Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: WHERE IS FLAIR?  (Read 46858 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:WHERE IS FLAIR?
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2004, 01:42:17 PM »

DR Robin_Anderson - I didn't know SUMMER PLACE was available on CD!

Welcome Fellow God George!   Go eat!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2004, 01:42:35 PM »

I thought Rent was just a loud La Boheme with singers who could not project their voices and thus needed ugly microphones - and then of course for a major song they had to find a left over form "Hair".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2004, 01:46:29 PM »

I've been here before and I should leave "Rent" alone. (and "Blood Brothers" too). Just not my taste in theatre.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2004, 01:49:12 PM »

You know what they say, "when you've got it, flaunt it."

Yes, but who is the hot guy in the Betty Buckley photo?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2004, 01:51:12 PM »

George - That's the first time I've seen the words "Carol Channing" and "drag" in the same paragraph and having nothing to do with each other.

Jen and others -  The Tonys are for Broadway shows only (although that should be changed to include off-Broadway, but where do you draw the line between off and off-off)?  Therefore since ASSASSINS has never played Broadway and never been able to compete for a Tony it should be Tony eligible.  Of course using that criteria, so should LITTLE SHOP.  That's why I have no idea what the committee will say and one reason the Tonys are something of a joke.  LITTLE SHOP stands a better chance in the revival category, and since it will probably tour (and one unstated purpose of the Tonys is to sell tours) that is why it is considered a revival.  ASSASSINS has already played all over, so that would not be a consideration.  As I stated in my original post, there are points to support either position, and that is what has piqued my curiosity.

Maya - As I stated, I liked the Lipa WILD PARTY better on stage but prefer the LaChuisa on CD.  Neither was perfect, and a better show than either would be a combination of the two.  Both shows had great female leads.  I hated Mandy's over-the-top performance in the LaChuisa.  The Lipa was in a much smaller theatre and had a more intimate feel.  Each had great female supporting performances, particularly Alex Korey in the Lipa and Eartha Kitt in the LaChuisa.  I was unimpressed by the choreography in both.  And both were better than the Raquel Welch/Jimmy Coco movie based very loosely on the same "epic" poem.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2004, 01:51:36 PM »

"Assassins" would be one of the great theatrical experiences of my 40 years of theatre going. (but then I didn't get to see TCB in "Dolly")
James Thurber 1957

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #216 on: January 09, 2004, 02:00:41 PM »

Emily I find long hair much easier than short.  There are more things you can do with it, and on a bad hair day just tie it into a pony tail.

DR Jane, it is funny, I am exactly the opposite way.  When I had long hair I thought it was much more high-maintenance.  Having the options to do more things with it stressed me out.  Now that it is too short to do anything with, all I have to do is brush it and go. :)
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #217 on: January 09, 2004, 02:03:02 PM »

"Assassins" would be one of the great theatrical experiences of my 40 years of theatre going. (but then I didn't get to see TCB in "Dolly")

Yet!
“One thing’s universal,

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #218 on: January 09, 2004, 02:04:25 PM »

I know I am probably in the vast minority for saying this, but I really enjoyed Rent when I saw the OBC (I have seen other casts that I did not care for at all).  I liked that there was a composer out there trying to incorporate other musical styles into the theatre, and the contemporary update of La Boheme.  It also got a lot of people I know who had never been interested in theatre, interested in it, which I figure is a good thing.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2004, 02:04:56 PM »

all I have to do is brush it and go. :)

Unfortunately that is all I usually do with my hair. LOL

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2004, 02:05:06 PM »

DR Tom, you and I see eye-to-eye on RENT and BLOOD BROTHERS. I wasn't a fan of AIDA either, come to think of it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Evil Twin

« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2004, 02:07:10 PM »

Hello DR.  I am overwhelmed by the Birthday wishes.  I am beyod flattered that Bk our Global Moderator would mention me!  Well, it looks like I am already spending my birthday with plenty of FLAIR!

