Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: OVER THE WEATHER  (Read 23936 times)

DAW

Re: OVER THE WEATHER
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2009, 08:00:47 AM »

However, it looks like I'll be returning late Wednesday night.

Along with a few zillion other people...     :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2009, 08:05:15 AM »

Page Two Dancing With The Starfishes Dance:

Great impersonation of an ostrich, I think!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2009, 08:06:47 AM »

However, it looks like I'll be returning late Wednesday night.

Along with a few zillion other people...     :P

Or early Thursday morning....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2009, 08:08:41 AM »

PAGE THREE TEDDY BEAR COAT DANCE!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2009, 08:08:50 AM »

WOW!  Here's a pic of yesterday's concert and crowd(!!!) taken from the top of the Washington Monument:

WOW!!

*And tomorrow, everything in the foreground and "behind" will be filled with people.
And every single one of them will have a frozen tushy!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2009, 08:10:21 AM »

PAGE THREE TEDDY BEAR COAT DANCE!!!!

As modeled by Cruella DeVil's niece.

Why doesn't PETA protest stuff like this?  Instead, they want to ban the horse-drawn carriages in Central Park.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:11:53 AM by S. Woody White »

DAW

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2009, 08:10:45 AM »

I believe that CNN will be broadcasting the entire original footage of the 17 minute "I Have A Dream" speech at around noon [EST] today.

DAW

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2009, 08:11:47 AM »

And every single one of them will have a frozen tushy!

Not if they wear their Teddy Bear coat!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2009, 08:11:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: COHERE!
CoCo Chanel was never one to waste time, so when she answered the phone she would simply say "Co here."

Sounds more like a line from Miss Coco Peru.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2009, 08:14:07 AM »

Happy Birthday to the "other" Amy!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Kerry

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2009, 08:16:11 AM »

TOD:
I'd have to check through LP's to see, and they are finally releasing whole albums on CD rather than just re-packaging a bunch of random songs  into a "Best of."  That being said, there are are a lot of albums that aren't on CD.  It is often the other songs that were favorites of mine, and those I  miss.  Sometimes, songs on a 45 didn't even make it to an album.  The flip side of "Downtown" was Petula Clark doing "You'd Better Love Me."  I love her version, but it wasn't on any LP, so I just have this (now) scratchy version dubbed from the original 45 that I bought as soon as I heard it.  Other songs of hers didn't make it to CD either.  Sometimes the "Best of" and "Very Best of" have bonuses that I like, but I often find myself wanting the original album.  There were a few a Peggy Lee albums like that.   "Black Coffee" and "Pete Kelly's Blues" come to mind, but either they were finally released as is or most (if not all) has been  compiled into some boxed set.

Those two singers are the first to come to mind.  Do you know how many copies of "Fever" and "Downtown" I had to buy to get some of the other songs I wanted?  Sheesh!

I like boat races.

Edisaurus

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2009, 08:17:41 AM »

Speaking of Washington D.C.: Jose, did you ever hear this story?

A Violinist in the Metro

A man sat at a metro station in  Washington , DC  and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few second s and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly, he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tugged him along, hurriedly, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there an y recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in  Boston , and the seats averaged $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2009, 08:18:27 AM »

That was sent to me by a friend this morning. Apparently it's a viral email, but true according to Snopes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2009, 08:18:51 AM »

As modeled by Cruella DeVil's niece.

Why doesn't PETA protest stuff like this?  Instead, they want to ban the horse-drawn carriages in Central Park.

Well, it's fake fur, so PETA would not have a beef. ;)

For more pics of the coat:

Sebastian Errazuriz

Click on "Limited Editions", then "Fashion", then "Coat N2".

*OFFICE WARNING: There is at least one "interesting" item in his Pop Series collection.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2009, 08:21:30 AM »

Der Brucer can be quite silly at times.

It seems that, during the night, someone left a lot of powdery "stupid white stuff" (his description) all over our yard, and the driveway, and the car.

Now he wants me to scrape it off the driveway before I go to work.

I suppose I could suggest that he scrape it himself.  Does anyone out there think he'd actually do it?

::)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »

Speaking of Washington D.C.: Jose, did you ever hear this story?

