Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CEREAL KILLER  (Read 13212 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE CEREAL KILLER
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2004, 06:06:55 PM »

Oh, Elmer Bernstein....oh...oh....

I used some of his music from TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD in my stage production of ON BORROWED TIME.....

And then of course THE CARPETBAGGERS and WALK ON THE WILD SIDE and TRUE GRIT!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2004, 06:07:12 PM »

I don't think I can dance right now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2004, 06:08:45 PM »

This has been a CRAPPY year for film music fans.  First, Jerry Goldsmith, then Piero Piccioni, and next David Raksin.

Today, the sad news is that Elmer Bernstein, dean of film music composers, has passed away.

Bernstein was nominated for his last Academy Award two years ago for "Far From Heaven" (a score for which he should have won the Oscar, IMO).

He began his film career in the early 50s, but in 1955-566 he scored two major films:  "The Man With The Golden Arm" and "The Ten Commandments."  Since then, Bernstein has contributed tremendously vibrant film scores for a wide variety of films, most notably the poignant, elegant and heartbreakingly beautiful "To Kill A Mockingbird."  He was known for his western scores, as well, including "The Magnificent Seven"  which featured a theme that is one of the definitive pieces of western music everyone knows well when they hear it (right up there with Jerome Moross' "The Big Country").  Many of you will recognize the next theme:  He penned the theme music for "National Geographic Presents"!  And if you're old enough to remember those David L. Wolper TV specials of the 1960s, you may recall that bittersweet, elegant theme to "Hollywood and the Stars" (available on a recording "Bernstein By Bernstein" featuring the RPO Pops orchestra).

Recordings of his scores attest to the rich legacy and unique voice Elmer Bernstein contributed to film.  My favorites include "Hawaii," "Sons of Katie Elder" and "Rambling Rose."   He even dipped his toe in the Broadway musical pool, writing the music for "How Now Dow Jones."  Additionally, he wrote incidental music for the 1954-55 stage production of "Peter Pan" and the 1983 production of "Merlin." He won an Oscar for his underscore to the musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie" in 1967.

As I said, it's been a CRAPPY year, and I refuse to even think about how much worse it could get.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 07:21:46 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2004, 06:11:55 PM »

Yes, forgot about Katie Elder - wonderful score - I'm ashamed to say I like it better than The Magnificent Seven.  And, of course, The Carpetbaggers.  Brilliant.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2004, 06:12:07 PM »

And isn't it absolutely strange that Bernstein should have won his only Oscar for the rather undistinguished (relatively speaking) UNDERSCORE for Thoroughly Modern Millie?  I mean, that's just plain peculiar.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2004, 06:14:49 PM »

Our new speakers have been installed and I must go to the theater to hear them, test them, and then set new levels, if needed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2004, 06:16:33 PM »

There is something in every Bernstein score that captures my fancy/imagination.  Such a wealth of talent, even through his 80th year.

He resurrected what might have been a fading film career in the 1980s by tackling the "Airplane" movies and then doing "Ghostbusters."  These movies did not require "major" film scores, and they were riddled with "pop" music that was handled by someone else...but he endeared himself to a new generation of film directors and got some plum assignments in the 80s and 90s because of it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 07:18:07 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2004, 06:23:24 PM »

And isn't it absolutely strange that Bernstein should have won his only Oscar for the rather undistinguished (relatively speaking) UNDERSCORE for Thoroughly Modern Millie?  I mean, that's just plain peculiar.

I have BEGGED folks to point out just where in the film the "original" score is located.  Everything sounds like standards or Cahn to me.  WHERE is the underscore that is unique to Elmer, I have always asked/pondered/wondered.

No one has ever been able to say, "That bit of music under this scene...or that one...that's original score!"

No one.  Ever.

Most peculiar!

JMK

« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2004, 06:27:56 PM »

That's exactly what I'm talking about!!  It was easily the strangest music Oscar pre-Eminem, IMHO.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2004, 06:31:36 PM »

Bogie is hiding from me so I decided to read the paper.  To my amazement on the front page is Haines his way:

http://www.dailytidings.com/2004/0818/081804n2.shtml

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2004, 06:33:32 PM »

The young and very talented musician nephew of a friend has just come to Hollywood from Canada, having won a scholarship of some kind, part of which included being mentored by Elmer Bernstein.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2004, 06:33:46 PM »

RLP you write very nice tributes.

Bruce I hope the sound system is more than you hoped for.

Panni

« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2004, 06:35:21 PM »

Bogie is hiding from me so I decided to read the paper.  To my amazement on the front page is Haines his way:

After all this sad news, a much needed laugh, Jane!

JMK

« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2004, 06:39:23 PM »

The young and very talented musician nephew of a friend has just come to Hollywood from Canada, having won a scholarship of some kind, part of which included being mentored by Elmer Bernstein.

My very sick and twisted sense of humor has a few punchlines for this sad circumstance, but I shall contain myself out of respect for the recently departed.

