Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: WHERE IS FLAIR?  (Read 46838 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:WHERE IS FLAIR?
« Reply #450 on: January 09, 2004, 09:47:45 PM »

Hey, Borodin won as Best Composer for KISMET and T.S. Elliott won two Tonys for score and book for CATS, both gentlemen having long since left this earth when they won their coveted awards.

Which proves just how absurd Tony awards can get.  Mr. Borodin had nothing to do with the Broadway production of Kismet (other than have his previously composed music adapted for it) and Mr. Eliot had nothing to do with the Broadway production of Cats (other than have his previously composed poetry adapted for it.)

Last I checked, Mr. Sondheim set out to create a work called Assassins, and Mr. Puccini set out to create a work called La Boheme.  Both works have appeared in numerous productions in numerous locations.  (True, one of them has had considerably more productions than the other.)

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, Dear Reader MattH.  It just seems funny to me that the Tony committee sometimes believes that if it didn't happen on Broadway it didn't happen.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #451 on: January 09, 2004, 09:51:09 PM »

DR Michael:

Ultra resolution is a means of processing so that the image is extra sharp, deeply focused, and almost totally free from blemishes.

Some people don't like it becuase they think it robs the image of looking like film and makes it appear too digital.

I think it's smashing. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is eye popping.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #452 on: January 09, 2004, 09:53:46 PM »

With all the discussion earlier about Charles Nelson Reilly, I'm surprised no one has mentioned his turn on Saturday morning television as the evil HooDoo, the Magician, on Sid and Marty Krofft's Lidsville!  Particularly with his co-stars, Billie Hayes (a L'il Abner (film version) reference) and Butch Patrick (a Munsters reference).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #453 on: January 09, 2004, 09:56:26 PM »

I still can't get away from the availability of any audience in NYC to have seen these other shows whenever they happened to come around. ASSASSINS has never played but a single two month date (more a workshop in progress thing) in New York.

Since the Tonys ARE a Broadway award, the fact that it has or hasn't played a major date in the city IS precisely the point.

However, I can see the other side. I'm not stubbornly trying to play devil's advocate here. Like WEL, there are logical arguments for both sides. And I also said that I'm predicting now that the Tony committee will side with those who want it treated as a revival. They now have three viable candidates for the Best Score Award: AVENUE Q, WICKED, and TABOO. They don't need ASSASSINS to fill out the category, especially if BOMBAY DREAMS does indeed open during this season as expected.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #454 on: January 09, 2004, 09:56:41 PM »

...It just seems funny to me that the Tony committee sometimes believes that if it didn't happen on Broadway it didn't happen.
Interesting, because the only Tony award I take seriously these days is the special award for Regional Theater!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #455 on: January 09, 2004, 09:57:52 PM »

RE: RENT - I like the show a lot.  Not love the show.  But I was moved, and find a lot of the material very catchy for lack of a better word.  However, I do have some friends who memorized every single lyric and guitar lick as soon as the OCR was released.  That being said...

The original cast was special.  They had been through so much with that show - including, unfortunately, the untimely death of Jonathan Larson (when is death ever "timely"?).  Subsequent casts, more or less, had to fit the mold of their predecessors.  Alas, most shows are "forced" to do that - they want to try to maintain as "consistent" a show as possible for anyone coming to the show for the first time - or the fifth.

*And the last time I saw it - which was about two years ago - I also left the theatre with ringing ears.  Just way too loud - and louder than the last time I saw it.  I remember the "re-review" of RENT that Ben Brantley did last year(?) - he commented on the "noise level" too.  Said it was an injustice to the show, the lyrics of Mr. Larson, and the memory of Mr. Larson.

