Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TUESDAY DAY HIGH  (Read 15488 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TUESDAY DAY HIGH
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2004, 12:45:13 PM »

Not a lot of time this afternoon to watch a film (early rehearsals tonight to work on choreography), so I popped in some ROCKY & BULLWINKLE episodes and had myself a hearty laugh or ten.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2004, 12:52:47 PM »

Yes, DRPanni, it was quite a relief.  I was not looking forward to back surgery at all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2004, 01:00:03 PM »

Good news DR Elmore!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2004, 01:08:19 PM »

Good news DR Elmore!

Thank you, DRJennifer.  How was your Thanksgiving?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2004, 02:02:51 PM »

DRD-I-T, if a waitress at any restaurant said to me "what'll you have, baldie," my answer would be either "your head on a plate" or "your job."  

DR Elmer,

Some years ago the New Yorker ran an article by a former waiter. From what he said, I URGE you never to make a snappy comeback like that until after you get your food.

When I was in New York last year I went to Katz's Deli for the first time in ages. The restaurant has really caught on since "When Harry Met Sally." It was loaded with tourists. Not only that, but the waiters have mellowed - they were actually helpful. The pastrami was still great, but the place just wasn't the same.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 02:03:39 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2004, 02:14:17 PM »

DR Elmer,

Some years ago the New Yorker ran an article by a former waiter. From what he said, I URGE you never to make a snappy comeback like that until after you get your food.

DRD-I-T, I'm more an Elmo than Elmer, but after my answer about jobs or heads, I'm not certain I'd let the waiter pollute my meal by staying!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2004, 02:58:48 PM »

DRD-I-T, I'm more an Elmo than Elmer, but after my answer about jobs or heads, I'm not certain I'd let the waiter pollute my meal by staying!

DR Elmore -

Sorry about the slip.

BTW - ticklish?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2004, 03:08:52 PM »

Movies already mentioned:
THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL
WHAT'S UP DOC?
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

Live Performances (also already mentioned):
An Evening With Dame Edna (I'm not exactly sure if this was the correct title, but I did see Dame Edna live in Seattle!)
Noises Off!  (I never saw the movie, but a local theater company did it and it was hysterical!)

And a Very Happy Anniversary to DRs Noel and Joy!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2004, 03:16:48 PM »

DR Elmore -

Sorry about the slip.

BTW - ticklish?

And pricklish!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2004, 03:21:47 PM »

Well, here's a howdy-do!

Our building didn't get mail today because the Post Office truck didn't deliver, or delivered to the wrong address, the bag of mail for our building, which is left in the postbox on the corner for the carrier to pick up.   I'm in 202 West 82nd, and 200 and 204 received mail today.  We've been shafted by Uncle Sam!
Am I angry?  Betcha.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2004, 03:45:38 PM »

Whaddup dog?  Having a strange day.  Got the galley via PDF, and, of course, the only possible thing they could have screwed up they DID screw up.  So, they're fixing it and I'll have it back tomorrow.  The book proper looks great and is perfect - it was just the copyright page, the only page they had us leave blank.  I sent them the copyright page exactly as we wanted it, what font, and all they had to do was do it -they didn't.  So, they have to do it again.  Utter fools.  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2004, 03:50:31 PM »

Happy Anniversary to Joy and Noel!!!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2004, 03:55:35 PM »

Dubya is in town for the debate tomorrow, and the traffic around the university is all tied up. Entire parking garages are closed down, which makes a mess for the students who need to get to class. Traffic is restricted around the resort where he'll be staying. I expect I'll just stay inside tomorrow, as security will be tight everywhere.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2004, 03:55:56 PM »

George congratulations on receiving the purple award-sounds like you deserved it.

Bruce you didn’t mention if Juliana loved Sullivan’s Travels, as I imagine she did.  

JRand I don’t get the joke. ???

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY NOEL AND JOY!  Gosh time flies.  Did you do something very special today?

Jane

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2004, 03:57:09 PM »

Elmore, so glad you a feeling better today. :D :D

DiT we ate at a restaurant near the Gershwin that wasn’t suggested as a deli and had high, Greek style like ceilings.  It was deli food and the sign outside said they were famous for their blintzes, which is what we had.  Since my friend has only eaten my blintzes she was disappointed and surprised how big they were.

RLP those pictures are hysterical.  Kerry is one weird looking gal.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2004, 04:01:13 PM »

I often laugh hysterically at movies making it more difficult to recall the ones that made me laugh the hardest. Most often there are major scenes I laugh through, not the entire movie.

WALK DON’T RUN
WHAT’S UP DOC
SHALL WE DANCE
NOISES OFF
BRINGING UP BABY
BLAZING SADDLES, not so much anymore
MORGANs CREEK
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
THE COURT JESTER
ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

Does anyone remember the play ENTER LAUGHING?

