Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: CASTING ASPERSIONS  (Read 19357 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:CASTING ASPERSIONS
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2004, 06:20:09 PM »

What is this???

A quarter after six on the left coast and still less than 120 posts?  Is this how you people behave when my computer is broken?  I am shocked, do you hear me, shocked!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2004, 06:27:48 PM »

Sorry TCB: Too busy writing and checking e-mails!

I hope you have not been opening Amazon mail too early!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2004, 06:29:02 PM »

So how does one force oneself to have a nervous breakdown, DTM? Even the slightest bit of public speaking makes me jittery.

I'd start the morning out by drinking lots of coffee (and I wasn't a coffee drinker back then.)  Then I would just sit and think about the worse thoughts I could imagine--forgetting my lines, being late for an entrance, no audience showing up--anything that would get me sweating.  Eventually, the caffein would wear off and I would get myself busy running errands and then getting ready for the theatre and I would start to balance myself.  It worked for me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2004, 06:35:43 PM »

Dan (the Man) you are too funny for such a serious avatar. ;D

TCB-hi.  Is your computer all better now? :D  We miss you.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2004, 06:54:46 PM »

I usually have a nice calming cup of tea with honey, lemon, and peppermint and suck on peppermints before I go on. I also eat several bananas for the beta blockers. Opening night isn't nearly as nerve wracking for me as auditions though. I am getting better. I get ridiculously hyper on opening night and it builds up until I go on and I let that fuel my stage energy. I guess I can compare it to psyching myself up.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2004, 06:55:28 PM »

Here's hoping Jose, BK, and company break all their legs.

Today, my mom and I went to a furniture store to get a sofa and a chair. She picked out a sofa, and then she spent a long time choosing a chair and then deciding what upholstery she wanted. I mean a long time. And then she didn't get the chair.

That's all I did today, besides drinking a lot of Cherry Coke. I still want cake.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2004, 06:59:19 PM »

How does everyone deal with opening night nerves?

Usually, I would just run my lines because I haven't completely memorized them. ::)
Procrastination has always been a problem for me! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2004, 07:02:03 PM »

Today, my mom and I went to a furniture store to get a sofa and a chair. She picked out a sofa, and then she spent a long time choosing a chair and then deciding what upholstery she wanted. I mean a long time. And then she didn't get the chair.

That's all I did today, besides drinking a lot of Cherry Coke. I still want cake.

LOL ;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2004, 07:23:13 PM »

How does everyone deal with opening night nerves?

I try to get to the theater early, get in make-up and costume as soon as possible. And then I pace. Very quietly and all into myself, but I do pace up and down for miles backstage, just going over everything in my head and walking off any nerves I might be feeling.

It's funny, though. the amount of nerves I might have depends on the show. I was never nervous with A CHORUS LINE. I was never nervous with FOREVER PLAID. I think I loved doing those shows so much that I wanted to get out there and get started. I was always very nervous with BABY and INTO THE WOODS. And I tend to be more nervous with plays than with musicals.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2004, 07:25:42 PM »

This must be a first in many months: I did not watch a DVD at all today. I must make up for this lapse this weekend.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2004, 08:05:43 PM »

Dan (the Man) you are too funny for such a serious avatar. ;D

I think you're right.  I was trying to channel Bruce Weber as the photographer.  Next time I'll try for Anne Leibovitz.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2004, 08:49:19 PM »

Sounds like time to play some Akers again.  Went "off" after the French album (No offence François). Will check the new one out. I've not played Buckley for a long while either.

You should always apologize to Betty's dear friend td when you don't listen to her. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2004, 09:17:22 PM »

Well, since it's been about 6 million years (Of course, that's approximate) since I've been here, I feel very bad. BUT I'M HERE, so not too bad.

I miss HHW :).

News dans la vie de Swishy: I am 95% sure I'm trying out for American Idol next week. Not that I really want to BE the American Idol, but I want to make it to Randy/Paula/Simon. If I make it there and then get shoved onward, who knows what I'll do...Miss Swish is not a pop star, but she can fake it.

This summer has been c-c-c-craaazy for me! School got out, I worked for a few days, then I went to NYC for a weekend and saw WICKED and ASSASSINS. Both were great, I liked them equally, with a smidge of a lean towards Assassins. Actually a big lean towards Assassins, but it's so hard to compare the two...Idina was out in WICKED and I saw Eden, who was fantastic. A flawless performance. Kristin Chenowith completely stole the show, and Joel Grey was wonderful! (Pun *not* intended, and I give it a groan of my own.)

Assassins was amazing. Afterwards, we stagedoored and I talked with Neil Patrick Harris for a while. But I was a dork and a total fangirl at first, and I belive I said something akin to "Oh wow you were amazing you made me sick to my stomach but in that good way you know I don't mean that you were bad please don't take it that way your performance was incredible and my mom loved you in Doogie."

*Slaps self silly*

But he was understanding and we talked about the affect the show had on people and stuff like that. I was a little distracted by his Sex-On-Toast appeal, but I managed good conversation and a picture :).

