Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE  (Read 16856 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2004, 06:52:25 PM »

Question for anyone who saw Angels in America on stage: How are all the fantasy sequences handled, just out of curiousity.  How much was changed for the film?  It's got some very good moments, and some wonderful performances.  On to Part Two.

td

• td
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2004, 07:07:56 PM »

The fantasy sequences were handled with a mere change of lighting, nothing as stupendous as the film does.
There are some very minor changes in the film, some scenes are switched around, but very few are dropped (iirc, the actual count of scenes dropped was somewhere around five).
Mary Louise Parker is brilliant, isn't she, bK?

looks like it's only you and me right now. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2004, 07:42:25 PM »

Nighters, DR's...
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2004, 08:10:56 PM »

I agree. I think Howard Keel did great work in all his films, but I think he's the sexiest in KISS ME KATE, especially the scenes as Petruchio. My second favorite would be CALAMITY JANE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2004, 08:13:50 PM »

It is almost impossible to plan Sunday evening TV watching during football season as overruns throw the schedule completely out of whack on CBS and Fox. Neither COLD CASE nor ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT came on at the scheduled times tonight due to long football games.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2004, 08:15:36 PM »

I have no clue what my next DVD movie will be. I have lots to pick from on the to-watch shelf, but I haven't made any decisions yet. Let's see where the magic fingers lead me tomorrow. For right now, good night

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2004, 08:19:21 PM »

Der Brucer decided we should watch Henry VIII on Masterpiece Theater tonight.  I can't say I'm all that impressed with this interpretation of the events of his life.  There's a lot of galloping about on horses, and a lot of galloping about at breakneck speed in the screenplay.  It's like the producers hired the caterers from Amphetamines "R" Us.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2004, 08:31:48 PM »

Oh my a two hour special edition of EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER....I hate network television!

I had been on a bit of an Extreme Home Makeover for a few weeks, only in that Ty Pennington is pretty easy on the eyes and he always manages to remove his shirt on each episode.  But, Oy--that voice!  I couldn't put up with that for two hours, either.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2004, 08:53:26 PM »

Sorry, I didn't realize anyone watched Extreme Home Makeover with the sound on.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2004, 09:29:42 PM »

I saw Howard Keel in "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers," and like him very much. This show was my kids' favorite movie when they were little kids.

It has been raining off and on today -- great for wildflowers, if it keeps up.

That's about all I have to say for today.

DR Danise: I would love to receive a Christmas Card from you! Email me at DearReaderLaura@cs.com

And, DR Danise, how is your mom doing?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 09:49:08 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

td

• td
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2004, 09:39:42 PM »

I, Tony Dale, enjoy receiving Christmas (or any seasonal) cards, too!  Email me at hilton1@nauticom.net.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2004, 09:48:35 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from Jalapeno's - nothing like some Tex-Mex and some margaritas after a closing performance.  -However, I just opted for some tamales and something called a "Carmen Miranda" which was basically an ice cream sundae a la Mexican.  It was quite dee-lish.  Vanilla ice cream in a cinnamon-sugar tortilla "bowl", topped with fresh fruit (grapes, strawberries, blueberries, etc.. even raspberries!), drizzled with dulce de leche and chocolate sauce.  The fresh fruit really helped to "lighten" the dessert.

There was some more crying after the dinner... And we're all going to be seeing each other tomorrow morning as we load our stuff on the bus to get to the airport - all of our flights leave within 30 minutes of each other.

The whole pouring out of emotion kind of caught everyone off guard this afternoon.  Including myself.  As I mentioned previously, right after "Music and the Mirror" finished, you could sense the sense of "this is our last show" in the air.  -And the band really rocked today too during "Music and the Mirror" - and that was with a sub trumpet player in today too!  -Oh, and the crescendo into the instrumental section of "At the Ballet".... WOW!  Very moving.

I also think the fact that Eric, our Richie, was out of the show also was on everyone's mind.  The initial diagnosis is that he tore a muscle.  Unfortunately, depending upon what his doctors say back in NYC, it could be anywhere from two to six months of no dancing for him - or at least no strenous leg activity.  We're all hoping that his recovery is speedy.

For myself, all these thoughts just started going through my mind as soon as I started playing the intro to "What I Did For Love".  How would I feel if I had to stop playing piano today?  What would I do?  How would I really feel about it?

