Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CHEESY POTATOES  (Read 24277 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CHEESY POTATOES
« on: December 28, 2004, 12:00:12 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've vicariously thrilled to the Cheesy Potatoes, and now it is time for you to post until the Cheesy Cows come home.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 11:59:24 PM by bk »

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
Re:CHEESY POTATOES
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 12:13:21 AM »

Giving an entire new meaning to CPR, or Cheesy Potato
Resuscitation.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 12:13:33 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  We're talkin' about personal highlights.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 12:18:32 AM »

TOTD: A wonderful trip to France - including meeting Hainsie François. Made some new friends this year too - more important than most anything.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 12:49:39 AM »

What kinds of highlights have I had this year...

It's been the first year I've ever spent where I've been able to watch the seasons change.  Before, in SoCal, changing seasons meant switching from Lawrey's Lemon Pepper to something by Mrs. Dash.  Here, in Delaware, it means the weather changes.

I've had my first experience with retail sales, which was interesting.

And I've met several of our H/Ks, including a jaunt up to a theater near Philadelphia to see and hear our PennyO perform her Jewish Thighs On Broadway, two trips to Washington D. C. to meet with our Jose when he played keyboards for Children of Eden and Hallelujah Baby!, and a couple of trips to NYC, once to partake in theater and dine with our Jenny (who is constantly IMing her favorite buddy der B), and most recently to hear our esteemed BK read from Writers Block and meet with our Elmore, Ben, Elan and his wife, and PennyO once more, and of course the Sexiest Man on Earth.

And I've learned how to cook duck breasts, and how to make venison chili.

I have been a busy lad, haven't I!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 12:51:01 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 02:12:59 AM »

I lvoe cheesy potatoes as well.  NOT scalloped potatoes, no.  Cheesy potatoes, yes!

Hmmmmmmmm highlights....hmmmmmmmmmmm......there have been a few....and some the opposite as well, but concentrating on the former!

Directing LOVING LUCY at the Phoenix and getting to know Megan, my star, and playwright Phillip blueowl Hooser.

Playing the title role in Larry Shue's THE NERD.

Enjoying a better working relationship with some of my co-workers in our theatre group - although this is a two way street, so it hasn't always been successful....LOL.

Starting to paint with acrylics and doing a couple of nice paintings that I like.

Learning to do the website of our theatre group.  Whew!

That's about it.  Now if I can just come up with a job in the next few weeks, it will be GREAT!

Oh and of course, WRITER'S BLOCK and KRITZER TIME.

And having two DVD reviews published in SCARLET STREET!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 03:58:06 AM »

1) Living through my first hurricane.

2) Leaving Florida for an impromptu trip to LA and Palm Beach (and also seeing What If) and escaping what would have been my first hurricane.

3) Getting over my own writer's block

4) Meeting dr TD, Jose, & Panni
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 04:00:10 AM »

BK are you also writing the musical numbers for the remake of The Horror of Beach Party?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 04:05:18 AM »

A scene from the original version of The Horror of Beach Party

Some dialogue from the original

Dr. Gavin: Of course! This creature needs the ordinary necessities of human life - proteins, fats, sugars and so forth. But since his organs are so decomposed it needs the only food which can keep it alive.

Hank Green: Blood?

Dr. Gavin: Human blood. If a human body - a drowned person - were attacked by tiny sea plants which became parasites and completely infiltrated that human body before it had a chance to decompse, would the body be considered dead or alive?

Hank Green: Dead?

Dr. Gavin: No - it's still alive. But it's changed into a - well, is it a plant or an animal?

Hank Green: It's both?

Dr. Gavin: It's a giant protozoa!

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 04:08:57 AM »

Will the remake be called The First Nudie Horror Beach Party or The Radioactive Waste Monsters Weren't Nice?
Never stop dreaming.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 04:54:51 AM »

My personal highlight of 2004..... certainly, the lovely luncheon with DEAR BK at the pretty terrace, sitting at the table next to the one-week-old baby's, in Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA, on November 12th.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 05:12:04 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's a very chilly morning, and I'm waiting for the coffee to wake me up.  It's just past 8 am, and I'm trying to organize my day.  First, the post office to mail an insurance premium and four Christmas CDs to 4 DRs who asked for them.  Then, the recording office, to continie Act Two of BABES IN TOYLAND, which, like "Ol' Man River," keeps rollin' along.

Today's Topic:
WHERE'S CHARLEY? at Goodspeed
THE MICKEY & JUDY SHOW, San Diego Symphony
Meeting a lot of my HHW friends in person this year:  Danise, Penny O, Jane, TD, Michael Shayne, Ben and Anthony, Noel, S Woody White and Der Brucer, Elan, Jose.
Seeing Dear Friend BK for the first time in several years
Any time I spend with my goddaughter
Living through the past 6 months!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 06:08:26 AM »

My personal highlight of 2004 is that, after an intensive search caused by our relocation to Rochester, I began what is -- more often than not -- a pretty wonderful job managing a performing arts series at SUNY Brockport.