Tomovoz

« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2004, 02:09:43 PM »

I assume you mean the Elton John songbook and not the opera Matt.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

Dan-in-TO - I'm excited. And if we win, let's swear right now that we won't say, "This won't change my life. I'll just help my brother pay off his trailer and buy a new stove. The rest goes into a high interest bond." NO! If we win, we won't be humble and self-effacing. We'll say, "We deserve this! And we're spending it!"
DR and God George - The Russians may have used a pencil, but did those practical Comrades get a brilliant episode of Seinfeld out of it? They did not. And I have an astronaut pen (well, HAD one until I lost it - or it was stolen by some jealous Putin-lover) and it was the best, a pen among pens. Worth every penny of the 12 million.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 02:11:32 PM by Panni »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2004, 02:14:22 PM »

Jennifer I gather you have an Italian charm bracelet.  So which charms have you collected?

Evil Twin

« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2004, 02:15:31 PM »

DR - William E. Lurie - I agree with you about the Tony Nominating Committe being a little strange about "Little Shop" listed as Revial. But, like everything else, they seem to make up rules to suit themselves.  I too, can WAIIIIT until "Assassins" as I have never been lucky enough to see it.  I have a terrible crush on one of the cast members, not to memtion being a Sondheim devote.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2004, 02:17:45 PM »

Good afternoon!

I'm ba-ack! Miss me?  ;)

It was very nice driving through the Fan earlier here in Richmond.  All the trees are nicely outlined in snow.  Very pretty.  And there wasn't too much traffic when I was out, so I was able to drive the actual speed limit(!) and take in all the winter wonderfulness.

I made it to Target, and I got my paper shredder.  I went ahead and got the Michael Graves one.  Practical and styilsh!  And cheaper than the last time I saw it on the shelf.  I'll be putting it too good use sometime in the near future - hopefully.

However, DR SWW - I'm not sure if I would use it to shred lettuce.  But, I guess it would be good for a "sandwich shred" like they have at Subway.  Frankly, I would probably use it for pasta since I don't have a "chitarra".  OH! -But the paper-shredder I bought is a cross-cut shredder - so I guess I could use it for slicing sheets of nori for some ochazuke.  Hmm... that would be nice for dinner, and since I have some matcha in my pantry right now...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2004, 02:18:02 PM »

Yes, but who is the hot guy in the Betty Buckley photo?

I think that the man is Martin Mull.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2004, 02:18:45 PM »

Dan-in-TO - I'm excited. And if we win, let's swear right now that we won't say, "This won't change my life. I'll just help my brother pay off his trailer and buy a new stove. The rest goes into a high interest bond." NO! If we win, we won't be humble and self-effacing. We'll say, "We deserve this! And we're spending it!"
DR and God George - The Russians may have used a pencil, but did those practical Comrades get a brilliant episode of Seinfeld out of it? They did not. And I have an astronaut pen (well, HAD one until I lost it - or it was stolen by some jealous Putin-lover) and it was the best, a pen among pens. Worth every penny of the 12 million.

Cousin Panni, would you and cousin Dan, at least, buy me a new computer and a plasma TV?  I'll get my own eee-lectric hook-up.
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2004, 02:19:25 PM »

From the files of Evil Twin, photographer at large:

td

• td
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2004, 02:20:15 PM »

more from Evil Twin and her trusy camera:

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2004, 02:21:01 PM »

I too, can WAIIIIT until "Assassins" as I have never been lucky enough to see it.  I have a terrible crush on one of the cast members, not to memtion being a Sondheim devote.

So, which one do you have a crush on?  There are so many "crushable" candidates in the cast.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2004, 02:21:19 PM »

Janet does it again. . .
(and while we're here, what's the BK connection to the following two photos?)

Evil Twin

« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2004, 02:22:10 PM »

Hi TD.  I'm supposed to be working.  Yeah, think that IS Martin Mull.  hee hee

td

• td
« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2004, 02:22:25 PM »

and the other BK-connected photo:

Evil Twin

« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2004, 02:23:07 PM »

My crush is on Marc K.  (sigh)

td

• td
« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2004, 02:23:51 PM »

The Evil Twin herself with a connection to BK:

Evil Twin

« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2004, 02:23:57 PM »

I know the connection!!!! BK produced the "FORUM IN JAZZ" Cd.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #238 on: January 09, 2004, 02:24:54 PM »

Yes, DR Tom, I meant the musical, not the opera.

Great pics, DR td.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Evil Twin

« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2004, 02:25:16 PM »

That reminds me, BK, your "PASSIOIN JAZZ" CD is just about the best thing ever.  I dareto say that I enjoy it as much as the cast album of it.  I've bought it for several jazz folks and they love it!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Up