Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DANNY THOMAS SPIT TAKE  (Read 46807 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE DANNY THOMAS SPIT TAKE
« Reply #300 on: January 23, 2005, 10:04:18 PM »

Is it siesta time?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »

Jay, perhaps you'd like to inform us as to what the meal consisted of.

The Dear Mother dined on a roast chicken breast (can one say that under the current administration?) accompanied by grilled mixed vegetables and sauteed wild mushrooms.  I had a grilled seafood salad, which was comprised of scallops, shrimp and crabmeat atop mixed greens.  I also had a glass of chardonnay, whilst The Dear Mother was content with water.  We passed on dessert, though I did have a post-prandial cup of coffee.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #302 on: January 23, 2005, 10:09:29 PM »

Well, I know who was playing the piano - does anyone else?

I'll say:

SPOILER ALERT

A piano player named Marc Shaiman.
Shaiman included the clip as part of the one-man show der Brucer and I saw him give somewhere in New Jersey.  He was joined on-stage by Annie Golden and Christine Ebersole, but since they are women it still counts as a one-man show, right?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2005, 10:11:22 PM »

The aforementioned meal was taken at Scott's, a lovely restaurant close by the Orange County Performing Arts Center and across the street from that mecca of mercantilism, South Coast Plaza.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #304 on: January 23, 2005, 10:14:02 PM »

Well, I know who was playing the piano - does anyone else?

I'll say:

SPOILER ALERT

A piano player named Marc Shaiman.

OK... Well...

That's who I thought played for her on that show.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

« Reply #305 on: January 23, 2005, 10:14:19 PM »

The documentary film Get Bruce!, about one-liner writer to the stars and erstwhile Edna Turnblad Bruce Vilanch includes several interesting scenes involving the film's subject, Miss Midler and Mr. Shaiman.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #306 on: January 23, 2005, 10:21:26 PM »

had a grilled seafood salad, which was comprised of scallops, shrimp and crabmeat atop mixed greens.
Or, to be more specific, "Dungeness crab, dayboat scallops and grilled prawns over baby greens."  Says so, on the menu at their website.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #307 on: January 23, 2005, 10:26:15 PM »

Mr. Shaiman also had some bitchy catty interesting things to say about Ms. Midler hemming and hawing about finding the right song to sing.  She drove him to distraction, she did.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #308 on: January 23, 2005, 10:28:03 PM »

I must wussburger.  We have to be up too (expletive deleted) early tomorrow for another day of ladsitting.  Tuesday, too.

If I'm E&T, that's why.   :-\
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 10:30:50 PM by S. Woody White »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #309 on: January 23, 2005, 10:30:26 PM »

I'm eating popcorn.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #310 on: January 23, 2005, 10:31:24 PM »

I must return to Peyton Place for a moment.  I shall return in a trice.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #311 on: January 23, 2005, 10:31:54 PM »

I'm eating popcorn.
Buster likes popcorn.  If I nuke a bag, he's right there, my popcorn pal.

Buster is my buddy!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #312 on: January 23, 2005, 10:34:03 PM »

re: "Numbers" -- I am much too pooped to pussyfoot around this (yes, that's right! I'm too pooped to pussyfoot!), so I'll just state outright that I have an aversion to Rob Morrow that borders on pathological disdain.

I watched the show tonight hoping I'd see a Morrow I didn't want to punch in the face and instead found a Morrow I totally detested in a way different from his inane doctor on "Northern Exposure".  At that time, he acted with his grin.  Now, there doesn't seem to be a move that hasn't been studied and planned and presented -- without an ounce of honesty -- to convey what he perceives to be "acting."  He is all tilted head and furrowed brow and his vocal intonations are pure drivel.

Many apologies to the  toes of friends and fans I may have trod upon -- I do apologize if I offended you -- but I cringe at Morrow's "acting."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 10:47:21 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2005, 10:47:34 PM »

Pathological Disdain - that is the title of my next novel.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #314 on: January 23, 2005, 10:49:28 PM »

I will buy the first copy.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #315 on: January 23, 2005, 10:57:15 PM »

I just half-watched (watched while doing other things) an episode of Boston Legal. William Shatner was REALLY good.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #316 on: January 23, 2005, 11:00:49 PM »

I just half-watched (watched while doing other things) an episode of Boston Legal. William Shatner was REALLY good.

All together now...

