Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING BRAZILIAN  (Read 27190 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: WAXING BRAZILIAN
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 07:38:05 AM »

Good morning, all! Since my adopted son Josh cancelled on me this morning, I slept in and didn't get out of bed untill 9 am.  Last night, before watchng PSYCH, I rearranged some of the furniture and I'm much happier with the look of the apartment. The man objective was to cut down any comfortable guest space so that, next time I'm visited by DR MBarnum, if the weather's too lousy on the fire escape and I decide to let him sleep elsewhere, he has to sleep standing up next to my filng cabinets.

I forgot about MONK at 9 and I missed most of it. That was a bummer because Steve Zahn was the guest star and I think he's a hoot.  As for PSYCH, I love the series, but I thought the episode was a lesser effort.

Today, my walk and a lot of Frank Loesser. Hopefully, my friend Chris will show up later and show me how to deal with this Lacie hard drive, which is nothing like my old one!

TOD:
   The Gary Moore Show
   The Bell Telephone Hour
   The Ed Sullivan Show
   The Carol Burnett Show

Just a litttle reminder, DR Elmore. USA does rerun MONK and PSYCH during the early morning hours after their original 9 and 10 p.m. airings. And they'll repeat them during the week at odd times, too, so if you have a DVR/Tivo, check the listings for MONK, and I'll bet you find it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 07:38:18 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 07:38:51 AM »

I love Amahl and the Night Visitors - we used to put it on every year (for a whole 3 years) between Thanksgiving and Xmas. What a wonderful opera. I miss it!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 07:39:06 AM »

Good morning!

A beautiful morning thus far though they're predicting rain for later in the day. Doesn't look like it now, but things can change quickly. Cold, of course, but it's January so it's supposed to be cold.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 07:40:18 AM »

Singdaw, are you singing Balthazar? One time, by accident (I guess) we had cast three black singers as the 3 Kings ... "Mother, there are 3 kings... and all of them are black!"
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 07:42:36 AM »

BK,

DR Ron Pulliam did quote my only reference to Linda Purl during the three days I was working on MATLOCK. The next time you see her, I'd be curious to know why she left the show. Did she not like the working hours? (Hour long dramas typically have nightmarish shooting schedules of 12-16 hour days) Did she not get along with Andy? Did she not feel she was being paid enough? Was it tedious playing the same character week after week? Curious minds want to know if you don't think it would be a sore spot to mention to her.

I watched MATLOCK during the first season, and remember liking her and being surprised when she didn't show up the second year. (I stopped watching regularly after that first year.)

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 07:43:22 AM »

The tenor who sang Caspar for us twice is 6'4 - we put him in a huge tall hat with peacock feathers - he was about 8 feet tall by the time he got onstage. On "Oh, little boy, oh, little boy" he slowly picked up the kid and lifted him to eye-to-eye height -- very sinister. It was great fun!!!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 07:45:04 AM »

Today I start work on WALKER, TEXAS RANGER, Season 6. Having reviewed the last season, I remember the episodes are filled with fights and chases which make every episode seem so similar. It's also 23 episodes, but they have shorter run times than MATLOCK of ten years earlier, so I should be able to do them more quickly.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 07:46:06 AM »

Guess who got to sing the Mother??? Quartet was my favorite part of the show. Four voices building, great harmonies, Penny screaming a high A over the top... magic.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »

Matt - this is quite a duet!!!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »

I see the pay cable channels have some movie premieres on. HITMAN on HBO-HD (not interested) while THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL on Starz! which I'll probably record (though when I'd get the chance to watch it is another matter.)

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 07:48:54 AM »

Matt - this is quite a duet!!!

Isn't it though! I sing bass, BTW!  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 07:52:50 AM »

I can understand about the voices on THE DARK KNIGHT. Christian Bale's Batman voice has been processed to make it lower and raspier sounding and Heath Ledger's accent as the Joker is also very quirky and unusual. I don't remember having any trouble with anyone else's voice during the film. I will say, though, that the DVD quality reviews for THE DARK KNIGHT were rather scathing as I recall. Poor audio processing on the regular DVD may account for some of the problems you're having, though that's just a guess. The Blu-ray had terrific sound processing.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 07:58:21 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  The weather is horrible here in SW Ohio today, freezing rain that they say will turn to snow later.  This would be a work Saturday for me and I'm so glad not to have to deal with it anymore.  I suppose eventually I'll lose track of my former work schedule - wonder how long that will take?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Miss Karen

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 08:08:31 AM »

Topic of the Day:  One of the best variety shows is and always will be "The Carol Burnett Show." ;D

DOUBLE DITTO!!!!  So many great sketches, especially the "Went With the Wind" parody.

Triple DITTO!!! My favorite! (The "Sorry" game sketch, too.)