My anticipated personal highlight (of at least the first month) of 2005 will be seeing my DB/DR Jay and our DM (Dear Mother) for a few days, in a couple of weeks.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 06:48:35 AM »

Last night, DR Dan (the Man) wrote to DR MBarnum about the DVD format wars brewing:

"Before you do buy a new DVD, DR MB, I would suggest you do some research on the upcoming DVD format war that's brewing.  From what I read recently, there are two new formats about to be released on the market:  DVD Blue and HD DVD.  And while most of the major studios are backing the HD DVD format, Disney has announced that they will begin releasing on the DVD Blue format later next year.  

If I understand correctly, these new formats will require new DVD players.  I haven't looked into this myself, yet.  I hope that any new players that come out this year will be manufactured to play both formats (along with the original format we already have.)"

No need to worry if you don't have a high definition set. These are only high definition DVDs which won't come to market until late 2005 or 2006, and studios aren't going to stop producing standard definition DVDs for a long time.

The new high definition players will play all of the old standard definition DVDs. Which high definition format will win out will be anyone's guess, but I don't plan on investing in either until one high definition format becomes the norm. With the upconversion that HDTVs now perform, my DVDs look like high definition right now to my eyes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 06:52:34 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CYRANO DE BERGERAC!

TOD, oh my, it's been one helluva year!
Got Dad through his congestive heart failure.
Got Mum through her final surgeries - removal of all remnants of the bone immobilizer and the final solution of the steel rod from thigh to ankle, leaving her straight-legged, but, mobile.
Planning and giving the 50th (Golden) Anniversary Party for the folks.
Monster Bash 2004, where I not only got to meet Forrest J. Ackerman for the first time, but met Aussie Alex Paige and found a true soul mate.
Birthday-ing in the Big Apple with DR Michael Shayne. Seeing WICKED.  Seeing Hugh Jackman as THE BOY FROM OZ.  Meeting DRs Ben and elmoore3003.  Seeing old friends, such as Matt Stocke (CMU grad, same class as Patrick Wilson) of TBfO as well as THE FULL MONTY.
Performing in Open Stage's PLAY-IN-A-DAY experiment.
Thanksgiving in NYC with Alex.  Seeing WICKED.  Seeing PACIFIC OVERTURES.  Dining with DR elmoore3003.  
Renewing my acquaintance with the work of Ella Fitzgerald.
Listening to Renee Geyer, Joe Cocker and Van Morrison and trying to appreciate them all.  Two out of three ain't bad.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 07:16:07 AM »

My highlights for the year are pretty brief:

My July trip to NYC seeing WICKED, AVENUE Q, and Hugh Jackman's stupendous performance in THE BOY FROM OZ (some of the other male eye candy in the show was also pretty special).

Getting the role of Father Virgil in NUNCRACKERS and playing it to enthusiastic audiences. Only at the conclusions of AND THE WORLD GOES 'ROUND, A CHORUS LINE, and FOREVER PLAID did I feel the same kind of rush of exhilaration that I felt at the end of every performance of NUNCRACKERS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 07:43:00 AM »

I love that so many of us at HHW get a wonderful feeling both attending performances and giving performances!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 07:44:19 AM »

Oh...and DR JMK pointed out www.newspaperarchive.com which is a PAY site but which is a source of information that can't be beat!

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 07:49:46 AM »

TOTD:

Many highlights this year including:

My brother Jeff and my nephew Jeffrey staying out of harms way while in Iraq (brother Jeff is on his way home as I type this!!)

Having a few more interviews published, and conducting further interviews with some really nice performers.

Finally locating and interviewing Cal Bolder...someone I had looked high and low for for many years only to find he lives just 3 hours away from me!

Spending time with my family, and especially my little grand-neice Tayor who simply lights up my life whenever I see her!

Meeting HHWers JMK (and wife Betsy), Jane, and George!

Trading e-mails and Allison Hayes info and photos with DR JRand54 for yet another year, and conversing on the phone with DR Elmore3003!

The continued health and happiness of my family and friends!

Having a few of my favorite movies released on DVD.

My fun telephone conversations with Laurie Mitchell.

and so much more...I think this was a pretty darned good year!

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 07:51:45 AM »

I love that so many of us at HHW get a wonderful feeling both attending performances and giving performances!