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2004, 04:12:06 PM »

Thanks for asking DR Elmore, but I didn't really do anything special for Thanksgiving. :(

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2004, 04:29:51 PM »

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY NOEL AND JOY!  Gosh time flies.  Did you do something very special today?

Well, a lot: Read these delightful well-wishes on HHW, had lunch with my father, packed and came back home, dealt with a graphic crisis trying to get the cover of the CD of Our Wedding - The Musical to the folks at

Theatremania.com

and now we're off to a fancy Indian dinner near Lincoln Center.

It's possible we'll watch baseball at some point.  Go Sox!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2004, 04:30:44 PM »

To continue my NY saga from Saturday's posts:

The last day of my NY adventure was also great fun.  On Friday afternoon Penny met me at St Patrick’s Cathedral.  I had already walked around the outside admiring it’s beauty.  Together we went inside, just in time to hear the choir.  Afterwards we went to Sacks and the Palace Hotel and just explored different hotels as we walked around.  We stopped for a bite to eat, sitting outside on a bench.  Later she walked me back to my hotel where I had just enough time to get ready for the evening.  I met my nieces at a nice Indian Restaurant near the hotel.  

Following dinner we walked to the theater.  One of my nieces had not wanted to see MOVIN OUT but agreed since she was out numbered.  She kept thanking me.  The show was fantastic.  The energy was incredible and the dancing amazing.  I could go on and on.  I saw two shows in NY and gave them both standing ovations-not bad. :D

Keith hasn’t had a free moment to put my photos on the computer-maybe tonight and I will post them tomorrow afternoon.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2004, 04:33:10 PM »

Noel, have a wonderful romantic dinner.  What is the name of the restaurant?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2004, 04:33:26 PM »

So DRs Noel & Joy:

When will the CD of Our First Anniversary:  the Musical be out?

Youth wants to know.

And so do I.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2004, 04:50:22 PM »

Yes, Juliana professed to love Sullivan's Travels.  She laughed quite a bit throughout.

I certainly remember the film of Enter Laughing, which I always thought very funny, especially the performances of Elaine May and Jose Ferrer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2004, 04:51:12 PM »

Shortly I will be on my way to the Dena of Pasa to see a show which I'm not really looking forward to.  Maybe I'll be surprised.  

td

• td
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2004, 05:27:45 PM »

Can't join the PORKY'S congregation, however. I was not amused. Just not my kind of comedy. ANIMAL HOUSE didn't hold a lot for me either, but I know both were wildly popular with others.

You know what?  I'm not a fan of ANIMAL HOUSE, either. (and I do like Verna Bloom!)

(also, I first saw BRINGING UP BABY on a big screen, at a revival house).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2004, 05:32:38 PM »

Jane - I remember ENTER LAUGHING. And I enjoyed it and laughed (not on entering). I'm trying to remember the name of the actor who played the lead. Have to look it up.
I'm a sucker for stories about young actors starting out in the theater. If only they hadn't cast George Hamilton in ACT ONE!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2004, 05:35:47 PM »

Looked it up. Reni Santoni. I'd forgotten what a great cast it had. I want to see it again now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2004, 05:43:07 PM »

You know what?  I'm not a fan of ANIMAL HOUSE, either. (and I do like Verna Bloom!)

(also, I first saw BRINGING UP BABY on a big screen, at a revival house).

It was in 1979 right after seeing ANIMAL HOUSE I met Tom Hulce.  On a scale of 10 I'd give him a 0.5.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2004, 06:08:31 PM »

The Dear Father and Stepmother have arrived from New York (Rockland County, actually) for a five-night visit.

They are unwinding right now, and we'll be staying in tonight.  Tomorrow night we'll stay at home again and watch the debate.  Thursday it'll be Miss Melissa Manchester at the Cinegrill, Friday it'll be Alma at the Los Angeles Theatre, and on Saturday it'll be the Los Angeles Philharmonic at Walt Disney Concert Hall.  They leave on Sunday.  

I will check in and post as I can!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2004, 06:11:55 PM »

I do like PORKY'S, and along with it, ANIMAL HOUSE is one of the great slob comedies of all time.  Watched AH just recently and it still makes me laugh in all the same places.  Apropos of that, BK & I saw Mr. Stephen Furst (AKA Flounder), a bit slimmer than in his animal halcyon days, holdng court at the Ray Court show.  He was the recepient of one of my favourite lines uttered by Dean Wormer:  "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 06:17:33 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jane

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2004, 06:15:23 PM »

Bruce do you recall going on evening field trips with the high school drama class? Three events stand out in my mind.  The first was the play ENTER LAUGHING and I remember it was very funny.  Like Panni I wish I knew who played the lead.    Did you go to that with us?   The second was Marcel Marceau live where I laughed hysterically.  The third memorable event was not a comedy but a film of the stage production of OTHELO with James Earl Jones.  I’m still looking for a copy of that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up