Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS WILL BE A VERY NICE HOUSE  (Read 12108 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THIS WILL BE A VERY NICE HOUSE
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2004, 12:35:05 PM »

Congratulations on the success, JRand!!

I've lived in a few multi-story apartments, but as far as houses, I've only lived in two single-story houses (my parents' and the one I'm living in now, which I'm renting from my sister).  I don't know if I really have a preference.  Just as long as I can fit in all my stuff (and I have a lot...and have a hard time letting go), I'm fine.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2004, 12:35:14 PM »

We even have 0 count them 0 guests.  Oh, well, we'll have a fine bitch-slapping fest tomorrow, let me tell you.  I will be merciless with the bitch-slapping machinery.

And MOST EXCELLENT VIBES AND XYLOPHONES for our very own Grant Geissman who will soon be on his way to the Emmy Awards.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2004, 12:35:40 PM »

And what exactly constitutes a "ranch" house, anyway?  Anything that's one-story or what?  I've never known.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2004, 12:35:53 PM »

Well, no one can say we didn't get to page two.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2004, 12:47:53 PM »

I went to the Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum last night, Dear Readers, to see Lillian Hellman's Watch on the Rhine.

Attending theatre at the WGTB is always a pleasure and a bit of an adventure.  It is located in Topanga, high up in the hills, with the western San Fernando Valley about six miles to the north, and Malibu and the Pacific Ocean about six miles to the south.  It is as rural an area as one might find in Los Angeles County.  Hilly, heavily wooded and sparsely developed, the character of the Topanga area has always been one of independence, with hints of funkiness and counter-culture evident.

Will Geer established the WGTB as an outlet for him and his fellow black-listed members of the theatre/film community to practice their art.  They do four plays each summer season, usually one or two Shakespeare plays and two or three classic plays, be they antique or of more modern vintage.  Various musical events (including an annual Woody Guthrie hootenany) and children's activities are held there, too.

The theatre at the WGTB is outdoors, in a sylvan setting.  A semi-circular amphitheatre with wooden bench seats rises from the stage.  The box office, snack stand, dressing rooms and other outbuildings are all in wooden shacks that remind me of the outbuildings typical at the summer camps I went to in my younger days.  The people who run the place are all very laid back and pleasant.  If one chooses to park in the small parking lot at the WGTB (most people park alongside the road), there's a three dollar charge collected on the honor system in a basket hanging on the gate by the path to the theatre.  It's easy to forget that you are only fifty miles from downtown Los Angeles at the WGTB.

Watch on the Rhine was written in 1940 to encourage the United States' entry into the war then raging in Europe, and some have pigeon-holed the play as a pro-war polemic.  The excellent performance last night led me, instead, to the conclusion that what the play is really about is our--by "our" I mean individually, and collectively, as a nation--utmost need to steer clear of complacency about social issues of great import.  The family depicted in the play is initially shown as rather ignorant and self-centered.  By its conclusion, after the family has had its eyes opened to the lengths to which people will fight against--and for--the fascist movement in Europe, the usually scatter-brained matriarch of the family, warmly played by Ellen Geer, wisely says, "We are shaken out of the magnolias, eh?"
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 12:53:40 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2004, 01:20:44 PM »

I'm on my way to the theater.  Thirty-four postings at one-thirty.  You'd think this was a Sunday.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2004, 01:38:33 PM »

I love quite a few of the Kander/Ebb songs, but "A Quiet Thing" has special meaning to me. I also love "You Could Never Shame Me" and "I Don't Remember You."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2004, 01:40:33 PM »

I spent a pleasant afternoon doing laundry while watching WILL & GRACE - Season 3. There are some truly hilarious episodes. None of the four principals had quite turned into a cartoon yet, so the show is still very funny.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2004, 01:41:58 PM »

Looking at the beautiful days we've had this weekend, it's hard to imagine in two more days, it's going to be (more than likely) dark, stormy, windy, and extremely wet - the parts of Ivan that reach us my mid-week.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2004, 01:42:05 PM »

Mr. Ebb, while not always brilliant in later years, was a class act - his lyrics for Cabaret are perfection.

