Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CEREAL KILLER  (Read 13212 times)

Michael

Re:THE CEREAL KILLER
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2004, 07:58:44 AM »

here is a list of breakfast cereals that were available during the 80's

http://www.inthe80s.com/cereal.shtml
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2004, 07:59:39 AM »

DR Jrand wrote: "didn't BB OF 1938 also feature Leif Erickson?  Married at that time of course to Frances Farmer...."

Yep, he was in it looking very hunky indeed, but his and Dorothy Lamour's romance was not much to write home about - very sedate.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2004, 08:12:43 AM »

Thanks for all the ratm info. I got there no problem once I knew what the acronym ratm stood for, which bk posted late last night.
I'm waiting for Adelphia. The men in boots for the AC are already here. The "men" seem to be about 15 and do not speak English. The wonderdog is not crazy about the boys in boots. An exciting morning around the home environment.  ...I vant to be alone.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2004, 08:28:57 AM »

We're not too big on cereals.

I've a hunch I'd stick with the oldies, if I were.  Cheerios, Corn Flakes, that sort of thing.

I've heard Corn Flakes make a good breading for fried chicken.  Something tells me Cheerios wouldn't be as good in that job, too large and round.  It would be like eating a drumstick with tiny oaty tires attached to it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2004, 08:46:50 AM »

My question for ASK BK day, was there a toy that you truly, truly wanted when you were a lad, but never received....or one that you got and truly, truly became your favorite....even when you think about it today?

I got most of the toys I really wanted.  There was a nifty car toy that I loved and think about quite often - I'm sure it was lame, but it was the steering wheel and dashboard, with all the little guages, and some kind of diorama you set up so it looked like you were driving on the street.  Loved that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2004, 08:52:33 AM »

Question For BK- I saw "What If?" last week on Monday.  I found it very funny, but I was also greatly touched by two of the ballads.  One was "Millions Of Men" sung by Paul Haber and the other was "Simply" performed by Tammy Minoff.  Since it was your very first public performance, understandably there were no programs.  My question is who wrote these beautiful songs and how/where did you find them?

I'm so glad you were touched by the songs.  One of the little criticisms that's been consistent is that critics don't understand why we have any material like that in the show - why we do material that in their minds is superfluous to the What If theme of the show.  But we state quite clearly in the opening number our mantra: What if we do whatever we want?  Old-fashioned revues did this - they just did funny stuff, moving stuff, whatever worked, especially to show off the performers.  Critics today don't even know what an old-fashioned revue IS.  But the audiences seem to "get" what we're doing and that's the most important thing.  

To the question: Millions of Men is by Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones.  It's a song they wrote as a candidate for I Do! I Do!, although it was never even considered for the show ultimately.  Until Harvey sent it to me, no one had ever heard it.  I fell in love with it instantly, and when I had dinner with him when he was here for the Pasadena Playhouse tribute I told him we'd be doing it and both he and Tom were thrilled about it.

Simply is by me and is actually from my stage adaptation of The First Nudie Musical.  I hadn't thought about it for the revue, but Tammy remembered my playing it for her a year ago and she really wanted to sing it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2004, 08:57:26 AM »

I have a similar question, what are your favorite board games, both now and as a child?

Monopoly as a kid, Scrabble now.  My brother and I used to also play some kind of baseball game that was very enjoyable.  I remember what the board looked like and have tried to find it on eBay but have had no luck.  I do have the amazing Franklin Mint Scrabble and Monopoly sets.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2004, 08:59:13 AM »

Stop me if you heard this one:

A blonde calls her boyfriend on the phone and says, "Sweetie, can you come over and help me with this jigsaw puzzle I bought today?  It's real hard!"

The boyfriend asks, "What's the picture on the box?" and the blonde replies, "Well, it's supposed to be a picture of a rooster, but all the pieces are the same color and none of them seem to fit together.  Could you come over and help me please?"

The boyfriend rushes to the blonde's apartment.  She leads him to the dining room.  

"I've spread out all the pieces on the dining room table," she says.

The boyfriend takes one look at the table and says...

"Honey, let's put the corn flakes back in the box."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2004, 09:00:35 AM »

I shall be E&T all day, alas.  Tasks related to job search and volunteering at my synagogue and, yes, a theatre engagement (Oscar Wilde's Salome) will keep me away until late this evening.  

Do keep the home fries burning, though, you lovely, lovely (that is two lovelys) people out there in the dark.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2004, 09:03:03 AM »

Dan TM - As a blonde, I protest!

Panni

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2004, 09:05:56 AM »

Jay - I read your post quickly (as dumb blondes often do) and thought they were doing Salome at your synagogue. An interesting thought. "Dansssssse, Salome, danssssse.... But first eat a little something, you're skin and bones."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2004, 09:09:18 AM »

I'm waiting for Adelphia. The men in boots for the AC are already here. The "men" seem to be about 15 and do not speak English. The wonderdog is not crazy about the boys in boots. An exciting morning around the home environment.  ...I vant to be alone.

"Veuillez me montrer où est votre climatiseur?"

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2004, 09:10:28 AM »

Dan TM - As a blonde, I protest!

Also as a blonde, I say, "But you are on the other side."
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2004, 09:14:44 AM »

Sugar Crisps is now called Golden Crisps?  Noooo!!!!

That was my favorite cereal when I was a kid.  My parents would not buy it.  But my grandmother would.  And whenever we went to sleep over there, it would be our special treat.

Okay that made me really sad, cause it's been like ten years since my grandma died. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2004, 09:18:56 AM »

My favorite cereal now is Honey Nut Cornflakes.

So far I'm reading that 80s cereal list and most of them don't seem familiar.

