Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS  (Read 26857 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2003, 09:00:47 AM »

Matt H.--this book sounds amazing.  Will definitely look it up on Amazon!

I know it's cliché, but I really want to go to Paris.  And the Greek isles.  

Ann--I find it hard to believe you were a tomboy!  You look so feminine in your pic!  :P  This coming from me, and I'm a huge girly-girl!

Craig--if I put on a Santa hat, do I get a hello too?  ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2003, 09:07:33 AM »

Of course we did, DR RON.  It was a lovely evening, and friends who went to the "stage door" found Mr Humphries to be a pleasant fellow who signed everything that was presented and chatted with all who waited.  GRRRRRRRRRRR..........to the group I had driven with who HAD to leave as soon as the lights came up!

DR Ron do you want a program list of the video that is in the mail, or do you want to be surprised?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2003, 09:09:01 AM »

Is EVER AFTER a new book?  I don't think I've seen it listed on the Broadwaystars listing of new book releases and I didn't see it on display at Drama Book Shop when I was there yesterday.  It sounds like the kind of book I would enjoy although I have never heard of the author.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2003, 09:11:49 AM »

Rome, Italy, Europe  8)

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2003, 09:13:18 AM »

Jrand, that is one talented chicken.  Emily, love your holiday hat.  Let the shopping commence!

I've never had any broken bones, thank goodness, but over the course of my life I have had 21 teeth pulled.  This has led to many experiences with dentists who have a talent for causing things pain (oh, a LITTLE SHOP reference).  

I LOVE travel!  I have been fortunate enough to do a lot of it, so for places I haven't yet been, I would most like to visit Africa.  I would also love to see more of Thailand as I spent one day seeing its lagoons but didn't get to any of the cities.

I can't think of any good questions right now - so what is everyone having for lunch?  I am having Chinese delivered to the office.  (but not from Ollie's Noodle Shop :()
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2003, 09:19:57 AM »

The book EVER AFTER seems to be brand new and not yet released. I believe the Amazon listing had it for release at the end of this month. I just had never heard of it or the author. But the author's name seems very familiar somehow, maybe an actor or songwriter?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 09:21:00 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2003, 09:21:21 AM »

There is a nice column in this week's Newsweek about an actor who refuses to give up the dream.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/991156.asp?0dm=s13Ck&cp1=1
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2003, 09:23:11 AM »

Don't give up the ship
Remember that it's dark before the dawn
Here's a friendly tip
You sing a song of mine, next day you're gone!

So, even if you're suffering with cancer
A plethora of sixteenth notes could be the answer:

Music can uplift
Not schlock
Like Strouse or Bock;
I've got a gift
One day you're scoring runs
Next day you're whiffed
So choke up... on the bat
Know that
My music can uplift

So any time you need some inspiration
Prick up your ear and hear this modulation...

(Repeat chorus, several times, moving up a half step every time)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2003, 09:23:40 AM »

Here's another link for EVER AFTER that says the same thing, but an additional paragraph tells a bit more about the author and lists it as available in December, 2003, though listing a publication date of October, 2003!

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=62-1557835292-0

Nice article LC....but might go into the too close to home file.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 09:29:11 AM by JRand53 »

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2003, 09:31:47 AM »

Thanks, DR JRand, for that additional link and information. I guess I don't know who the author is after all. Maybe I was thinking of Barry Sandler who wrote MAKING LOVE and THE MIRROR CRACK'D, among other films.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2003, 09:32:45 AM »

I thought Sgt Barry Sandler sang The Green Beret.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2003, 09:37:45 AM »

Ron Pulliam asked what is the difference between a fractured psyche and a fractured psycho.  The same difference between a name and a namo - one small letter, but, oh, what a difference.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2003, 09:39:16 AM »

I think he did, JRand, but they are two different people. I think the ex-Green Beret took his own life, didn't he?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2003, 09:41:48 AM »

Eepps!  Ssgt Barry Sadler sang The Ballad of the Green Beret.

Another slip of the vowels!  Errrr...consonants.  And yes, I think Ssgt. Sadler took his life a few years ago.  Her's the sad story.

http://www.sizemoremusic.com/sadler_history.htm
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 09:45:04 AM by JRand53 »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2003, 10:01:32 AM »

Rome, Italy, Europe  8)

No, Jrand, you can't pick three places.  You have to limit it to one choice only.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2003, 10:26:00 AM »

Some serendipity came my way this morning, Dear Readers.  I have been trying to get a ticket to the first jazz concert to be held at the new Walt Disney Concert Hall, but each time I checked, the concert was sold out.  On a lark, I tried Ticketmonster one more time this morning and, lo and behold, a seat was available.  

The concert marks the 20th anniversary of the Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Jack DeJohnette trio.  I will be seated behind the players, in what is called the orchestra "view" section.  It should be interesting!

So, my question for Dear BK and Dear Readers is this:  have you ever had the opportunity to sit in stage seats, behind the performer(s)?  If so, what was the occasion and what was it like?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 10:32:57 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2003, 10:36:38 AM »

DR Emily jokingly posted last night:
Ben... how much will you pay Andrea and me to walk over to Dollard-des-Ormeaux and break some of Jennifer's fingers?  That'll give you a serious advantage in the post war!

Ha ha. That is too funny.

Oh btw, I just noticed your yellow self is now adorned in a christmas hat. How cute! I love that picture. It is my favorite of all DRs pictures.

Oh and for BK I know exactly how to keep posting up.  Just make new goals we can strive for.  The added stars and better official titles are great motivation. And somehow I think between DR Ben and I, we accounted for many many posts yesterday :)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2003, 10:39:04 AM »

Jrand53 -- Surprise is EVERYthing!

