Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLASS SUNDAE  (Read 17037 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE GLASS SUNDAE
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2004, 12:34:15 PM »

Bruce, Jose asked my question regarding the sundae free.

Jose, I remember Farrell's just not from my childhood.  We were married and living in the valley the first time we went to a Farrell’s.  There was one in Pennsylvania we took the kids to.

Ben I love the photo of Anthony.  The deep fried oreo looks gross, not Anthony, just the oreo. :D

Emily I was allergic to honey cake when I was a child and never ate it.  

DiT where is the honey in the honey cake recipe?  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2004, 12:37:25 PM »

Thank you Dan-In-TO!

It looks like a yummy recipe and I'll try it either tonight or tomorrow :)

Let us know how it works out! Then maybe I'll try making one.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2004, 12:55:16 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY ROSH HASHANAH TO ALL  ! ! ! ! ! [/move]

(I'm not Jewish, but I hate missing out on a holiday.)

By the way, does anyone know the little boy who is afraid of kreplach joke?  I heard it once years ago (Orson Bean on Johhny Carson told it.)  I thought it was incredibly funny but whenever I've tried to retell it, it goes over like a lead balloon.  I'm not sure if I've gotten the details mucked up or if it's in my delivery (probably both.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2004, 12:59:27 PM »

Good Afternoon!

-Quite the slow-going morning for me today... Hmmm... In any case...

After some Googling, I came across the Farrell's website:

http://www.farrellsusa.com

The "History" page has a nice history (duh!) of the company including the recent efforts to bring back the "old" Farrell's.  :)

I remember going to Farrell's when we lived in Seattle, and when we moved back to the Washington, DC area.  Right now, unfortunately, it seems that Farrell's are only a West Coast franchise right now.  Ah, well... :(

I just wish there was a Locations map on the site.  All it mentions on the front page is that they're in Santa Clarita.

*Hmm.. And I just checked the site again - It doesn't look like it's been updated in a while, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2004, 01:10:02 PM »

Thank you Jose.  I just received a packet from the NIH.   This year they included a pamphlet which includes restaurants.  I don’t have a car so I only go as far as I can walk.  I will stay somewhere along the main street.  The restaurant and shops are likely to be located between the NIH and my hotel.  I think I will need to eat early so I can walk back to the hotel before it gets dark.  I looked in the book and found Haandi Restaurant on Fairmont.  Three other Indian restaurants are listed, Aangan, Delhi Dhaba and Heritage Indian.  None of which sound like Ama Vegetarian Kitchen.  ;D I just noticedThe Original Pancake House-yum.  

You may want to check out the restaurant guide on washingtonpost.com for more info on those restaurants, but in the meantime...

-And with the way the restaurant business changes, my opinions and memory may be out of date by now...

Aangan - Very good.  Good seafood preparations.

Dehli Dhaba - Steam table type place, but very good made to order items.  Although, they just upgraded and remodeled their Virginia location, so maybe they've done the same to their MD location.

Heritage India - Ooohhh, I forgot they were out there now.  I'd check out the menu here first.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2004, 01:10:57 PM »

DR Jane - And I also believe there's a branch of Montgomery Donuts a couple blocks up from NIH too!  :D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2004, 01:17:08 PM »

I watched my DVR copy of FATHER OF THE PRIDE and SCRUBS from last night. Other than the elder lion voiced by Carl Reiner, I don't find the lions interesting or funny in the show, but the Siegfred and Roy sequences are hysterical. They are stealing the show every single week from the lions. Too bad they can't go back and turn the show into a hit featuring these two hilariously inept characters. Very funny and very campy whenever they're on.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2004, 01:18:36 PM »

As to what Jennifer/Nakomis said about Cowboy to Julie:  She was telling the absolute truth about Michael.  He has avoided her and seemingly gone out of his way to ally himself with everyone who is against her.

She's actually lucky she didn't have to put up with his silly butt all the time.  She owes him no allegiance.  He certainly showed none toward her...at any time in the game, actually.

Diane has said far worse things about Cowboy and others in the house.

As for Diane getting votes from Will, Marvin or Nakomis?

I figure she "might" get Adria and Natalie's vote...but no way do I think she will get a vote from anyone else currently in the sequester house.  

Karen? Nope.  Marvin?  In what universe?  Just because he kissed her once doesn't mean he's too stupid to realize she's manipulated him out of the house.  If it comes down to Drew and Diane, Drew will get ALL the votes, IMO.

If it's Cowboy and Drew, Drew will get most votes.

