Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEAN AS A WHISTLE  (Read 21142 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:CLEAN AS A WHISTLE
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2006, 05:06:04 PM »

So, my topic for discussion today:  What is your favorite moment from the Winter or Summer Olympics?  Mine was Paul Wylie's no-expectations trip to the 1992 games in Albertville and his silver medal.  I've always thought of 1992 as the last year of figure skating's "innocence," before the Harding-Kerrigan debacle.

My favorite Olympics moment was watching Torville and Dean skate to Ravel's "Bolero."  It was riveting!  I later found out that they had done a wonderful routine to the overture to Mack & Mabel!  Watching that was pretty cool, too, but I don't remember if that was an actual Olympics performance or some other world skating event.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2006, 05:07:47 PM »

Thanks, DR George.  Eyeball vibes--I think that's a first!  LOL!

;D Bear deserves them!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2006, 05:08:25 PM »

It's now time for me to watch "Lost"!!  I can't believe I waited this long!

Danise

« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2006, 05:10:03 PM »

Hi DR Elmore, I've missed you too!

I've tried to sign onto the board in mornings but a lot of times it won't let me--I don't know why.  

Without giving anything away, "Lost" was a good one this week.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »

Oh!  I have other news as well.  A milestone has been reached!

Bonnie just rolled past the ten thousand mile mark on Friday.  

Poor Bear.  I was sooo proud of him when I took him to the vet.  She said that normally they muzzle a dog as big as he is but with him she didn't feel he needed it.  And she was right.  

He took it all in great stride.  Since he was only a month away from his yearly shots, he got all of them.  He didn't cry or growl or anything.  He just sat and took it all.  He really is such a good dog.  

He has to go back the night before my surgery for a recheck.

One bad thing, he had one heck of a time climbing into Bonnie.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2006, 05:24:45 PM »

Danise I think you would have a blast in the snow! I can see you and Elmoore having a snowball fight!

And good health vibes to you, your mom, and Bear!!

MBarnum

« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2006, 05:25:23 PM »

And best of new job vibes for DR Jed!

Danise

« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2006, 05:29:05 PM »

Danise I think you would have a blast in the snow! I can see you and Elmoore having a snowball fight!

And good health vibes to you, your mom, and Bear!!
Thank you, DR MBarnum.  

Humm, a snowball fight right in the middle of Times Square.   :D

GREAT job vibes DR Jed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2006, 05:33:35 PM »

Thank you, DR MBarnum.  

Humm, a snowball fight right in the middle of Times Square.   :D

GREAT job vibes DR Jed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You'd be on your silver skates at Rockefeller Center.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2006, 05:41:33 PM »

I will say that now that I've tried it, I have much more respect for those stars that are doing that "Skating With Celebrities".  

I would be thrilled if I could just  do some of the things they have learned in just one month.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 05:42:04 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2006, 05:43:36 PM »

Hate to say it but I have to go.  I need to lay my clothes out for the morning and get my shower.

The weekend just goes by to fast.

Have a wonderful evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2006, 05:51:55 PM »

Okay, smart hainsies/kimlets researchers - is there anywhere online that one can search an older film to find out where it played in a specific city.  When I wrote the Kritzer books I, of course, remembered what played where and when, but to double check my memory I did go to the downtown library and use microfiche of the Herald-Express newspaper.  But, is there anywhere online where one can do the same thing without having to make the trip?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2006, 06:08:10 PM »

Compared to the last couple of days, I had a quiet workday.  Everyone who wanted to panic over the snowstore did their shopping on Friday or Saturday.  Today, the shoppers were relaxed and fun to be around.

Sorry, I don't have any snow pics.  The storm wasn't all that spectacular around here.  (But the local cardinals sure are red against the snow background!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2006, 06:27:38 PM »

Evening all!

My goodness some people have been very busy with their photo software since we all know there is no such thing as snow!  ;) :D  I still haven't seen it.  

Per our local weatherman, we are in for a "chilly" morning--33 degrees F.  I think you all know my view on that.

We toped out at about 45F while I was out and about today with my coat, hat, scarf and mittens while others were out in shorts!  No kidding.  Shorts!    :o

We're in count down mode (T minus 10 days) for my surgery so I am making every effort to keep myself as heathy as possbile.  

It's been a rough couple of weeks.  Mom fell but is ok then I looked over at Bear the other night and saw his right eye was blood red.  I took him to the vet the next night.  Four hundred dollars later for shots and meds, I think he is going to be ok as well.  His tear duct was blocked.

I hope everyone else is doing well.   :D  

Where are you DR Danise??

Good luck on your surgery and I hope all goes well!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2006, 06:29:46 PM »

Jed and Ann I forgot about the house in Eugene.  It was probably a better stop time wise and of course I wouldn’t want to keep a mother from her child.

Thank Craig for the restaurant suggestion.  It was one of his favorite places.  

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2006, 06:29:48 PM »

Okay, smart hainsies/kimlets researchers - is there anywhere online that one can search an older film to find out where it played in a specific city.  When I wrote the Kritzer books I, of course, remembered what played where and when, but to double check my memory I did go to the downtown library and use microfiche of the Herald-Express newspaper.  But, is there anywhere online where one can do the same thing without having to make the trip?