But I also started thinking about all the wonderful places I've been, all the wonderful things I've done, and all the amazing people that have come into my life as a result of my music, my talent, my hands... WOW!  That really got the waterworks going.

"No regrets, can't forget..."

The true magic of theater.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2004, 09:56:47 PM »

Congratulations DRJOSE on a great A CHORUS LINE finale.

I am trying to decide if I want to leave this job tomorrow and face the uncertainty of no income for however long it takes.

GRRRRRRRR.....I don't think I will be able to take it much longer, anyway.  So why prolong it and make myself unhappy every morning?  Thinking....thinking...thinking....

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2004, 09:57:33 PM »

DR Jose, I always enjoy your stories about being a musician. And I enjoy your stories about food, too.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2004, 09:58:43 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~
Decision vibes for JRand

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2004, 10:03:13 PM »

And I had a combined "Duh! (smack myself on the forehead)"/"Six Degrees of Separation"/"Small World" moment tonight at the dinner tonight...

So, I'm sitting next to the conductor, Fran Liebergall, and we're all trading various war stories about this show and that show... and this show and that show...  She brings up the tryout period of The Goodbye Girl in Chicago...  "What show?  The Goodbye Girl?... Hey!  Tammy Minoff just did the show I was doing out in L.A.!"  OHH!!!!!  DUH!!!! -Smacked myself on the forehead... :o

So... I've been working side-by-side with Fran for the past five weeks, and I knew that she had been Marvin Hamlisch's assistant since A Chorus Line, and that she had gone on to work on his other shows including They're Playing Our Song, and, of course, The Goodbye Girl.  We've even talked about all those shows over the past couple of weeks, but it wasn't until tonight that I made the whole Tammy Minoff connection!?!?!?!  So.. I tried calling Tammy, but I kept getting her voice mail.... something about her cell phone getting stolen - ?!?!?  But I left a message, and, hopefully, her and Fran will able to touch base in the next couple of days.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2004, 10:05:47 PM »

DR Jose, I always enjoy your stories about being a musician. And I enjoy your stories about food, too.

Aw shucks!  Thank you!

I just wish I had more food stories about Houston, but... However, I guess it's good that I didn't have that many food stories from here since I didn'y do as much walking as I did when I was out in L.A.

However, I'm heading to New York on Tuesday...  And I've made the dinner reservations already for the week, so...  Stay tuned!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2004, 10:08:22 PM »

Congratulations DRJOSE on a great A CHORUS LINE finale.

I am trying to decide if I want to leave this job tomorrow and face the uncertainty of no income for however long it takes.

GRRRRRRRR.....I don't think I will be able to take it much longer, anyway.  So why prolong it and make myself unhappy every morning?  Thinking....thinking...thinking....

Not to prolong your agony but... What line of work are you right now again?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2004, 10:12:42 PM »

Hmmm... So I'm almost done packing.  Got my clothes in the luggage.  Just need to get all the small stuff sorted and put away.  Thankfully, I did not accumulate that much stuff while I was here.. actually, only a new pair of cross-trainers, two t-shirts, some socks and a baseball cap - nothing bulky.  And I've been stuffing various little things in the nooks and crannies in my clothes luggage.  Hopefully, when it comes to packing my two carry-ons, I won't have too much trouble squeezing everything in.

And TLC is showing the "They Really Hated It" episodes tonight of "Trading Spaces".  And the "Black and White" one is on now.  ::)

Hmmm... And maybe I am getting a little hungry again... just a little.. ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 10:13:29 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2004, 10:26:07 PM »

Question for anyone who saw Angels in America on stage: How are all the fantasy sequences handled, just out of curiousity.  How much was changed for the film?  It's got some very good moments, and some wonderful performances.  On to Part Two.

All the stage tricks on Broadway appeared to be just that, tricks.  You could easily see the wires on the angel, and each bit of business reminded you that you were in a theatre.  The most spectacular bit was the sudden Hebrew letter flambé.

I can't speak of script changes, but Justin Kirk's interpretation of Prior was completely different than Stephen Spinella's on stage.  First off, Kirk is rather handsome.  Stephen conveyed the impression that he's a drag queen because only with all that make-up on does he look the least bit attractive.  His nudity during a doctor's examination was one of the most shocking things I've seen in my life.  The audience gasped.  It was like having an emaciated concentration camp inmate right in front of you.  Stephen's Prior always had an air of desparation about him, not necessarily related to disease.  He was a nudge and a nag, and extremely funny.

