Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CASTING ASPERSIONS  (Read 19356 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CASTING ASPERSIONS
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2004, 09:07:30 AM »

And one for Mahler.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2004, 09:20:10 AM »

As for the KATE scenes, for example, Lili does not do the solo on "Another Openin' " as shown and "So In Love" is sung in the dressing room, not as part of the SHREW scenes.   Musicals of the era depicted would never have had an inter-racial chorus as depicted.

2 questions for DRs: Does anyone know who that couple with all the children who were so close to Cole and Linda was supposed to be?  And does anyone know the real-life connection between Cole and Monty Wooley who was depicted in both this and the earlier, superior Porter biopic NIGHT AND DAY?

DR WEL, first of all, "So In Love" is sung in Lily's dressing room when the flowers are delivered to her and not to Lois Lane.  It follows "Wunderbar."

I haven't seen the film, but I would assume the couple is Gerald and Sara Murphy, who have been subjects of several bios, including "Living well is the Best Revenge."  Gerald Murphy wrote the scenario for Porter's ballet "Within the Quota."

Porter and Wooley were friends from college and cruising buddies.,  Wooley also acted as a director or dialogue coach on a couple of Porter's shows, including JUBILEE.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 09:23:42 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2004, 09:25:55 AM »

One time I was at a gala of some sort at the Metropolitan Opera House and Miss Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis walked right past me.  (She probably didn't see me, else I am sure she would have paused to chat.)  
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2004, 09:40:53 AM »

You see.  I'm not the only one ga-ga over Nathan Gunn.  Here is an excerpt from Mr. Anthony Tommasini's review in today's New York Times of a Mostly Mozart Festival production of Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte:

The baritone Nathan Gunn brought his robust voice and strapping physique to the role of Guglielmo. Even when affecting a funny come-on swagger as some heavy metal poser, Mr. Gunn sang with the textual crispness and lyricism of a fine Mozartean.

You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2004, 09:44:10 AM »

Oy. My picture turned out so blurry on here that I deleted my post.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 09:45:09 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2004, 09:50:26 AM »

Most memorable opening night for me was my first performance for Light Opera of Manhattan, lo these many years ago. I was Iolanthe, and had the final solo "Star" position for bows. The cast and chorus parted, gazed expectantly into the wing. As I minced gracefully down the risers to the deafening roar of an appreciative crowd, I accidentally stepped on the hem of my flowing mermaid costume, tumbled down the steps and landed SPLAT! on the stage, dead center. It should have served as a harbinger of my entire sojourn there...

Hope you're on the mend, Elmore

Good luck tonight, BK , Hozay, and gang!!
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2004, 09:54:47 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.  We're talkin' about opening nights.  C'mon in, the posting's fine.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2004, 09:56:56 AM »

Wanna remind our NYC denizens that I am relocating back to the Big Apple in Sept - keep an eye peeled for a sublet, okay?
PennyO

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2004, 10:02:00 AM »

I've mentioned this one before.

I took a long weekend last October to visit a friend in NYC. The flight was a fright. As the rabbi sitting in front of me later said, "Even the atheists were praying." Dishes were flying, and someone's Bloody Mary landed all over my sweater.

My friend Patty was working late, and after the bus from Newark dropped me off at Herald Square, I wandered to the theatre district and found myself in front of a red carpet at the Imperial. It was opening night of The Boy from Oz. I walked up to the box office and asked if perhaps any tickets were available. I wound up with a front row Mezzanine seat.

