Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MOLD PEOPLE  (Read 15640 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MOLD PEOPLE
« on: August 30, 2004, 12:01:48 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were moldy but soon won't be, the notes had no hot water but soon will, and now it is time to post until the moldy cows come home. :o
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 12:03:06 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE MOLD PEOPLE
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 12:22:39 AM »

..I seem to be the only one here...which is unusual for this time of night. Perhaps the Mold People got everyone. I'd better run outside and tell the world...  "They're here already! You're next! You're next!..."  

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 01:30:18 AM »

Least favourite Spielberg:  Empire Of the Sun

Favourites: Close Encounters, The Indiana Jones films and Schindler's List.

"AI" has much that I like.  I need to watch it again.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 02:14:27 AM »

Good Morning!

Sorry to have been errant and truant yesterday, but I ended up having quite a culture-packed yesterday.  More or less.

DR Jay and I went to see the "new" Jet Li movie, "Hero".  The art direction and cinematography are very good.  There are some truly breathtaking images throughout the film.  Needless to say, the martial arts fight sequences are very well done - and very well filmed.  As for the story, it's actually quite simple, but I found myself getting a little lost here and there due to the device of having the story be told in multiple flashbacks.  Multiple and varying flashbacks of the same events, sort of.  -It's hard to explain without giving away the plot - even though most of the reviews have given it away already.  In any case, I liked it, and the fight sequence around, on top of and over - but never in - the water is worth the price of admission, imho.  -I'm just wondering now if the film can be nominated for any awards this year since it was originally released in 2002 in China, and was submitted - and nominated - for a Best Foreign Language Film Oscar that year.  *And just in case - the film is in Mandarin, so be prepared for some reading while you watch the movie.  -Unless, of course, you understand Mandarin. ;)

Then we headed over to Santa Monica to catch a vocal recital.  Interesting selection of repertoire - everything from Brahms to Neapolitan songs to Broadway to traditional Filipino and pop songs.  And there was even a "surprise guest".  Interesting.

Then it was off to dinner with a nice view of the beach in our sites.  Unfortunately, our waiter just didn't really seem to want to be there.  Interesting.

Then, on my suggestion, we headed over to the Wyndham Bel Age hotel to hear Phil Crosby since he has called me up and invited me to come hear him.  Well, we ended up not only hearing him sing, but also three other friends of him - well, at least of his bass player.  Interesting.

*However, Phil's mother, Peggy Crosby was there, as was Mr. Jack Klugman, and they both shared some very nice comments about What If? with me.  :)

And that was my day "off".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 02:40:07 AM »

And now to catch up yesterday's posts...

RE: Walking distance, Public Transportation in L.A. - I'm one who can walk and walk and not really tire from it.  At least in the moment.  Sometimes the physical exertion and exercise does catch up with me at the end of the day, but, all in all, I like walking, so I walk.  -Even  when I'm in NYC, if I'm not in a rush to get anywhere, the walk from the Village up to Times Square is a normal thing for me to do - it's the best way to learn what's in the neighborhood(s).

As for getting around L.A. the past couple of weeks, I really haven't found myself that inconvenienced.  Yes, at times, it may take me a bit longer than I'd like to get from one place to another.  I do have to plan some of routes and departure times accordingly.  However, there has been more than one occasion where I've been riding the Gold Line train while watching the highway traffic outside crawl and creep along at it's own volume and/or accident induced pace.  *And I've had similar experiences in D.C.  And I've also had situations where I was meeting some friends someplace, and I ended up getting "there" early or on-time, but they ended up getting stuck in traffic and/or driving around looking for a parking space.

There's still a bit of this city I've yet to explore, and the Metro and bus system has gotten me to where I've wanted to go.  So far, at least.  Even now, whenever I get off at the Hollywood and Vine or the Hollywood and Highland stop I usually vary my walking route to the theatre.  Sometimes I walk on this side of the street, sometimes that one.  Sometimes, I make a slight detour up to another block.  And, sometimes I do end up taking the Metro Rapid bus up to Santa Monica Blvd.  It's all a matter of time and mood.

On my walks, I make note of stores and restaurants I want to check out later - or not.  And once I find myself in the neighborhood again, then I start to check the various  places off my list.