*I also got distracted by the film at the end... hey, that's not the current cast in that footage?!?!?  ;)

I also thought the original cast of Miss Saigon, at least Jonathan Pryce and Lea Solanga really had it.  The strength of their performances really held together what was, imho, an overblown production of a really small story.  Yes, the historical setting was/important, but it tended to overshadow the personal relationship between The Engineer, Kim and John.  -And the helicopter wasn't really that big a deal.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #456 on: January 09, 2004, 10:01:01 PM »

First there was 16 Tons, then there was 16 Candles and now there is 16 PAGES!  Goodness me!

Michael

« Reply #457 on: January 09, 2004, 10:01:17 PM »

Well I am off to bed. let's have at least 44 43 more posts and some more pages!!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 10:01:49 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #458 on: January 09, 2004, 10:03:02 PM »

And, no matter what happens, today is already our second best on this board.  Hoo and ray.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #459 on: January 09, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »

-I will not eat the whole bag...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #460 on: January 09, 2004, 10:19:02 PM »

DR Jose, we had the same reaction to MISS SAIGON. I think I would have liked it much better and it would have moved me much more had it been done in a small house rather than the monstrous Broadway with that overblown, sometimes ludicrous production. For someone who really liked the score of LES MIZ, I did not warm as much to MISS SAIGON's score.

Matt H.

« Reply #461 on: January 09, 2004, 10:21:03 PM »

OK, friends, I'm off to bed. Post away! 500 is not THAT far away, and you do have almost a couple of hours to get there.

td

• td
« Reply #462 on: January 09, 2004, 10:22:54 PM »

To be pedantic, Kimlet was Tony Walton's name for me - it's what he called friends - Jane Krakowski was Kraklet.  It became our designation for dear readers of this site, they were either Hainsies, after Guy Haines, or Kimlets, after me, or both, after both.

. . .and the man that coined the moniker Kimlet, is the personal tie BK has to my/Evil Twin's photos on the set of A FUNNY THING. . .FORUM.

And DR Tomovoz, I should think that at your age (which is after all, roughly mine) YOU HAVE BEEN KISSED BACKWARDS. . .and if you haven't, get over here, and I'll show you how's it's done.   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #463 on: January 09, 2004, 10:25:00 PM »

As for shows that I've walked out of...

I think I've only left one... maybe two.. but only one I can remember.  I think it was called Liberty Sings - or America Sings.  It was a revue of songs about America and the American experience.  If I remember correctly, it originated in Philadelphia - I saw it at the Kennedy Center's Terrace Theatre in Washington, DC.  It was OK.  I was with a friend.  It was my friend who wanted to leave at intermission.  I had paid good money for the ticket, I wanted to stay.  He wanted to leave.  He drove, so..  But I didn't mind leaving, so..

Otherwise, I stick it out.  The one show I was really tempted to walk out of was Shogun - The Musical during it's pre-Broadway run at the Kennedy Center.  If people thought it was bad when it was in NYC.. WHOA!!  I truly felt bad for some of those actors on stage - and I knew some of them!  And the leading man, Peter Karrie, I believe, was just not up to snuff.  -He was replaced by Peter Casnoff in NYC - whom I would have liked to see.  The whole show was one big collective rip-off of all the mega-musicals that came before it.  At least June Angela got a Tony nom for her work.

*Funny thing, whenever I pay full-price for something at the Kennedy Center - play, musical, concert, recital , etc. - it usually turns out to be a less than thrilling experience.  However, the comps, half-pricers and gift tix, tend be very pleasant surprises.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #464 on: January 09, 2004, 10:26:18 PM »

Now I want some peanut butter M&M's.  But, I don't have any, so I won't.  Instead, I shall have some mud pie ice cream.  Yum.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #465 on: January 09, 2004, 10:28:35 PM »

. . .and the man that coined the moniker Kimlet, is the personal tie BK has to my/Evil Twin's photos on the set of A FUNNY THING. . .FORUM.

And DR Tomovoz, I should think that at your age (which is after all, roughly mine) YOU HAVE BEEN KISSED BACKWARDS. . .and if you haven't, get over here, and I'll show you how's it's done.   ;)

So, td, is that the link... Tony Walton?

