Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE  (Read 16824 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE
« on: November 06, 2004, 11:59:23 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now "in the know" and can proudly hold your head high, and now it is time for you to post until the parading cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 12:04:08 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 12:29:56 AM »

As I tried to post "yesterday", but... -I can't wait to back to the East Coast and to "my normal" time zone"  ::)

As for my opinion of Follies...

I actually get the piece.  My first exposure to the show/score was through the Lincoln Center concert version - it came out right at the start of my own Sondheimania when I was in high school.  I was hooked even before I had to turn the first LP over.  Subsequently, I started stocking up on other recordings, and even started investigating some of the cut material.  I came across a copy of the original script in a bookstore.  I've seen a very good and lavish(!!) community theatre production, and I saw the not-so-good and not-so-lavish Roundabout revival/revisal.  OH!  And I've also seen the ootleg-bay where Yvonne DeCarlo is all over the place in her solo.

I've never thought of the four main characters as "whining".  Wondering what might have been, yes.  Wishing they had made different decisions, yes.  Wondering if they made the right decision, yes.  Wondering if there really was a right decition, yes.  But, whining?  No... at least IMHO.

I think the key to getting the show is remembering that the action of the show takes place over the course of one evening, a few hours spent at a reunion.  Yes, there are flashbacks, and there are ghosts, but they aren't necessarily part of the "time".  They serve as background, motivation, explanation.  We get a glimpse into why this particular night holds so many stakes and so much "investment" for these four people at that particular time.

Just how much growth can take place in one evening anyhow?  Not much.  An initial change of heart, yes.  A realization, yes.  A confronting of a past demon, yes.  Saying things that have done unsaid for years, yes.  And even the seed of a glimmer of hope being planted, yes.  But growth?  Hmm...

Yes, the ending is ambiguous and un-tidy, but that's life.  These are adults that have been through a lot, and done a lot to be where they are "today".  It would take more than a few hours to bring their lives full circle.  Will Ben, Sally, Buddy and Phyllis start anew come morning?  Will the speak to each other once they leave the reunion?  Will they mend their ways?  Or will they just continue their folly?  Will their be a "happy ending"?

We may not get the answers to these questions by the end of the evening, but the fact that we, the audience, are left with these questions, wondering about these questions and possible answers is part of the genius of the piece.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »

And as I get ready to leave Houston...

I've had a good time here.  It's been a true honor and privilege to have been a part of this "team", this very esteemed team.  And the cast has a been a lot of fun to spend time with too - I just wish I had spent more time with them.

Houston is a big city.  With big city traffic.  Ugh!  *Of course, we happened to be housed the second most-congested area in the state of Texas traffic-wise, so...  I wouldn't mind coming back here, but I don't think I'd ever return on my own accord.

And, I think I've stated this before, I'm just really homesick right now.  As "Old Josh" says in big, "I wanna go home."  -Of course, I'm heading home Monday, but then I'm trekking up to NYC on Tuesday for a few days... but at least I'll be back on the East Coast.  With some real(!) weather!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 12:39:59 AM »

And something I've been meaning to post in the past couple of days, but keeps slipping my mind...

My favorite note given to the cast from the assistant director/choreographer:

Please watch your diction:

Ooh! Sigh! Give her your attention.
Do I really have dementia

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 01:03:51 AM »

Question: During a pointed conversation, is it polite to keep score?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 01:13:29 AM »

OK, that was silly.   ;D

There's a convention or conference going on this weekend here in Rehoboth.  Sort of tying in to the conversations from yesterday, it's a convention of... Tranvestites!

Yep, you read that right.

Der Brucer and I were over at Cafe Zeus when this came up, with a few of our friends.  Collectively, we started to wonder: exactly what does one call a group of transvestites?  After all, if we can have a flock of geese, a pride of lions, a pack of wolves, or for that matter a murder of crows, then there should be a name for transvestites gather together.

I suggested they be called a lift of transvestites, after their undergarments.

So, I put to everyone: what unusual words can you think of, either actual or something you're making up, to call groups of animals, things, or people?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 02:18:09 AM »

OK.... It's now 4:18CST... I guess it's time to go to bed - ?!?!?!?

-It's gonna be an interesting closing matinee... Hmm..

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 04:32:44 AM »

Of course there are coveys and prides, DRSWW.  Of course it's not entirely appropriate, but I suggest a group of transvestites be called a jorgenson.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 04:35:49 AM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 04:35:11 AM »

DRDANISE - Don Briscoe who played Tom Jennings and his twin brother Chris on DARK SHADOWS passed away last Sunday in Memphis......oh....well they say he did, but you know how those Dark Shadows people are....he is still around, methinks.