Distance really isn't a factor for me when walking.  Time is.  I consider a "reasonable" walk to be anything under 30 minutes - if I have the time to do so.  Depending upon my personal pacing on a given day, I can walk a mile in usually 15-20 minutes.  And on days where I do have the luxury to take some leisurely exploring time, I can walk and walk for two to three hours.

*I've also gotten in the habit - to the surprise of a few people - of walking back to the Hollywood and Vine stop after the show.  I feel safe along that stretch of Santa Monica Blvd. and then Vine - there's just too many people out on the streets at the time.  I also use that walk - and time - to "warm down" from the show.  And it's a great way to stretch my legs after sitting down for nearly two hours straight.

The waits for the busses can vary, but most of the bus stops have a general timetable posted on them.  And the wait for a Metro train may seem like at an eternity, but, in general, they run every 12-20 minutes depending upon the time of day.  -And I've had longer waits on subway platforms in NYC and DC.  *And the waits in DC can seem especially long since they installed the messages boards indicating how long it will be before the next train arrives.  A watched pot...

*And, coincidentally, the NY Times had an article about L.A. Metro system in yesterday's edition.

**Don't get me wrong, I do like driving.  In fact, there are times when I love driving.  But, for now, I'm in L.A. without a car and getting by pretty well if I may say so myself.  And I just did.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 02:45:35 AM »

DR JRand54 - I usually do have my camera with me at all times.  So, if I find myself in the neighborhood, I'll try my best to snap a pic of Ms. Hayes former digs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 02:49:56 AM »

As for Spielberg films: "Schindler's List", "Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Close Encounters", "Catch Me If You Can", ... and a few others I know I'm forgetting at this time of night/morning.

John Williams' scores - Just copy and paste the previous films I mentioned here.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 02:52:48 AM »

Well, since I have to meet Bruce and Tammy 10 hours from now... Which means I will need to leave here in about 8 hours from now... Which means I will need to be up 6 (possibly 7) hours from now... ;)

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

beckon

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 05:37:53 AM »

Favorite Spielberg Movie:

It has to be the first Indiana Jones movie.  I did not see it when it first came out, because I am not an adventure movie type of person.  I've never really been a fan of those old movie serials which I believe Indiana Jones was honoring/imitating.  I saw it a few years later on video, because I wondered what the whole hoopla was about.  Well...surprise, surprise....I loved it!  I saw it that first time with my parents and they both loved it also.  And they both like adventure movies even less than I do!
The sequels are fine, but the "surprise enjoyment" of the first makes that one stand out to me.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 05:52:49 AM »

I haven't seen every Spielberg movies (notably, I've missed The Color Purple and Amistad). But if I had to pick three favorites, they would be Schindler's List; Jaws; and E.T. (Catch Me If You Can would be right up there, too.)

John Williams? Schindler's List; Catch Me If You Can; Harry Potter and the Philsopher's Stone ...

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 06:24:08 AM »

The actor Peter Woodthorpe died on April 13. His obituary appears in today's NY Times. I found the British obituary more informative.

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/story.jsp?story=554511

I recognized his name from Darling of the Day. (He played Oxford, the gallery owner who sings "He's a Genius" and "Panache.")

Peter Woodthorpe played Estragon in the first British production of Waiting for Godot, starred alongside the Lunts in the Broadway production of The Visit, and gave an award-winning performance in The Caretaker.

(As an aside, the British obituary includes the name of the theatre beside the name of the play. The NY Times must have misread this. Darling of the Day played at the George Abbott Theatre, but the Times refers to the show as a George Abbott production.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 06:28:15 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 06:26:01 AM »

Coming 10/12 (finally) on DVD - DAMN YANKEES!  What a day for DVDs since that is also the release date for the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT Box Set and the Deluxe 7 BRIDES.

Re Spielberg: Am I the only one who thinks ET is the most over-rated film in history?  I enjoyed it, but never could figure out why this cute little film became so popular (Oh - a WICKED reference) and why people saw it again and again.  It was cute, but hardly the kind of film I would have ever expected to be such a major hit.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 06:58:45 AM »

We visited some neighbors this weekend. I mentioned that I had just reconnected with my cousin, who's a rabbi in Oregon. I also referred to my cousin's family.

"Really?" said one of the neighbor's other guests, a woman who seemed educated and worldly. "I didn't realize that rabbis could have children."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 06:59:26 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 07:18:52 AM »

I just want to mention that I am in a foul mood, it seems.....