JMK

« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2004, 06:45:28 PM »

DRs Jane & Panni (and any other DRs who haven't seen it):   If that made you laugh, you simply must drop by my site and find the cleverly hidden Bruce Kimmel related Afikomen (well, it couldn't be an Easter Egg considering our cultural heritage, could it?).  Here's a clue:  go to my site.  Scroll to the bottom of the first page, and click on the "But, wait, you also get..." link.  That will take you to the second page.  There you will find a very becoming (becoming what, I don't know) picture of Bruce at Jerry's in Encino.  If you were to perchance click on that picture, you might get a little surprise.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2004, 06:52:25 PM »

Your directions were excellent JMK. Found the "Egg". I know where to ask for directions when I am in Portland next year. (Hopefully about this time).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2004, 06:59:14 PM »

Yes, very good directions.  Then I shouldn't get lost going from my son's place to Jeff's. :-\  

Panni Keith and I also had a much needed laugh at the headline. :D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2004, 07:18:26 PM »

Also as a blonde, I say, "But you are on the other side."

BTW (internet lingo!), DR Panni, it struck me that the above might have been taken the wrong way.  It's a punchline to another blonde joke:

A brunette and a blonde were on opposite sides of a river, and the brunette calls out, "How do you get to the other side?"  And the blonde shouts back, "But you are on the other side."

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2004, 07:32:51 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm reading... I'm reading...

I'll be posting...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2004, 07:34:57 PM »

Sad to hear about Elmer Bernstein's passing.  I don't think I ever played any of his classical piano compositions myself, but I do know that many of them got frequent "airplay" in countless recitals and competitions over the years.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2004, 07:47:43 PM »

Thank You (?) DR JMK for sharing the news about the passing of our very own DR Dennis Clancy.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2004, 07:51:15 PM »

I didn't know Dennis Clancy, but it's always sad to hear of someone who's died so young. My condolences to his family and friends.

Panni

« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2004, 08:11:16 PM »

I wouldn't normally do this, but this is one group I think most DRs support...
I got a notice from BROADWAY CARES/EQUITY FIGHTS AIDS that they now have their own credit card. It has no annual fee, a higher-than-average credit line, and all sorts of good bonuses. And, of course, it's for a great cause.
If you're interested, call 1-877- 518-9007. (Mention priority code KD7X.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2004, 08:19:16 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I finished my "project" at the music store today, and, for now I'm done.  But I'm sure I'll be back there as a customer a couple of times in the next few weeks, and there's still a good possibility that I'll be back as a clerk too.  We shall see.

As I mentioned before, I had a good time being back in the retail music biz.  And there were even a few times today when I was able to help out a few customers with their searches.  -I guess I really do have a sort of photographic memory of sorts since I was able to remember where certain items were placed - and I had only really given the store a once over, once.  -Well, you know what I mean.

I've been taking the past couple of hours to check in on things back home, as well get some laundry done.  The windows are open, and the evening air is breezing through them right now.  Very nice.  -Apparently, LA is going through a "cool wave" right now.  Meanwhile, back home in Richmond, besides dealing with record rainfalls and humidity levels, the temps are back to "normal" for this time of the year - mid-90s.  Ugh.  Ah, well...

I was watching the Olympics, but now I've switched over to PBS where they're rebroadcasting the American Masters program on Julia Child.  And there's a "Family Guy" marathon on right now too, and I'll probably switch over to them after this program is over.

*And I the L.A. Times appreciation of Julia Child is titled "Missing Child".  Hmmm... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2004, 08:19:53 PM »

Dear Jose:

I'se a-hopin' yer curren' lodgin'-mates unnerstan' 'bou hows that Alton Brown show, "Good Eats," is importan' t' yer well-bein', 'cause t'night's show is all 'bout that essenshul grub, chili.

Them fellers, they've cooked up a funny one, what with Alton and his pardners not to be seen for the whole show.  'Stead, we got Gus 'n Rusty, and some feller called the Stranger whose got soft skin, tellin' us 'bout how real chili is made.  'N they get most've the stuff right, but I've got real chills goin' up 'n down my spine when they start talkin' 'bout usin' a dang contrapshun called a "pressure cooker."  Sound' French t'me.

Figgered yuh'd like to know 'bout the show.

Best from this side of th' range - Woody
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2004, 08:21:33 PM »

What a terrible loss in Elmer bernstein. I think TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is one of the true genius scores ever written, so perfect for the film it was written for.

Sad indeed!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2004, 08:26:42 PM »

After I watched some of the extras on the second disc in the YANKEE DOODLE DANDY set, I watched NUTS. The transfer was merely serviceable. I guess Barbra had some of her shots difused to make her more attractive, but they just look soft on my TV.

No clue what DVD tomorrow may bring.

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2004, 08:30:33 PM »

I suspect the Academy members who voted Bernstein the Oscar for MILLIE probably thought he had a hand in the title song. I've always thought the title song (that he didn't write) had a great deal to do with Alfred Newman's winning the Oscar for LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING. Not that the score isn't wonderful, but I think the title song was a strong incentive to vote him an Oscar for ALL the music.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2004, 09:22:15 PM »

Almost at page six...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up