After NYC, I came home and 10 hours later I began rehearsals with "The Enchantment of Beauty and the Beast", which was very fun. It was a childrens show cast from ages 8-18. After three weeks of 10 year old boys, I was ready to be done, but ended up making some good friends and connections :). Karlah Louis is an amazing woman.

The last show came, and immediately following, I left the theatre and headed straight for Winchester, VA, where I attended my second summer of the Shenandoah Performing Arts Camp at Shenandoah University. I had a BLAST, the camp is just an amazing place to go. If anyone here is from the Chicago area, try to get into a concert that Matthew Ganong performs in. He's a pianist, and an exceptional one at that.

A highlight of SPAC camp was that they held a solo competition this year in which they were only taking four performers. Everyone in the camp could audition (band, orchestra, choir, dance, and harps), but you had to be prepared to the MAX. They held auditions the second week (which was stupid as our voices were at their worst then), and everyone auditioned for 30 seconds. I sang "Se Tu M'ami Se Sospiri". That night I was informed that I made it! They chose THREE vocalists and a pianist for the competition. The pianist ended up winning, but she was insanely talented and completely deserved it. It was still an honor to be chosen.

After camp ended, I came home, slept for a week straight practically, then headed off to Dillard, Georgia, where I suffered through a weeklong family reunion. In the middle of nowhere. Doing nothing. At all. It was TORTURE! ANd there were bugs everywhere. I felt like such an outcast walking into places there, it was horrible. I was looking FORWARD to the 7 hour car ride home!

And here I am, pondering American Idol, still savoring my summer vacation, watching the rain fall. I'm actually developing a cold, which is bad, but it'll be fun to have the opportunity to say "I just got over a cold" at my audition, haha.

I'd love to hear from everyone here, please email me at sarah@davishome.us! I'll try to check in a little more frequently, I need my HHW fix!

I've said it before, but I really need a new icon. I look like I have a black eye in this one.

-Sarah of the Swishy Shorts
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2004, 09:26:20 PM »

Yay Swish!  So good to hear from you!  We miss you around here...  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2004, 09:27:49 PM »

TCB, I see you there lurking...I do hope your computer woes are nearing an end.  HHW just isn't the same without you around...you bring life and laughter to everyone here

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2004, 09:51:56 PM »

TCB, I see you there lurking...I do hope your computer woes are nearing an end.  HHW just isn't the same without you around...you bring life and laughter to everyone here

Thanks, Ann, I miss being here, too.  My computer is behaving fairly well tonight, but this may just be a phase of the moon, or something to do with the approach of Hurricane Charley.

I am so sorry that I can't go to Portland for the big HHW shindig this month.  However, Jed has already committed both of you to attending TEN LITTLE INDIANS next month, so maybe we can drag a few more West Coast Kimmlets, and have a mini-shindig then?  Any takers???  td, Tomovoz, MBarnum, George, Jane, JMK???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2004, 10:27:53 PM »

Thanks, Ann, I miss being here, too.  My computer is behaving fairly well tonight, but this may just be a phase of the moon, or something to do with the approach of Hurricane Charley.

I am so sorry that I can't go to Portland for the big HHW shindig this month.  However, Jed has already committed both of you to attending TEN LITTLE INDIANS next month, so maybe we can drag a few more West Coast Kimmlets, and have a mini-shindig then?  Any takers???  td, Tomovoz, MBarnum, George, Jane, JMK???

What are the details?? :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2004, 11:12:04 PM »

Just need to check the bus timetable TCB.  I think the bus to Tacoma passes through Upper Beaconsfield after it leaves Pittsburgh.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2004, 11:26:05 PM »

Tried something different for dinner tonight: a chilled cucumber soup.  Basically, the soup was plain yogurt thinned with milk, at a two to one ratio, to which was added cucumber (in a 1/4 inch dice), thinly sliced radishes, one minced garlic clove, salt and pepper and some lemon juice, plus fresh mint and dill.  Very nice on a muggy day like today has been, but I think the basic recipe needs something else to give it a lift.

I've a hunch what it needs is curry powder, but I totally dislike curry powder.  Such is life.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2004, 11:37:12 PM »

Back from WHAT IF?
The show was quite wonderful. Hilarious, touching, audacious, clever. You name it. The audience loved it.
I'm really not a great reviewer, so I'll leave it up to DR Jay who seems to be so much better at this sort of thing. The performers were terrific as was our very own Jose.
There were some very major celebrities in attendance. I won't rain on bk's parade (a WHAT IF? reference) - but I'll give a tantalizing clue. Sitting in the audience and enjoying the show immensely were two show business legends, each a star in his own right and also as partners in an iconic comedy routine.
I had a great time, as did DD and her BF. (I had to leave the party early because it was very crowded and close and I'm somewhat claustrophobic.)
A Huge congrats to bk.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2004, 11:40:30 PM »

bk is on his way home. The notes will be a little late.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2004, 11:51:25 PM »

An iconic comedy routine between two partners referred to as "in his own right" --- hmmm.  If Dean Martin weren't dead.....

...ditto Tony Randall....

...I suppose it could be Penn and Teller, but neither is a "major celebrity" ...

Oh, poo-poop-e-doop!  I give up.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up