-Or did you give the answer already, I just read over it?

You're driving me to eat another couple of Peanut Butter M&Ms!

:-X
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #466 on: January 09, 2004, 10:30:42 PM »

td: Thanks for the offer. I was hoping someone would react in a kind and positive way to my post. I guess it's a matter of definition. Now, what do with that bowl of S & Ms.?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #467 on: January 09, 2004, 10:33:15 PM »

Tony Walton was indeed the link.  It's time for our late-night denizens to begin their posting frenzy.  It doesn't look like we can top our best best, but as I said, we have way succeeded our second best.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #468 on: January 09, 2004, 10:33:20 PM »

Oh me, oh my!

I'm less than 40 posts away from HHW God-status!!

Hmm... and it's only 1:33am EST...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #469 on: January 09, 2004, 10:34:49 PM »

I just discovered something wierd.  Willy Russell's Blood Brothers has had no less than eleven cast recordings.

Der Brucer and I saw the London revival, with Kiki Dee.  Loved her, but the material was wreched.  Still, it was a hit.  Personally, I thought it was far too class-concious, using that distinction as the sole excuse for the poor brother's failures and unwilling to accept free will as part of his fate.  Talk about a loser mentality, sheesh and blech.

td

• td
« Reply #470 on: January 09, 2004, 10:38:23 PM »

Oh me, oh my!

I'm less than 40 posts away from HHW God-status!!

Hmm... and it's only 1:33am EST...

Push, JOSE!  PUSH!!!! You can do 40 in time time flat!  

We have M & M in heaven, too. . .

td

• td
« Reply #471 on: January 09, 2004, 10:39:18 PM »

I just discovered something wierd.  Willy Russell's Blood Brothers has had no less than eleven cast recordings.

. . . and poor li'l me, I think I only have eight of those recordings. . .

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #472 on: January 09, 2004, 10:41:45 PM »

You people have got to get a grip!  I go away to do a nice sweet murder mystery, I come back a couple of hours later, and there is another 160 posts.  I just can't keep up!!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #473 on: January 09, 2004, 10:41:52 PM »

. . . and poor li'l me, I think I only have eight of those recordings. . .
All gifts by well-meaning but uninformed relatives, I hope.   ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #474 on: January 09, 2004, 10:43:15 PM »

DR TCB here is the photo with the signature!  ;D

What a lovely treasure.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #475 on: January 09, 2004, 10:43:41 PM »

Hey, when I graduate from full member to senior member status, does that mean I get flabby?

td

• td
« Reply #476 on: January 09, 2004, 10:44:50 PM »

All gifts by well-meaning but uninformed relatives, I hope.   ;D

Well, actually, I'm one of the ones who ACTUALLY likes BLOOD BROTHERS; but, when seeing a bad production, it is the pits. . .

So, do we blame superstition for what came to pass, or what the English have come to call class? ? ?

Same theory could be applied to a lot of Greek tragedies. . .

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #477 on: January 09, 2004, 10:44:57 PM »

Well.. I guess I have been quite the Posting Paulie today (as opposed to a Chatty Cathy)...

Guess I'm making up for my most likely errant and truantness next week when I go to NY.  OH, and speaking of NYC....

Our evenings are taken care of with shows, but the days are still more or less up in the air.  Any NYers - or been-to-NYers - have any suggestions for what to do next week?  Any "can't miss" exhibits at any of the museums?  Is there a new store or boutique worth checking out just for the curiosity factor?  Any great little restaurant or food stand to try out?  I'm doing some reading up now, but any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2004, 10:46:17 PM »

What a lovely treasure.

As are you, Dear TCB!

How did your murder mystery go tonight?
I'm still waiting to hear from DR Evil Twin as to how her performance went. . .

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2004, 10:46:39 PM »

I think it's becoming obvious during our posting frenzies that one simply cannot leave their homes.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up