Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLASS SUNDAE  (Read 17016 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE GLASS SUNDAE
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2004, 10:36:21 AM »

Hmmmmm my computer is having problems...hmmmmmmm
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2004, 10:38:15 AM »

...TWO!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2004, 10:42:35 AM »

Do any Jewish Hainsies and Kimlets have a good honey cake recipe?

The deli my mom used to buy it from was sold last year to a Vietnamese family. We hadn't noticed any change in their offerrings until this...

Is it easy to make yourself?  

How about NOT the one I made last night......

Baked it for the recommended time.....did the toothpick test...not ready.

Added a few minutes.....did the toothpick test....still not ready.

Added a few more minutes.....did the toothpick test.....ready.

OR SO I THOUGHT!

Seems that it was underbaked, so portions of it collapsed when I turned it out of the pan.....my first baking mishap in a very VERY long time......

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2004, 10:44:53 AM »

How about NOT the one I made last night......

Baked it for the recommended time.....did the toothpick test...not ready.

Added a few minutes.....did the toothpick test....still not ready.

Added a few more minutes.....did the toothpick test.....ready.

OR SO I THOUGHT!

Seems that it was underbaked, so portions of it collapsed when I turned it out of the pan.....my first baking mishap in a very VERY long time......

It was, however, easy to put together, and (adding to my earlier post) SMELLED wonderful as it baked.  (Or partially baked, I guess)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2004, 10:46:50 AM »

This recipe was e-mailed to me this morning. The chef is reliable, but I haven't personally tested the recipe.

I find that honey cakes taste better the next day.

Majestic and Moist New Year's Honey Cake

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1 cup vegetable oil

1 cup honey (preferably buckwheat)

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup warm coffee or strong tea

1/2 cup fresh orange juice

1/4 cup rye or whiskey (see Note)

1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds (optional)

Instructions:

I like this cake best baked in a 9-inch angel food cake pan, but you can also make it in a 10-inch tube or bundt cake pan, a 9 by 13-inch sheetpan, or three 8 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pans.

Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease the pan (s). For tube and angel food pans, line the bottom with lightly greased parchment paper. For gift honey cakes, use "cake collars" designed to fit a specific loaf pan. These give the cakes an appealing, professional look.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Make a well in the center and add the oil, honey, sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee, orange juice, and rye or whiskey.

Using a strong wire whisk or an electric mixer on slow speed, combine the ingredients well to make a thick batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom of the bowl.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan (s) and sprinkle the top of the cake (s) evenly with the almonds. Place the cake pan (s) on 2 baking sheets stacked together (this will ensure the cakes bake evenly), and bake until the cake springs back when you touch it gently in the center. For angel and tube cake pans, bake for 60 to 70 minutes; loaf cakes, 45 to 55 minutes. For sheet-style cakes, the baking time is 40 to 45 minutes. This is a liquidy batter and, depending on your oven, it may need extra time. Cake should spring back when gently pressed.

Let the cake stand for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Then invert it onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Note: If you prefer to not use the whiskey, replace it with orange juice or coffee.

Serves 8-10

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2004, 11:00:05 AM »

Is everybody in tarnation?  Because they certainly ain't here!

Well, Tarnation doesn't have its premiere until Friday (at the Toronto International Film Festival). If I were attending any movie at the festival, I think it would be Jiminy Glick. And Tarnation is no Jiminy. Here's the précis.

Tarnation tells a story of personal damage that crosses three generations and takes many forms. From grandparents to mother to son, no one seems to have a solid grasp on reality; all are eccentric at best, psychotic at worst. Their sufferings include repeated shock treatments in Texas mental hospitals; a rape in Chicago; state-enforced separation of the child from his mother; physical, sexual and psychological abuse by foster parents; schizophrenia and depersonalization syndrome (mother and son, respectively); near-death and subsequent brain damage from a lithium overdose; and, eventually, chaotic lassitude and extreme dereliction.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2004, 11:12:27 AM »

Tarnation tells a story of personal damage that crosses three generations and takes many forms. From grandparents to mother to son, no one seems to have a solid grasp on reality; all are eccentric at best, psychotic at worst. Their sufferings include repeated shock treatments in Texas mental hospitals; a rape in Chicago; state-enforced separation of the child from his mother; physical, sexual and psychological abuse by foster parents; schizophrenia and depersonalization syndrome (mother and son, respectively); near-death and subsequent brain damage from a lithium overdose; and, eventually, chaotic lassitude and extreme dereliction.

What, no leprosy?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 11:12:56 AM by Stuart »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2004, 11:16:49 AM »

Ask BK:

In your career you have worn many hats.  Actor, Composer, Writer, Singer, Producer, Director, and lately Author (hope I have not left anything out).  Is there any hat you have not worn yet that you would like to do?