I agree, DR JRand. And I've found with myself and other fellow actors, we make a GREAT audience. We know what it takes to be up there and are generally appreciative to the hard work and sheer talent that we see in front of us.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2004, 07:54:07 AM »

Now I want cheesy potatoes, gently parboiled, thinly slices, slathered in butter & shredded Sharp Cheddar, Montery Jack, American, Mozzerella , then baked til toasty..........ooooh I have gained several pounds just typing that sentence

TOD....Highlights, hmmm, well  in no particular order

watching my then 10 year old daughter sing with the "All County Chorus"

seeing Wicked with same daughter  

daughter (again!) and I spending a beautiful sunny January  day in NYC  checking out the Rockerfeller Ctr tree, going to St Pat's, going to Saks, having high tea at  The Amercian Girl Place

spending two weeks in July visiting the inlaws in their country mini manse in  Grande Praire, Alberta

roasting my very first standing rib roast and having it come out beautiful!!

sharing the joy of our dear friends, who after 16 childless years (and trying hard  to start a family),
adopted two beautiful babies

meeting this fine group of folks!!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 08:15:33 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2004, 08:21:08 AM »

No need to worry if you don't have a high definition set. These are only high definition DVDs which won't come to market until late 2005 or 2006, and studios aren't going to stop producing standard definition DVDs for a long time.

The new high definition players will play all of the old standard definition DVDs. Which high definition format will win out will be anyone's guess, but I don't plan on investing in either until one high definition format becomes the norm. With the upconversion that HDTVs now perform, my DVDs look like high definition right now to my eyes.

That's good news.  I know quite a few family members and friends who got brand spankin' new DVD players for Christmas and, based on what I had read, I thought that they would all be winding up on the junk pile in a year or two.

In the coming year, I want to explore ways to convert my somewhat large VHS collection to DVD.  This might be as simple as installing a DVD burner into my desktop PC and swapping for a larger hard drive.  Or it may even be simpler to purchase a TIVO with a built in DVD recorder.  I shall see...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2004, 08:37:42 AM »

Lovely highlights all - now we need more from other errant and truant dear readers.

We are having a real rainstorm here, complete with thunder.  This one is so severe (it's been raining non-stop since nine o'clock last night, that I have discovered a small leak in the roof.  I've put down towels which will hopefully do the trick, and I'll be calling about it later, and hopefully we'll get it fixed up soon.  Once we do, of course, it will not rain again for six months.

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2004, 08:53:46 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your leaky roof. I hope it is a cheap & easy repair.  We have a leaky basement, and since we're here on Long Island where it rains only slightly less than it does in Seattle,  we spend too many days with rising damp

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2004, 09:03:04 AM »

Well, the wonderful news about leasing rather than owning is that no matter what the ease or cost of the repair, I don't have to worry about it.

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2004, 09:03:37 AM »

For your entertainment:

Went to adjust my bill at the big department store that I've had the "issues" with.  Anyhow I could tell this was NOT going to be fun as soon as the salesperson opened her mouth.

She was not nice and she was not interested in helping me.

Anyhow she said that since it was 16 days instead of 14 days that I could not have my bill adjusted and then she acted like she was done with me.  I asked her to get her manager.  So what does she do but call him and then hang up.

Apparently he agreed with her.

I told her to get her manager now.

So she did, and as she did this, I spoke to the other salesgirl and said, "this is ridiculous, I can return this item at any time, read the back.  just return it and i'll buy it again.".

Just as i'm saying this the manager comes and is really nice and says of course i can do that.  I told him the other girl was really rude and he apologized.

The thing I don't get is why do I have to be the one to come up with the solutions.  I'm sure they could have figured out themselves what to do.

Btw, there was no way I was leaving there without the adjustment! :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2004, 09:15:41 AM »

One of the highlights was meeting DRs Jane, Michael (MBarnum) and Jeff (JMK) and Jeff's DW Betsy, children and BeeGee!  And meeting (however briefly) DR Tom (TCB) and seeing him perform the role of Scrooge!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2004, 09:16:46 AM »

Another highlight was receiving my own personal copy of BK's What If?!  It'll be on it's way to Jennifer very soon!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2004, 09:21:33 AM »

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

Maybe they're all out sledding and drinking wonderful hot chocolate made with Cadbury's chocolate and real milk, and laced with Godiva chocolate liquer

that's where I'd like to be instead of sitting in this office lookinghout on this sunny, windless landscape. perfect for sledding

Additton to year's highlights, family sledding with DH & Vixter at  "Hoyt's Farm"
 and  sledding with  the Vixter at Sunken Meadow Beach, on the north shore of Long Island

and drinking wonderful hot chocolate made with Cadbury's chocolate and real milk, and laced with Godiva chocolate liquer afterwards (well not the Vixter naturally, she had to settle for mini marshmallows)

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2004, 09:30:41 AM »

TOD - Our family highlight of 2004 was our son's graduation in the top 5% from the high school attended by his paternal grandparents, father, 2 uncles, and HHW's very own Elmore!  He's now a freshman in the honors program at the University of Cincinnati, where he made the Dean's List in his first quarter.  We're very proud of him!

Personally, I started working full time at the end of January (most days I consider this a good thing...).  My favorite part of my job is the outreach I do to the local nonprofit community and the professional development available to me from the Foundation Center.  The latter has enabled me to travel to Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland, and, best of all, to NYC for a week in October.  That's when Elmore introduced me to this lively group and becoming involved online is certainly a 2004 highlight.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up