It was fifteen minutes to curtain time. I waited at the foot of the stairs at the back of the Orchestra, and caught sight of Burt Bachrach, Rosie O'Donnell, and Elaine Stritch. As the opening night crowd trickled in, I chatted with one of the ushers. I told her that the last two times I had been to the Imperial were for Fiddler on the Roof and Dreamgirls. She said she had started her job during Fiddler's run, and then talked about the various shows that had played the theatre. There were a few other sightings, but (apart from Hugh Jackman) the best part of the evening was hearing the usher talk about her decades at the Imperial.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 10:04:37 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2004, 10:07:04 AM »

BK, I would have torn into that guy at the papering service.  Incompetence like that should not be tolerated.  I would definitely speak to his boss and tell him how much trouble this has caused you.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2004, 10:10:33 AM »

I myself am kind of curious about De-Lovely. It starts playing in Salem tomorrow, and if I have time I might try to catch it this weekend. It is scheduled at the worst theater in town, however, so that will doom it here because no one goes to that theater.  Oh well. It is getting good reviews, however.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2004, 10:14:42 AM »

Elmore... In the film, "So in Love" is shown as part of a Shrew scene which I stated.  I know it belonged in the dressing room.

Regarding Monty Wooley... was he actually a Yale professor before he was an actor as he was portrayed in "Night and Day" , or did he merely "know" Cole from Yale as is mentioned in DE-LOUSY.  I assumed that in "Night and Day" he was just written in to give him a part in the film, but I never realized he was actually a teacher.  Have there been any bios out on him?  I think one reason SHERRY was not a success is that nobody could play Sheridan Whiteside like Monty (except maybe Alexander Wolcot who the character is based on).  I have enjoyed Wooley in what few other films I have seen in in, particularly the little known "Miss Tatlock's Millions" (may have the name slightly wrong).  One would think his life was more interesting than many people who have been the subject of biographies.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2004, 10:22:21 AM »

My script has come in at 106 pages. It should be around 100. On the other hand, there is a song which is repeated a few times - yes, DRs a song - lyrics by moi - and it takes up much room, so perhaps the page count in reality is 105. I've now gone through it and cut everything I'm willing to cut at this stage.
Soon I will go to get my hair trimmed and I'll take the script with me for one more look-see and then I'm done with it. Do you hear? DONE WITH IT! (For now.)

Ben

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2004, 10:29:53 AM »

Best of Opening Night vibes to BK, Jose and the rest of the cast and crew of the soon to be hit

WHAT IF?

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

GOOD/BREAKA/LUCK/LEG

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 10:31:11 AM by Ben »

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2004, 10:48:08 AM »

I have decided to take Friday off, and in addition I will get off of work at noon today! Hurray.

At this very moment I am listening to the soundtrack of the new Bollywood film TAARZAN, THE WONDER CAR.

Ben

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2004, 10:48:47 AM »

I found a very interesting CD at lunch today. I haven't listened to it yet, (I'm listening to the new Karen Akers CD - If We Only Have Love) but it's a compilation of recordings by Miss Kay Thompson from the mid-30s through the mid-50s. It includes such things as Take A Number from One to Ten, Quel Joi, Myrtle, 'Bout You and Me and lots of others (26 tracks). I also found Clooney Tunes, the Rosemary Clooney songs for children, also from the 50s. Ahh, I'm so lucky I can listen to CDs at work.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2004, 10:59:55 AM »

Ben - The Karen Akers is one of the best vocal CDs I have heard in the last year or so.  I hope you enjoy it and I would recommend it to all DRs.  It's a great selection of songs perfectly sung and arranged.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2004, 11:12:47 AM »

Good Morning!

I've never been to any Broadway Opening nights, but I have been to a few at the Kennedy Center.  Most recently, as I've mentioned countless times by now, would have had to have been the various opening nights for the Sondheim Celebration shows - which were not that recent now since they happened two summers ago.  In any case...  There were always more than a few notables in attendance at the Openings and throughout the run.  And since the Kennedy Center is in DC, there were a good amount of politicos at the shows too, "Hmm.. Why does that person look familiar?"

And, again, it wasn't at an opening night, but Hillary Rodham Clinton did come to see Eleanor: An American Love Story at Ford's Theatre.  The Secret Service detail besides being very Secret Service-y, was also quite dashing in their dark suits and ear pieces.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2004, 11:14:48 AM »

One time I was at a gala of some sort at the Metropolitan Opera House and Miss Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis walked right past me.  (She probably didn't see me, else I am sure she would have paused to chat.)  

