Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS WILL BE A VERY NICE HOUSE  (Read 12141 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THIS WILL BE A VERY NICE HOUSE
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2004, 03:59:26 PM »

PAGE THREE DANCE!

Panni

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2004, 04:01:37 PM »

...And EXCELLENT VIBES to Mr. Grant Geissman on Emmy Night!

Tomovoz

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2004, 04:02:56 PM »

Great topic/question DR Panni.
As with a few other DRs - Teaching has meant a great deal in terms of satisfaction in that is a hope that you really have made a difference- often the feedback is many years later with that chance meeting with an ex-student.

I hope that if I have made a difference it is because of a lesson from my mother - listening often gives far more to a friend than talking. Loyal friendship really makes a difference in this world.  At times I have "reached out" to people I have met on this site - this has made a difference in how I have coped with other situations in my life.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2004, 04:05:01 PM »

I knew Dan Petrie fairly well, and thank you for reporting on the memorial.

I never met Fred Ebb, but this year I had the chance to play my favorite Kander & Ebb song in a cabaret, Why Should I Wake Up?  The highlight of the year was working with John Kander and a wonderful young singer on their song, Colored Lights.

Just off the top of my head, Kander & Ebb songs I'm especially fond of include
Walking Among My Yesterdays
I Don't Remember You
A Quiet Thing
My Own Space
The Only Game In Town
everything in Cabaret and Chicago
My Coloring Book
Sara Lee
and, for some reason, for days now, I've been humming one of their death songs, Happy Birthday To Me
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2004, 04:06:47 PM »

LOL... thanks Danise and Jane for giving good wishes to my aunt in Mobile.

It's strange to think though that the storm is just a little more than 5 days from actually reaching land and yet we are hearing so much about it!

The newscasts make it seem much closer than it actually is...

I'm sure my aunt will be fine - what sucks is that the science museum she's the exec. director for in Mobile is supposed to be holding a major fundraiser this coming weekend...

OOPS ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 04:07:15 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2004, 04:08:42 PM »

I have a not-so-serious answer to Panni's query.

A year ago, I took a job teaching at a college in New Jersey, a state I've long avoided.  I didn't know what I would find, or, really, what I would teach.  I encouraged these Jerseyans to be themselves, to follow their dreams, to not be afraid of being who they are, to not be crippled by potential embarrassment.

The next thing I knew, the Governor of New Jersey came out of the closet.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2004, 04:11:55 PM »

Mr Ebb's  lyrics would quite possibly the most played in this house - surprisingly perhaps more than Mr Sondheim's.
"A Quiet Thing" is my favourite. There will be less "Colored Lights" in the theatre now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 04:32:28 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2004, 04:28:12 PM »

Several years ago, I used to be part of a singing workshop.  We all picked songs and our instructor, Mark Anton, would critique us and help us perform the song...coach us, not so much "singing lessons."  Anyway, I had the "And the World Goes 'Round" songbook, and loved the duet "I Don't Remember You" and "Sometimes a Day Goes By."  The songbook does not have the duet arrangement that is in the show, but I transcribed the melody lines from the recording and our pianist Eric and Claudia, another person in the group figured out the piano chords for one spot that I coulnd't figure out and it all fit together.  This other woman Judy sang "Sometimes a Day Goes By" and I did "I Don't Remember You" for a performance and we had a great time.  A lot of people came up to us afterwards asking about the songs and who wrote them.  That was one of the best performances I ever gave.  I love those songs and that duet arrangement.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2004, 04:34:52 PM »

Houses: This is the country where house ownership is supposedly the norm. It is not a land of apartment blocks etc. The great Australian Dream is "home ownership".

I may return with some "house songs".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2004, 04:36:25 PM »

Just thought "House" is a particular type of "Dance Music" from the eighties I think. It may have been a specific label.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2004, 04:37:14 PM »

Another experience with a Kander/Ebb song:  I was working with a wonderful jazz pianist Joe Baque (I think he was 79 at the time; he's now 82 and still going strong) and I wanted to put two songs together.  I knew he knew "When I Fall In Love" so I didn't have to get that music.  But I wanted to pair it with "A Quiet Thing" (they have similar starting lines...both start at low notes, similar styles, etc.).  Anyway, I got Joe the music for "A Quiet Thing" and wanted the two songs to start on the same note, even though they have totally different key relationships, but Joe was able to improvise a bridge between the two songs to have the first notes of each song be the same starting note (in different keys).  He did it fabulously!  He loved "A Quiet Thing," which he had never heard, and thought the idea of pairing the two songs was a great idea...which it was, if I do say so myself. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2004, 04:37:49 PM »

And finally:  I won't be able to be at chat tonight. :( Friends of my parents' (they've known each other for more than 30 years) are visiting from Spokane.  We're all going to get together and visit, since tonight is the last night that they'll be in town.  Actually, they're leaving tomorrow morning, but I'll be at work.  So have a great chat and post away!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2004, 04:37:49 PM »

I am off to visit the Post Office - last chance for my ship to arrived! (a DRs Panni & DiT reference!) - before I leave these shores for France.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2004, 04:40:42 PM »

Noel - The turnout for the memorial was huge. The DGA theater was filled almost to capacity. The film clips were masterfully edited and presented. And the speakers - including Jane Alexander, Michael Apted, Fay Kanin, Gil Cates, Donald and Dan Petrie, Jr., Sutherland and Poitier -  were all excellent. There was even a member of the Canadian Senate from Nova Scotia. Before Poitier came on, the scene from RAISIN in which he decides to move into the house was shown. Boy, is that powerful!
Dan Jr. told a great story about coming to his father after getting his first directing gig.
"What's the most important bit of advice, dad?"
The answer: "Get a flu shot."
Someone else told the story of a nervous Petrie Sr. wondering how he could ever tell Laurence Olivier how to act. He solved the problem by walking up to Olivier on the first day of production and saying, "I want to get one thing straight before we get started. There's only one person in charge here. ...And that's you."
Olivier roared with laughter and there wasn't a moment's problem after that.

