Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ESPECIALLY TIRED NOTES  (Read 14814 times)

Ginny

Re: THE ESPECIALLY TIRED NOTES
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2010, 06:38:45 PM »

Who sang the song "Feelings"?

Can't tell you who sang it, but DR Elmore and I saw a bizarre "dance of the seven veils" number to it in an amateur talent show here about 32 years ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »

Ginny, have you ever had jury duty before?

Nope - and that's probably why I'm so freaked.

It could be worse.  One of my co-workers was called for Federal Grand Jury Duty.  Once a month for an entire year, he has to report for a day of Grand Jury investigations.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »

Who sang the song "Feelings"?

Morris Albert
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »

Thanks, TCB.

"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »

Ginny - maybe you'll find jury duty interesting?
I doubt they'll even pick you, once you explain to them that you're sure the person is guilty or the cops never would have arrested him.   ;D

No, that's not the ticket. If you say "I could never convict another human being because it's not my place to judge another's actions" that will get you off quicker.    ;)

Laura

« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »

Ginny, don't worry about anything. Everyone will be very very nice.

Laura

« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2010, 06:42:56 PM »

Ginny - maybe you'll find jury duty interesting?
I doubt they'll even pick you, once you explain to them that you're sure the person is guilty or the cops never would have arrested him.   ;D

No, that's not the ticket. If you say "I could never convict another human being because it's not my place to judge another's actions" that will get you off quicker.  

Or she could give them the Evil Eye with her evil eye.

Laura

« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »

I'm not sure Morris Albert had any other hits.

Cillaliz

« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »

Thanks for all the jury duty vibes.  While I'm usually pretty open to new experiences, this is one I dread.  Maybe I watch too much Law & Order.

I'm with you.  I'm extremely prone to nightmares & I'm sure doing jury duty could trigger some whoppers.  I also can't sit still for long periods. They don't let you snack either, even if your blood sugar is low.   I don't think they permit you to get up & stretch.  If I don't walk around I can get leg cramps.  I can see the reaction now when I hopped up, jumped around & yelled OUCH, OUCH, OUCH! ;D

Ginny, that not being able to move around is why I thought your doctor would give you a medical excuse.  I have a medical excuse, not for any of the above reasons.

LOL, here they have stretch breaks quite often,  jurors can have bottled water and if it's a problem judges will make whatever accomodations that need to be made.  Jurors are treated like royalty.  I haven't seen many cases that would cause nightmares...put you to sleep, yes...nightmares...not likely

Ginny

« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »

I'm not sure Morris Albert had any other hits.

Is it any wonder?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2010, 06:47:58 PM »

Thank you, all, for the advice about jury duty.  Since I have to get up about 5:30, I'm about to sign off and get ready for bed.

Laura

« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

Cillaliz is right; jurors are treated like royalty.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2010, 06:51:13 PM »

I hope you find it far less daunting than you think it will be, Ginny.
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »

We will be awaiting as many details as you can give tomorrow, Ginny.

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »

Ginny, they will ask if you have any medical conditions...tell them. If you can only sit for a certain period of time, just say so.  You may be excused if it's a problem for the way they do things in that court.

If you don't feel you can listen fairly to the topic of the law suit, say so.  No one will be mean about it, they just want to know if you'll be a fair juror for that particular type of case.  No one in the world can be fair about everything.  We all have issues that we just can't get around. If you really think it will give you nightmares, tell them you don't think you can do it.  They will appreciate your candor. 

And remember, the parties to the law suit will be so much more nervous than you are, the lawyers will likely be more nervous than you are and the judge will be watching everyone in the court room so he or she won't likely be focused on you either.   It will be ok.

Honestly, I know very few people who have actually been jurors who later regret it.  Many say it's one of the most interesting things they've ever done.....maybe they need a life, or maybe it really is interesting :)   Hope you enjoy it

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2010, 06:59:12 PM »

Now, back to taxes

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #166 on: March 09, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »

woooooooooo wooooooooooo wooooooooooooo feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel-ings....................