I don't know if you recall this, Dear Brother, but when we went to see Mr. Sondheim's opus SWEENEY TODD, none other than author-for-whom-every word-is-a-lie, Miss Lillian Hellman was also in attendance.  (Or was it Miss Mary McCarthy, for whom every word was a lie?  I forget which one of them pitched that salvo....)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 11:16:31 AM by Stuart »

Ben

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2004, 11:17:38 AM »

WEL, I'm a big Karen Akers fan and you're right, this is a wonderful CD. As much as I like her, some of the other CDs are a little, I don't know exactly the word I'm looking for, maybe, inaccesible, but this one is so well done.

Ben

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2004, 11:19:17 AM »

DR Stuart, it was Mary McCarthy who said of Lillian Hellman, something to the effect "Every word she writes is a lie, including and and the"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 11:19:42 AM by Ben »

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2004, 11:22:37 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, don't forget to send me your mailing address!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2004, 11:24:53 AM »

Jose I enjoyed your ramble-HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!

In fact SUPER VIBES FOR BRUCE AND THE ENTIRE SHOW!

DIT-nice teacher!  Good for her.  Bryan was in a show in pre-school and they gave me the wrong time to be there.  Did they wait for me and put some other kid on first-NO.  

I have never been to an opening night of a show.  I have been to movie premiers but never shows.  Tonight is the first time I wish I could be at one.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2004, 11:25:09 AM »

Elmore... In the film, "So in Love" is shown as part of a Shrew scene which I stated.  I know it belonged in the dressing room.

Well, DRWEL, I've totally misinterpreted your sentence about the film because when you talk about KISS ME KATE and "So In Love" as a SHREW scene, and I don't know if you're talking about errors in the new film or what.  Sorry!

I believe Monty Wooley was indeed a teacher at Yale before he became a professional actor, but I believe he worked on a lot of Porter shows, and he was one of the clique with Moss Hart, Linda, and Cole who made the famous world trip to write JUBILEE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2004, 11:26:29 AM »

DR Stuart, it was Mary McCarthy who said of Lillian Hellman, something to the effect "Every word she writes is a lie, including and and the"

Thanks for clearing that up.  That's what I thought, given the reports about the truthfulness about "Julia" and "Pentimento," but I wasn't sure.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2004, 11:33:25 AM »

Thinking about BK telling off that papering house guy made me think of times when i've wanted to tell people off.

This week at the library, I went and filled out requests for 8 books.

Whenever I reserve a book, I always ask the librarian to process my request while I wait.  That way I can see that I've actually filled out all the information.  And I can find out how many other people have reserved the book.

I just assumed that this was standard practice, because they have always been happy to do it.

Well when I asked this time, the woman looked at me like I was crazy.

She couldn't imagine having to do this.

Now granted there were 8, and at 30 seconds each, it would have taken her maybe 5 minutes.

But since the library had just opened, and since there was nobody else there, and since there were 3 other librarians at the same desk ... I thought maybe if I asked nicely.

Well she was having none of it.  She brought me to the reference desk, who was also having none of it.

I tried to explain that I would be very happy if I could this myself, but the only way I could find out how many people were ahead of me for the book, was if she helped me.

She finally said that she understood. And that she wished the system was different. Then she offered to do it while I read a newspaper.

Although she wasn't too happy to be doing it.

Have I lost my mind?  Was this really an outrageous request?  I didn't get angry, but I was very persistent.

Personally I just thought that the first lady was being lazy, since it would have been a little bit of trouble.

But in the time that it took her to complain, she could have done what I'd asked.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2004, 11:37:05 AM »

I too have never been to an Opening Night on Broadway.  But I would love to go to one, especially a musical.  It's actually been something I've always wanted to do.  Hopefully soon.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2004, 11:39:23 AM »

Best luck to those involved in What If tonight!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2004, 11:47:34 AM »

Jennifer it sounds as if the library staff were having an "off day".  I have had that happen where suddenly something that has always been okay is against the rules.  You have to wonder.  Service today just isn't what it use to be.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

We must not sit at 58. We must move on to 60 at least, so here's my part.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up