Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: RANT  (Read 28323 times)

François de Paris

Re:RANT
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2006, 06:53:14 PM »

I like the cover for WITHOUT YOU best. He sits outside on a chair looking utterly dejected.
Photographed by Roddy McDowall.

Well, you know, it was freezing cold that day in the park and Roddy was bloody slow at taking the pic! ;)

http://www.robertgoulet.com/newcredit_files/WITHOUT%20YOU.jpg

Besides, it says WITHOUT YOU so Bob has to be sad, no?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 07:03:16 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2006, 06:56:19 PM »

Do we really need designer fruit?

Paging Mr TCB! Paging Mr TCB! :D

François de Paris

« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2006, 06:58:56 PM »

More sad news, Lou Rawls has left us.

Oooh! We must have said something to upset him!

Michael

« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2006, 07:00:02 PM »

Oh, Michael S.--

When are you coming out to L.A. to see Deceit? Maybe we can see it the same night.

Well I was hoping more people would pipe in about going. But I think I will aim for a weekend in February TBD. I will look into flights this weekend.
Never stop dreaming.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2006, 07:00:05 PM »

Oh, Lou Rawls was 72 and had lung cancer.

He almost died in a car accident along with Sam Cooke, sometime in the 50's, and was in a coma for awhile.

Jane, I intend to see BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN this weekend also.
I've been warned by many friends that it's very, very sad, but one of the best movies of the year.

And the 2 male leads are rather easy on the eye!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 07:01:35 PM by Iris* »

Michael

« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2006, 07:00:54 PM »

It's possible, too, that Mr Sondheim may not be fond of his off-pitch singing on his Musicals recording.

I have that album when I was on my McGlinn mode.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2006, 07:02:02 PM »

The legendary Maestro!

I've been listening to the 3cd version of Show Boat that he did and that DR Elmoore worked.
Never stop dreaming.

François de Paris

« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2006, 07:03:58 PM »

I've been listening to the 3cd version of Show Boat that he did and that DR Elmoore worked.

Very good, right?!

Cillaliz

« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2006, 07:04:14 PM »

Cillaliz--
I saw MUNICH a few weeks ago, and I couldn't sleep that entire night, it was that disturbing.

Perhaps you should see it early in the day. And....have some brownies waiting when you return home. That, or a large bottle of vodka.

Hmmm, so a double feature of Munich and Kong may be over the top?

Michael

« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2006, 07:04:29 PM »

Since I see dr elmoore on line I have a few questions for him.

Did you appear in the "documentary" about the recording of the recording?
Did you orchestrate Ron Raines' song Gigi on My Favorite  Broadway: The Love Songs.
Have your orchestrations ever appeared on Evening With Pops or any other program?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2006, 07:05:07 PM »

Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2006, 07:06:03 PM »

IMHO one of the very best albums of the last Century DR Michael.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2006, 07:07:04 PM »

I read Lou Rawls also had brain cancer.  So sad, like my cousin he had too many problems at once.

I'm leaning more towards MUNICH this weekend, and I prefer the time it is playing over BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.  I haven't asked Keith what he wants to see.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2006, 07:08:02 PM »

WITHOUT YOU is a great album. As grim as the cover would suggest.

I actually got a chance to ask Roddy about that cover when I met him in Bowling Green, Ohio once. Well, it's not like I thought he would remember that specific photo since the guy was a prolific photog, but I just mentioned that I thought it was great and his reply was, "Oh yes. That's when he was really singing well."

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2006, 07:09:32 PM »

I watched InJustice tonight.  I think it was the pilot.  It's really interesting to see our side of things, at least the way you need to unravel things and figure out what went wrong etc.   It could be an interesting show.   I'm sure it's modeled on the Innocense Project, but the lead attorney isn't anything like the attorneys I know who actually work there - but that's what fiction is...