Howard Duff?  Remember Howard and Ida in MR ADAMS AND EVE?

I just watched Hedy Lamarr in THE HEAVENLY BODY with William Powell.  Some of these stars today can call themselves beautiful if they wish, but Miss Lamarr makes them look like Marjorie Main!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 04:44:20 AM »

LOL.....it always makes me laugh when I say, I am going to see The Invisible Man.....always funny.

I hope DRPANNI remembers to throw a coin in the fountain of Trevi (this movie comes out on DVD this week at last!).

Hmmmmmmmmm.....how about.....movies you didn't "get" the first time, but did the when you saw them again....for some reason or another.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 04:45:15 AM »

I for one didn't understand the physics and psychology of FORBIDDEN PLANET for years....and when I finally did, I realized what an even better movie it was!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 04:45:41 AM »

And of course there's always "favorite" Twilight Zone episodes!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2004, 04:52:50 AM »

I'd say a drag of transvestites.  We already have a drag of a cigarette, so the word's been used for amounts.

Jose makes an interesting point about whether change can occur over the course of one evening.  Makes me wonder what other musicals take place in (more-or-less) "real" time.  My suspicion is that Sondheim and Goldman intentionally portrayed stasis in the four major characters.  Stuck in the past, unalbe to change - for better or worse, that's what they meant us to see.

Francois, I don't believe I've said a word about my life in quite some time.  (Certainly, if I was being forced to see Follies and Last 5 Years, two shows I've seen twice, I might complain about it, but I'm not.)  But look carefully at what happened in yesterday's posts:

We were asked to name musicals we feel are overrated, and I thought of the one rated the absolute top by many, Follies.  I never said I hated the show.  Somebody else said I hated the show.  I understood the show perfectly.  Somebody else said I missed the point of the show.  That's a bit frustrating, n'est-ce pas?

It may be a subtle distinction: an elaboration of one's views in the face of other's misapprehending one's original point vs. whining.  Four characters in Follies (and, coincidentally, four characters in The Secret Garden) whine about their lives - in shows that hope to be entertaining.  I hope to make my posts entertaining and, consequentially, studiously avoid whining.

But one always has to read carefully.  For a moment, reading the notes, I thought BK reported he'd gotten off on Hillary Duff.  That would have been most unseemly.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 05:40:56 AM »

To say that I have been errant and truent might very well be the understatment of the year, but my schedule has been very hectic and I'm happy to have this morning to myself to do with as I please before my week begins getting crazy again this afternoon.  I've been reading and catching up, but have not taken the time to post.  

Anyway, today I begin tech week for a university production of Hello, Dolly tht I've been choreographing for two months.  Most people I know hate tech week, but I have to say I actually enjoy it for some reason.  I think it's the problem solving aspects I like to deal with this week.  Also, now I'm able to just sit back, watch and take notes.  The two months have been a very rough process with a lot of tense moments and I have to say I will be glad when the show is opens and I am done, which to me is kind of sad because Dolly is one of my favorite shows.  Not because I think it is the greatest work of art, but I do love the score, the jokes, and I'm a big Carol Channing nut.  It hurts my soul that she may prove to be difficult.  Working with people on a production staff that you don't respect is a very difficult thing to do and I need to think about whether or not I will return to this job next year if the same musical director is hired again.  Thank you for listening.

Next week I'm moving to NY.  Actually Jersey City.  It will be my first time living that close to the city and I'm excited, though scared because I need to find a job for the holidays before heading west to Illinois in January.  Hopefully with the holiday season coming up and my retail experience, I will be able to find something.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 07:01:13 AM »

Saw Howard Crabtree's When Pigs Fly last night. I had previously only knew the show from its cast album. I did not think much of it and had only listened to it a couple of time before putting it away. The CD does not do the show justice. The visuals and the songs are so important to the enjoyment of the show and to divorce one from another is like Liza Minnelli and David Guest when the first got married. The cast were very good with voices and everyone had their moments to shine in this revue. The actor who played the gay character of Howard (Crabtree) bio reminded me of Gene Barry's playbill bio for LA Cage Aux Folles when he mentioned that he was married with children at least five times. Just make sure that it was clear that although he was playing a gay character he was really straight. They also did not have a bio for the late Howard Crabtree which I thought was wrong.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 07:10:49 AM »

Good morning all!