Now, might I ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  I still haven't been able to score the Alias box set - and now it will probably have to wait until after the move.
We scored it.

Much better packaging than the previous two seasons.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2004, 01:49:18 PM »

And what exactly constitutes a "ranch" house, anyway?  Anything that's one-story or what?  I've never known.
One floor, with buttermilk paint dipped on the walls.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2004, 01:58:34 PM »

I'm still hacking away with my chest cold, which has been going on long enough that my lungs feel bruised.  So does my head, on the inside.  Bleh.

Der Brucer is off to the hardware store, checking on fencing materials.  With any luck, we'll get a new doggy door installed in the kitchen door, with an enclosure running down along the side of the house and connecting with the downstairs yard we've already had set up for the pack.  Now, instead of wiping off their muddy feet on the basement floor before charging up, the dogs will be able to come directly into the kitchen and leave paw prints in my cooking area!  Isn't that going to be special!

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2004, 01:59:38 PM »

Fred Ebb's obit is now at Playbill-on-Line, too.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2004, 02:03:08 PM »

I am leaving now to head to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion downtown.  I will be seeing/hearing the premiere of the Los Angeles Opera's new production of Richard Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos, directed by William Friedkin.  Report later.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2004, 02:03:57 PM »

Hi folks!

Wow, not many posts today.  

Still waiting on good ol'Ivan to make up his mind where he wants to go.  I don't know if I'm to go to work or not.  

I went out for a little while and bought a couple DVD's The Mark Of Zorro with Tyrone Power and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir one of my all time favorites.

Good new house vibes to Bruce.  Are you going to have a house warming party?  And what about "Singing Bird"?  Are you going to leave a trail for him/her to follow you to the new abode?  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2004, 02:04:47 PM »

Yesterday, der Brucer and I were listening to Dawn Upshaw's Vernon Duke album.  Some of it is quite good, and some...well, she has a great voice, but not a varied one.

I came to the decision that Dawn Upshaw's singing is best discribed as languorous.  It reminds me of those photographs of women from the late 1940's, who would be supine on chiase lounges, dressed in chiffon nightgowns with matching chapeaus.

Where is Danny Kaye's Anatoile when you need him?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2004, 02:07:40 PM »

I feel very sorry right now for John Kander.  He's lost not just a working partner, but a life-long friend.  Vibes to him, to help make Fred Ebb's passing easier to take.

Danise

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2004, 02:18:35 PM »

Congrats, JRand!!

I remember our first color TV and the "Don't sit to close to it--it will harm your eyes!!"   Now we stick our faces into "TV" screens all day while at work.   We got ours to watch the Rose Parade to see all the lovely floats in color.

Emily do keep us updated on your Aunt!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 02:19:22 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2004, 02:43:18 PM »

Oh...thanks for the congrats, everyone!  And we get to do the show four more times!

I THINK a ranch house is a one story house - and it usually has a certain type of window....casement sliding...rather than the colonial raise and lower....but I have been wrong before.

You know, the more I watch HERE'S LUCY, the more I see Lucie Arnaz in what Debra Messing is doing on W/G - stopped watching some time ago, but am subjected to her in endless reruns while clicking around the dial or waiting for a GOOD show to come on.  

Lucie herself (at least in HERE'S LUCY - I like her on the PLAYING OUR SONG album & I saw her with Tommy Tune in SEESAW and she was good) displays the hubris and high school type of performing that suggests she thinks she is on the show because of her ability and NOT her mother....but she was wrong!  Her song and dance sequences (she sings with Wayne Newton at one point and dances with Ginger Rogers!) suggest more confidence than actual talent, she pretends to be in on the jokes....but the joke is on her.  My...I guess I just dissed her....but then, I have seen the shows.