And now I will sing

You light up my.....liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-ife!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Laura

« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2010, 07:02:50 PM »

LOL, JRand.

Ginny

« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »

Thank you, DR Cillaliz, that's all very helpful.  Now, I'm going to bed - 'night!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:24 PM »

Thanks for all the jury duty vibes.  While I'm usually pretty open to new experiences, this is one I dread.  Maybe I watch too much Law & Order.

I'm with you.  I'm extremely prone to nightmares & I'm sure doing jury duty could trigger some whoppers.  I also can't sit still for long periods. They don't let you snack either, even if your blood sugar is low.   I don't think they permit you to get up & stretch.  If I don't walk around I can get leg cramps.  I can see the reaction now when I hopped up, jumped around & yelled OUCH, OUCH, OUCH! ;D

Ginny, that not being able to move around is why I thought your doctor would give you a medical excuse.  I have a medical excuse, not for any of the above reasons.

LOL, here they have stretch breaks quite often,  jurors can have bottled water and if it's a problem judges will make whatever accomodations that need to be made.  Jurors are treated like royalty.  I haven't seen many cases that would cause nightmares...put you to sleep, yes...nightmares...not likely

LOL-So after drinking my bottled water I could excuse myself to rush to the bathroom?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2010, 07:33:09 PM »

Guess I'll hop off-line now and get some writing done. How do you write about nothing? Ugh!

The SEINFELD writers did it for years!

And don't think I didn't reference them in the review!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2010, 07:38:27 PM »

When I went back down, I watched the new release of the 1933 ALICE IN WONDERLAND. It was just as I remembered it; kind of plodding and rather cumbersome with those huge masks and pantomime costumes they're all wearing. There is some imagination at work, and they'[ve made an honest effort to capture some of the craziness of the books.

Still, a few people are very recognizable (Edna Mae Oliver, May Robson, Edward Everett Horton) and even when the face masks or heavy make-up hides their appearance, you can recognize voices like Cary Grant, Charlie Ruggles, Sterling Holloway, Gary Cooper, W.C. Fields, and many others.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »

When that concluded, I did as I said I would do and pulled out THE RIVER WILD and watched from the time of the husband's escape from the crooks up to the end.

This was a very early DVD release, but it's one of the best video and audio transfers going, and I preferred it to the reformatted HBO-HD telecast earlier today.

However, this one will be HIGH on the list of Blu-ray purchases if and when Universal decides to release it.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »

Next up was tonight's NCIS episode. I guessed the killer's identity, but there were other surprises in the show that didn't involve solutions of the murder. Good episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »

And then I watched LOST which was, for me, the best episode thus far this season. I loved it.

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »

Looks like I'll be doing either SANJURO on Blu-ray tomorrow or, if it comes via UPS, TOY STORY on Blu-ray. I got the notice two days ago from Disney that the review copies for the first two TOY STORY films had shipped. They didn't come today.

Matt H.

« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2010, 08:10:08 PM »

Now I need to tend to some office matters and then head downstairs to bed.

Good night!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2010, 08:16:05 PM »

I was on a panel of three with Peter Mintun and David Kenney, who has a radio show "Everything Old Is New Again" on WBAI and WBAI online. He loves my work and raved about BK's albums when we were talking before the show. I thought our moderator talked way too much and didn't follow through with all of us after asking a question. After the show I suppose we talked to a group of around 25-30 people, and I had a good time. I descrbed YANK! as a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical play influenced by Noel Coward's BITTERSWEET and written by Frank Loesser and filtered through a post-Sondheim sensibility. I don't hear any Kern or Rodgers in the score, but I do hear Loesser, as well as Hoagy Carmichael, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer and Jule Styne.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »

Re:  The Oscar In Memorium topic:

Andy Borowitz of The Borowitz Report has tweeted:

"Oscars say that next year they will double the number of dead people who qualify for the montage. "
I guess they're expecting a lot of people to die this year, eh?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2010, 08:34:44 PM »

Morris Albert had no other hits because he lost a gigantic plagiarism case on "Feelings," which he also "wrote."  It put the kibosh on his career.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up