I’ve been a busy little bee already.  Supper is already in the pot cooking away!

I had a good time last night.   I watched The Wind and Lion and then I pulled out my Babylon 5 DVDS and watched some of the episodes that had the comments from some of the actors/creator on them.      

DRDANISE - Don Briscoe who played Tom Jennings and his twin brother Chris on DARK SHADOWS passed away last Sunday in Memphis......oh....well they say he did, but you know how those Dark Shadows people are....he is still around, methinks.

Oh no, JRand!  Not the resident werewolf!  I’m very sorry to hear that.  Who of the cast is still left alive?    

I wanted to ask you if you are buying the DVD collections of Dark Shadows.  I loved the show but I regret to say that I am not.  I don’t have the time to sit and watch that many shows and I think, perhaps, some things are best left to memory.  

Thank you Jennifer for answering my question.  I thought about that post after I went to bed and I apologize if I made it sound like I was gold digging for personal addresses.  I just got in the Holiday mood yesterday while I was out and started to buy my cards when the thought occurred to me that I wasn’t sure it would be alright with some of you to send a Christmas card.  Then it also occurred to me that even if I did want to send one I may not even know where to send it.

It has always been my personal tradition to have everything done the weekend of Thanksgiving.  For years the day after Turkey day is the day I sit down and do all of my cards and they all go in the mail on the following Monday.  

I will confess one year I made the mistake of buying all of my Christmas presents by August, wrapped them all the weekend of Thanksgiving, sent all my cards out that Monday and was miserable the rest of the holiday season.  There is nothing worse for a shop-a-holic then have all of the shopping done.   :(  ;)

Gotta run.  I have tons of work to do today.  I've almost got the chainsaw assembled so I can finish up on that tree, then I want to mow the lawn, the dogs need a walk, etc, etc.

Talk with ya'll when I either take a break or sometime this evening.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2004, 07:10:58 AM »

I see that the Finian's Rainbow (2004 Off-Broadway Concert Cast) cd will be release in a week + 2 from now. Does anyone know what the tracks are or saw the show and can give their opinions?
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2004, 07:12:03 AM »

...but I suggest a group of transvestites be called a jorgenson.

"...sen", not "...son" (Danes spell funny)

No, a Jorgensen would be a group of Transexuals, not Transvestites - right church, wrong pew.

der Brucer (A Bloomingdale of transvestites?)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2004, 07:19:56 AM »

The actor who played the gay character of Howard (Crabtree) bio reminded me of Gene Barry's playbill bio for LA Cage Aux Folles when he mentioned that he was married with children at least five times. Just make sure that it was clear that although he was playing a gay character he was really straight.

[sigh] Do people still have this antiquated way of thinking? My last lover had been married for twenty years to a woman and had sired two children. That means nothing. Some people are SO insecure.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2004, 07:23:17 AM »

I agree completely with DR Jose. I do not see the dialogue and songs of Sally, Buddy, Ben, or Phyllis to be whining. They have regrets, they have desires, they have longings: they express them through talking and singing. For me, that's drama.

As for the comment last night that Brent Barrett sang a love song to another man years before LA CAGE AUX FOLLES premiered. That's true; he did in DANCE A LITTLE CLOSER. And the show ran, what? One performance? Don't think too many people would have seen that happen.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2004, 07:23:34 AM »

Of course there are coveys and prides, DRSWW.  Of course it's not entirely appropriate, but I suggest a group of transvestites be called a jorgenson.

DRJRand54, LOL!!! ;D ::) :-* ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2004, 07:25:24 AM »

Looking forward to settling down with STAR WARS this afternoon. Will post comments later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2004, 07:38:16 AM »

Good morning, all!  Around 11:30 am yesterday morning, I had a surgical bleeding problem which threw me into a panic since my damned surgeon never returned my page.  I appeared to be fighting a cold as well, so yesterday got lost in questions of kleenex, emergency room possibility, and remaining immobile to see how the bleeding went.  I think things are fine today.  Fingers are crossed.

FOLLIES, to me, is the most epic work in musical theatre since 1927's SHOWBOAT, and I feel every production since the original has diminished it, partly from Mr Goldman's insecurity over his book (how wouid you feel if Michael Bennett kept insisting Neil Simon should be called in to fix it?) to bad casting in later productions.