Panni

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2004, 04:51:19 PM »

I hope your ship comes in, Tom! I will never ever mail anything "overland" again.

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2004, 05:03:09 PM »

I'll get back with a reply/response to that post in six weeks DR Panni.
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2004, 05:05:33 PM »

How about giving a home to animals who love and depend on you? How about being a loving daughter who takes care of her elderly mother? How about doing your job well and making a difference in the lives of your co-workers? ...And that's just the tip of the iceberg, Danise.

Ahhh.... Blush.

S. Woody White,  I don't like the sound of that chest cold.  Have you ever tried the old tried and true honey, whiskey (yuck) and lemon cure?  Equal parts of each mixed.   Pretty bad, I know, but it does work.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2004, 05:10:36 PM »

What channel are the Emmy awards on and what time do they start at?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2004, 05:14:45 PM »

Good winning vibes to MR GRANT GEISMANN
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2004, 05:16:03 PM »

I don't see them listed DR MS.....hmmmmmmmm
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2004, 05:18:13 PM »

and you needed these:

A little House For Mama - (Sondheim)
Take Care Of This House (Bernstein)
This Ol' House - Rosemary clooney
The Third House - Bobby Rydell
House Of Blue Lights - Chuck Miller
House Of Bamboo - Earl Grant
House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals (and many others)
Bless This House - Many versions
Our House - Crosby. Stills, Nash & Young
This Old House - Crosby, Stills , Nash & Young
The House That Jack Built - Aretha Franklin
A House Is Not a Home - Jack Jones
This House Goes On Sale... - Peter Paul & Mary

James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2004, 05:18:33 PM »

Ahhh.... Blush.

S. Woody White,  I don't like the sound of that chest cold.  Have you ever tried the old tried and true honey, whiskey (yuck) and lemon cure?  Equal parts of each mixed.   Pretty bad, I know, but it does work.
I haven't had much to drink at all over the past week, other than orange juice, water, and diet Pepsi.  (But not in the same glass...yuch!)  

And I'm not going to even think of asking for anything hard to drink right now.

The "bruising" of the lungs is simply from my coughing so hard.  If I can avoid coughing, I'm much better off.  This means staying as still as I can... but der Brucer wants too many chores taken care of, where he needs me to do the lifting...

There's a small battle to be waged over dinner.  He's sick of cooking already, and wants me to do it.  I don't want to move.  Such is love.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2004, 05:18:55 PM »

and of course "Cottage For Sale" - Nat King Cole
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2004, 05:21:38 PM »

What channel are the Emmy awards on and what time do they start at?

Certain categories are not presented on the telecast night - including GG's. The Emmies are held and broadcast next Sunday. Tonight is a prelim awards night. The winners will be listed - probably with little clips - on the televised awards.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2004, 05:22:09 PM »

I need to shlumpf in front of the TV, and watch E! Network.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2004, 05:23:12 PM »

I haven't had much to drink at all over the past week, other than orange juice, water, and diet Pepsi.  (But not in the same glass...yuch!)  

And I'm not going to even think of asking for anything hard to drink right now.

Well. you don't drink glasses of it.  Just a teaspoon or a tablespoon at most.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2004, 05:31:42 PM »

I need to shlumpf in front of the TV, and watch E! Network.

"Schlumpf" is a good word for watching E!....

Michael

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2004, 05:31:58 PM »

As much as I liked Fred Ebb's work and his second class work was better than most of the contemporary work being shown in the theater today.

I lost respect for Mr. Ebb as a lyricist, a man of the theater and as a gay person when he voiced his opnion about Marc Shaiman and Scott Whitman kissing on the Tony Award awards after winning for best score for Hairspray. Instead of criticizing he should have celebrated that Shaiman and Whitman were able to do when Ebb could never have done it even in 1992 when he wrote a gay themed musical Kiss of the Spiderwoman and won a Tony Award for it.

He said

"I thought they made spectacle of themselves, frankly. I thought it was dumb. "

Fred Ebb -- one half of the famed Broadway musical team Kander and Ebb -- is grousing about the big smooch that songwriting team (and lifelong partners) Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman planted on each other on national television after they won a Tony for Hairspray.

I thought they made spectacle of themselves, frankly. I thought it was dumb. " Ebb complained to interviewer Randy Shulman. "Your bedroom is not the screen, " he says. "And it is also not the stage. Say ‘Thank you’ to the people who helped you get where you are, ‘thank you’ to the source material, ‘thank you’ to the players and sit down. " Nobody has any right to intrude his private life on a mass audience, " he grumbles. "It is intrusive. "

Instead, Ebb asserts, any statement that he and Kander wish to make about homosexuality has been made through their songs. But then Ebb takes a sudden turn and brings up his Kiss of the Spider Woman, a musical that dealt very directly with a love between men.

"That’s how you make a statement, " he says. "That’s how you raise a flag. Through your art. I don’t have to do it through my mouth in front of millions of people and make myself look like an idiot.

Ebb should have complained when hetrosexual couples kissed on screen.

PS John Kander also refuses to talk his sexuality.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 05:33:33 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2004, 05:32:35 PM »

We're very close to page 4...

Panni

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2004, 05:33:09 PM »

I can almost smell it... An odd odor...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up