I get so irritated at this whole Book of Daniel bruhaha. Come on if every legal show had to be acurate, there wouldn't be any on tv. It just isn't that interesting or that dramatic most of the time.  So it may stretch it for most clergy. Get over it.

Jane

« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2006, 07:10:33 PM »

On a lighter note, I used my new dishwasher tonight for the first time.  I have never had a dishwasher with the controls inside and the outside covered with a cabinet front.  The new dishwasher is very quiet and I can’t tell if it has finished drying. ;D

Jane

« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2006, 07:11:37 PM »

Rodzinsky-LOL

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2006, 07:11:38 PM »

I'm a major Cowsills fan. They were wracked with a lot of internal fighting over the last 25 years or so. The Partridge Family was "inspired" by them, and basically producers liked the idea of a mom singing with her  kids in a rock band, but it was clear they couldn't really act.

Don't know if it is available on CD, but should anyone ever run across their semi-conceptual LP CAPTAIN SAD AND HIS SHIP OF FOOLS it is a really fun and lovely record.

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2006, 07:11:59 PM »

If I was feeling a little better I would have gone to MUNICH tonight, but I'm not so I think I'll try for the early afternoon matinee.  I also have to get my car serviced in the morning and find the U-Haul store so I can buy some book boxes and start packing up the basement!...

I'm starting to get excited about decorating a new house.  What fun to start over!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2006, 07:12:40 PM »

On a lighter note, I used my new dishwasher tonight for the first time.  I have never had a dishwasher with the controls inside and the outside covered with a cabinet front.  The new dishwasher is very quiet and I can’t tell if it has finished drying. ;D

LOL

Michael

« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2006, 07:15:57 PM »

It was nominated for best show album in 1988 and in my opinion the best year of nominations.

The winner was Into the Woods.
Show Boat was one of the nominees and can't remember the rest but I think it was some other studio recordings of quality. Back then I would have voted for Show Boat
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2006, 07:22:30 PM »

Did you think of opening it to see if they are dry?

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2006, 07:24:09 PM »

I'm a major Cowsills fan. They were wracked with a lot of internal fighting over the last 25 years or so. The Partridge Family was "inspired" by them, and basically producers liked the idea of a mom singing with her  kids in a rock band, but it was clear they couldn't really act.

Don't know if it is available on CD, but should anyone ever run across their semi-conceptual LP CAPTAIN SAD AND HIS SHIP OF FOOLS it is a really fun and lovely record.

Ok, I will confess.....I used to dance around my room as a kid singing with the Cowsills and imagining  I was part of the group.  Now I did that with several bands back then, but the Cowsills were definitely one of them

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2006, 07:25:15 PM »

Today I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2006, 07:25:36 PM »

I am watching THE HUNTERS...John Gabriel's character just got smashed up and burnt so I think I will skip ahead to Richard Harrison in VENGEANCE!

Jane

« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2006, 07:26:22 PM »

Cillaliz I’m glad you are feeling better.

I appreciate your perspective on IN JUSTICE.  While we found the show interesting, the script and cast didn’t “grab” us.  We have it set again to give it another change.  

MBarnum

« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2006, 07:27:07 PM »

DR Rodsinski, the Hungarian singer sounds interesting? What is his name? Will you be transferring it to CD? If so then you can add that to my stack of CDs that I left in your guest room to copy. (hint, hint, nudge, nudge)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 07:27:46 PM by MBarnum »

Jane

« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2006, 07:28:04 PM »

'night

MBarnum

« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2006, 07:36:08 PM »

Well, back to movie watching...and my Bollywood movie is BOOND JO BAN GAYEE MOTI (1967) starring Jeetendra, Mumtaz, Surendra, Akashdeep, and a many other people with just one name.

It is quite a good movie, by the way, which is nice as this was one of those blind buys...had no clue what the movie was about...it was in front of me and it was cheap, so....

MBarnum

« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2006, 07:37:43 PM »

And the two people on the front cover of the DVD case don't even seem to be in this movie!?

Don't you hate it when that happens?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up