I believe that Harold Prince identified mainly with Ben, and he felt the show was Ben's story.  My mother, God bless her, was very similar to Sally Durant Plummer and I believe FOLLIES is her story.  It's true that the four characters spend a lot of time reliving their past mistakes and hopes, but I believe in the original production Ben and Phyllis come to some new "understanding" of their marriage and its possibilities.  Buddy is still a philanderer and Sally has gone over the bend and is heading for a suicide attempt or a padded cell.  There is no happy ending there, and I think that's one reason why FOLLIES is such an unsettling show:  most of its audience were people of that age, and FOLLIES showed them the crack in their facades.  SHOWBOAT chickened out on its ending because of its time, place, and conventions:  Ravenal had to come back to give Magnolia and the audience a happy ending.  Ferber either kills him off or simply lets him fade away, it's been 40 years since I read the novel.

As to the casting of FOLLIES, Dorothy Collins has never been bettered.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2004, 07:41:23 AM »

I see that the Finian's Rainbow (2004 Off-Broadway Concert Cast) cd will be release in a week + 2 from now. Does anyone know what the tracks are or saw the show and can give their opinions?

Neither Amazon nor the record producer's site gives a hint of track listing.

Playbill comments on the label:

Sh-K-Boom Records was founded by Kurt Deutsch in 2000 with the mission of bridging the gap between pop music and theatre. The label is committed to giving a voice to the new generation of Broadway composers and stars. Its other cast albums are the premiere recordings of The Last 5 Years, Debbie Does Dallas and Amour.

With their interpretation of their mission, I suspect they will not be on Noel's Holiday Greetings list  ::)

der Brucer

Ben

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2004, 07:42:34 AM »

Danise, are you able to listen to internet radio stations (besides our own dear Donald's, of course). I mention the BBC all the time and I listen to it regularly. I bring it up because on Christmas Eve the BBC will broadcast a Michael Ball Christmas Concert.

Here is a link to Playbill On-Line for details.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/89390.html

The concert will begin at 12:30 in the afternoon U.S. time. It mentions 7:30pm but that's London time. If you don't know whether you can listen to it, perhaps you can find a friend who would look at your computer and tell if you would be able to listen. It's not terribly difficult if you have Real Player on your system and you're able to listen to Donald's show here, you should be able to listen to the BBC Radio 2 station.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2004, 08:17:03 AM »

I agree with you, DR Elmore. While Alexis Smith stole the notices and had people screaming, it was Dorothy Collins that for me was the essence of FOLLIES: a heartbreaking and forever memorable performance.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2004, 08:24:53 AM »

SHOWBOAT chickened out on its ending because of its time, place, and conventions:  Ravenal had to come back to give Magnolia and the audience a happy ending.  Ferber either kills him off or simply lets him fade away, it's been 40 years since I read the novel.

Results of Web search to date:

From UVA - American Studies:

The second act (of the novel) climaxes in the reunion of Magnolia and Gay as they watch their daughter, who has achieved international stardom, perform as they had years before.

I like your version better!

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2004, 08:39:50 AM »

No DRDANISE - now and then I will watch an episode on TV if they are shown, but I don't think I could sit through a bunch of DS episodes in a row.

Can't spell either....

DERBRUCER

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2004, 08:44:00 AM »

I agree with you, DR Elmore. While Alexis Smith stole the notices and had people screaming, it was Dorothy Collins that for me was the essence of FOLLIES: a heartbreaking and forever memorable performance.

There is a generational thing at play here, also.

When I saw Follies, it was Collins who blew me away - but, my memories of her were with Snooky Lanson on "Your Hit Parade", so the aging starlet still trooping rang true.

der Brucer (and, inspite of The Munsters, Yvonne De Carlo was still Mrs. Moses)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2004, 09:10:30 AM »

THE DAILY LEVITY

A guy walks into the local welfare office, marches straight up to the counter and says,"Hi...You know, I just HATE drawing welfare.I'd really rather have a job."

The social worker behind the counter says,  Your timing is excellent.We just got a job opening from a very wealthy old man who wants a chauffeur/bodyguard for his nymphomaniac daughter.

You'll have to drive around in his Mercedes, but he'll supply all of your clothes.Because of the long hours, meals will be provided. You'll be expected to escort her on her overseas holiday trips. You will have to satisfy her sexual urges.

You'll have a two-bedroom apartment above the garage. The starting salary is $200,000 a year".

The guy says, "You're bull shittin' me!"

The social worker says, "Yeah, well, you started it."

der Brucer (joke sounds like some days on HHW)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up