If it's Cowboy and Diane (and I don't see this happening at all), Cowboy will take it all.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 01:19:39 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2004, 01:19:31 PM »

I still haven't gotten around to SIX FEET UNDER's season finale from Sunday or last night's QUEER EYE, but those are on my agenda for tonight. No rehearsal for me tonight, so I have some time to catch up on recorded programming so I can clear my DVR.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2004, 01:31:54 PM »

So DRJOSE do your walks ever take you over by North Orange Grove Av?

Computer seems to be up and running....lost a couple of posts....grrrrrrrrr...Comcast....but at least it works now and then!

Off to theatre soon, anyway.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2004, 01:34:01 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY ROSH HASHANAH TO ALL  ! ! ! ! ! [/move]

(I'm not Jewish, but I hate missing out on a holiday.)

By the way, does anyone know the little boy who is afraid of kreplach joke?  I heard it once years ago (Orson Bean on Johhny Carson told it.)  I thought it was incredibly funny but whenever I've tried to retell it, it goes over like a lead balloon.  I'm not sure if I've gotten the details mucked up or if it's in my delivery (probably both.)

DTM,

I never heard the joke, but I Googled "Orson Bean" and "kreplach" - and came up with this. If it is the same joke, then it must have been the way Orson Bean said "kreplach."

Orson Bean once told a story about a boy who had an aversion to kreplach, exclaiming "Oy, kreplach!" and running away when presented with it. The concerned mother consults with a wise old rabbi. The rabbi explains to the boy what it is and how good it is for you (in Orson Bean's impeccable Yiddish accent). The boy takes this in, smiling and nodding. The rabbi advises the mother that all is now well. When she next puts kreplach in front of the boy, he screams "Oy, kreplach!" and runs away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: April 04 2001  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2004, 02:33:10 PM »

Yep.  That Orson Bean knows how to start a laugh riot!

Oy!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2004, 03:10:04 PM »

I'm on my way to the theater, and then I shall be back.  Keep the home fries burning.

Michael

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2004, 03:15:10 PM »

.  L'Shana Tovah.

Isn't she a rapper?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2004, 03:26:45 PM »

My first question who is the tall blond guy who is playing Stuart in the photos from Stages? It doesn't look like Sammy Williams?

http://www.brucekimmel.com/stages.htm

Also everyone else who is pictured there appear on the LP?
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2004, 03:54:07 PM »

Evening folks!  I forgot to tell you that I had another wonderful night sleep on my new memory foam pad.  Even after working all day today I don’t feel as tired as I always do.

Some questions for our Jewish friends on the board asked in ignorance but with a wish to know so said ignorance will be replaced with knowledge (Did I put that diplomatically enough?) ?  

Tonight is the New Year—so how do you celebrate it?  I’m sure you don’t wait until midnight and go outside and hit a frying pan with a spoon or honk car horn, etc?  What year is this?  Why is it that year as in when did the Jewish people start counting them?  I heard someone at work say these are the “High Holy Days” –what does that mean exactly?  Are there Low Holy Days as well?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions so be forewarned and forearmed.   :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 04:00:16 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »

My DVD of "Angels in America" arrived today.  Will have plenty to watch this weekend!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2004, 04:14:02 PM »

Some questions for our Jewish friends on the board asked in ignorance but with a wish to know so said ignorance will be replaced with knowledge (Did I put that diplomatically enough?) ?  

Tonight is the New Year—so how do you celebrate it?  I’m sure you don’t wait until midnight and go outside and hit a frying pan with a spoon or honk car horn, etc?  What year is this?  Why is it that year as in when did the Jewish people start counting them?  I heard someone at work say these are the “High Holy Days” –what does that mean exactly?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions so be forewarned and forearmed.   :D

Actually, it's nice that you're interested!

You are correct in that we do not mark the entry of the New Year with blowout parties and drinking too much bad Champagne.  (Though Saturday Night Live did a hysterical live news report from Times Square in one of its earlier seasons when the holiday fell on a Saturday night.)

We view Rosh Hashanah as a time of renewal and reflection.  Many Jews who do not otherwise go to synagogue will do so on Rosh Hashanah (which means, literally, "head of the year") and Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement.)  According to tradition, G-d opens up his/her Big Ledger on Rosh Hashanah and over the course of the next ten days determines what the next year holds in store for each of us.  The Big Ledger is closed at the conclusion of Yom Kippur.  That is why our holiday greeting often includes allusion to being inscribed in the Book of Life.  The ten day period from the beginning of RH to the end of YK is considered a very special period in the Jewish year and that is why it is called the High Holy Days.  They are also known in some corners as The Days of Awe.