There are things within the hats that I've worn that I'd like to do, but as to a NEW hat - well, I'd love to paint, but I have absolutely no talent for it whatsoever.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2004, 11:17:23 AM »

I'm back in the house, staring out an open space where a window once was.  They are putting in a new one as I'm typing this.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2004, 11:18:22 AM »

BK, of all of your Randy Vicar stories which one is your favorite! That is my BK question for the day  :D

My favorite Randy Vicar story is always the latest one - right now it's The Randy Vicar and the Ingrown Toenail.  It's a corker.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2004, 11:21:56 AM »

I'm one who sees the glass sundae as half full, but melting quickly.

Ask BK - I know nothing about who earns royalties on record sales.  When it's a group of different writers and performers, like, say, a Lost In Boston, does money from each sale go to performers, writers, the producer?  Who?  (Oh, a Jerome Kern reference.)

The multiple artist CDs: No artist royalties unless the album sells over 50,000 or something (never in a million years) and even then it would be a miniscule percentage split amongst the artists.

Songwriters: They receive their publishing royalties, usually about four cents a song, that is IF the record label bothers paying them.  I never took a royalty on any of my albums - the only time I wish I had was on Titanic.  

Cast albums: The rights holders get a nice royalty but it doesn't kick in until after the album recoups, somewhere around the 12th of Never.

Emily

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2004, 11:31:18 AM »

Thank you Dan-In-TO!

It looks like a yummy recipe and I'll try it either tonight or tomorrow :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Panni

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2004, 11:31:45 AM »

There are things within the hats that I've worn that I'd like to do, but as to a NEW hat - well, I'd love to paint, but I have absolutely no talent for it whatsoever.

...That's never stopped anyone before.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2004, 11:32:01 AM »

Do any Jewish Hainsies and Kimlets have a good honey cake recipe?

The deli my mom used to buy it from was sold last year to a Vietnamese family. We hadn't noticed any change in their offerrings until this...

Is it easy to make yourself?  

My mom has the best honey cake recipe.  Although I'm not sure it would be similar to the kind you buy at the store, which to me seem very light in color.

And yes it's easy to make. I've made it myself a bunch of times.

Only thing is when do you need to make it?

Panni

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2004, 11:33:13 AM »

Thank you Dan-In-TO!

It looks like a yummy recipe and I'll try it either tonight or tomorrow :)

Or... you can empty a box of Manischewitz mix into a bowl and add water.

Panni

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2004, 11:38:30 AM »

I'm sitting here trying to remember the plot of a script I wrote maybe 3 years ago. And other than the beginning and one climactic scene, I've drawn a total blank. Can you believe that? I slaved over the thing for months -- with Fred Silverman as the creative producer, to boot (he was very good) -- and it's gone. I'll just have to dig it out and read it. (Wouldn't it be funny if it had the same plot as TARNATION. ...Actually, it wouldn't.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2004, 11:38:38 AM »

The lads (and lass) are all quite happy now.  The new doggy door has been installed in the kitchen.

They had to endure being shut in my room for entire morning, of course, while Son-in-Law and his workmen got the work done.  THAT was not pleasant, as they couldn't understand what all the strange noises in their house were about.  Only Fletcher was unperturbed (the advantage of being deaf).

But finally, oh bliss, it was agreed that I could let them out of their confines.  They dashed as a group to the living room window, and let the workmen know in no uncertain terms that...well, this is a family site, let's leave that for now.  Then they dashed into the kitchen.

What was this?  There was something different about the door: they could see through it!  One by one, they nosed the new door, unsure about what to do next.  Finally, I just grabbed Buster by the collar and gave him a little shove.  OH!  So that's what this is all about!  He scooted through, followed by Fletcher.  Bonnie sniffed the door a couple more times, Fletcher came back in and went back out, and then Mikey decided to give it a try.  Then, yes, Bonnie tried it.

And all were happy...I think.  I'm not sure about Marty, who has backed away from the door so far, but he'll come around.

The only downside to the day is that it's been raining.  An extra towel has been laid down, to catch muddy paws.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2004, 11:40:05 AM »

Think of that new house!  Think of all those walls!  A blank page or canvas!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2004, 11:43:20 AM »

Hey what did you guys think of BB5 last night?  I was actually happy.  Although I couldn't believe that Jen said she would never vote for Cowboy.  That seemed really mean-spirited to me.

I won't talk about TAR till tomorrow (MBarnum, you haven't seen it yet, right?). But the ending left me both happy and mad!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2004, 11:50:41 AM »

Poor, s-i-m-p-l-e Cowboy.  He really thinks he's "better" than Nakomis/Jennifer.  I think he believes it's the tattoos and dyed hair that makes him her superior.

And that he thinks Diane is his friend seals the deal.

I think Cowboy should win it all.  It would be interesting to see how soon that fool would get parted from his money!

Diane believes she will WIN BB5 by a vote of 4-3.

