Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 1776  (Read 19203 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:1776
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »

RE THE CLOSER, I don't think you get TNT so the only way you can see it is on the DVD set of Season 1. Highly recommended by quite a few folks here.

2. TIFFANY'S has a much cleaner new transfer than the last one. BK didn't think they got the flesh tones right. Overall, it's just fine.

3. Yes, I have ROMAN HOLIDAY on DVD. I assume it's still available.

Now I need to go back to Target tomorrow and get Tiffany's.

I will look for Roman Holiday.  

Any idea when the release for the new transfer of Double Indemnity is?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2006, 08:35:51 PM »

Page 5 dance!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2006, 08:35:56 PM »

I adore Audrey Hepburn. I don't have every one of her films (haven't broken down and gotten HOW TO STEAL A MILLION yet), but I have most of her major successes, and I even have some of the bombs (PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2006, 08:37:10 PM »

Any idea when the release for the new transfer of Double Indemnity is?

I've seen the date, but it didn't stick with me. Maybe I'll see it later tonight when I go surfing.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2006, 08:38:32 PM »

I adore Audrey Hepburn. I don't have every one of her films (haven't broken down and gotten HOW TO STEAL A MILLION yet), but I have most of her major successes, and I even have some of the bombs (PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES).

How to Steal a Million was the first one I saw. My grandmother was very fond of her.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »

Coming in October is a Warners box called the Classics Collection. It will contain:

DAVID COPPERFIELD

A TALE OF TWO CITIES

MARIE ANTOINETTE

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (this will not be music to DR Elmore's ears).

I am thrilled about TWO CITIES and COPPERFIELD. They are great favorites of mine.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2006, 08:40:12 PM »

I did break dwon and buy Shakespeare in Love.

I will warn you the transfer of Miracle with Kurt Russell is terrible. The audio track is off in several spots and it does not match what they are saying. I found that surprising especially since Disney was part of the project.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2006, 08:41:34 PM »

Audrey has made so many wonderful films, I'd be hard pressed to say which is my favorite. Among them:

CHARADE

THE NUN'S STORY

TWO FOR THE ROAD

SABRINA

TIFFANY'S

MY FAIR LADY

WAIT UNTIL DARK

FUNNY FACE
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 08:43:16 PM by Matt H. »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2006, 08:42:11 PM »

Coming in October is a Warners box called the Classics Collection. It will contain:

DAVID COPPERFIELD

A TALE OF TWO CITIES

MARIE ANTOINETTE

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (this will not be music to DR Elmore's ears).

I am thrilled about TWO CITIES and COPPERFIELD. They are great favorites of mine.

I got the BBC version of Pride adn Prejudice as a thank you for helping someone with a project. Instead of paying me, he asked what movies I liked and bought me several DVDs.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »

My favorite is Tiffanys but I also like Sabrina and Funny Face. Her eyes were always sparkling and she had a gentle ease and mischief but never let on. I loved her presence on the screen. My grandmother liked Tiffany's also.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2006, 08:44:49 PM »

Yes, that BBC P&P is THE greatest. I adore it.

I'm sure I'll get that Classics Collection boxed set, and I watch the 1940 P&P with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. I have only vague memories of it, but it couldn't surpass the gorgeous detail and depth of the BBC version.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2006, 08:45:26 PM »

STill debating if I want to get Midsummer's night's dream with Michelle Pfieffer and Johnny Dep... Not a huge fan of his so I am wary of getting it. NOt sure if I want to see my favorite Shakespearean play slaughtered.

FJL

« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2006, 08:46:23 PM »

Back from BB KIngs and the Beatles Strawberry Fields tribute.  Extremely entertaining. especially in the second act, even more entertaining than I remember Beatlemania being oh so many years ago.  Particular kudos went to a singer named Billy Ray, who played Paul McCartney and did a stunning "Til There Was You" among many highlights.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2006, 08:46:48 PM »

Yes, that BBC P&P is THE greatest. I adore it.

I'm sure I'll get that Classics Collection boxed set, and I watch the 1940 P&P with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. I have only vague memories of it, but it couldn't surpass the gorgeous detail and depth of the BBC version.

The BBC version is so well done and the costuming is excellent. Very well done. I also love the book by Jane Austen. I have a very dog eared copy...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2006, 08:47:28 PM »

Adam Bede from the BBC is another excellent movie as was the Silas Marner adaptation

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2006, 08:48:23 PM »

There have been very few BBC programs I have been disappointed with and the most recent one was Warrior Queen.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2006, 08:49:38 PM »

Sounds like you had a splendid evening FJL...

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2006, 08:54:05 PM »

I ended up seeing a fireworks show after all.  I live about 4 blocks from the Country Club and they put on a show every year.  I didn't see it advertised anywhere, so I thought maybe it was off this year, but round about dark I heard the booms so I went up the hill a block or so and joined my neighbors. Including 2 little girls who kept jumping up and down yelling "FIREWORKS!!!!"  It made it all worthwhile

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2006, 08:55:41 PM »

It was a long day on the cat front.  Last time I let Callie get close to Bootsie's door she did one of those low howls and went at the door swinging.   So, we're done seeing each other for today.  I shut Cal in and let Boo run around a little tonight, but the fireworks upset them both, so I'm trying to keep things as calm and quiet as possible for the rest of the night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2006, 08:57:08 PM »

I think my AC is working.  The humidity went down, which helps, but the guy I talked to who said it was frozen and all I could do was shut it off until Wednesday (fat chance of that) also mentioned it may not be getting enough air.  So I went out and bought one of those really cheap filters that lets a lot more air through and it really made a difference.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2006, 08:57:27 PM »

Ok, can we make it to page 6?

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2006, 08:58:19 PM »

The fireworks were especially nice this year.  I didn't remember them being as nice the only other year I stayed here.  I think it's because the air is dry and there is no wind at all

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2006, 08:58:58 PM »

STill debating if I want to get Midsummer's night's dream with Michelle Pfieffer and Johnny Dep... Not a huge fan of his so I am wary of getting it. NOt sure if I want to see my favorite Shakespearean play slaughtered.

I wasn't aware that Johnny Depp was in A Midsummer's Night Dream.  What part does he play, Dakota?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »

I also watched a bit of all the July 4th shows on TV.  Just think what you could do with all them money that was spent on fireworks....ok, never mind...they are pretty

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2006, 08:59:53 PM »

I didn't find the release date for the new DOUBLE INDEMNITY, but seems like it's coming some time this summer.

The 1934 TREASURE ISLAND is the fifth classic included in that boxed set I mentioned above.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2006, 09:01:03 PM »

Much booming from across the road. I at a giant pancake and fell asleep - I feel like I was drugged or something. A pancake??? Krusteaz instant, add water and an egg. Sheesh. I feel so wobbly. Just not used to such a carb blast or something. Won't do that again!

And now for some tea and a good sleep-it-off sleep. Golly.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2006, 09:02:02 PM »

I'm heading for bed now. I hope the folks who are still firing off their fireworks will tone it down soon. So tedious after awhile.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:02 PM »

Boy, oh, BOY! did I love DOUBLE INDEMNITY!! I haven't seen that flick in some long time - I would love to see it again!!! Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck!!! I haven't even thought of that movie for ages. Now I'm gonna have to rent it.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:33 PM »

OK - good night, Matt. Have happy dreams.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »

And off I go, too. Niteynite, y'all.
PennyO
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up