I also remember enjoying The Smothers Brothers, The Dean Martin Show, The Red Skelton Hour, and The Sonny and Cher Show (I always liked her character in the leopard skin jumpsuit, winged glasses and beehive hairdo).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 08:22:13 AM »

I am regular.

Do we get to vote on that?    ;)

[ I should talk, right?  :) ]

Uh....let's just go with the consensus of the quorum.

My vote on singdaw is that he's "irregular".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 08:26:43 AM »

TOD:

THE CAROL BURNETTE SHOW
ROWAN & MARTIN'S LAUGH-IN
THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW
THE ANDY WILLIAMS SHOW (the one with the bear)
THE SONNY & CHER SHOW
THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS COMEDY HOUR
THE MUPPET SHOW
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (first five seasons)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 08:27:11 AM »

BK,

DR Ron Pulliam did quote my only reference to Linda Purl during the three days I was working on MATLOCK. The next time you see her, I'd be curious to know why she left the show. Did she not like the working hours? (Hour long dramas typically have nightmarish shooting schedules of 12-16 hour days) Did she not get along with Andy? Did she not feel she was being paid enough? Was it tedious playing the same character week after week? Curious minds want to know if you don't think it would be a sore spot to mention to her.

I watched MATLOCK during the first season, and remember liking her and being surprised when she didn't show up the second year. (I stopped watching regularly after that first year.)

I remember thinking the same things.  It was really annoying, in a way, that each season seemed to feature a  new "junior Matlock female associate" role over the years.  IIRC, even Shawn Weatherly, a former Miss Universe from South Carolina, gave it a go (oof!). 

I'd be amazed if Griffin had issues with any of them.  I don't recall more than a handful of episodes in which that character had  anything challenging to do, though, so it may have simply been a matter of the ladies finding something more substantial being offered to them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 08:29:31 AM »

Applause for DR George:

It takes cojones, IMO, to boldly state one is ending a Friday by watching "Regis and Kelly".   And in the last post of the day, too!!!

:D

FJL

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 08:36:45 AM »

Time Warner Cable came through and, after we called again late last night to see if they had any appointment cancellations before next Tuesday or wednesday, actually found an appointment for this (Saturday) morning.  So I must now go and catch up on posts since late Thursday night.

Miss Karen

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »

I agree with bk about having trouble hearing a lot of the dialogue in Dark Knight -- but considering DR Matt H's comments, I didn't see it at a theater -- just on DVD here at home, so maybe it is in the audio processing 

SPOILER OPINION ALERT for bk since I don't want to taint his viewing pleasure of Dark Knight:

(I know I'm in the minority compared to the critics and general public, but I didn't like the movie.  I felt there was no chemistry between Maggie/Christian and Maggie/Aaron and it hurt what was supposed to be at the core of a lot of the males' actions and motivations.  But that's just me saying ....)

FJL

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2009, 08:39:40 AM »

People - including my parents - say "well, what did you do before the internet and e-mail?"  But we live in an age where people expect you to check your e-mail from time to time and to be able to act on that e-mail, so unless someone lives in a vacuum, the internet has changed expectations of others, so it's not just a matter of making believe you're living in the pre-internet time for several days.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2009, 08:40:21 AM »

I only dimly remember seeing them on our home screen when I was a youngen, but now I'm a huge fan of THE BELL TELEPHONE HOUR and THE KRAFT MUSIC HALL through the commercially released dvds and private collectors tapes I've seen.  There's just something about the way these shows look and sound that appeals to me. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2009, 08:41:10 AM »

Famous (?) line from the play MONEY TALKS, memorably spoken by Helen Gallagher:  "Nature abhors a vacuum, and so does my cleaning lady."

FJL

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2009, 08:43:26 AM »

Luckily, we scrambled and figured out how to get our main email accounts sent directly to my Blackberry.  An extremely appealing feature.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2009, 08:49:20 AM »

JRand, glad you enjoyed the French spy spoof. I thought it was great to. I am sure BK will be proud of us!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2009, 08:51:01 AM »

I'll ask Linda why she left, next I see her.  Or maybe I'll e-mail her.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »

DR Miss Karen, I also did not care for THE DARK KNIGHT--in fact, I detest it!  I hated it for its sheer violence and brutality--I felt like I was physically attacked and senselessly beaten up by the time it was over, not to mention left feeling demoralized and defeated.

Feh--give me Adam West over this Batman any day!
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2009, 08:53:19 AM »

I'll write more about it, but yes, The Dark Knight DVD is awful, quality-wise, and I'm sure this was done on purpose.   There's no excuse for a film released in 2008 to have this sort of transfer, and the sound is indeed very peculiar.  In fact, when the swirling smoke and the Batman logo came up at the beginning, there was almost NO sound at all and I thought there was something wrong, so I went to the audio page to make sure there wasn't some weird setup thing - there wasn't. 

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2009, 08:57:50 AM »

Listening to Marcos Valle makes me scintillating, not soporific.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up