As on most Jewish holidays, we celebrate by eating traditional foods to mark the holiday.  At Rosh Hashanah, our challah (the traditional egg bread) is in a round shape as opposed to the usual braid to note the continual cycle of life.  We dip apples into honey to reflect our wishes for a sweet year.  (That is why honey cake and taiglach are traditionally eaten at RH time, too.)

Yom Kippur, however, is a day of fasting.  But even a day of fasting cannot escape Jewish tradition, as the breaking of the fast is usually treated as a celebratory meal of sorts.  In our house, we always broke the fast with lox and bagels.  Many families traditionally eat boiled potatoes and sour cream to break their fast.

The year beginning this evening is 5765.  Theoretically, this is to mean that Creation occurred 5765 years ago tonight.  Most Jews view this--and much that is told in the Bible--as metaphoric.

Hope that helps!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2004, 04:22:05 PM »

Thanks for answering my questions, Jay.  I've always wondered but never really had anyone to ask.

So here come some more questions.  Does each of the ten days mean something different?  Like a Good health day? Good luck day?  Do you eat something special to mark that day--such as the bread on it's day and apples in the honey on another day, etc?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2004, 04:23:59 PM »

I think I messed that question up.  What I meant was are certain foods eaten on certain days (in the same order every year).
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2004, 04:36:43 PM »

Thanks for answering my questions, Jay.  I've always wondered but never really had anyone to ask.

So here come some more questions.  Does each of the ten days mean something different?  Like a Good health day? Good luck day?  Do you eat something special to mark that day--such as the bread on it's day and apples in the honey on another day, etc?

No.  Other than for the first two days, which are Rosh Hashanah, and the last day, which is Yom Kippur, there is no distinction amongst the days, other than for the Sabbath that falls during the period.

Jay

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2004, 04:37:39 PM »

I think I messed that question up.  What I meant was are certain foods eaten on certain days (in the same order every year).

You may be thinking of the Passover Seder, a ritual meal, with that question.

Danise

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2004, 04:48:38 PM »

Do you give something up during this time?  Like  Fat Tuesday that starts Lent (I know that's different but you get the idea).  

Thanks again for answering my questions.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2004, 05:01:07 PM »

Do you give something up during this time?  Like  Fat Tuesday that starts Lent (I know that's different but you get the idea).  

Thanks again for answering my questions.  

On Yom Kippur, we give up food and sexual relations.  Very observant Jews will not wear leather on Yom Kippur, either.  The thinking is that we emulate angels on that day, and angels manage without the proscribed items as a matter of course.

Danise

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2004, 05:08:09 PM »

Thanks again, Jay.  I'll give you a break now.  Thanks to you, I know a lot more then I did before.   :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2004, 05:17:22 PM »

DTM,

I never heard the joke, but I Googled "Orson Bean" and "kreplach" - and came up with this. If it is the same joke, then it must have been the way Orson Bean said "kreplach."

Orson Bean once told a story about a boy who had an aversion to kreplach, exclaiming "Oy, kreplach!" and running away when presented with it. The concerned mother consults with a wise old rabbi. The rabbi explains to the boy what it is and how good it is for you (in Orson Bean's impeccable Yiddish accent). The boy takes this in, smiling and nodding. The rabbi advises the mother that all is now well. When she next puts kreplach in front of the boy, he screams "Oy, kreplach!" and runs away.

Hmmm...that describes the joke alright.  It doesn't seem very funny now.  But I was howling when Bean told it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2004, 05:23:57 PM »

Question #2

Can you talk about writing the music score for All American Woman (Poster Below). Did you watch the movie first to get inspired? Has any of the music used in the film reused elsewhere. Everyone I am sure will like all the dirt on this project!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2004, 05:47:15 PM »

Something for DR Matt Hough

Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2004, 06:19:44 PM »

Jose are you suggesting Montgomery Donuts are special?  I guess I will have to have one now, if I notice them. :)

Thank you for providing so much information on the restaurants.   If only I could eat all day instead of taking tests. ;D

For the Farrell’s history http://rkbaker.home.netcom.com/body_the_beginning.htmly-

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2004, 06:21:51 PM »

Wow, I have not been feeling well today.  There is painting being done.  And I'm having a very bad reaction to the primer.  Had really bad headaches today.

Feeling a bit better now.  Tonight was  the final Canadian Idol.  Tomorrow we will know who the winner is.

Anyone who can (I'm assuming only those in Canada for the  next 2 hours) VOTE THERESA. :)

(1-866-9-4365-01). (I wonder if that # works in the US).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up