. Well... three hours later... Umm... I guess it was powerful. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

KevinH

« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »

I can't wait for the election to be over--I'm getting so sick of the TV ads for the candidates!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »

However, I did a load of laundry done, and I listened to the new CD by the pianist that was playing Saturday night at Brandy's, Matt Nakoa: Light in the Dark. -It's really good. Really, really good.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »

I can't wait for the election to be over--I'm getting so sick of the TV ads for the candidates!

And since Virginia is a major battleground... Ugh!
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2012, 06:12:21 PM »

And since Virginia is a major battleground... Ugh!

And I don't even HAVE a tv!

KevinH

« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »

Does anyone remember what commercial referred to the "Heartbreak of psoriasis"?

Tegrin.   (I confess I looked it up!)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »

Former DR singdaw just contacted me to tell me there are reviews for the Herbert songs in the new FANFARE magazine.

Laura

« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »

I looked it up, too, but Tegrin is a shampoo.

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »

Don't move to Iowa then, we have them for a year before the caucuses, then a couple months off before they start for the election and go for another 8 months or so...then a couple years off and they start again

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »

Former DR singdaw just contacted me to tell me there are reviews for the Herbert songs in the new FANFARE magazine.

And here's the link:

http://www.fanfaremag.com/content/view/49797/10254/

I hope that it works.  I was able to read this article, but a link to another article gave me this message:

You are not authorised to view this resource.
You need to login.

:P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »

There were two reviews: one from the critic who interviewed Jerry Grossman and William Hicks for the Herbert Cello-Piano recording. He kinda likes it, although he admits he's not familiar in this territory, and he praises William Hicks' accompaniments. Henry Fogel likes it with qualifications:he feels 16 singers is too many and he feels the vocal quality varies. I can agree with that.

Unlike the non-musician Steve Suskin who essentially panned the recording and showed his inability in playbill.com to appreciate a composer's work or to write intelligently about Herbert's evolution as a  song composer from German lieder to Broadway foxtrots, Fogel says the recording is both entertaining and informative. Of the notes, by me, the producer, and Gary Holt, he writes "the notes are a model of what notes should be for a project of this nature. we larn a lot about Herbert and about the places of these songs in his career."

Jane

« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »

Of the notes, by me, the producer, and Gary Holt, he writes "the notes are a model of what notes should be for a project of this nature. we larn a lot about Herbert and about the places of these songs in his career."

That is a nice compliment!

FJL

« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »

Please say hi, and I hope he will say hi someday.  i think he and Skip chat sometimes.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »

I'm expecting a Fed X package sometime this week.  I hope I hear the truck over the workman as there aren't any steps to leave the package on.

Jane

« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »

'night

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »

Hmmm...maybe you will see the talent in my new favorite Punjabi actor, Diljit Dosanjh?

He has nice eyes.

Yes, DR Jane. And he sings, too.

I'm sure he does.

He could croak like a frog and Mikey would call it singing!

And that is a euphemism for what?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2012, 07:15:41 PM »

I went to my favorite Japanese restaurant tonight. The owner, who is a good acquaintance and one of the sweetest men I've ever met, was hosting 20 wounded warriors and family members who are at the army medical center here. It was a delight to see their faces as he wowed them with course after course. The main course was eight whole snappers fried and served side by side in an enormous platter. They ate the sushi rolls, the fried rice, everything that was served to them. And for dessert: fried Oreos with vanilla ice cream.

And many of the people dining at the restaurant came over to thank the men and women for what they had given. Very moving.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »

Watching the new Andrew Davies "Masterpiece Theater" version of "A Room with a View." It's not the Merchant Ivory. I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing or not, but I enjoy Timothy Spall in everything.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2012, 07:18:29 PM »

Watching the new Andrew Davies "Masterpiece Theater" version of "A Room with a View." It's not the Merchant Ivory. I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing or not, but I enjoy Timothy Spall in everything.

Nothing is as good as the enchanting Merchant Ivory film. That cast is iconic. Wait till you get to the lousy ending.

John G.

« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »

Nothing is as good as the enchanting Merchant Ivory film. That cast is iconic. Wait till you get to the lousy ending.
Why thanks!
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »

Why thanks!
You're welcome! I didn't reveal any spoilers.

I think tonight's GRIMM episode is Republican. It sems to be about legitimate rape, a concept that eludes me.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:35:42 PM by elmore3003 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »

Well, it's time for me to leave work and go home.

But before I do...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up