Anyway - heading into Sunday evening and hope to be at the chat!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2004, 02:44:32 PM »

Oh DRDANISE, the first show we saw in color as soon as the man from Sears hooked us up - was the hideous MIDWESTERN HAYRIDE on the WLW channel out of Cincinnati....all those clogging outfits...all those cowboy shirts...mandolins, fiddles, and steel guitars....

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2004, 02:58:48 PM »

I'm watching the shopping channel. It's like one very long infomercial.

I have homework, but I'm too tired to do anything but watch TV and read the message board. I'm also waiting for my Cherry Coke to get cold in the fridge.

As you can tell, it's a very busy day.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2004, 03:02:53 PM »

I'm back from a LONG day - half-day.
I was a volunteer this morning - not a runner. Running (well, walking) would have been more fun, but I did my bit. handing out numbers, checking people off, that kind of thing.

Later in the morning I went to the most wonderful memorial service.  I'll post about it later.

I'm not going to cheerlead. Let's just post, shall we? We're all pretty interesting people with interesting things to say. So let's say them.

Panni

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2004, 03:06:45 PM »

I'll start a topic. What emerged as the main theme of the Memorial Service celebrating the life of Dan Petrie, Sr. was that here was a man who mattered in the world. He mattered in his work, he mattered to his family, he mattered to everyone he met. He truly touched the lives of the people with whom he came in contact. So my question is... In what way (so far) do you think you have "changed" the world? And by changed, I don't mean discovering the cure for cancer. It can be as simple (not that it's simple) as making your partner happy or as complicated as... Whatever. How about some posts on the topic?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 03:39:34 PM by Panni »

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2004, 03:33:10 PM »

Here is my Bollywood movie for this weekend:

TAXI DRIVER (1954). Just finished watching it and it was a nice, cute movie. I don't know if this is the same Bollywood film that BK saw that was about a taxi driver and didin't care for, or not.

And who knew there were Indian cab drivers in India, too!

Danise

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2004, 03:37:00 PM »

Hi all!

Just got off the phone with my boss.  County Center is CLOSED at least through tomorrow!  Guess I'm off tomorrow--Whoopie!   Sounds like a DVD day to me!

Gee, JRand, I don't remember what was on when it was connected.  Just the reason why we got it so it must have been around Christmas.  

I'm having fun with B&B right now.  Bear won't move from next to me.  I'm trying to give some goodies to Brandi (Bear get's more then his fair share, trust me) so I put the goodies on Bears side and Brandi is using him as a "table".  Lot's of crumbs.   :D

Hummm, Panni.  That's a good topic but I think I would have to say I haven't done anything.  At least, nothing comes to mind.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2004, 03:42:27 PM »

Hummm, Panni.  That's a good topic but I think I would have to say I haven't done anything.  At least, nothing comes to mind.

How about giving a home to animals who love and depend on you? How about being a loving daughter who takes care of her elderly mother? How about doing your job well and making a difference in the lives of your co-workers? ...And that's just the tip of the iceberg, Danise.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2004, 03:42:54 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....food for thought DRPANNI....hmmmmmmmm

Panni

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2004, 03:46:22 PM »

Kiefer Sutherland made an extremely heartfelt speech at the memorial about something that Dan Petrie had said to him when he was 16 -- and how that changed his life. He said - and he started to cry - that he was truly sorry he didn't have the chance to tell Petrie that while he was still alive.
I wonder how many of us have impacted lives we are unaware of? Or have had our lives changed by someone who doesn't know the difference he or she has made?

Panni

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2004, 03:53:57 PM »

Sidney Poitier said the same kind of thing - except that went back 40 years - and I think he had a chance to tell Dan Petrie. I spoke with Sutherland and Mr. Poitier briefly after the Memorial and both men were very humble and nice (I can't think of a better word - sorry.)

Panni

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2004, 03:54:55 PM »

Now I'm going to feed and walk the hound. But first...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up