One other cereal I used to like according to the list was called Frankenberry.  It had yummy pink marshmellows.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2004, 09:22:37 AM »

Oh btw, I think Honey Nut Corn Flakes also has a different name now.  Something like Honey N Nut Crunch.  But I like the old name better.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2004, 09:24:08 AM »

Does Chex Mix count as a cereal? If so, then that's my favorite.

We are not allowed to have Raisin Bran in the house because of a little incident involving my mom and a box of buggy Raisin Bran. That was really gross.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2004, 09:33:26 AM »

Oh, and when I was little, I really really wanted Legos. My brother had a whole lot, but he would never let me play with them. Sometimes I would steal a handful and play with them in my room until my brother caught me and took them back.

And last Christmas, I got two sets of Harry Potter Legos and I was so excited! And, if you remember, I was cleaning out my closet and found a plastic tub full of my brother's old Legos from before we switched rooms. At last! I have lots of Legos!!

We didn't have much luck playing board games as a family. I remember playing Yahtzee once when we were camping, but none of us knew how to play, so we were really just throwing dice around. And we played Clue a few times. We lost the Miss Scarlet piece and replaced it with a red golf tee from the campground's goofy golfing course.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2004, 09:59:23 AM »

Yes, Viriginia, I, like Santa Claus, do exist, but evidently, also like Santa, I only appear once a year!

BK:  so glad you appeared on RATM again.  I knew if I mentioned your absence, you would miraculously return.  Also, Cissy sent me the Wechter Tribute video--it's great fun.  Why don't you record their musical?

Could all who are coming to our house this weekend for the NW HHW get-together PLEASE RSVP me ASAP (my that's several acronyms in a row, isn't it?).  Could y'all let me know when you will be showing up and if you understand the directions that were emailed to you.  Please remember I will be at the Tigard Pops Choir concert until at least 12:30 or so.

RSVP with arrival time to:  jmkauffman@aol.com
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2004, 10:02:30 AM »

My cousin and I used to play The Game of Life a lot, but we changed some of the rules.  Once a game was over, you would divorce your wife.  Then you would spin the wheel to determine who got the children (by calling odd or even on each spin.)  Then you went around the board again, getting married again and getting more children, and once more divorcing and spinning off the kids.  Somehow or other, alimony and child support were involved but I forget how that worked.  The fun part was in trying to pack all your kids into one car.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2004, 10:06:09 AM »

Stephen Newport seems to be an idiot savant.  He has a lot of theatrical trivia at his fingertips.  He also seems to have nothing else in life but r.a.t.m.   He posts constantly, incessantly and ad nauseum.

He seems to believe r.a.t.m. is his personal playground and comments upon ever single thing anyone says.

He has even been the dominant contributor to a thread -- first posing a thought or question, then answering it, then countering it.  It's like he's four or five different personalities totally out of control.

He might seriously benefit from being strongly bitch-slapped every 30 minutes for a month.

I'm all up for that!  But I would prefer it was done every month.  I'll volunteer for the first two shifts.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 10:11:08 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2004, 10:13:07 AM »

Catching up from yesterday. Happy belated Birthday S Woody White.
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2004, 10:25:41 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2004, 10:29:28 AM »

I'm back. My server was down (sounds like a kinky butler) but it now seems to be working.

Michael

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2004, 10:30:21 AM »

Belated welcome wishes to Beckon.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 10:36:55 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2004, 10:31:20 AM »

From yesterday radio.

CBC----Cross Country Check Up
            Gilmor's Albums
             Metropolitian Opera
             Sunday morning newsmagazine shows
             PEter Czowski
             CBC's "drive home"
             Any Radio Drama
             17 Blocks of Broadway (I was a guest on it once)
            funny You Should Say That (my father did some writing for it)

CBC overnight plays programming from other public radio station. When I had insomina it was a pleasure to listen to

In Montreal  CJAD worked on two shows there in the late 80's/early 90's. They had interesting over nighters that played old time radio.

CFCF when they had the baseball and hockey games. I worked for their TV arm. But the station eventually went downhill.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 10:36:25 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2004, 10:42:29 AM »

Michael Shayne - I loved Gilmour's Albums, too. Do you remember when Bruno Gerussi had a show on CBC radio? Really liked that. And as I mentioned yesterday, Gzowski was wonderful.

Panni

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2004, 10:55:36 AM »

The saga continues - The boss of the Boys in Boots is a man in boots and looks like Anthony LaPaglia (except for the tattoos that cover both his muscular arms). What's unusual for someone like him is that he smells REALLY good - some kind of cologne or aftershave, I guess. (Before you run with this, all you lovely people out there in the dark, I know how he smells because my guesthouse is very tiny and he came in to test the thermostat.)
Everything seems to be working fine and they've left. Adelphia just showed up. Busy times.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 11:09:21 AM by Panni »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2004, 10:59:46 AM »

Dr, Laura:  That photo is WONderful!  Where did you find such a wealth of turtles?

Is this in the wild???????
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 10:59:59 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2004, 11:12:52 AM »

Cereal?  Then and now:  Lucky Charms...when the only marshmallows that they had were only Pink hearts, yellow moons, blue stars and green clovers...and that's it!  Now, I also really like Honey Nut Cherrio's. ;D

As for a toy that I "truly, truly wanted when you were a lad, but never received?"  If there were such a thing for me, I've forgotten about it. :-\

My favorite board games as a child were and still are (because my family still plays them) Sorry, Aggravation and Monopoly.  Monopoly, however, is only played when we KNOW we have a lot of time.  Between everyone in the family, we probably have five different Monopoly games.  The average one, the Star Wars edition, a reproduction of the original 1930s one, a local knock-off called "Oly-opoly" and at least one other.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up