This past weekend was my last before the semester began, and I went and got sick Saturday night.  That sort of late summer cold/flu type thing that is just so annoying.  The kind of sick that kept me in bed all day yesterday (during which I missed a beautiful, long thunderstorm -- I being one of those who really loves a good thunderstorm).  If it weren't for the students returning today, and my needing to be here to open the BO and train new work-study employees, I would still be in bed.

Fave Spielberg:  COLOR PURPLE, SCHINDLER'S LIST
Fave Williams:  Not being a movie person, I don't really recall what composers scored which movies....but the man who came up with those basses going "da-dum da-dum da-dum" in JAWS has to be almost as brilliant as the man who came up with the shrieking violins in PSYCHO.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 07:21:00 AM »

Reading about Jose's walks has energized me. So I'm going on my own walk right now. Laters (a Jose reference!).

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 07:33:27 AM »

I checked out the the list of Speilberg movies on the IMDB...and I hadn't realized how many of the man's films I have not seen. But my two favorites are DUEL and STAR WARS.

As for John Williams I was always fond of the music from STAR WARS and unbeknownst to me he did the theme for the TV series LAND OF THE GIANTS which I love.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2004, 07:40:21 AM »

DR MBarnum, Stephen Spielberg did not have anything to do with STAR WARS to my knowledge.

My favorite is SCHINDLER'S LIST followed closely by RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Funny, but I find myself re-watching INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE more often than RAIDERS.

Least favorite would have to be HOOK but I didn't care for EMPIRE OF THE SUN either. ALWAYS is spotty as well, but it's better than HOOK or EMPIRE for me.

Love all of John Williams' scores, but I guess RAIDERS would be my favorite just because it's so much fun.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2004, 07:42:55 AM »

I haven't seen THE TERMINAL, and I probably won't until it premieres on In-Demand or comes out on DVD.

And I've repeated here my story of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS costing me a movie reviewing job, so I won't go through it again.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2004, 07:58:32 AM »

Another of Spielberg's films I've never warmed to at all is '1941.' Several friends think it's hilarious, and when I first got that elaborate laserdisc box for practically nothing when stores were almost giving away laserdiscs in the late 1990s, some friends came over on several occasions to see the film and the extras. I suffered through all those showings as the film seemed to me even less funny than when I first saw it at the theater. They continued to find it very funny.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2004, 08:52:02 AM »

DR MBarnum, Stephen Spielberg did not have anything to do with STAR WARS to my knowledge.

OH, well, I guess that is one less on my list of two! LOL! I guess he is just not a favorite film maker for me! Well, I am more of a Roger Corman man anyhow.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2004, 08:55:30 AM »

Coming 10/12 (finally) on DVD - DAMN YANKEES!  What a day for DVDs since that is also the release date for the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT Box Set and the Deluxe 7 BRIDES.

Re Spielberg: Am I the only one who thinks ET is the most over-rated film in history?  I enjoyed it, but never could figure out why this cute little film became so popular (Oh - a WICKED reference) and why people saw it again and again.  It was cute, but hardly the kind of film I would have ever expected to be such a major hit.

I imagine that will always be true.  

I've always thought it magical and enthralling.  It touches chords deep within me.  

I've always felt sorry for people who can't feel it the way I do.  

I've also been very grateful for the way it touches me each time I see it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 09:02:16 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2004, 08:56:58 AM »

The little 1941 cult eludes me.  It was horrible then, it's horrible now, but Williams' score to it is very good.  Yes, Star Wars has nothing to do with Spielberg - it is, of course, George Lucas' film.

Now, might I ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Mondays lately have seemed more like an extension of lazy Sundays rather than the beginning of a new week.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2004, 08:58:32 AM »

Oh, and if I recall correctly, our very own dear reader Pogue has been quite vocal in his dislike for ET.  For me, it works perfectly.  I saw it opening night, the premiere, at the Dome, pre any of the insane hype.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2004, 08:58:59 AM »

There is a very important "Star Wars" association that Spielberg has -- he suggested, and introduced, John Williams to George Lucas for the scoring assignment.

And Spielberg got a "piece" of the gross...apparently for services rendered in some capacity.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2004, 09:05:04 AM »

For some reason I have always confused George Lucas and Spielberg. But then a lot of that 1970s and 80s stuff is a blurr to me as I have never watched that many films from those two decades.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2004, 09:05:43 AM »

I just want to mention that I am in a foul mood, it seems.....