BK, i fyou know you know the title i can check an online database i have at work... It is a longshot...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2006, 06:32:19 PM »

THis story has to be read to be believed.... Some criminals are not terribly bright....

THis is from the local newspaper in Fargo

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=117394&section=News

College student tries to buy pot at cop shop
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Sunday, February 12, 2006
· advertisement ·

West Fargo Police Officer Ken Zeeb figured it was just a silly college prank when a student phoned the police station looking to score some marijuana.

But the joke was on the student when she actually showed up to buy the pot.

Zeeb arrested 20-year-old Grace Sium of Fargo for criminal attempt and possession of drug paraphernalia at 3:58 a.m. Saturday.

According to Zeeb:

Sium, a junior at North Dakota State University, called the cop shop about 3:15 a.m., wanting to know where she could buy some marijuana.

The dispatcher told her several times that selling and possessing marijuana was illegal.

But Sium insisted, so the dispatcher told her there was marijuana in the evidence locker, and that if she came to the police station he would “hook her up.”

Zeeb had arrived for his 4 a.m. shift about 15 minutes early and was in the station’s locker room when Sium arrived.

“The dispatcher got on the intercom and said, ‘You know what? She’s here. She just handed me $3 for marijuana,’ ” Zeeb said.

Zeeb said Sium didn’t appear to be surprised when he arrested her.

“She didn’t seem like she was really under the influence of drugs or alcohol,” he said. “She understood what was going on and articulated herself well.”

Sium, who is originally from Oakdale, Minn., did not return a phone message left for her Saturday at the Cass County Jail.

Zeeb, a police officer for the past 15 years, said he worked narcotics for 7½ years and has arrested people for trying to buy drugs at a house as it was being searched by police.

But Saturday’s incident was “about the craziest thing I’ve ever come across,” he said.

“This is something that you couldn’t even make up,” he said.

Jane

« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2006, 06:34:34 PM »

My favorite Olympic skating moment: well, I had two.

2. Brian Boitano winning the gold at Calgery with a stunning, perfect program. Again, skating against the defending world champion Brian Orser, the odds weren't in his favor.

I loved that performance!!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2006, 06:37:56 PM »

I loved that performance!!!!

That's my favorite too.

Jane

« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2006, 06:40:52 PM »

Jed and Ann I forgot about the house in Eugene.  It was probably a better stop time wise and of course I wouldn’t want to keep a mother from her child.

It seems Penny also drove past our house without stopping. ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2006, 06:43:19 PM »

The cats did much better last night. It was running and playing - which is much louder with hard wood floors, but they seem a lot happier right now.  Today they discovered that a lot of their favorite things are here and they both saw Chuck the cat through the window.  Much better than night one for both them and me....I had hot water and took a nice hot bubble bath.

Jane

« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »

Ginny yes, Liz Manley’s joy was a joy to watch.

DakotaCelt, Dean and Torvill are incredible.  They were great in 84 and again the time they returned to the Olympics after being reinstated as amateurs.  I never did understand that, but if it was permitted then they should have been judged fairly. IMHO they were cheated out of the Gold that year.

Cillaliz

« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2006, 06:51:48 PM »

I loved Torvill and Dean as well - the guy (I always forget if he's Torvill or Dean) looks like my brother in law!

Danise - GOOD HEATH VIBES to you, your mother and Bear.  I think you'd love the snow. It really brings out the kid in everyone if they let it

Cillaliz

« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2006, 06:53:06 PM »

My favorite snow day was a week!   Back in the late 70s when I was in high school, we had a hige blizzard that caused a 10 foot high drift across the main highway into town. Since the wind and snow didn't stop, school was cancelled for an entire week. It was great

Jane

« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »

George if you ever get to NY you must get your niece marzipan from Bruno’s.  Personally I pass on See’s marzipan.  Friday I picked up a bag of their heart shaped chocolates wrapped in red foil.  They looks pretty sitting out in a jar so I shall have to return for more.  

My favorite See’s candy man gave me a walnut chew bar for my sample since I was in the quick check out line.  I know they had been giving them out as samples but I didn’t see anyone at the main counter line getting any.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 06:57:48 PM by Jane »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2006, 06:57:25 PM »

I would like to know the following: Where did Psycho play in its first run on Hollywood Blvd. and where did The Magnificent Seven play in its first run on Hollywood Blvd.  Or, even better, what was playing at the Vogue Theater anytime between April and September of 1960.

Jane

« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2006, 07:03:24 PM »

I’m enjoying all of the snow photos-thanks. :)

Vixmom did you make the Shepard’s pie to compliment your English breakfast?

GOOD VIBES FOR BEAR!!

Jed have a very good Monday.

DakotaCelt Danise lives in Florida.  

Jane

« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2006, 07:06:31 PM »

I loved Torvill and Dean as well - the guy (I always forget if he's Torvill or Dean) looks like my brother in law!

Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean.  You might enjoy reading their autobiography.

Jane

« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2006, 07:08:35 PM »

Best snow day was really a snow night.  The boys and I went sledding with a friend and her children one beautiful evening during a full moon.  

'night.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2006, 07:09:49 PM »

It's been a good day, and BLEAK HOUSE gets more intense:  26 minutes into the episode, there occurred the most heartwrtenching moment yet.  Did I miss whatever happened to the boy Jo with the smallpox?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up