Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AND ALL THAT JAZZ  (Read 17143 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: AND ALL THAT JAZZ
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2009, 02:59:24 PM »

PAGE SIX!!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »

PAGE SIX EARLY BETTE MIDLER DANCE!!

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2009, 03:01:11 PM »

VIBES FOR DR JANE AND DH KEITH!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »

I can't understand why ayone who be more moved or less moved by the CRY ME A RIVER recording than the I DREAMED A DREAM VIDEO.  Surely, no one can accuse Ms. Boyle of having anything to do with the quick-cut camera work, the mid-song standing ovations, or the genuine audience reaction shots.  So what?  The point is that everyone was ready to write this woman off (and laugh at her besides) until she started singing.  Last I heard, over three million people have watched that clip (in less than one week)Bravo to Susan for taking a chance that not a lot of us would be willing to take!
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »

I can't understand why ayone who be more moved or less moved by the CRY ME A RIVER recording than the I DREAMED A DREAM VIDEO.  Surely, no one can accuse Ms. Boyle of having anything to do with the quick-cut camera work, the mid-song standing ovations, or the genuine audience reaction shots.  So what?  The point is that everyone was ready to write this woman off (and laugh at her besides) until she started singing.  Last I heard, over three million people have watched that clip (in less than one week)Bravo to Susan for taking a chance that not a lot of us would be willing to take!

I read that 15 million hits have been made on the youtube clips.

I posted what I did because some folks were more off-put by what they perceived as manipulative shots and music and couldn't appreciate the vocal because of it.  I think it's a fair reaction, although I'm with you in having enjoyed the emotional wallow that was presented (the backstory is EVERYthing in this woman's performance).

I love the Scottish lilt that's in her singing voice.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2009, 03:25:50 PM »

I posted what I did because some folks were more off-put by what they perceived as manipulative shots and music and couldn't appreciate the vocal because of it.  I think it's a fair reaction, although I'm with you in having enjoyed the emotional wallow that was presented (the backstory is EVERYthing in this woman's performance).

I agree Ron.  I guess I was just a little disappointed by those who couldn't look beyond the camera angles at the human story underneath.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 03:34:37 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2009, 03:38:26 PM »

Good Evening!

So... Is it a bad thing that I'm hoping tonight's pacing is on the fast side so that I can make it to FIG before their kitchen closes? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »

This "work day" cannot END soon enough.

I'm so sleepy.  Have been since I woke up.  I even had -- gasp! -- two triple-shot lattes this morning.  I never have more than one.

They barely helped at all.   

I'll probably climb the walls tonight, though.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2009, 03:48:51 PM »

DR elmore - Yes, we are using RMS. Thankfully, the learning curve was practically non-existent, at least for me. However, since it's basically a MIDI-based program, some tweaks require(d) adjusting each and every instrument setting in a particular section or measure(!). It's not yet set up with the availabilty to do a "mass edit" on an internal section.  Consequently, when I found certain "events" were set too high, too low, too fast or too slow, well... Many more keystrokes were required than I would have liked. The big "culprit" were some of the preset tempos. Yes, the box follows you as you play, but if the preset tempo is set slower than you would like - and in many cases much slower than it ever should have been - then the program and computer is prone to "hiccup". (Since the duration of a quarter note at M.M.=120 is longer then it would be at M.M.=204.)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »

Got some fun 50% stuff at Border's including the BBC sets of Ken Russell and Maggie Smith.  Had to wonder why the Russell was twice as expensive as the Smith.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2009, 04:34:36 PM »

I agree Ron.  I guess I was just a little disappointed by those who couldn't look beyond the camera angles at the human story underneath.

What a wonderful rendition of Cry Me A River. Two very distinct  styles. Sultry for Cry Me a River and a great belt voice for I Dream a Dream. I hope she will succeed even if she doesn't on to the finale. (I hope she does.) I would love to see this show. I hope it is somewhere on the internet.
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »

Time for me to leave work.  Today is my niece's birthday.  I bought her "Slumdog Millionaire" (at her request) and it just arrived today!  Talk about cutting it close. 

Until later. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2009, 04:50:19 PM »

It is now day 6 since our exposure to Poison Oak & I have a new section on my body.  According to  this informative article this should be the last day for new irruptions.  I hope so.  Ivy, Oak, etc. these itchy rashes last a good while.  I can easily put my fingers around my left wrist, they won’t go around my right wrist it is so swollen.