(Can you tell I thought Justin Kirk was completely wrong for the role?)

Look at all the American dramas on Broadway over the past 35 years or so, and I doubt you'll find any play as good as Angels In America.  It's a stunning achievement
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2004, 10:30:39 PM »

I had been on a bit of an Extreme Home Makeover for a few weeks, only in that Ty Pennington is pretty easy on the eyes and he always manages to remove his shirt on each episode.  But, Oy--that voice!  I couldn't put up with that for two hours, either.

Hmmm... I don't think I've seen a full episode of "Extreme Home Makeover" yet.  But I have seen plenty episodes of:

"Trading Spaces" with Faber Dewar, Joe Farrell, Carter Osterhouse, Doug Wilson, Barry Wood.

"While You Were Out" with Evan Farmer, Andrew-Dan Jumbo and Jason Cameron(!).

"In A Fix" with Marc Goldberg, Mark "Sparky" Bartolomeo, Justin Brown and James Lunday.

"Clean Sweep" with James Saavedra and Eric Stromer.

And even "What Not To Wear" with Clinton Kelly.

;D

-Those listed above are just my own personal faves.  You and your friend and your colleagues may have different "opinions".  For a listing of all the "options", just check out:

http://tlc.discovery.com

;)

And then there is Alton Brown and Tyler Florence on The Food Network...

Now if I could just get my cable system to charge me only for the national networks, TLC, FoodTV and BBCAmerica...

:P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 10:33:02 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2004, 10:34:37 PM »

DR Penny O - Did you get my corrected e-mail?  Any chance I'll be able to see you in NYC on Tuesday?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2004, 10:39:45 PM »

Saw Howard Crabtree's When Pigs Fly last night. I had previously only knew the show from its cast album. I did not think much of it and had only listened to it a couple of time before putting it away. The CD does not do the show justice. The visuals and the songs are so important to the enjoyment of the show and to divorce one from another is like Liza Minnelli and David Guest when the first got married. The cast were very good with voices and everyone had their moments to shine in this revue.

Agreed.  Both of Howard Crabtree's revues depend a lot on the costuming.  I think companies are even able to have access to the original "blueprints" to the costumes.  The whole dinner theatre sequence had me literally bowled over with laughter when I first saw it.  And even the second and third times too!  "I've got hunch...."  ;)

And some of the songs are surprisingly poignant and touching and sophisticated.  -And, boy, is that Darren/Bewitched number tricky to teach, sing and play!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2004, 10:44:29 PM »

OH!  And another small world story...

The actress playing Judy was on the First National (Max Company) tour of The Producers for a while.  Her name is Melissa.  Well...  When I subbed in for The Producers (Max Company) the week before coming to Houston, I remember seeing charts for "If You've Got It, Flaunt It" in B-Flat in the book.  And across the top in big red letters was written "Melissa"... Well.. So, after another light bulb moment, I asked Melissa if she did "If You've Got It, Flaunt It" in B-flat - which was the key of the "Melissa charts".  Well... She said, "Yes"

Ah...

I can see said the blind man!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2004, 10:47:27 PM »

And then I'm talking with Richie who played Mike in this production... He was in Saturday Night Fever on Broadway.  Well... He mentioned his conductor one time, Martin Axe.  Well...  Martin Axe has been on tour with Mamma Mia! for the past three years.  With the second national company.  The one I've subbed in for a couple of times.  And the one I just happen to sub in two weeks before heading to Houston (the week before I subbed in for The Producers.  Well...

It's a small, small world...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2004, 10:48:34 PM »

And then there was that guy at the bar...

Oh, well...

Maybe...

Nevermind

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2004, 11:02:06 PM »

What I ushered for this afternoon was SOGO:  Student Orchestras of Greater Olympia.  Music education is VERY important.  These kids performed some fairly complicated music.  After that I went to my parents' house for tacos!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2004, 11:02:34 PM »

Tacos at my parents' were good, as usual.  Anyway, I got home from my parents' just in time to see "Desperate Housewives."  I love this show...this and "Lost."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2004, 11:06:18 PM »

Finished with the Angels in America DVD and must now write the notes.  I think we need a frenzy right about now.  I pigged out on my tuna pasta salad (although there's plenty left for tomorrow) and I also had a hot fudge sundae.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2004, 11:06:51 PM »

Wow, twenty posts from now I hit a new plateau.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up