A Violinist in the Metro

A man sat at a metro station in  Washington , DC  and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few second s and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly, he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tugged him along, hurriedly, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there an y recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in  Boston , and the seats averaged $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

Great story, DR edisaurus!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2009, 08:24:12 AM »

Workies.  And scrapies.

FJL

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »

Someone on TV just said "All Of A Sutton" instead of "all of a sudden."  Could ALL OF A SUTTON be a good name for something or other about Sutton Foster?  Or maybe Frank Sutton?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2009, 08:31:17 AM »

That was sent to me by a friend this morning. Apparently it's a viral email, but true according to Snopes.

Oh, yeah, that happened back in 2007 - funny how the story is making the rounds again right now.  It was a story in the Washington Post (Sunday) Magazine.  -And I've actually heard the story from personally from the violinist in question. :)

HERE is the original article that appeared in the WP Magazine, and it also includes some video clips.

HERE is Gene Weingarten's follow up to the story which includes a Q&A with some WP readers.  *Along with an explanation as to why the "performance" took place in January, but the article did not appear until April.

And if I'm remembering correctly, NPR also did a few stories on the story (that may have aired closer to the original "performance").

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2009, 08:32:17 AM »

TOD:

I've mentiond this every time we do this topic: STARS OF THE SILVER SCREEN 1929-1930 which contains studio recordings of some big stars' talkie film debuts (Fannie Brice, George Jessel, Everett Marshall, John Boles. Maurice Chavelier, Jeanette MacDonald, Gloria Swanson).

The London cast recording of HELLO, DOLLY! with Mary Martin.

B'way: A TIME FOR SINGING, THE THREEPENNY OPERA (1976).

DR Matt, the HELLO DOLLY!  is available through ArkivMusic.com:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=202001

How could I forget John Morris' glorious A TIME FOR SINGING?

Thank you so much, DR Elmore! The last time we had this topic, you directed me to the PORGY AND BESS soundtrack, and now HELLO, DOLLY! You are the greatest!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2009, 08:33:37 AM »

Again, it's sort of strange that the story is making a reappearance right now.  -I guess maybe due in part because of all the focus on Washington, DC, right now?

Nonetheless, it is a great story, and an even better one once you read the whole story.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2009, 08:34:19 AM »

I must tend to some computer stuff and then head down to begin preparing lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2009, 08:36:52 AM »

OH!

And that story also garnered Gene Weingarten a Pulitzer Prize!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2009, 08:49:15 AM »

AND...

If that story happens to sound familiar to any other DRs, it could be because DR (sing)DAW posted it back on April 9, 2007.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »

HA!

And just two posts below that post, it seems that DR FJL was already gearing up for his Pal Joey revival parodies:

They're out for...

Blood again.
Such crud again.
Thank God we've been dragged through the mud again
Besmirched, botheerd and bewildered are we

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2009, 08:51:31 AM »

And speaking of PETA: Has anyone had any good "sea kittens" lately?

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2009, 08:51:34 AM »

TOD:

I've mentiond this every time we do this topic: STARS OF THE SILVER SCREEN 1929-1930 which contains studio recordings of some big stars' talkie film debuts (Fannie Brice, George Jessel, Everett Marshall, John Boles. Maurice Chavelier, Jeanette MacDonald, Gloria Swanson).

The London cast recording of HELLO, DOLLY! with Mary Martin.

B'way: A TIME FOR SINGING, THE THREEPENNY OPERA (1976).

DR Matt, the HELLO DOLLY!  is available through ArkivMusic.com:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=202001

How could I forget John Morris' glorious A TIME FOR SINGING?

Thank you so much, DR Elmore! The last time we had this topic, you directed me to the PORGY AND BESS soundtrack, and now HELLO, DOLLY! You are the greatest!

Awwwww shucks!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2009, 08:53:20 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Throat is a little weird, maybe a little sore, but not terrible.  Summer has disappeared in the City of Studio and it looks gray out.  Maybe that will burn off, but if it's not warm today I shan't do the long jog.

DAW

« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2009, 08:56:13 AM »

If that story happens to sound familiar to any other DRs, it could be because DR (sing)DAW posted it back on April 9, 2007.

And yet I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast this very morning...       :)

DAW

« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2009, 08:57:20 AM »

***THOU-SHALT-NOT-GET-SICK VIBES***
for bk's throat!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up