That's a small consolation, Jane.

~~~Vibes for a Quicker Recovery!!~~~

LOL-Thanks.  I wish I had Keith control and didn't scratch. 

Jane

« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »

Thank you DR TCB.  How are you feeling today? 

Jane

« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »

This "work day" cannot END soon enough.

I'm so sleepy.  Have been since I woke up.  I even had -- gasp! -- two triple-shot lattes this morning.  I never have more than one.

They barely helped at all.  

I'll probably climb the walls tonight, though.

That was me yesterday.  As tired as I was I couldn't nap which may have been a good thing.  I took a Tylenol PM last night & slept rather well.  I'm much more alert today.  I think I preferred sleep walking through the itching yesterday ;)

Jane

« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2009, 05:01:42 PM »

What a wonderful rendition of Cry Me A River. Two very distinct  styles. Sultry for Cry Me a River and a great belt voice for I Dream a Dream. I hope she will succeed even if she doesn't on to the finale. (I hope she does.) I would love to see this show. I hope it is somewhere on the internet.

I thought she was funny & Keith also laughed when I showed him the clip.  For me the voice alone was the shock, and her age.  After listening to Cry Me A River I have to wonder why she disappeared after the CD was released. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2009, 05:02:30 PM »

I am back from a lovely dinner with Rob Seible, who conducted the choral concert in Houston with Ron Raines as guest star earlier this month. Rob is here with 9 chaperones, 52 students and the principal of the Houston high school for the performing arts who are performing in Bronxville tomorrow night in a choral competition. We talked about future work for me, the concert with Ron, what's been going on with the group for the past two days, and dished in general.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »

I thought she was funny & Keith also laughed when I showed him the clip.  For me the voice alone was the shock, and her age.  After listening to Cry Me A River I have to wonder why she disappeared after the CD was released. 

Well, for one thing, there was only 1,100 copies of the CD ever made.  Not enough for stardom.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »

True, not enough for stardom, at least without the internet;)  I meant that "someone" didn't hear the CD & notice her. 

Jane

« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2009, 05:38:02 PM »

I hope we will have a Vixmom report soon.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »

Catching up!   Anyway, a few things....

DR FJL, Skip was mentioned by the creators of Next to Normal on the Playbill Radio podcast (recording of Next to Normal) and was quoted as being "tough and kinda brilliant".  If he hasn't heard already, please pass that along :)

I recently became more acquainted with the musical Seesaw.  I find this an interesting thing as I had no idea of the relationship to "Two for Seesaw".  It's all a very Twilight Zone-esque.

Cillaliz

« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »

Congrats on a great review to Jose and his flawless orchestra

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »

Anti-itch vibes to DR Jane and DH Keith ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2009, 06:01:56 PM »

Tomorrow morning I get to go to Lowe's for a free power tool training for women. It's a prep class for a "women's build" for Habitat for Humanity.  Once I get through this, finishing the basement will be a breeze

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2009, 06:03:19 PM »

I'm thinking about buying a chainsaw so my backyard work will go more quickly.  I've spent 2-3 hours a night for the past 3 days working on one little area in the yard.  It's going to look great as soon as the leaves come out.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2009, 06:08:55 PM »

All right all you Susan Boyle fans, or not-so-much fans....here's a 10-year-old recording of her doing "Cry Me A River" for a millienium CD put out in a limited edition by the town she lives in:

Perhaps it will help to hear Ms. Boyle without audience participation.

Thanks for posting this, Ron. I think she's wonderful--and, yes, it DOES help to hear it straight.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2009, 06:14:44 PM »

Gotta go. The dog REALLY wants to go out.

Michael

« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »

BK I remember what my question was I wanted to ask you on Ask BK day.

Have you given any thought of re-releasing the Ben Bagley recordings? They are just sitting somewhere i suspect gathering dust

There is an opportunity to pull material from various albums and combined them into one release ie. "Love Life" songs are spread out over three albums (Kurt Weill Vol 1 and 2 & Alan Jay Lerner) or do a "best of singers" like Dorothy Loudon, Ann Hampton Callaway.  Or perhaps a cd of offbeat singsers like Katharine Hepburn and Gloria Swanson. There is also a wealth of unreleased material as well. (cast albums, revisited)
Never stop dreaming.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »

Hello Hello :)

I managed to turn the computer on before late tonight.  :o
Now to read today's posts. ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Ginny

« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »

We quite enjoyed Miss Potter.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up