Thanks.  Since I haven't a clue what's being sent, let it hold me in suspense!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2003, 10:45:29 AM »

Good morning one and all.

Broken records….. broken bones….. broken hearts…. Broken homes.      

Good Lord, what a maudlin way to start the day, except the broken record from yesterday.  Unless, of course, you are talking about some of your classic LPs (LP = Long Playing, referring to phonograph albums, kiddies) as broken records.

As a kid, I don’t think I ever actually broke anything.  I did lots of other damage to my body, however.   I was always going bike riding wearing those little rubber sandals that we called thongs (as opposed to the other kind of thong that nobody would want to see me wear).  Well, when I wanted to stop my bike, I used to stick my foot down and drag it.  Not a good idea.

Since I became an adult, I have tried to make up for lost time in the hospital department.  Most of the hospital stays and surgeries have been related to my spine, including last year’s spinal fracture.  In addition, I had my hip replaced about 12 years ago due to arthritis, and I now need to have it done again, because artificial hip has turned, and is now trying to come out of the side of my leg.  However, after going fours month last year on leave without pay, it will be a long time before I can afford to take the time needed for the new surgery.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2003, 10:50:22 AM »

Jennifer is about to join the exclusive club of Senior Member. 3 posts to go (as I write it she has 248). I don't know if we should call them "goals" though. It sounds too much like work. I have to have my yearly performance evaluation this month and part of that exercise includes a review of my "goals" for the year. Uggh. The modern office environment. Goals and synergy meetings and blah de blah de blah. Just let me do my work. Oh, well.

I do think that Messrs. Pulliam and JRand will hit the magic 500 mark soon. I hope they do it before mid-December when I become errant and truant. Keep posting boys!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2003, 10:53:16 AM »

The one place I haven't been yet, but really want to go to , is Egypt.  In fact, I want to cruise on one of those smart little ships down the Nile and then wander the desert wearing my Lawrence of Arabia garb, and a pith helmet.

P.S.  Oh, and if we could arrange to have a murder on the Nile, it would really complete the journey.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2003, 10:53:35 AM »

DR Danise wrote:
Jennifer, I await your comments on that joke with bated breath.  

Sorry, I was gonna respond last night, but then had to rush off. I LOVE that joke. I think it's hilarious.  But this is a family site. So i'm not sure if it would be okay to post. It's not that raunchy, but still. I would email it to BK and ask him if he thinks it is appropriate or not.  But I love that it has both Superman and Wonderwoman.

Ben

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2003, 10:54:58 AM »

We are one week away from DR Jason's natal day and we are one day away from the opening of The Scottish Play. I'd say Break a Leg but since this play may be cursed, I wouldn't want anything literal to happen. At least it's not opening on Friday the 13th.

Ben

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2003, 10:55:59 AM »

Jen, you're on-line. 2 to go. PUSH!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2003, 11:01:43 AM »

LOL DR TCB - I was only following the example of my dear friend Lorelei Lee who recently took a boat trip to France, Europe!   :o

Okay, DR Ron - that 's what I thought, so I didn't write on the video label.  Just don't read the yellow memo note that is included until apres viewing.

DR Danise - I always use that joke at least once in the circle meeting before curtain....  ;D

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]I was certain my new profile picture would send my Karma through the roof! [/move]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 11:03:37 AM by JRand53 »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2003, 11:04:50 AM »

Jennifer is about to join the exclusive club of Senior Member. 3 posts to go (as I write it she has 248). I don't know if we should call them "goals" though. It sounds too much like work. I have to have my yearly performance evaluation this month and part of that exercise includes a review of my "goals" for the year. Uggh. The modern office environment. Goals and synergy meetings and blah de blah de blah. Just let me do my work. Oh, well.

I do think that Messrs. Pulliam and JRand will hit the magic 500 mark soon. I hope they do it before mid-December when I become errant and truant. Keep posting boys!

Mid-December?  MID-December?

I expect to hit 500 well before Thanksgiving, dude!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Unless, of course, I fall down and can't get up.

Or if I break all my fingers!

Or if someone else breaks them...... :-\

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2003, 11:06:12 AM »

DR Maya wrote:
Ben and Jen--I love that we have our own Bennifer here at HHW!  You guys' post-race is so much more interesting than anything I could read about two other people who happen to have your names.

When Emily wrote that it cracked me up too.

And speaking of DR Emily: I noticed your chapeau as soon as I saw it. And I posted about it before reading your comments saying my counterpart Ben was the only one to notice! So there! :)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2003, 11:08:37 AM »

The one place I haven't been yet, but really want to go to , is Egypt.  In fact, I want to cruise on one of those smart little ships down the Nile and then wander the desert wearing my Lawrence of Arabia garb, and a pith helmet.

P.S.  Oh, and if we could arrange to have a murder on the Nile, it would really complete the journey.

May all your wishes come true, DR TCB!

Personally, I spent enough time in the UAE while on Persian Gulf duty to sate my thirst for the desert.  I'd love to see the ruins of Egypt, but they can keep the heat and the sand and the little noseeumbitingbugs.

I want to revisit Greece ....  heaven on earth!  It's definitely "home" from a past life.  My first visit to Athens, I was able to lead a group of folks to various locales and had never laid eyes on a map.  I just KNEW they were there...and there they were!    I spent five months in Athens, and my soul vibrated the entire time!!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 11:10:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2003, 11:14:37 AM »

Jrand:  No offense, but I always pictured you differently than that picture.
“One thing’s universal,

William E. Lurie

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2003, 11:19:05 AM »

For an example of what goes on at other theatre web sites, read Peter Filichia's column at Theatermania.com today.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up