Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TUESDAY DAY HIGH  (Read 15448 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:TUESDAY DAY HIGH
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 08:11:54 AM »

Page Two (a la Paul Harvey):

"Sleepers" -- especially the scene in which Woody has disguised himself as a robot and is passing around the pleasure ball.

"What's Up, Doc" -- especially: the sequence where Mabel Albertson keeps getting tripped as she tries to make her way to the elevator; the sequence where Madeline Kahn is being dragged from the ballroom, her heels leaving skidmarks on the ballroom floor.

"The Man With Two Brains" -- especially:  the encounter with the little girl following Kathleen Turner's accident at the start of the film, and  the scene in which Steve Martin exclaims: "Into the mud with you, slime queen."   Also, the appearance of Merv Griffin -- and the reason for it -- was a hoot.

"Love and Death" -- Keaton and Allen and the Spanish (?) ambassador.  Woody and Diane take turns trying to bash the ambassador over the head with a wine bottle, but each time they have to hit themselves...the sight of Keaton sliding down the wall with her hair getting stuck on the paneling had me in stitches.    And I giggle every time I think of "wheat"!

Live theater:

"An Evening With Dame Edna" -- I laughed so hard I was in tears.  After the first 15 minutes, my cheeks hurt.  I didn't recover for a full week.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 08:21:00 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 08:18:51 AM »

I forgot about The Musical of Musicals. I laughed so much that the man sitting next to me in the theatre, as we were waiting for the subway train, said he enjoyed seeing someone laugh out loud as I did and really enjoy himself in the theatre.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004, 08:41:03 AM »

Yep!  That's correct.  I guess it has been announced!

Actually I don't think it's been announced officially.  Someone in the know just posted the info on ATC.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2004, 08:53:41 AM »

***HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DRS JOY AND NOEL!****

As for the TOD - Having written comedy for many years, I find it hard sometimes to just laugh. I tend to nod approvingly and say, "That's funny."
HOWEVER - I do laugh from time to time, yes sir. The first thing that came to mind is the "Chuckles Bites the Dust" episode of Mary Tyler Moore, That is a perfect half hour (or 24 minutes) of comedy. No matter how often I see it, I laugh until I have tears in my eyes.
There were some moments in WHAT IF? - which I also saw numerous times - which made me laugh without reservation ( for 2, at eight - corner table). The Oklahoma trailer being among them, of course.
As for films, here are some that I can think of at the moment:
TO BE OR NOT TO BE
THE COURT JESTER
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
A FISH CALLED WANDA
AIRPLANE
parts of SLEEPER
SOME LIKE IT HOT
...and I've got to include some screwball comedies, which I love. Back later with that.

Panni

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2004, 09:00:36 AM »

Before I shower - some other comedies (some screwball) that made me laugh - some I haven't seen for years, so who knows how I'd react now...
NINOTCHKA
ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
I MARRIED A MALE WAR BRIDE
HIS GIRL FRIDAY

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2004, 09:06:28 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2004, 09:08:19 AM »

As for the TOD - Having written comedy for many years, I find it hard sometimes to just laugh. I tend to nod approvingly and say, "That's funny."
HOWEVER - I do laugh from time to time, yes sir. The first thing that came to

I went to see "Something About Mary" thinking I was going to have a laugh-out-loud fest. But the best I could do was, as you say, nod (and only occasionally) and say, "that's funny."

"To Be Or Not To Be" (both the Jack Benny and the Mell Brooks versions) would also be on my list.

Emily

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2004, 09:11:04 AM »

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DR Andrea was in NY this week visiting her boyfriend.  She told me she was wanted to buy me a Wicked window card to add to my fledgling collection for my upcoming birthday.

I said YEA and gave her a list of places she could get it and a frame (which I offerred to pay for knowing how expensive they can be).  Also, her being there would alleviate the problem of expensive shipping and/or customs fees.

She found a frame that fit the standard window card (14x22) for relatively cheap but could NOT for the life of her find the actual window card that listed the original cast instead of the current one.  Knowing that was the cast I saw, she wanted to get me the former.  '

By the the time she realized she'd have to motor over to Triton (where they DID have the OBC window card) they were already closed.  

No worries I thought... I'll just order it online from either the Gershwin (which I forget to tell Andrea sells the merchandise for the show including this window card) or from Triton itself.