"Lesbian"
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #317 on: January 23, 2005, 11:03:59 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam -  I didn't mind Rob Morrow on "Northern Exposure", but his subseqent work.. eh...  His portrayal of John Wilkes Booth in "The Day Lincoln Died" - or whatever it was called - had me cringing and laughing and cringing again.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #318 on: January 23, 2005, 11:05:51 PM »

Hmmm...

I may have to check how my father programmed the heating/cooling system in this house.  It was very nice and toasty earlier, and now I'm actually slightly shivering.  Time to put on the sweat shirt, I guess.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #319 on: January 23, 2005, 11:08:51 PM »

Does any DR know if "Boston Legal" is a spin-off of "The Practice"?  I only ask because of James Spader.

And I have to sat, it's nice seeing Candace Bergen on TV again.  And Betty White still somehow manages to make her "Sue Ellen" routine fresh and funny.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #320 on: January 23, 2005, 11:10:41 PM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #321 on: January 23, 2005, 11:15:40 PM »

WOW!  I just checked the weather reports for Richmond... And noticed that almost all of the school systems will be closed tomorrow due to the severe cold and the icy road conditions.  Guess my instincts were right to stay up in Fairfax tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #322 on: January 23, 2005, 11:25:20 PM »

I'm not posting because I'm cleaning house.  We just installed a small wine cooler in a cabinet under the sink in the rec room where a small fridge used to be.  Since the fridge has been gone, it has become a collect-all for a myriad of dog toys, exercise doo-dads, cleansers and misc. what-nots.  So since the wine cooler has now displaced all this crap, we'd had to sort through it, throw some out, find places for some of it, which has led to cleaning other knick-knacks drawers, etc.  And, of course, that leads to other little cleaning spurts like trying to find a place for all the DVDs that are tumbling over.  I'll be up to one or two just dealing with all this stuff.  But it's usually a very good sign.  When I start cleaning, that means I'm getting ready to go into a heavy jag of writing work.  My environment has to be clean for me to write.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #323 on: January 23, 2005, 11:31:33 PM »

I, too, must have absolute cleanliness.

Panni

« Reply #324 on: January 23, 2005, 11:33:08 PM »

Panni

« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2005, 11:37:47 PM »

It's early to bed for me tonight. The word for today on my word-a-day desk calendar was "bouquiniste"... A pretty word. Very musical. (Hello Dolly)
G'night.

Jed

« Reply #326 on: January 23, 2005, 11:37:49 PM »

Does any DR know if "Boston Legal" is a spin-off of "The Practice"?  I only ask because of James Spader.

Yes, yes it is.  They brought Spader in to The Practice last season with the specific intent of giving him this spinoff this season.

All together now...

"Lesbian"

LOL!!!  DR Ann trekked out from her bedroom to the couch to watch the show tonight... only downside was that laughs incurred by moments such as that one cause a bit of pain, but still well worth it. :D  Boston Legal is far and away my favorite new TV show this season, and quickly becoming my favorite current show, period.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #327 on: January 23, 2005, 11:41:59 PM »

DR Ann update:  She's coming along quite well, visibly feeling a little better every hour.  She's already backed off a bit from the max dosage of painkillers, and seems to be handling it all quite well.  While she says she has no profound words to share with the populace, she does thank one and all, all and one, for the wonderful vibes.  They seem to be working!

Jed

« Reply #328 on: January 23, 2005, 11:44:52 PM »

re: "Numbers" -- I am much too pooped to pussyfoot around this (yes, that's right! I'm too pooped to pussyfoot!), so I'll just state outright that I have an aversion to Rob Morrow that borders on pathological disdain.

I watched the show tonight hoping I'd see a Morrow I didn't want to punch in the face and instead found a Morrow I totally detested in a way different from his inane doctor on "Northern Exposure".  At that time, he acted with his grin.  Now, there doesn't seem to be a move that hasn't been studied and planned and presented -- without an ounce of honesty -- to convey what he perceives to be "acting."  He is all tilted head and furrowed brow and his vocal intonations are pure drivel.

Many apologies to the  toes of friends and fans I may have trod upon -- I do apologize if I offended you -- but I cringe at Morrow's "acting."

Your disdain for Mr. Morrow is perhaps second only to that held for him by his fellow actors.  I have a few friends who worked as extras now and then on Northern Exposure, and all I've ever heard about him is that he's about as arrogant and uncooperative a person as you're likely to come across.  It's no small wonder that he hasn't gotten a lot of work in the last 10 years with a reputation like that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2005, 11:48:56 PM »

Glad to hear Ann is feeling better.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up