This past weekend was my last before the semester began, and I went and got sick Saturday night.  That sort of late summer cold/flu type thing that is just so annoying.  The kind of sick that kept me in bed all day yesterday (during which I missed a beautiful, long thunderstorm -- I being one of those who really loves a good thunderstorm).  If it weren't for the students returning today, and my needing to be here to open the BO and train new work-study employees, I would still be in bed.

Fave Spielberg:  COLOR PURPLE, SCHINDLER'S LIST
Fave Williams:  Not being a movie person, I don't really recall what composers scored which movies....but the man who came up with those basses going "da-dum da-dum da-dum" in JAWS has to be almost as brilliant as the man who came up with the shrieking violins in PSYCHO.  

John Williams wrote "Jaws" (and "Star Wars" and all its sequels, and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and all its sequels, and "Superman" and "E.T." and "Schindler's List" and "Empire of the Sun" and "Always" and "A.I." and "Witches of Eastwick" and "The Accidental Tourist" and "Seven Years in Tibet" and on and on and on...)

Bernard Herrmann is the genius who wrote "Psycho" and many other brilliant, one-of-a-kind film scores.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2004, 09:09:47 AM »

We visited some neighbors this weekend. I mentioned that I had just reconnected with my cousin, who's a rabbi in Oregon. I also referred to my cousin's family.

"Really?" said one of the neighbor's other guests, a woman who seemed educated and worldly. "I didn't realize that rabbis could have children."

For anyone who has seen M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs", I have a question that might make me as clueless as the woman Dan has mentioned.

In "Signs", Mel Gibson plays a man who has given up his profession as a "priest."  He wore the clerical collar, and in one scene, a former parishioner tries to do confession with him.  My question:  I know priests of the Catholic church are supposed to be celibate and not marry, but in this film Gibson has a family.  What other faith has priests who hear confessions?  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 09:10:33 AM by RLP »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2004, 09:10:09 AM »

As Dear Reader Jose has already reported, he and I shared a very full and culturally varied day yesterday.

Hero is an interesting motion picture.  Until yesterday, I had never seen a martial arts film (artistic or otherwise.)  Somehow, I missed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon when it was in theatres and I have not yet rented it for home viewing.

Although I drifted during several of Hero's rather static and talky scenes, the action/fight scenes were completely engaging.  The cinematography of these scenes is beautfully composed and the only word I can use to describe the actors' movement in these scenes is balletic.  

After the movie, we went to hear a friend of mine, an aspiring tenor, do a recital he called "Around the World in 80 Minutes."  My friend has a beautiful voice, has been doing well in the vocal competition circuit and has received encouragement from knowledgeable people (Marilyn Horne is one of them) to continue pursuing his goal of a career in opera.

Unfortunately, yesterday's concert was disappointing.  There was only one operatic piece on the program, and that was there to showcase the talents of a guest soprano.  The first half of the program was bits and pieces, to use DR Jose's term, and a bit disjointed.  The second half included an underrehearsed Cole Porter medley, for which my friend was joined by another singer (with an untrained voice.)  

Dinner with a view of the ocean was nice, but our waiter clearly had recently arrived from some other planet and had not yet acclimated himself to Earthling interaction.

From there it was to a cabaret-ish show by an acquaintance of DR Jose at a hotel lounge in West Hollywood.  I shall remain mum on the vocal talent of said friend of DR Jose, but will say that the instrumental trio he had behind him was terrif!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2004, 09:17:10 AM »

From there it was to a cabaret-ish show by an acquaintance of DR Jose at a hotel lounge in West Hollywood.  I shall remain mum on the vocal talent of said friend of DR Jose, but will say that the instrumental trio he had behind him was terrif!

May I ask for a clarification?

Did this acquaintance take place at a hotel lounge in West Hollywood, or was that where the cabaret-ish show was presented?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2004, 09:30:10 AM »

May I ask for a clarification?

Did this acquaintance take place at a hotel lounge in West Hollywood, or was that where the cabaret-ish show was presented?

Jose knows dis guy, OK?  Dis guy has himself a cabaret act.  All fancy.  He sings.  Yeah, he sings, wid dis great trio playin' for him.  Are youze following me?  Last night dey wuz playin' at dis lounge.  De lounge is in dis hotel in West Hollywood.  

Is dat clear enuf for you?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up