But gahhhhh when I found out that not only will the Triton poster end up costing me AT LEAST $36 US in postage on top of the cost of the actual poster plus tax (WHICH I REFUSE TO PAY IN PROTEST) the Gershwin's online shop - which has the poster and for an excellent price - will not ship to outside the US.

So the end result is that now I have an empty frame and nothing to put into it without going into bankruptcy.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 09:12:21 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2004, 09:16:00 AM »

Ooh and even more cause for anger: Triton is charging $36 USD shipping for something which the US Postal Service online calculator says could cost as little to mail as $15 USD!!!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2004, 09:22:05 AM »

I actually liked parts of THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT which was always a part of Jack Benny's act in which he stated it was the worst film ever made. Not so!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2004, 09:30:42 AM »

I'm sorry DR Emily.  I feel your pain.  I'm sick of customs charges and ridiculous shipping charges too. :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2004, 09:40:08 AM »

Another film that had me laughing out loud and guffawing:

"Porky's"

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2004, 09:41:18 AM »

What if:

The presidential/vice presidential candidates this year were women.  What image would they project and would we vote based on looks???

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2004, 09:41:44 AM »

What if:

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2004, 09:42:12 AM »

What it:

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2004, 09:42:45 AM »

And the piece de resistance among the What Ifs:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 09:43:20 AM by RLP »

Panni

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2004, 10:07:59 AM »

Okay - that made me laugh.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2004, 10:24:51 AM »

Cheney is actually the most becoming of the four.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2004, 10:29:51 AM »

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DR Emily, have you tried browsing for a Wicked window card on eBay?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2004, 10:30:56 AM »

Bush looks uncannily like my neighbor Linda.

And does anyone else see the resemblance between Kerry and Celine Dion?

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2004, 10:42:06 AM »

Panni, did your neighbor lady happen to mention the name of the Miss Universe??? (from yesterday's post)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2004, 11:06:25 AM »

Kerry puts me in mind of what Margaret Hamilton must have looked like when she went out on the town!

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2004, 11:36:33 AM »

I think Edwards is the best looking of the men.  So his female version should be more attractive than it is.  Who dressed and wigged him? ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 11:41:11 AM by Jennifer »

td

• td
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2004, 11:42:19 AM »

So glad to have seen PORKY'S mentioned, for it's true, I find it terrifically funny.

I notice that there are not a lot of BRINGING UP BABY fans floating around here, but, once the olive falls on the floor, I'm rolling too.

Hearty Congrats and Best Wishes to Noel and Joy on this Happy Anniversary!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2004, 11:45:42 AM »

I think Edwards is the best looking of the men.  So his female version should be more attractive than it is.  Who dressed and wigged him? ;)

Haven't a clue.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2004, 11:56:25 AM »

Well, I cannot believe I omitted THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL, which still produces huge guffaws!

I heard my MRI results today:  no spinal damage, so I have to begin therapy on my back for a pinched nerve, and I probably need a medication for arthritis.
I've got an appointment with the surgeon about the abscess, and I guess he'll schedule it soon.

DRD-I-T, if a waitress at any restaurant said to me "what'll you have, baldie," my answer would be either "your head on a plate" or "your job."  Familiarity can breed fast contempt in a dining situation.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2004, 11:59:22 AM »

I notice that there are not a lot of BRINGING UP BABY fans floating around here, but, once the olive falls on the floor, I'm rolling too.

I originally put Bringing Up Baby on my list but then I thought I remembered that the notes said to list the movies that one saw in a movie theatre.  But looking back now I see that was not the case, so add my name to the list of BUB fans.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2004, 12:34:26 PM »

Mbarnum -  Still working on it. I haven't seen the neighbor lady today.

Elmore - The MRI results must be a relief!

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2004, 12:42:51 PM »

I adore BRINGING UP BABY, but as I mentioned the first ones that popped in my head, they must have made the strongest impression.

Can't join the PORKY'S congregation, however. I was not amused. Just not my kind of comedy. ANIMAL HOUSE didn't hold a lot for me either, but I know both were wildly popular with others.

Now, LIFE OF BRIAN and MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL - now we're talkin'!

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »

Those Presidential mock-ups were the things of nightmares. Thankfully, the four are men.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up