Can anyone -- ANYONE -- who watches suggest who it is she believes would vote for her?????????
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 11:51:31 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2004, 11:51:15 AM »

I like the idea of glass dishes for ice cream.  The glass helps keep the ice cream colder, I think.  Glass is also good for salad plates, which ideally should be chilled.

Martini glasses, however, are a poor idea for an ice cream dish.  This has more to do with the center of gravity than anything else: the container portion of the glass is perched so high upon the stem, that knocking the glass over seems inevitable.  Ice cream, after all, must be cut into appropriate sized morsels with a spoon; this act of cutting involves pressure, throwing the center of gravity off.  Hence, disaster.  Martini glasses are much better suited for seafood cocktails, where the food is pierced with a fork and plucked from the glass, a different physical act entirely.

I'm getting the idea of serving a root beer float in a champagne flute...hmm, that sounds quite delish!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2004, 12:04:18 PM »

Hey what did you guys think of BB5 last night?  I was actually happy.  Although I couldn't believe that Jen said she would never vote for Cowboy.  That seemed really mean-spirited to me.

I won't talk about TAR till tomorrow (MBarnum, you haven't seen it yet, right?). But the ending left me both happy and mad!

Ditto on both subjects....But as you know, without my beloved Karen on BB5, it's taken a downhill turn for me.

And re: TAR:  Have you ever seen ANYONE as hatefully angry?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 12:19:23 PM by Stuart »

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2004, 12:13:33 PM »

MBARNUM, don't READ THIS, it's ABOUT THE AMAZING RACE****

Ditto on both subjects....But as you know, without my beloved Karen on BB%, it's taken a downhill turn for me.

And re: TAR:  Have you ever seen ANYONE as hatefully angry?

Do you mean Colin when he couldn't get that bull to move? :)

I think he has a bad temper.  But what happened to his team was so unfair.  They missed their flight.  Then the yield was used at a time when there is no way a team could catch up.

IMO, yields should not be the deciding factor in a team's dismissal. I know most people probably wanted them to be eliminated.  But all I could think of is what a great team they are, always winning.  It really made me mad that they could be 2 minutes behind in a taxi, and have their game destroyed, with no chance of catching up.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2004, 12:15:47 PM »

Yes, I will be watching TAR tonight!! Can't wait! But as for BB5, I was certainly sorry to see Nakomis leave and although she said she wasn't angry at anyone, it does seem she harbored some ill will towards Michael! Which I think is too bad.

My thought is that Drew will likely win....too many people seem to dislike Diane and Michael.

I miss Karen too!

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2004, 12:16:37 PM »

LOL! Thank you for the warning Jennifer!  :D

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2004, 12:19:41 PM »

DR RLP, I'm not sure if Diane was completely serious when she proclaimed that she would win 4-3 (was it against cowboy?).

But in the jury we have: will, adria, nat, karen, jen, marvin.

I think it's pretty clear that adria and nat and karen won't vote for her.  I do think that will likes her.  And if he goes by his own experiences, he would probably vote her over Cowboy.  I think Marvin would potentially vote for her. ANd I do think that Jen would vote for her. I guess she's figuring the last vote would be drew.

It is POSSIBLE, that Diane could win over Cowboy.  Many people don't like him.

Btw, it would sort of be funny if it was Diane and Cowboy in the finals (although that's not really possible, since diane and cowboy would take drew to the finals), and Jen voted for Diane over her bro.

I'm still really unimpressed at what she said about her brother to Julie.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2004, 12:21:26 PM »

Allow me to take this opportunity to wish all our Dear Readers--and all those who are dear to them--a very happy and healthy and peace-filled New Year.  L'Shana Tovah.

Thank you Jay and the same back to you.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2004, 12:22:11 PM »

LOL! Thank you for the warning Jennifer!  :D

No problem. I was going to wait till tomorrow to discuss it.  But DR Stuart said something, and my answer had a spoiler in it.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2004, 12:23:11 PM »

« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 12:24:50 PM by Jennifer »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2004, 12:26:24 PM »

Thank you Jose.  I just received a packet from the NIH.   This year they included a pamphlet which includes restaurants.  I don’t have a car so I only go as far as I can walk.  I will stay somewhere along the main street.  The restaurant and shops are likely to be located between the NIH and my hotel.  I think I will need to eat early so I can walk back to the hotel before it gets dark.  I looked in the book and found Haandi Restaurant on Fairmont.  Three other Indian restaurants are listed, Aangan, Delhi Dhaba and Heritage Indian.  None of which sound like Ama Vegetarian Kitchen.  ;D I just noticedThe Original Pancake House-yum.  

Matt H I will have to check out those new TV shows.  I only one I have heard about is JOEY.

Panni I think it was a very good idea DD stayed outside of the torture chamber.  We went to the Count Dracula exhibit.  I didn’t care for the wax figures being tortured.

Sandra thank for the reminder-I want to get tickets to Much Ado About Nothing before it’s too late.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up